Start by marking “The Door in the Mountain” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Mountain

The Door in the Mountain

(The Door in the Mountain #1)

The Greece of The Door in the Mountain is a place where children are marked by gods and goddesses; a place where a manipulative, bitter princess named Ariadne devises a mountain prison for her hated half-brother, where a boy named Icarus tries, and fails, to fly, and a slave girl changes the paths of all their lives forever.
Published May 15th 2014 by ChiTeen (first published March 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Mountain

Jen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
My thanks to NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors ChiZine Publications for an eARC of this book to read and review.

This was a DNF at 20% for me. Not because it was a bad book, in fact, I found it to be interesting and written well. But because it is loosely based off of Greek mythology and it was a little too loose for my taste. My Roomie is what I would consider very knowledgable on Greek mythology, so I ran the first 20% past her and she told me that, while it sounded interesting, it did no
Althea Ann
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sweet takes Greek mythology as her inspiration, and blends and reinterprets classic elements into her own fantasy tale.

I appreciated the two main conceits of the book:
First, the two main characters, rather than being the 'special' ones with unusual powers, are actually the only two developed characters who do not have powers and are just ordinary.

Second, the main viewpoint character is the 'bad guy' rather than the hero.

Both of these are not at all what is usually seen in fiction for young peopl
Erika
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary
The Door in the Mountain by Caitlin Sweet is part one of a two-part YA fantasy series, and is very much like a prequel story to the classic Greek myth of the Minotaur. The Door in the Mountain tells the story of how the Minotaur gets locked away inside of a mountain maze, and how Princess Ariadne, who is bitter and resentful of her god-marked half-brother Asterion, becomes in charge of the famous labyrinth. But the story is more complex than a simple prequel story, a slave girl named Char
Jessica Strider
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Pros: well developed characters, godmarks, clever twists on the referenced mythology

Cons: slow moving

Ariadne is an unmarked daughter of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae of Crete. As she grows up between the summer and winter palaces, surpassed in attention by her god-sired younger brother, Asterion, she becomes more and more selfish, cruel and bitter.

Chara, child of a slave and happily unmarked by the gods, befriends Asterion and helps him after the difficult and painful transformations into a bul
Liezl Ruiz
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Door in the Mountain gives us a fresh take of how life had been to Asterion as told in the eyes of his half-sister Ariadne in an alternate story of the Greek mythological creature, Minotaur. It is crisp and gritty but dragging at first. All characters are all-too-familiar if you know the famous Minoan Mythology. The author was quite good especially in her liberty of reshaping Ariadne's character as someone you would love to hate. If you love your Greek mythology, then prepare to see the Mino ...more
Terence
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it

The Door in the Mountain is a retelling of the Minotaur myth told from the points of view of Ariadne, traditionally the young Minoan princess who, smitten with love for the Athenian Theseus, aids him in killing the Minotaur, and Chara, her slave, who is a creation of the author.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. Like HM Hoover’s The Dawn Palace, an interpretation of Medea, Sweet has given believable motivations to her protagonists, even if – in Ariadne’s case – they make her the villain [which kind of
Koeur
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Publisher: ChiZine Publications
Publishing Date: October 2014
ISBN: 9781771481915
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: null

Publisher Description: The Door in the Mountain (Book 1 of a two-part series) is a place where children are marked by gods and goddesses; a place where a manipulative, bitter princess named Ariadne devises a mountain prison for her hated half-brother, where a boy named
Donna
It doesn’t take much to hook me into a story about ancient Greece so to find one on NetGalley about the labyrinth at Crete and the minotaur it housed it was a no-brainer for me. Luckily the publisher approved me and here I am. And I thank them for it.

This really was a wonderful book but it’s a story that you need to make an investment in. It’s a story that’s definitely more about people and character than about a fast action plot but I think Sweet’s painted just a brilliant portrait of all of th
Jacqie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'd been reading some dark stuff lately, and I thought this book would be a good change of pace. YA, Greek myths, light reading, right?

