Start by marking “Triple” as Want to Read:
Triple

Triple

EGYPT -- where, hidden deep in the desert, a top-secret project to build a nuclear plant that will give the Arabs the bomb nears completion...

ISRAEL -- where the Mossad's top agent, Nat Dickstein, a master of disguise and deceit, is given an impossible mission: to beat the Arabs in the arms race by finding and stealing 200 tons of uranium without any other nation discoveri
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Triple, please sign up.
Virginia I suspect Follett's research included Elaine Davenport's "The Plumbat Affair", a non-fiction exposé of the apparent Israeli/ Mossad theft in 1968 (app…moreI suspect Follett's research included Elaine Davenport's "The Plumbat Affair", a non-fiction exposé of the apparent Israeli/ Mossad theft in 1968 (apparently at sea) of 200 tonnes of yellowcake (processed uranium ore), occurring in the wake of the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, after which France ceased supplying Israel with uranium ore for their Dimona nuclear reactor. Davenport's book was published the year before Follett's.(less)

Start your review of Triple
Karl Marberger
For the most part, it was written well enough. But the structure was a bit messy. Some parts were rushed while others were drawn out. It didn’t hold my attention that well; I couldn’t read more than 40 pages in a single sitting. The story could have been better with this premise.

Not particularly memorable.
Lynn Horton
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read one of Follett's historical books several years ago, and it didn't "do it" for me. So when I came across Triple, I decided to give his work another try.

There are many things to like about Triple. Follett obviously knows his way around constructing a story, and his character development is distinct and strong. The story is complex, intriguing, and (I think) completely unrealistic, but this is fiction, right?

I have a few issues with the pacing and detail: the former seems erratic,
Mike
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, 'spy' based novel. Although the main character is a spy, he spends the majority of the book pulling off a mission. But there are two other spy characters that get involved, giving the book it's name (I think...).

Early in the book, the main character is tasked with stealing a huge amount of Uranium for Israel. However, Follett does an excellent job of presenting the story in a political free manner... somehow. If anything, he comes across as Israel neutral, which is quite the accom
Corey
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun spy novel/action thriller by Ken Follett! Triple is about operative Nathaniel Dickstein is given the task of stealing 200 tons of Uranium for Israel to produce the atomic bomb, for the war against the Middle East. But it turns out Dickstein isn't the only one after it, the Russian KGB is after the Uranium, and a team of Fedayeen Terrorists are after it as well. After reading a couple chapters I understood why the book was titled Triple, it involves 3 different parties that are after ...more
Addy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So, I'm done with my 14th Ken Follett novel (all read this year) and if someone were to ask me to select the best 5 it would be a mighty difficult task. The way he weaves a story based on historical facts is simply stunning. Triple is another masterpiece - a Spy thriller based in the year 1968 when Israel were believed to have pulled off a mighty coup by stealing a huge consignment of Uranium ore(see attached pic).

The opening scene/prologue sets the story up beautifully wherein all the major ch
Wanda DeHaven Pyle
As a fan and author of historical fiction, I am a great admirer of Follett's work. However, this one was a bit too much James Bond for my taste. Still a good read overall.
Bob
I didn't start reading Follett's work till the 1990's with Night over Water. This and many others by Follett has made him a favorite author. By starting late I am playing catch up with his earlier writing, this being one of them.

Triple is a great spy mystery, excellent characters, fantastic story line and suspenseful. I still have several more earlier works of Follett's to read, I hope their quality is equal to this one.
Ed
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stand-alone thriller from author Follett in 1979. As I read this novel, I was reminded of the stylistic difference between other authors I read in the 1970s (Ambler, Forsyth, Greene, Le Carre) and how the espionage thriller has changed in the post- Tom Clancy era. Now some of the enemies are the same but the interpersonal relations have changed. Now a four man team will wipe out an enemy platoon and perhaps suffer a leg wound or a grazed scalp. In Triple, a band of terrorists were attacked by ...more
Heather T
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and really close to what really happened (something he didn't know at the time he wrote it).
S©aP
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vedi il commento a La cruna dell'ago. ...more
Jerry Beller
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Ken Follett. This is a thriller that will keep you turning the pages. Looking forward to the next release, as I have now read all of his books that I can find.
Dian Iriska
The book is about the espionage triangle between Russia/Egypt in one corner and Israel and Palestinian in the other two corner. It was started slow when the author trying to establish the story between all parties....or maybe it was me not having enough attitude to remember all the details :-) But if you could have a little bit more patience, all are getting more exciting towards the end. The closure however, was quick and painless....too quick and too easy. All in all, there are parts in this b ...more
Terry Lee
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Showstopper

