Start by marking “No Death, No Fear” as Want to Read:
No Death, No Fear

No Death, No Fear

With hard-won wisdom and refreshing insight, Thich Nhat Hanh confronts a subject that has been contemplated by Buddhist monks and nuns for twenty-five-hundred years—and a question that has been pondered by almost anyone who has ever lived: What is death? In No Death, No Fear, the acclaimed teacher and poet examines our concepts of death, fear, and the very nature of existe ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Riverhead Books (first published August 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about No Death, No Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Death, No Fear

Lori
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, it has happened. I have reached the point in my life where death lurks closer and reaches out more frequently. This is not a happy topic; not many of us are calm in the face of it. But I am nearing 50 as my parents approach 80. "Guess who died?" has become a conversational staple with a huge cast of players. I think back to the neighbors I grew up with...and most of the adults of my childhood are gone. I have lost friends and classmates and colleagues. And then there are the celebrity deat ...more
Donna Quesada
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-5-star-50
I use the charming stories in this book for my own classes. Of all the books on my bookshelf about Buddhism and emptiness, this is the one I turn to when I need to come back home. Simply told, clearly described, and gently narrated, the charming stories that enhance the main body of the book convey the beauty of this changing universe that we are all a part of. By "looking deeply," we see the miracle that is right before us. We see that although it is ever-changing and forever unfolding into som ...more
Kyle
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a "self-help" spiritual book before. I read several books on how to cope with coming out back in the day, but this was the first non-Christian text to cross my path. I am kinda speechless.

The thoughts and actions that are presented in No Death, No Fear are universal. Hanh is a famous Buddhist monk, known for providing training in mindfulness and spirituality.

I am not gonna comment heavily on the writing. I don't feel as if nitpicking on a book that covers this subject matter doe
Danna
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beautiful! I found that if I read a whole lot of chapters in one sitting as I usually do when I read, it seemed repetitive and could be viewed as not much different than dime-store self-help fodder as some Goodreads reviewers have noted. Instead, I discovered it's best to approach this as a book of meditations. Read one chapter, slowly, and let it resonate with you for a while before moving on. A chapter a day would be a good method. When taken in that context, the repetitive nature of his metap ...more
Melissa
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
This book was amazing. Although I am familiar with Thich Nhat Hanh's work, I have never read a complete piece of his.

Given to me about 10 years ago after my father passed away suddenly, I am only completing it now. Funny how books come into your life, or you are able to sit down with them, at precisely the right moment.

Wow. It had a very natural flow to it and in the last chapter brings it full circle beautifully. There is no death, and therefore no fear. I am a practicing meditator and read qui
Larisa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is filled with buddhist philosophy and it "drowns" you with reflections on life and death, while showcasing the practice of breathing.

All in all, I cannot imagine a better way to define death other than continuation. And I cannot see a better way of approaching life.
Patience Thomas
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by a teacher who responded to my interest in gaining more acceptance of death. This book was reassuring that death is not the end but a continuation much like birth. For us to be fully present and be at peace with ourselves life is more dooable. There is no need to worry or regret by just living where we are in the here and now. Thich Khat Hahn writes that everything continues but in different forms thus there is no ending. Are we the same person that we were when we we ...more
Denizzz
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"birisine çok kızdığınızda ve o kişinin ortadan yok olmasını istediğinizde lütfen geçiciliğin gözlerinden derinlemesine bakın.eğer o kişi yok olsaydı, ne hissederdiniz?"
ilk defa spiritüel-kişisel gelişim tarzında bir kitap okudum. sürekli aynı şeyleri tekrarladığından, atlaya zıplaya çabucak bitirdim.yine de bana kattığı çok şey oldu.özellikle ölüm korkusuna farklı bir pencereden bakabilmemi sağladı.
Stef A.
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
My grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer. Learning of her illness brought up many feelings of worry, fear & anxiety concerning death & impermanence. I would recommend this book to anyone struggling with those same fears, or to anyone who is suffering the loss of a loved one. The insight is calming & deep.
Kirtida Gautam
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chakra-6
Very good book, but I was expecting something different.
I gave 3 starts because it was expectation mismatch.
Bria
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure I buy it.

