Start by marking “Who Was Here?: Discovering Wild Animal Tracks” as Want to Read:
Who Was Here?: Discovering Wild Animal Tracks

Who Was Here?: Discovering Wild Animal Tracks

What animal was here? Can you solve the mystery? Study the picture and read the clues to figure out who left each set of tracks. Then turn the page to find out about animals from around the world. Watercolor and collage illustrations show the many kinds of trails that animal leave behind in mud, snow, and sand.
Published October 1st 2014 by Millbrook Press (Tm) (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Here?

Julia
This was one of those books I snatched from my niece's library pile before she recognized that she even had it since I enjoy this type of knowledge to begin with. I am not quite certain what I was expecting out of the book but it didn't really hit home for me and that may have just been since it was presented more as fiction that it was presented as fact.

The animals that were presented in the book were mainstream popular types and if you weren't a beginner than you would find the book too eas
Jenny Boyce
I have to say that while I loved this book as an adult, I would have absolutely adored this book as a young child (and my parents would have loved reading it to me).

This book introduces the tracks of each animal in a fun, rhyming manner. Once the tracks and the animal that made those tracks are introduced, there is some information about the animal that made the tracks, so that the child can learn information about each animal. While the book starts out with animals found in North America, it qu
Sunah Chung
This informational picture book contains life-sized animal tracks and let readers figure out the animals who left these tracks. Nine animals’ foot prints could be learned with descriptions of functions related to the shape of the foot. Illustrators use watercolor and collage techniques to illustrate the animals and their tracks. Texts are elaborated in verse, so readers could enjoy the poetic rhythms when reading this book in addition to facts on the topics. Websites and reading materials for fu ...more
Ina
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
The water color and collage illustrations are breathtaking. The text invites the reader to engage with the story. The reader is shown wild animal tracks, and given a four line rhyme "clue" and asked to guess who was here? My story time audience loved this book, although it was a bit long for the youngest in attendance. There is information about each animal and so this is a great addition to story time fir anyone wanting to incorporate informational texts in support of common core.
Ronda
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is sure to ignite a puzzle-solving frenzy even for those students who seem to be in the not-interested-in-anything-unless-it's-Pokemon camp. Richly textured simple illustrations of an imprint paired with a brief set of rhyming clues lead the intrepid reader on a journey through woodland, rainforest, and desert habitats as each new puzzle is presented with a call to identify "who was here.". Readers may be surprised at some of the answers and may well be led to learn more about some of. ...more
Timothy Farring
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this would fit well in a science unit about the ecosystem around the school, and discovering the animals that live around the school. I liked the art in this book I think that it was cute and added to the story. I feel that this would be a great addition to any science teachers library
Katherine
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A favorite of some of my littlest patrons. Such a fun, educational picture book. One page talks about the track, the next talks about the animal that made it!
Brittany
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves to have animal tracks and other nature related things pointed out to her while we walk around so she really enjoyed this book. It was a nice beginners guide to the shapes of some types of animal tracks. It's not in depth but still informative and well illustrated.
Sandy
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are so many possibilities with this book. This is definitely a book that can be reread over and over again but it could also be a fun book in which you ask your animal loving children facts about the animals they read about and see if they can recall which animal fits the definition. I love these types of books as the possibilities are endless if your child likes the subject matter. This book covers wild animals and it begins by showing an animal’s foot track in the snow, mud or s
Katie Fitzgerald
Animals leave their tracks in snow, sand, and mud, and the reader must guess: who was here?

Though the cover is forgettable, the inside of this book is very attractive and eye-catching, and it captures the feeling of being out in nature, following animal tracks through the woods. The repeated question of "Who was here?" always appears as part of the setting, rather than in the block of text, which contributes further to the earthy feeling of the entire work. The book is set up as a guessing game,
Tasha
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The riddle of animal tracks is deciphered here in a fun guessing game. The tracks of each animal are displayed along with information about the tracks and the animal that left them. Readers then turn the page to see whether they guessed right about what animal left those tracks. The pages with the animal have scientific information about the animal, their size, weight and their tracks. Tracks are left in mud, snow, sand and more. These too are hints about the animals, making the book speak to ha ...more
Heather
Curricular Tie: Science and Language Arts

How it can be used to enhance instruction:
It is more text heavy than some of the other books, so I would read it in small chunks. I would also have students discuss the lack of text features and what they might have added if they were the author so that it would be accessible to a wider audience. That being said, the book is full of wonderful illustrations and each page is full of information about a different animal. Each animal is introduced as a footpr
Tanya
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For those kids who loved the little board books of who owns that tail or ears or eyes with a picture and then you guess and turn the page, there is this offering of a book for the older set. On each page is a picture of a footprint left in sand, mud, snow, etc., and clues about the animal. Then, you turn the page, and you are given a paragraph of factual information regarding the animal such as weight, habitat, body characteristics and so forth. Some pages have two sets of animal tracks typicall ...more
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Life-size animal tracks from around the world coupled with rhyming verse ask kids the question 'who was here?' After the animal is revealed, there is information about the animal including it's size, diet and why it tracks look the way they do.