Oh so wrong. This is a dark book, in which Ariadne, the character whose head we spend the most time inside, is pretty much a sociopath. The book starts with her at the age of five, already jealous of anyone besides her that gets attention. Then, at age eight, she sets her cute little t
Rachel
The book is the first of a two-part series about Minos's Labyrinth and the Minotaur. Ariadne is the daughter of King Minos and Queen Pasiphae of Crete during the Minoan era. She is not godmarked like the rest of her family, and is especially resentful of her younger brother Asterion. He is her mother's favorite as he favors the god Poseidon and can transform into the Minotaur (who the local populace worship as a god) when fire is near. Ariadne is always being left behind and ignored so she decid ...more
Margaryta
Jun 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Door in the Mountain Another book that I chose from the Read Now section, and another disappointment. I ended up dropping this one at 38%.

I’m familiar with the myth of the Minotaur, of King Minos and princess Ariadne and the labyrinth, and I think I understand that the author was trying to give a back story to the well-known myth, to make it even more relatable and create a whole new level of understanding. Sadly this wasn’t the case at all.

There were too many character
Danielle Shipley
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, wow. That happened. I hadn’t expected the ending to be so abrupt; hadn’t realized beforehand that it wasn’t the end at all – that “The Door in the Mountain” was only book one, with a sequel to follow. That surprise discovery left me reeling, but I’m glad there will be more. Though the story was strange and dark and often uncomfortable, I find that I am not all opposed to a continuation of the excruciating magic.

I picked this book up from the store’s shelf on a whim, because I had book money
Emily
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging fresh look at the traditional Greek myth of the Minotaur.

Caitlin Sweet’s take on the popular Greek myth successfully creates a world of characters that are all flawed in their own way. No one character is fully likeable, but instead of drawing away from the story this mixture of flaws and perfection adds to its three dimensional feel, rescuing it from becoming just another story populated by people that have perfect beauty and fantastical powers. Her characters have petty grudges as
Jay
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This Was a good book it was really well written it really leaned toward YA though but even so the author did a fantastic job.
The characters were interesting, lots of personalties and lets not forget Magic & Mythology

A jealous sister passed over by the gods, a younger brother God born spawn by Poisden himself by an adulterous Queen. A king marked by Zeus and madness.

Adriadne never really knew the love of her parents the only
Laura L
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, signed
I want to give this five stars because I love Greek mythology more than any other, but I can't. I can't because it was a little too slow-paced for my taste. However, this rating should be a 4.5 and I will tell you why: it was so completely different than what I had imagined.

Firstly: the main character is a villain. This is amazing and is never truly done. Especially in YA. The best part? You actually feel sorry for her from the very beginning.

Secondly: unlike every other book where people have t
Nighteye
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Aah, when does the next book come? can't wait for it... fascinating and dark retelling of the myth about the Minotaur. goodmark and magic roams the lands.
As I've read one other book from Sweet I expected the book to be dark but not that one of the three main characters is a kid who is jealous of everyone and despite everyone and have the power and wits to try to destroy them too... the other characters is a slave girl and connected to Asterion, whom is the last character, and a ordinary boy with
Krista Ivy
A beautifully written book to begin a series. The characters are all from legend and incredibly distinct from each other. The interactions between them form together to give the story. Everything that happens comes from each interaction as a book should show.
Recommended for people who are into Greek mythology. Who want to understand and meet the legends.
Daisy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charlene Challenger
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sumptuous prose, riveting characters, intricate plot. What's not to love about this gorgeous book? It goes places you don't expect it to go, and it goes there fearlessly. I absolutely loved it.
Shala
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a bit of a prequel to the Greek story of the Minotaur.

Its an interesting telling and really gives you a reason to why the Minotaur's sister was so angry at him and treated him the way she did. I really liked that.

From what I understand the next book will be more of the classic story re told.

My only complaint is I found it a bit easy to get lost while reading this, the writing was very strong and includes thing you may have to look up or use inference clues to figure out so be prepared.
Lydia Timpson
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent retelling of Greek myths. There was a little oddness with the characters making them a bit unlikeable and, if you had no basic knowledge of Greek mythology then you might find the names confusing. That said it was a decent read and she handled the nuances well. Expect more thought-provoking than action scenes.
Colin Fleming
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With vivid, incandescent prose, Sweet reimagines classic Greek myths and characters, humanizing the Minotaur and showing us just how cruel and monstrous ordinary humans—the non-“godmarked”—can be.
Sorcha
Received from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

This is a reworking of the story of the Cretan King Minos, his family and the most famous monster of all: The Minotaur.