It's fairly repetitive - in a way, it's effective, because it allows you time for the ideas to sink in and not just be words, and they certainly sound like just words, like just playing with language. That's part of the message, true, although it's hard not to be put off by it. He completely neglects defining anything, which I guess suits the philosophy, but to say that because a cloud becomes rain therefore the cloud IS the rain or because a paper cannot be without the fo
Michael Chrobak
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always found great solace in reading books like this, books that provide a paradigm shift without being stuffy or overly preaching in nature. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle was by far one of my favorites. I just find them hard to review for whatever reason. Perhaps because there is no ‘storyline’ or characters to discuss, and perhaps because the style of writing is so different from fiction writers. Either way, I hope I do this book the justice it deserves.
The best part about the concepts dis
Phil Calandra
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent analysis of the life, death and the nature of existence. By means of meditation, various parables and life situation metaphors, the author adeptly explains how the traditional views of existence are misguided. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Buddhism may be the most challenging of all philosophies. The views of "no birth," "no death," and "no-self" are very difficult to understand and accept for most people. There appears little constellation over the loss of one's individual ...more
Steve H
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 294, buddhism, grief, religion
Easy to understand, somewhat repetitive lessons on Buddhist ideas of impermanence and wholeness. I say "easy to understand," in that the examples make a lot of sense when I'm listening to them, but they're hard to wrap the head around in the long-term, and I'd have a hard time explaining the concepts to others without having to use the very examples given in this book.
Josh Harding
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
☁🔥🌻 ...more
Mengran Xu
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fear, in its essence, is future-oriented. We fear something terrible is going to happen, we fear we are going to lose something or someone, and we fear that when bad things happen, we won’t be able to resist and bear. There are two inherent characteristics of our fears—uncertainty and negativity, none of which is inevitable about future.

Future is never purely uncertain. It is uncertain if we will gain success or fame, even happiness and peace are not predictable. However, it is totally cer
Bryan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Since losing my son, this has been the most-healing, most-approachable book I’ve come across in months. I highly recommend it for anybody grieving, or who knows somebody grieving, or will someday grieve for loved ones - in other words, this book is for everybody, and that means you.

It’s a quick, nourishing read.
Suzanne
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I had been wishing to read one of Thich Nhat Hanh's books for about 2 years but that can be said for many, many books and there isn't always an obvious reason for why some title rises to the top of that stack. But in this case there is a fairly obvious reason: the recent death of my mother after a short but punishing struggle to stay in front of her cancer. This is the not the first book on death and/or grieving that I've explored in the past year; it is just the latest addition to that shelf. S ...more
Fry (Evra) Morgan
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
For once, I disagree with Hanh.
Not an intense dogmatic disagreement, but a gentle difference in personal perspective.

"Our greatest fear is that when we die we will become nothing," states Hanh in the first couple of pages in chapter 1, "We believe that we are born of from nothing and that when we die we become nothing. And so we are filled with fear of annihilation."

I wholeheartedly reject the notion that death and the consequent non-existence are undesirable, albeit inevitable, occurrences. I
Huy Nguyen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Có tám ý niệm nuôi dưỡng sự sợ hãi. Đó là ý niệm về sinh - diệt, đến - đi, khác nhau - giống nhau, có và không. Những ý niệm đó làm cho ta không hạnh phúc. Giáo pháp của Bụt dạy ta tám ý niệm đối nghịch gọi là tám không: không sinh - không diệt; không đến - không đi; không giống - không khác; không có cũng không không."

tác giả giải thích rằng cái chết thật ra là một sự bắt đầu mới, dưới một sắc thái hay hình dạng khác. Vì chúng ta không được sinh ra cho nên chúng ta sẽ không bị hoại diệt (chết)
pennyg
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simple language, simple parables teaching very complex precepts and concepts about death and the dying. Simple enough for an open mind to understand but often dismissed by the casual reader because of their simplicity. I find Hanh's writing clear, concise, thoughtful, simple and profound.
He is my teacher of choice and read him often.

Admittedly I may have been guilty of reading more than I practice. I first read this book two weeks before my son was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I read it at
dunianyawira
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
meskipun buku ini bahasanya agak berat tapi sungguh memberi siraman semangat agar kita terus meningkatkan kesadaran kita hingga akhirnya kita bisa melihat arti hidup dengan lebih jernih...

