Start by marking “For Real” as Want to Read:
For Real

For Real

No parents. No limits. No clue what they're in for.

Shy, cautious Claire has always been in her confident older sister's shadow. While Miranda's life is jam-packed with exciting people and whirlwind adventures, Claire gets her thrills vicariously by watching people live large on reality TV.

When Miranda discovers her boyfriend, Samir, cheating on her just before her college
Library Binding, 304 pages
Published December 9th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about For Real, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Schly No, he used her and all those other girls just to stay on the show longer.

Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received a free hardcover of this book from the publisher (Random House) and e-copy of this copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

2.5 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). My favorite part about For Real would definitely have to be that it was original and unlike any contemporary novel I've read before. I found it super creative to have
Evie
So, yesterday I got a box of December ARCs from the fantastic folks at Random House and thought to myself: "Wow, that is so cool! And so.. early!", and I was ready to toss it under the bed for future reading (you know, closer to the publishing date). But before I did that, I sat down to closer inspect the books. I started reading the synopsis, etc. And then, on a whim, I decided to read a few pages of For Real (OK, I admit, it looked like a perfect summer read!).

5 hours and one skipped meal lat
Claire Legrand
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, totally addicting, heartwarming story about reality television, overcoming fear, and the love between sisters. I seriously could not put this down once I started reading it; the many plot twists and vibrant characters kept me glued to the page, and one bittersweet plot element was particularly well done. I can't wait for everyone to read this!
Dahlia
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
That was the first time I've stayed up way too late to finish a book in a whiiiile. But it was really fun, with a great, well-executed premise; fun, layered characters; solid character development; and a great sisterly relationship that made me wish mine were here to hug. Really well paced, though to be honest I would've happily read another hundred pages.
Kat
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
*I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I read For Real in one day because I could NOT put it down. It was so much fun! It was a quick and easy read that made me giggle several times. I was stressed out during the week I read this book and it did a great job in relieving some of that stress. While it could've used more depth in order for me to connect to the story more, I did find the sister focus refreshing. I loved the growth that they went through. It was al
Allison
It wasn't that this book wasn't good. It was pretty good, but it wasn't what I was expecting based on the blurb. It's not a romance. If you're looking for a travel-the-globe-on-a-reality-show romance, you're going to be sorely disappointed like I was.

This book wants to be about sisterly bonding or whatever, but I had a lot of issues with the way the older sister (Miranda) acted towards the younger sister and main character (Claire). My sister and I are the same age difference these characters a
Sheyenne
This story is really really good and way better than I thought it would be. After reading this Claire and Miranda should become heroes to all females.

Summary: Claire is a TV nut. She loves any and everything about TV and can tell you about any show (even the bad ones). So when her sister Miranda finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her they decided to get revenge ... and they do it on TV.

My Opinion: So from the beginning I thought I knew what this story was all about and what would happ
Emily (Falling for YA)
Claire’s sister Miranda caught her boyfriend cheating on the night of her college graduation party. With her life in shambles Miranda moves back in with her parents and sister. It is Claire who plots the best revenge. Claire and Miranada are going to be on Around the World the same show Miranda’s cheating ex is going to be participating in…and they’re gong to make sure he goes down!

For Real read like a reality TV show. There was a lot of running from place to place, crazy challenges, and plottin
Trisha
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Reality tv is the great equalizer"

What a wonderfully hilarious book. I don't watch reality tv, but I've seen the news articles and heard the stories. It all sounds so cut-throat and ugly.

For starters, I love Claire. She says she's shy and scared, but she seems pretty awesome to me. Add to that Miranda, the spurned girlfriend and shake that around with a reality "Race around the world" to compete with Miranda's ex-boyfriend - ugh, you have a wonderful mix.

This is light and fluffy and has so man
Liviania
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty much sold on FOR REAL by the end of the first paragraph, when heroine Claire muses, "I wish I were watching this on a real television. I fear I'm missing the nuances of his six-pack." Claire is a reality-television addict, because she wants to work in TV herself and it is the great equalizing genre.

It's always been her weird hobby, but when her sister Miranda dumps her cheating boyfriend, Claire decides to help Miranda get revenge. It just so happens that a slot has opened up for tw
Abbie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
If there's one thing this book has taught it is to NEVER JOIN A RACE WITH MY SISTER.