Read this a as a holiday read,couldn't put it down. Thought the plot got silly at one point but was redeemed by the pace of this thriller . Excellent thinking man's James Bond.
Gerard
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follett, as gripping as always!
Hazel Mills
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast passing book pure Follet plenty of surprises to keep you on your toes.
Eadie
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020, audio-2020
EGYPT - a top secret project to build a nuclear plant that will give the Arabs "the bomb" nears completion.... — ISRAEL - Nat Dickstein is given the impossible mission: to beat the Arabs in the nuclear arms race.
RUSSIA - where top KGB officials have decided to tip the atomic balance in Egypt's favor....
ENGLAND - Dickstein makes what could be the fatal mistake of his career by falling under the seductive spell of Suza Ashford.
THE HIGH SEAS - where the Mossad, KGB, Egyptians, and Fedayeen terroris
Louis
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Ken Follett burst upon the thriller scene in the late 1970s, he shook the genre wide awake by combining some raciness with his plots. The fact that the heroine of Eye of the Needle had to make love to a Nazi spy to defeat him was a bit shocking while in keeping with sensibilities of its time. Triple was his next novel; it moves that model to the Middle East conflict. Today it feels a bit clunky but is still fairly thrilling. The book is a fast, fun read but not particularly memorable.
Charles Vrooman
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follet’s novel, “Triple”, is truly an action filled thriller. He has created a plot using spies from Egypt, Israel and Russia competing for nuclear weapons superiority in the Middle East. Even though this thriller was written around 1980, it’s ironic that we find this is still an issue with what’s happening with Iran today. That’s what made me want to read this thriller after I read the synopsis.
With Follet’s great writing style and character development, I was not disappointed with my decis
Carol
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a complex espionage tale in post-WW2 Europe. My takeaway is that you never know who to trust in the spy game. Convoluted novel. I don't pretend to understand all of the double dealing going on but enjoyed the ride.
Cynthia
A terribly boring spy story
RL
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good plot, but a chaotic finish left me wanting for a more descriptive ending.
Cathal Kenneally
I would probably be writing a better review had I never read any John le Carre. Maybe espionage is his forte but I prefer his historical fiction. I have heard about his other books but it's hard to get in to the Winter of the World trilogy and the Pillars of the Earth trilogy. All fantastic reads
Mr David
I enjoyed this book. I think Ken Follett wrote a good adventure tale as usual. I’d recommend it to his fans.
Lonni
Written in 1985, set in 1968...a fictionalized story of Israel deceptively gaining the uranium to build a nuclear bomb. Good characters and action. Group includes men on all sides who were at Oxford together in 1947 - one who be Palestinian Fedayeen, one an Israeli Mossad agent, and one a Russian KGB. Throw in a beautiful woman and a US mob boss!
Synnin
Perhaps my least favourite read of Ken Follett :S Perhaps, it wasn't just "my" topic afterall - shameful to admit I wasn't aware of the real background of the story, moreovere the whole idea of making the nuclear bomb and stealing the input for this operation didn't excite me as much as other Follett's plots.

I've read the first 50 pages and I still didn't understand what it was all about: an agent (working for whom?) meeting a professor (why?) at the airport, another double agent (working for wh
Virginia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! Highly recommended! I was shocked to find no movie was made of this beautifully-plotted, highly-visual spy-action thriller.

"Triple" just moved to the top of my list of best action-thrillers, & I have read scores of them. Why?

(a) based on fact. Action-thriller-readers must admit in their heart of hearts that a very good read based in historical fact leaps to the top of the pile for its credibility factor. See Elaine Davenport's non-fiction book 'The Plumbat Affair', published o
Anne
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I really like Follett, having started with his 13th century cathedral town book. I felt before I began this would be dated, cold war secrecy, atomic weapons. It was but it was still lots of fun. Sometimes these spy books get me a little lost because authors need to lead me a bit more than the average reader. But I enjoyed it, the background personalities, the personal goals, the extent of different industries one has to become familiar with to succeed.

But I do weary. And I jump to the last
Tim
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, spy, popular
Joe Stamber
Three students who attended the same party given by a lecturer at Oxford cross paths years later in very different circumstances. One is an Israeli agent, one an Egyptian agent and the other a Russian agent. The plot revolves around an attempt by the Israelis to pull off a heist that will put them on a more equal military footing with their Arab neighbours.

The main character in Triple is Dickstein, the Israeli agent. He is a bit of a James Bond type, albeit without being such a ladies man despit
Al
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Follett's early efforts and is very good....a British Jew who attended Oxford and then served in WWII before being captured and sent to a concentration camp is the main character. After the war he emigrates to Israel and becomes a topflight Mossad agent. His assignment in 1967 is to hijack a uranium shipment needed by Israel so that they can make their own nuclear weapons. This assignment brings him back into contact with several of his former student associates at Oxford prior to ...more

• Mirage
  • Those in Peril
  • U700
  • Return of the Eagles
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Night of the Fox (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter #1)
  • Edge of Eternity: by Ken Follett (The Century Trilogy, Book 3) | Summary & Analysis
  • A Forest of Eagles
  • The Cobra
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • Zero (Warriors #8)
  • The Agony of France (Alex Kovacs, #6)
  • Taos Lightning
  • Flight to Redemption (Samantha Starr #1)
  • The Warriors Series Boxset II (Warriors #5-8)
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Detective William Warwick, #2)
  • The Kill List
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 170 million copies of the 36 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5th, 1949 in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in Philosophy – later to be made a Fellow of t