Start by marking “How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal” as Want to Read:
How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal

How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal

How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal offers memoirists an easy-to-follow formula to create a winning book proposal that will attract agents and editors. Brooke Warner is a former acquiring editor and current publisher who breaks the nonfiction proposal into three editorial components and three marketing components. This ebook includes a section abou ...more
Published October 25th 2013 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Sell Your Memoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sell Your Memoir

Start your review of How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal
Thomas
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is much better than many books in this category--especially valuable are the examples of the chapter-by-chapter outlines and describing platform. Valuable.
Sherrey
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
With a memoir well on its way to completion, I've been muddling over what a writer does once the manuscript is complete, when you believe it's really ready for the hands of a publisher.

When the opportunity arose to review Brooke Warner's newly released book, How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal, I signed on to help spread the word about it. Little did I know that a majority of my questions would be answered while I read the book.

Warner succinctly and with clarity provides
Dhanamusil
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, memoir
This book is a must read for anyone thinking of publishing a book. The information is clear, concise and valid, making it accessible for any genre of book. I took Brooke's class on outline at the San Miguel de Allende writers conference and was at once struck by her authority and professionalism. Her expertise shines through in her book.With her many years as an acquiring editor, Brooke gives step by step advice on how to prepare a query package. She writes about "sweat equity" and how to appear ...more
Meredith May
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book works. I followed all the steps, hired Brooke to read my proposal, and it led to a book contract for my memoir, THE HONEY BUS: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and A Girl Saved By Bees (April 2019 Park Row/HarperCollins). I recommend this wise guide to all my writer friends and writing students.
Meredith
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book after hearing the glowing review Meredith May, author of the recently published memoir “The Honey Bus”, gave on the Write-Minded podcast co-hosted by Brooke Warner. May said this guide was instrumental in helping her secure her publishing deal, and I can see why. This guide offers very in-depth, specific, actionable items necessary to completing a memoir proposal. Warner explains the concepts and sections required, then dives in with specific examples from actual book propo ...more
Vonetta
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This eBook is a great guide to the proposal. I'd already written mine, but wanted some tips to whip what I'd dumped out onto the page into shape. Warner provides a step by step guide and some good examples. Knocking it down half a star because I wanted more examples from literary memoirs, which are harder to sell.
Clara
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brooke Warner of She Writes Press got paid to read memoirs to determine whether or not they got published in her previous job at Seal Press. So she has read tons of memoirs and she is just the right person to write this book. Peppered alongside the text in “How to Sell Your Memoir” are important tid bits or info she doesn’t want the reader to miss. Like how important a book proposal is.

She starts out with a Q & A, works up to your platform and then steps you through your book proposal, even givi
Isabelle
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I heard Brooke Warner and other panelists speak at the San Francisco Writers Conference about the importance of a strong book proposal. They noted that each book proposal is unique, but at the same time, if one is writing a memoir, then there are some guidelines to consider for this genre (as it is true for most other genres as well).

How to Sell Your Memoir books breaks down what is a potentially overwhelming topic into actionable steps with clear instructions of why the step is important, what
Cheryl L.E.
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-and-earlier
This book really helped a lot in writing my first book proposal as it gives a very clear road map of the process and what to include. The book also gives an option to have Brooke evaluate your proposal at a discounted rate which I took advantage of. The feedback was very helpful. I am so glad I bought the book and the evaluation...I feel like it gives my proposal a fighting chance.
Betty-anne
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all aspiring writers who want to take that brave & bold step to getting their work to the point of publication! This easy to read step by step guide is filled with excellent tips, best practices and invaluable "How To" illustrations. With gratitude to ms? Warner for sharing her expertise & enthusiasm for the world of writing, writers, editing, editors, publishers & publishing! ...more
Laurie Prim
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super book from an expert. The author makes a strong argument for the benefits of a proposal and offers thorough, clear steps to create one. Great examples throughout, as well as insider tips and encouragement to not be daunted by the process. I was pretty clueless going into this book and feel very prepared coming out. Talk about bang for the buck, this is one worth-it book!
Earline R. Ferguson
Mar 15, 2015
Jude Walsh Whelley
Feb 28, 2015
Heidi P Colonna
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2020
Dec 29, 2017

• Grace Period: My Ordination to the Ordinary
  • No Tougher Duty, No Greater Honor: A memoir of a Mortuary Affairs Marine
  • The Story of My Teeth
  • Hamlet's BlackBerry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age
  • The Penelopiad
  • Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles
  • American Spy
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • The Old Capital
  • Selling Your House For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance))
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • Know the Night: A Memoir of Survival in the Small Hours
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • A Place to Land: A Story of Longing and Belonging
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Signs of Life: Resurrecting Hope out of Ordinary Losses
  • Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words

News & Interviews