Everyone wants to be "GodMarked" (giving them fantastical powers) but not everyone gets so "blessed". Minos has an internal fire burning in him, and this can overspill sometimes with flames blasting from his skin. Pasiphae, his wife, controls water. Her son, Asterion, is born of heat and gods, to become one of the most iconic of
Chelsey
Book reviewed for netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
I'm actually not sure if I liked this book or not. Okay here's the deal. The book begins with Ariadne getting caught between her mother and father in a fight over godmarks. What are godmarks you ask? Godmarks are special abilities given to people from gods (i.e. communicating with animals, transforming into a bull, crying tears of wine, etc.). Unfortunately, Ariadne does not have a godmark and this comes to define her life. She w
Rachelle
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed The Door in the Mountain, by Caitlin Sweet, I’m not jumping up and down with excitement over it. It’s a retelling of the Greek myth about the Minotaur, Asterion, through the eyes of Ariadne, the daughter of King Minos of Crete, and a slave girl, Chara. The story contains all of the major players from the myth, including Daedalus, Icarus, and Theseus. It’s full of vivid imagery, and the world came alive easily in my mind. However, there were times when the pace got slow enough for ...more
Carolyn Injoy
The Door in the Mountain by Caitllin Sweet I received a free kindle copy of The Door in the Mountain by Caitllin Sweet, published by ChiZine Publications from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.
I gave this comprehensive story about ancient Greek myths four stars. Without a basic knowledge of those myths, I believe the character's names could become confusing. The author has clearly done research & demonstrates clear understanding of these myths.
As it was, this story had moments of slow
Lorina Stephens
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Caitlin Sweet approaches ancient Greek mythology from the YA market with a dark retelling of Ariadne and the minotaur's labyrinth at Crete.

Sweet's world shudders with the power of the gods. It seems near everyone but Ariadne has some eldritch and scintillating ability, mostly misdirected and excessive. Therein lies the undercurrent of Sweet's story: Ariadne's envy of the gods-given powers bestowed on everyone but her, but most especially her envy of her brother who is the minotaur.

One would thin
Charlotte
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was something I had picked up on a whim at Barnes and Noble knowing nothing other than what the short synopsis told me. From the synopsis, it seemed really interesting and I was really excited to read it.

However, it was not what I expected. First of all, it was very slow. There was a lot of explaining done in the beginning that made it hard to get through, and the whole book was basically just an explanation to get you to the next book. Nothing exciting really happened until the end.
Bec
The Door in the Mountain by Caitlin Sweet

Book Summary
Published by - Diamond Book Distributors
Release Date - October 21st 2014
Pages - 300
My Rating - 3 Stars

Review
I could see where Caitlin Sweet was trying to go with this book, but it didn't quite get there for me. It could've been epic, but instead there was so much backstory and filler that it let down the tension and anticipation that should've filled the reader.
I love mythology, so I was really excited about reading this book, and we all know the story of Ariande, Icarus and the ot
Derek Newman-Stille
As much as The Door in the Mountain is a tale of wonders, it is also a tale of human experience, focussing at its root on family conflicts. This is a tale of the toxicity of envy in a family, of rejection and the desire for belonging, of power and the loss of control. It is, at its roots, a tale of those everyday conflicts that shape the lives of people and turn them into who they will become. The power of transformation in this novel is not just one of characters who can turn into Bulls or bird ...more

• Apollo's Outcasts
  • The Shadowhand Covenant
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Tilly's Moonlight Garden
  • Trojan Women
  • Antigone - In a Version by Bertolt Brecht
  • Waiting for Odysseus
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Unhooking the Moon
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • Big Fat Disaster
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Masked Mosaic: Canadian Super Stories
  • Ion
  • Wish Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #3)
  • Dark Prayer
  • Snakehead
  • The Woken Gods
Caitlin Sweet’s first fantasy novel, A Telling of Stars, was published by Penguin Canada in 2003. Her second, The Silences of Home, was published in 2005. Between them, they were nominated for Aurora Awards, a Locus Best First Novel Award, long-listed for the Sunburst Award, and ranked in the top 5 of SFSite’s Best Novels of 2005. For a few years she was deluded enough to think that she might writ ...more

The Door in the Mountain (2 books)
  • The Flame in the Maze