Kids ages 6-9 enjoyed guessing which animals made the tracks, some were challenging since animals from around the world were included; but, this made for a great opportunity to learn about something different.

I especially liked when two footprints of ani
Amy Adams
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A book in verse, juxtaposed with easy-to-understand facts, this book acts as several different books in one. First, you have a picture book with beautiful watercolor and collage illustrations. Each spread features an animal's footprints and a short, four-line riddle verse to help kids answer, "Who was here?" Next, you have an interesting non-fiction book, with a paragraph of fun and readable facts about each animal. Finally, you have an accurate and life-size picture of just how big these animal ...more
Swalenagriffin
Kids will enjoy answering the question, “Who was here?” Rhyming couplets are used to give the reader clues to animals that may have left tracks on the ground, snow or sand. The rhymes flow easily without any awkwardness. When the reader turns the page, they see a two-page layout of the mystery animal(s). Additional information is given on each animal for readers to explore. It is noted on the copyright page that the animal tracks are life-sized. At the end of the book, there is a section for web ...more
Sara
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book blends an easy picture book on tracks with a nonfiction book giving lots of great facts and details on tracks. Though the book isn't habitat specific, for our students, who go out to the local wildlife refuge, this will be an interesting read to give them an understand of both tracks they might find and the special qualities of the animals behind them. I would love to see more books in a series specific to different regions and countries. The resources at the back - including both ques ...more
Rachel Bayly
Nov 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: ed230
This nonfiction book is all about discovering animal tracks.

While reading this book kids are making discoveries and learning so much. This book has great back matter, and resources for continued research and activity with animal tracks. I think it is written in a really cool way, and would definitely prompt curiosity and discovery.

Illustrations: collage, watercolor

Posada, M. (2014). Who was here?: Discovering wild animal tracks. Minneapolis, MN: Millbrook Press.

Tags: animals, science, discovery
Andréa
In Who Was Here?, Mia Posada pairs wonderful watercolor and collage illustrations with rhyming phrases to give children enough clues to figure out each set of animal tracks for themselves. Then, on the following page, the track-making animal is revealed, along with an informative description of the animal.

Kids will have fun guessing "Who was here?", and they'll feel good about themselves when they get the answer correct. They may even be inspired to go on some animal tracking adventures of their
Cariadne
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smartly done! This book is appropriate for youngsters and even kids who don't need to sit in your lap for story time. It's fun to read and play detective and learn about the animal the tracks belong. Wonderful job combing education and entertainment. The addition of URLs to learn more is a wonderful touch. The team here did a great job putting this book together for kids and their adults to enjoy and use over and over again.
Dolores
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ntg-arc, 2014, z-to-post
My students ABSOLUTE favorite thing to do is animal research. Pets, farm animals, zoo animals, wild animals...they love them all. This book about animal tracks and its accompanying illustrations is sure to spark the interest of inquisitive young readers. The clues provided are informative enough that children should be able to identify many of the tracks before the answer is revealed. An accompanying paragraph with more thought-provoking facts about each animal make this a must-have book.
Samantha
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rhyming text paired with close-ups of animal tracks in a variety of climates challenges readers to identify what animal has recently passed by based on the tracks they left. The answer appears on the following spread and gives a paragraph of information about the animal(s).

Back matter includes a checklist of clues to look for when examining tracks to identify animals, websites with photos of animal tracks, and a further reading list.

Highly recommended for sharing with PreK-2+.
Carol
This nicely illustrated picture book plays a "guess who" game with the reader. Footprints are shown and described along with a location description, then the reader is asked, "Who was here?" When you turn the page you find out if you were correct when you see a lovely illustration of the animal that left the track. There is also an informative paragraph about the animal to further teach the reader.
Lynn
The cover misleads the reader into thinking it is a winter animal tracking book, so when the page of the desert animal appears, it feels awkward. Some of the animals would be very easy to guess for most children, and the descriptions give interesting information without overwhelming the audience. Great for inference, and prompting children to explore for tracks and trying to describe them!
Libby
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun introduction to reading animal tracks. The kids loved it, and I thought it was neat how the tracks were life-sized. My one disappointment (and this is not a quality issue, just a difference from what I was expecting) was that the tracks shown were from animals around the world, so it couldn't really be a "field guide" kind of introduction.
Liz
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Descriptions of animal tracks told in verse and beautifully illustrated, ask the reader to "guess" who made them. Good clues tied to the animals' habitats. Visually pleasing, great language, and interesting facts are shared in this nonfiction picture book. Enjoyed!
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A two page spread gives a rhyming clue and an illustration of an animal track. The next page gives the answer and an information paragraph about the track and animal. A lovely collection that will surely engage students in grades 1 - 3.
Paula
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love spying animal tracks in the winter. This book gives readers rhyming clues along with an illustrated close up of the animal's track. The reveal page includes interesting facts about each animal. A Chickadee Award Nominee.
Michele Knott
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the clue-answer format of this book. Young children will love listening and reading the clues to make their guesses, perfect for using text evidence to prove answers. Great book for animal adaptations.
Carrie Gelson
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved the guess and read to find out aspect of this story. Would be perfect to share a few pages at a time.