I love my sister, she is smart and logical and hard-working. But if we ever had to undergo a stressful event such a competition we'd probably tear each other's hair out.

This book has made me appreciate my family relationships a bit more. I loved seeing Claire grow into a more strong and mature character. Her relationship with Miranda was touching and I loved them both. The Amazing Race-inspired plot was really
Jen Ryland
This was EXACTLY the book I needed this past weekend. Though I'm a big fan of The Amazing Race -- which some of this book is definitely modeled on -- I haven't found much success with YA books that take place on reality shows. A lot of books like that use the reality TV premise to create a lot of manufactured drama.

Yes, there was some drama in this, but the good kind. And I loved that this book used the backdrop of reality TV to write a moving, character-driven story that raises interesting que
Gillian Berry
Jan 09, 2014 marked it as to-read

I'm willing to give this shot, but I've got my reservations after Red. It's an awesome blurb, though.
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

“My sister wants me with her as she starts to heal, and the image of me hiding out on the back steps with my phone won’t be the one that lingers in her mind until the next time we’re together.
I have another chance to prove myself, and it starts right now.”

Eighteen-year-old Claire Henderson’s older sister Miranda has it all. Beauty. Popularity. Confidence. Vivacity. If only her taste in men were half so perfect. Whe
Magic Shop
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fun, family, and funny novels.
Recommended to Magic Shop by: Goodreads.com, public library.
When I saw this book I thought it looked like a really cute and fun book to read. It was really good and I loved the plot. It was funny, sweet, had different places involved, and gave me a better insight of how reality tv works. I loved the characters, especially Claire because I was able to relate to her the most. But really the book had a lot of factors that give you a good feeling. I loved all the little challenges they did, it gave me a better understanding of some cultures in different plac ...more
Peach
4.5

My name is Peach and I'm addicted to all things reality TV. You name it, I'll read (watch) it.

After Miranda catches her boyfriend, Samir, cheating, she's rightly devastated. Her sister, Claire, sympathizes with her and insists on doing whatever she can to help. After all, her sister is perfect . Not long after the infidelity debacle, they discover Samir has signed on for a reality show called Around The World, a parody of The Amazing Race. Claire urges Miranda to audition for the show as a
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
What a great story about a relationship between two sisters!!! Claire’s sister, Miranda, caught her boyfriend cheating on her. In order to get back at Miranda’s ex Claire says they should go on the same reality show that he is going on. Little do they know is the show is not what they expected it to be.

I have to admit I read this story in one day, completely taking full advantage of the rainy day we were having. This was such a great read that kept me engaged the whole time and I could not put
Erin Goodstein
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
For Real is a pretty fun book and a fast read. I was definitely engaged throughout my read, although I wouldn't say I enjoyed it that much. The two main characters, Claire and Miranda, don't have a lot of substance and come off as unpleasant people in almost every scene, making it hard to relate to them or root for them. Particularly in Claire's initial interactions with Troy, it becomes nearly impossible to feel pity for her. Thus, the happy ending feels a little off, when neither Claire nor Mi ...more
Holly
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a hilarious, fun read!!! I loved all of the different countries and everything, it was so different from anything I've read before! The reality show was such a fun component of the book and it was interesting to see the behind the scenes look of how reality shows seriously are. However I really enjoyed this book, there were parts that the protagonist Claire annoyed me so much! But in the end she really progressed as a character and became a better person.

I haven't read Since You've
Nati Delgado
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Mi primer libro sobre un reality show, me encantó la historia de que dos hermanas quieran vengarse del ex-novio de una de ellas, lo mejor de todo fue como fue creciendo la relación entre ambas y el desarrollo que tuvo Claire. Al principio me molestaba mucho la actitud de Claire pero me al final me di cuenta de que su actitud era justificada dada su inexperiencia sociabilizando con otros. Sin duda me llevé una gran sorpresa con este libro, además de que es rápido de leer y se disfruta mucho.
Jennifer Girard
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-in-2017, 5-stars
It was like this book was written for me!