menurut saya, sebaiknya buku ini tidak hanya dibaca sekali dua kali tapi mesti berkali kali dan terlebih lagi buku ini tidak akan memberi arti apa pun jika kita hanya berhenti pada membaca tanpa praktek langsung karena seperti disampaikan oleh sang penulis bahwa buku ini hanya berisi kumpulan konsep jadi kuncin
Rich Baker
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had read this book a year ago I probably would have stopped reading after the first little bit. To my brain it would have sounded like a bunch of nonsense language attempting to sound smart. But I've read a lot about meditation and philosophy and what not in the last year and this book really hit me hard. I still don't think I understood it as well as I would have liked, but the parts I did understand were awesome. We are infinite. We are merely manifestations. It's really cool. Highly reco ...more
Dylan
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first real dip into the Buddhist philosophies and I feel like I picked a good place to start. I found throughout that the book challenged the often ignored expectation that intellectual knowledge is somehow magically internalized. It offers practices for meditating on the ideas given to you so that you may learn the lessons on a real level beyond just intellectual pondering. The book isn't a self help, "read this and be free", cop out. This is wisdom, take it or leave it, but don't expect the ...more
Melissa
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thích Nhât Hahn has once again written another powerful book. Many of the things can be found in his other works and yes he does repeat things over and over throughout the book. I found it helpful since it helped remembering without having to keep flipping back like other books. He helps explain death by discussing impermanence, existance, and the idea that we are not born so therefor we cannot die. A wonderful book though one that is not for everybody.
Brigette
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I started reading this after Mom died trying to find a way to help cope with the grief. I read it slowly at first because it does talk a lot about death. But it goes beyond that and talks about impermanence, no self, and nirvana, basic Buddhist concepts. My favorite analogies were about the wave and the water, the candle, and the clouds.
Diane Chamberlain
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
May I give this book 6 stars? I've read it several times and am comforted by it each time. It usually causes me to walk around the world saying to myself "I am that rock. I am that cloud. I am that man waiting for his bus." etc, and feeling great joy at the epiphany and hoping no one is watching me and the goofy expression on my face. Just thinking about Thich Nhat Hanh makes me smile.
Matt Hudgens-Haney
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
April 15, 2011: For the second time, I gave up on this book. A lot of people have told me how much they enjoyed this book, but I just could not get into it. The whole time, it seemed like he was doing little more than playing off ambiguities and vagueness, when his arguments could be torn apart by the tiniest bit of precision. Of course, I can't be sure; I didn't finish the book.
Anca
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the best book I ever read on death, Buddhism and the like. Well flowing, deep thoughts, what more can I ask from an author? I loved how this Vietnamese Buddhist monk currently residing in the USA (from what I understood) lives in the present moment while acknowledging all his spiritual and biological ancestors, as well as all his spiritual and biological children. Food for thought ;)
Sebastien
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This is definitely not Thich Nhat Hanh's best book. One of my main gripes about his writing is how repetitious he is, and that's a big problem in this book.

I really do love the guy, so if you are new to his work and looking to read one of his books, I would recommend Being Peace or Peace is Every Step.
Kein werden, kein vergehen. 1 7 Sep 21, 2008 09:23AM
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Healing Into Life and Death
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Lotus Sutra
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • The Essence of Buddhism: An Introduction to Its Philosophy and Practice
  • Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation
“The day my mother died I wrote in my journal, "A serious misfortune of my life has arrived." I suffered for more than one year after the passing away of my mother. But one night, in the highlands of Vietnam, I was sleeping in the hut in my hermitage. I dreamed of my mother. I saw myself sitting with her, and we were having a wonderful talk. She looked young and beautiful, her hair flowing down. It was so pleasant to sit there and talk to her as if she had never died. When I woke up it was about two in the morning, and I felt very strongly that I had never lost my mother. The impression that my mother was still with me was very clear. I understood then that the idea of having lost my mother was just an idea. It was obvious in that moment that my mother is always alive in me.

I opened the door and went outside. The entire hillside was bathed in moonlight. It was a hill covered with tea plants, and my hut was set behind the temple halfway up. Walking slowly in the moonlight through the rows of tea plants, I noticed my mother was still with me. She was the moonlight caressing me as she had done so often, very tender, very sweet... wonderful! Each time my feet touched the earth I knew my mother was there with me. I knew this body was not mine but a living continuation of my mother and my father and my grandparents and great-grandparents. Of all my ancestors. Those feet that I saw as "my" feet were actually "our" feet. Together my mother and I were leaving footprints in the damp soil.

From that moment on, the idea that I had lost my mother no longer existed. All I had to do was look at the palm of my hand, feel the breeze on my face or the earth under my feet to remember that my mother is always with me, available at any time.”
92 likes
“When you love someone, the best thing you can offer is your presence. How can you love if you are not there?” 68 likes