Start by marking “The Princess and the Pea: A Very Short Tale” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Pea: A Very Short Tale

The Princess and the Pea: A Very Short Tale

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  486 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
This is available for free from various retailers. For a comprehensive list, see: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Pri...
Published October 29th 2013 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published October 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Pea

Brandy
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was adorable. I love Diane Setterfield. The 13th Tale is one of my top 5 books. I don't know why people are complaining. Cute, quick read with a snarky twist. It was free! It's from Diane! It's like it could have been one of the 13 Tales. I loved it.
Alondra
3.5 Stars

What a hoot! It was a cute retelling, and I actually snorted at the end.

It won't change your life, but it will pass a few minutes easily.
Laura Reading
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this as a palate cleanser. A very quick fun read between deeper longer tomes.
The classic tale has an updated ending, and who's to say how much truth lies in a fairy tale.
Mo
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not Recommended
A retelling of the classic children's tale, with a slight twist at the end. The twist was nothing terribly interesting, and it left me wondering why the author had ever bothered to write this.

Fiona Hewlett-parker
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads

Exquisite and funny, and VERY short, with writing like this (below) it is worth the 5 minutes it will take you to read!

"And the band, who had been present (just in case) at every one of these occasions, a specially composed “Anthem to
Joy” open on their music stands, were taken by surprise; those who had been watching the regents found themselves a bar and a half behind those who had taken their cue from the prince. So one half of the orchestra had to toot at double speed to catch up, whilst th
Earnie Painter
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It didn't pretend to be deep or gothic or intriguing. It said it was a Very Short Tale, and that's exactly what it was. Having read The Thirteenth Tale it kind of makes sense. I was expecting a dark twist, but oh well. It was still cute and sassy.
Dee
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
XD XD

I've always loved The Princess and the Pea, and Setterfield's take was cute, fun, and charming.

Anne
This was cute - a brief retelling of the old fairytale by a very gifted writer. A must for any fairytale devotee.
Chelsea
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short, but such a fun story! With a twist ending ;)
Angela
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A short rendition of a classic children's story. The twist in the tale was in keeping with today's modern times. Fun!
  • Dark Curtains
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Florencja córka diabła
  • A Window or a Small Box
  • Zippered Flesh: Tales of Body Enhancements Gone Bad!
  • The Undead Day One
  • Buddhism For Sheep
  • Murder at the Holiday Flotilla (Magnolia Mysteries, #9)
  • What the Heart Sees
  • Women and Other Monsters
  • Ghost Swim
  • Plague City
  • Derelict
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
“…a mistress of the craft of storytelling.”
The Guardian

Diane Setterfield is a British author. Her bestselling novel, The Thirteenth Tale (2006) was published in 38 countries worldwide and has sold more than three million copies. It was number one in the New York Times hardback fiction list for three weeks and is enjoyed as much for being ‘a love letter to reading’ as for its mystery and style. Her
More about Diane Setterfield...