Road Trip, Sisters, Drama and a Reality Tv Show that's basically The Amazing Race? Sign me up! I couldn't stop reading it! I loved it!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

In the spirit of full disclosure, I didn’t care for Cherry’s debut novel, Red. I’d had high expectations and they crash landed. After that, I wasn’t planning on trying her sophomore effort unless some trusted reviewers enjoyed it. Then one day I got an itchy request finger, but I didn’t expect much to come of it since RH usually doesn’t approve (or deny) my NG requests; they sit there until the title
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ahhh. :) That was perfect. Exactly what I needed to get me relaxed and smiling again. Sometimes books are heavy and take a lot out of me emotionally. Not this one. It was my guilty pleasure type of story, the kind that causes me to smile throughout and leaves me with happy feelings when I finish it.

Claire’s sister, Miranda, walks in on her boyfriend in a compromising situation. She’s extremely upset, as is Claire. No one messes with her sister. So the two girls decide that revenge is the best op
Inês
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe there's nothing real about this show, but I'm a real person with real emotions.

It surprises me how much I love this book....

description

So, it did took me a while to finish 'For Real' because I kept getting distracted with TWC (another far-too swoon-worthy book that I can't possibly describe in 20000 characters) but, nevertheless, I finished it today. The only thing it pains me is how underrated this book is!

This book tells the story of two sister that are the complete opposite of one another.
Tanja Voosen
Mehr eine 4,5! ^^

I LOVED IT. FOR REAL.

Wenn ihr diesen Sommer ein Contemporary Buch sucht, das euch super unterhält, dann MÜSST ihr FOR REAL lesen. Die Geschichte basiert nicht nur auf einer mega awsome Idee, sondern die Umsetzung ist auch genau so gut, wie der Klappentext klingt. Die Schwestern Miranda und Claire nehmen bei einer Reality TV Show teil, in der es um ein wildes Rennen in 80 Tagen um die Welt geht, wobei man einen Haufen Geld gewinnen kann. Der Grund, warum beide daran teilnehmen is
 Lori (Ficwishes)
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dec-2014
4.5 Sister Power stars. Review coming soon.

description

I've been reading a lot of paranormal and heavy themed books lately, so FOR REAL came at exactly the right time for me. I needed something fun and light to cleanse my pallet, so to speak. This book had it all; family, friendship, romance, and personal growth.

Claire's older sister Miranda catches her boyfriend in the act of cheating on her. To get back at the fame-loving cheater, Claire comes up with the idea to go on a "race-around-the-world" reality TV
Kathy Martin
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
When older sister Miranda's college boyfriend Samir is caught cheating on her at her college graduation it is younger sister Claire who comes up with the perfect plan for revenge. Claire is a big fan of reality television and wants to work in television herself when she finished college. When she learns that Samir has auditioned for a reality TV show, she convinces Miranda to try out with her for the same show to get revenge.

While waiting in line for the casting call, Claire meets Will Devine w
Tiana
Oct 31, 2014 added it
Shelves: arcs, asked-to-review
I was planning on reviewing this closer to its release date, but then I started reading and couldn't stop. I guess that's saying something.

This book wasn't what I was expecting, but strangely enough ... I'm glad. At the beginning, I thought I knew the direction this was going, but then some subtle shifts start occurring and I realized I was happy with how things were playing out. Of course, I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'm being cryptic. Sorry about that.

Many of the characters surprise
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
This book was a pleasant surprise, I really wasn't expecting to like it since it doesn't fall under the type of books I normally read but I was really happy that I read it. Alison Cherry's writing style is sophisticated and relatable. It was a great change of pace from the typical YA novels out there. It's not about about a weak heroine finding true love, it's about two sisters trying to rebuild their relationship while taking revenge on the douchebags in their lives.

To read my full review of t
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Cherry Money Baby
  • Behind the Scenes (Daylight Falls, #1)
  • Anywhere
  • Latitude Zero
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • The Other Way Around
  • #16thingsithoughtweretrue
  • Taste Test
  • Unlovely
  • Relax, I'm a Ninja (Relax, I'm a Ninja, #1)
  • American Blonde (Velva Jean, #4)
Alison grew up in Evanston, IL. She is a professional photographer and spent many years working as a lighting designer for theater, opera, and dance. Now she lives in Brooklyn and writes young adult novels full time. She is represented by the lovely and amazing Holly Root of Root Literary.