Start by marking “Everything to Gain: Making the Most of the Rest of Your Life” as Want to Read:
Everything to Gain: Making the Most of the Rest of Your Life

Everything to Gain: Making the Most of the Rest of Your Life

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
For Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, the transition from the White House to Plains, Georgia, was painful. EVERYTHING TO GAIN is their warm and unpretentious account of their successful adjustment to a new life, full of encouragement and insight for any couple wanting to renew their commitment to each other and to life.

From the Paperback edition.
Published May 12th 1987 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Everything to Gain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything to Gain

Elise
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
There's a family connection that prompted me to pick up this almost 30 year old memoir/self help book from Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter. In 1987, Tom stood in line many hours to get an autographed copy of this book and gave it to Mom and Dad. I don't know if they ever read it, but I hung onto it when we went through all the many, many books they had. By that time I asked Mom about it, she was not particularly fond of any Democratic president after Roosevelt, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book which is meant to encourage retired people to do for others and live a second life that counts. I've heard of Jimmy Carter's famous Sunday school in Georgia. we had this physician in our hospital who was privileged in listening to him which is the reason why I read for the first time this book written by him. the party that touched me the most was the story of the Brazilian politician who was helped by usgvt as he had fled to Uruguay. very touching indeed. thank you bot ...more
Dianne
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy reading this book. It is great reading about all the great things Jimmy and Rosalyn were able to do all over the world. They included a lot of great quotes from Jimmy Townsend. Some of my favorite are "Anybody who can still do at sixty what he was doing at twenty wasn't doing much at twenty." "Marriage teaches you loyalty, forbearance, self-restraint, meekness and a great many other things you wouldn't need if you had stayed single."
Sara
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Carters published this book in 1987, and they have followed their own advice about how to embrace "retirement age" and beyond. They have numerous suggestions for how to make the most of the second half of life. The Carters do acknowledge that, as a post-Presidential couple, they have experiences and opportunities that most people do not (as well as obligations), and they relate some of their plans for what the Carter Center would become.
Jelan
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reading a book by a former president and first lady about how to make the most of your retirement seemed a bit intimidating as I embarked on my own retirement. But it was great! Despite the fact that they have done so many incredible, admirable things since retiring from the White House (involuntarily, as they mentioned several times), I found this book both approachable and inspirational. Their style was very real and human and their advice very solid. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Mom
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What do Presidents do when they leave office?
I enjoyed reading and finding out.
I like that they had to have a plan of what to do, how to spend their time.
I like the story of telling how they wanted to help people--Habitat for Humanity.
I felt they were down to earth people, and that is the story I have read.
Interesting.
A very good read.
David
Sep 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, advice
President Carter wrote this book with his wife. Personally, I'm against collaborations with spouses, although I think most of the advice offered in this book is sound.
Advie
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wonderful to have a glimpse into their lives and I found their honest open talk to be wonderful too. Humorous in many areas. True and insightful wisdom. Thanks to them for sharing these things
Eamount
May 23, 2017
Frank J
Apr 09, 2015
Barb
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2016
Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2012
A.C. Yates
Jul 13, 2015

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter