Start by marking “Planes Go” as Want to Read:
Planes Go

Planes Go

The helicopter goes, "PITTATATATA PITTATATATA PITTATATATA." The jumbo jet goes, "Wheeeeeeeee VRRRRRRRRRRUUUHHHHHHHHHMMM." The propeller plane goes, "HUK HUK HUK WHIRRRRRRR WHIRRRRRR." Prepare for liftoff with 8 exciting aircraft and the noises they make in this irresistible board book! The long, oversized format lends itself to the shape of the vehicles and stands out on ...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published August 12th 2014 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Planes Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planes Go

Start your review of Planes Go
Alex
Jun 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: insecure planes
Just gonna buy this and call Marieke and make all the noises and make her feel bad because I am so much better at making plane noises than she'll ever be.

my kid will be like "will you read it to me" and I'll be like shut up kid, not everything's about you.
Marieke
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a compromise rating. The small reader loves it and it causes him to walk in circles putt-putt-putting and brmm-brmm-brmming but I am terrible at making airplane noises so I have a hard time "reading it." The artwork is nice and the words are written in an aesthetically pleasing way, but you can't really read the "noises." For each plane. At least I can't. The funny thing, though, is that this book was published in 2014. The last "plane" is a space shuttle blasting off. The space shuttle ...more
Manidipa Mandal
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beware the onomatopoeia. Your baby/toddler may be too fascinated with the sounds to shut up. Great illustrations a welcome bonus.
Quaneisha Jones
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
>To describe the sounds of the different airplanes, jets and rockets, Steve Light included onomatopoeia throughout the text which I think complimented the pictures well and it would give students the chance to engage with the reading by using expressive language and movement
>The story is very short and does not really teach a concept but if I were to read this story in class, I would talk a little bit about planes, how they work, mention some of the main parts and maybe have students
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is good for teaching onomatopoeias because of all the extended sounds and bolded words.
This book is also great for connecting pictures with real life things since planes are something you could see in the sky all the time and if you can have a child recognize a plane every time they see it and have them pointing and saying "plane."
Also, this book is just really fun and really simple for a younger child to read.
Beckbridge Family
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: things-that-go
The success of this book depends pretty heavily on your ability to make a series of sound effects for all the various flying machines. If you’re up for, your kid will probably appreciate it. Otherwise, no story line.
Janet
Another title in Light's board book series about transportation vehicles. This one is aircraft from blimp to supersonic jet and lots in between.
Katelynne
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a simple book but a ton of fun! It makes you think about the different subcategories of aircraft and you get to make fun noises, too.
Pip
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Make my 2yo overexcited to copy the plane sound
Drew Graham
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Planes and other flying contraptions are noisy machines.

This was a Christmas present from a sister-in-law and family, and it has been a big hit ever since. The Boy (2.5) can spot/hear an airplane from tens of thousands of miles away, and seeing them brightly illustrated and with amusing spelled-out sound effects is totally his thing. I never get over him pointing out a "superjanet jet". (I will say that the rocket at the end has a fun countdown, but is missing the sound of the takeoff. No
Barbara
Bright watercolor illustrations accompany the wonderful sounds made by various forms of transportation such as a seaplane, a helicopter, a jumbo jet, and a blimp. Young readers will be thrilled to be able to shout the sounds these flying machines make as their caregivers read the book aloud. They will like the little surprise at the end when the space craft heads into space. This is a terrific book for sharing with others and channeling their energy in a positive direction.
Lydia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think Mommy and Daddy have read this book 6 times a day each. Lydia loved it. Daddy did the sounds better, but Lydia loved it all the same. The pictures were lovely and brightly colored. Lydia would point out the clouds and the fire. Saying "Hot" for the fire. Drey added "no ticket" when reading the Blimp page. This was a great book.
Tasha
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Planes Go by Steve Light is the fourth book in its series which has previously covered trucks, trains and diggers. This plane book is very successful, focusing on different types of planes and then the sounds that they make. It’s the kind of book that small children will love to read to themselves aloud after they learn the names of the planes. A lovely addition to a great series.

Elvira
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I've read this numerous times to my almost two year old and he loves turning the oversized pages and hearing me make the sounds. I do add a space shuttle lift off sound which is missing and this along with the book taking off into the sky is his favorite part of the book. A definite read at least twice in one sitting for my son.
Samantha
A noisy look at different types of planes in an elongated board book format. Nice terminology and variety. Artwork really makes each type of aircraft shine.

Watercolor illustrations. Babies and toddlers.
Leslie
I read this book while visiting the new Amazon Bookstore in Seattle. The book is a gem and would be perfect for kids who love planes. The author has other themes if your reader is more into trucks or trains. Great illustrations!
Dianna
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The perfect board book. The oversized wide format first caught my baby's attention, and it was kept with the bold, simple illustrations and the plethora of sound effects. As a parent, I found this less annoying to read than I thought it would be.
Donalyn
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading this with me, my 5 year-old granddaughter, Emma, asked to take Planes Go home--a sure sign of a hit. Kids will love making all of the plane sounds and the repetition allows even the youngest child to read along.
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My 2 year old loves language and sound. This book is perfect for my airplane loving boy.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Light has several books in this series and they are sure to appeal to kids who favor books with ways of interacting/making with the book. This one will entertain kids with the sounds they can make.
Miranda Rosbach
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
An onomatopoeia sensation. Babies adore this clever book.
Michael
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kids-books
As simple as it gets - pictures of different aerial craft and onomatopoeia of the sounds those craft make. You can read it in two minutes, but kids love hearing you act out the sounds.
Heather
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The sounds are awesome! Simple and fun to read with my almost two year old.
Susan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the bright simple illustrations and sounds for each kind of plane (who knew I could do sound effects like that?!)
Christine Turner
This book could work for a storytime.
Professor
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you and your child like making the noises various vehicles make, it's hard to beat Steve Light's "X Go" books. This is no exception.
Maggie KutsBorg
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I sincerely hope you read this out loud, whoever you are, whether or not there are children nearby.
Paul
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Simply supersonics / all-out avionics!
Dr. Cheryl S. Vanatti
Read my thoughts over on Reading Rumpus: https://www.readingrumpus.com/2014/05...

• Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Broadway Baby: Do Re Mi: An illustrated sing-along to the Sound of Music
  • Slide and Find - Trucks
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Stars
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Press Here
  • ABCs of Mathematics
  • Rainbow Fish and the Sea Monsters' Cave
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since ...more