Start by marking “Chasing the Dead” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Dead

Chasing the Dead

"You have a very lovely little girl," breathed the voice on the phone. And just like that, Susan Young is drawn into a living nightmare.

A stranger has kidnapped Sue's daughter, Veda. But he doesn't want her money, only her suffering-and he will kill Veda if Sue doesn't follow his every command. With detailed instructions, the faceless abductor leads Sue into a blinding s
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2006 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Dead

Start your review of Chasing the Dead
Diane
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me say up front that I have nothing against the supernatural. I love science fiction and fantasy. However, I do like to know when I'm going into a book if it falls into this genre or not.

The reason I didn't like this book was because the entire first half gave no indication that there was anything supernatural going on. I was enjoying it as a mystery/suspense/thriller. Then all of a sudden, there are these supernatural elements thrown in, seemingly out of nowhere. Why?

Like I said, if you wan
Ellen Colton
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Schreiber’s Chasing the Dead was an intense book. That is the best word to describe this book, because, although it was a novel it felt like scary movie. Whenever I read it, I felt like I was in the book doing all the things that this twisted book included. Set over the course of a single night, Chasing the Dead is a fast-paced, tense supernatural thriller.

Susan Young, the main character of the book, was a hard working person who did everything she could to make a good life for her daughter,
Waven
This read like a book based on a B-movie based on a screenplay written under duress. Not bad, necessarily, but not very good. I gave it three stars because I think I would really have enjoyed it when I was about 15. As a YA horror, it has a balance of blood and action, a couple nude scenes (but no sex), an easy-to-follow plot, and "summary" explanations toward the end. So for the 13 - 17 age crowd, it would probably be a fun read with the promise of fitful sleep to follow. But for adults, it's r ...more
Cassie
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was really good. It starts off just like a typical mystery-suspense novel, but soon turns into a relentless, unputdownable supernatural thriller. It was hard for me not to read it in one sitting!
Anthony
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Not what I was expecting at all. Very satisfied.
Darlene
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was not at all what I expected. My local library categorized this is a mystery, but it actually falls into the horror genre. I picked it up because the synopsis was about a mom whose daughter was kidnapped, which is every mom’s worst nightmare. I was looking for a mystery, so I was a bit disappointed when the story played out with paranormal themes. Now, I love the horror and paranormal genres as well, so the book still ended up working for me.

The protagonist, Susan Young, receives a m
Landon Schofield
Excellent book that really grabbed my attention. It started off by giving a little background of the natator by telling what she does for a living and you learn a lot about the internal feelings of the narrator as the story continues. In the end if you enjoy suspense I highly recommend that you read this book.
BizarreLibrary
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Young has a dark secret and she is about to have the worst night of her life. Within a matter of minutes, her world goes from normal to terrifying. Her young daughter has been kidnapped by someone who knows more about her burden than she does. In a mixture of snow, tears, and blood; Sue has to follow precise instructions given to her by the kidnapper if she ever wants to see her daughter alive again. Even if it means to literally dig up her dark past.

During her journey into the dark and co
Robert
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow, that was a hell of a ride! I looked at this book and thought, OK the story idea sounds good - woman gets put through the wringer when her daughter is kidnapped, then I saw that the book was just shy of 200 pages. OK so now I am wondering just how much the author can fit into this limited amount of space. Now after finishing this I will say that Joe Screiber is a genius, and one scary dude. I cannot tell you too much about this book and for that I am sorry. I would feel horrible if I gave so ...more
Brandon
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much and like most people, thought this was going to be a book about some woman saving her daughter from some creepy stalker. As soon as I caught the faintest whiff of supernatural I wasn't mad because I wasn't warned about it, I was excited for it to show itself completely and just add to the intensity of the novel. Which it did and I wasn't disappointed. Something that I think also makes it stronger is how it's written in present tense. It's easier to feel the passage ...more
Megan
Jul 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My friend who wants to read/watch every zombie item ever made. Just him.
This is one of those books that, while crap, I reluctantly enjoy for being such all-out ridiculous crap. I finished this book because of the same sinful urge that makes me sometimes watch the Oxygen channel at 4. a.m. or crave radioactive orange off-brand mac n cheese.

Stephanie Ring
Nov 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Chasing the Dead" is a novel that will give you the chills and the creeps. I liked this book because once I stared to read it, it was hard to stop. "Chasing the Dead" will grab your attention and force you to keep turning its pages until you have reached the end.
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not stop reading this novel. Started this morning and finished this afternoon! I had to see what would happen next! Definitely a page turner for anyone who loves suspense!
Vicky
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of bad scores for this book but I liked it. Fast easy horror read.
Patti
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK, but it felt like something I had already read. Nothing special.
Kaine Andrews
Chasing the Dead is a bit of a grab bag. It starts off with an appropriately mysterious meeting between a pair of children, moves to a busy mother's innocuous day that we know is leading to trouble, and then begins a fast-paced thriller chase that keeps inching up the scare factor.

Then, about halfway through, it starts falling apart. It begins to introduce more overtly supernatural elements - which isn't really a problem, in my view - and makes it more apparent that our plucky heroine is not dea
Ryan
This book is a trip... and I can't decide if its a good one or a bad one.

I came to Joe Schrieber by way of "Death Troopers," one of my favorite Star Wars novels (and one of the two genuine horror novels in the franchise). But I also know him from "Red Harvest," which is one of the worst Star Wars novels I have ever read. So, I came into this book well aware that Joe has a range to his writing.

I've read reviews of this book that were angry because they felt the supernatural elements came out of n
Michael J.
This was my first encounter with the writing of Joe Schreiber, and based on this book there will be more.
I was looking for a different book (Kill Creek by Thomas Scott) while visiting the Zionsville, Indiana public library - - which they didn't have on the shelves. On the same section of shelving, the title Chasing The Dead caught my eye. I picked it up, scanned the summary on the inner flap, and decided to give it a go. So glad that I did. I devoured this book in less than two days.
The novel
Tina
I like thrillers. I like horror. I like supernatural themes. I like to know which of those I'll be reading when I start a book. Chasing The Dead is a messy conglomeration of all those, something I was not aware of when I began reading.

Chasing The Dead starts with a kidnapping and a distraught mother assigned to complete some tasks in order to get her little girl back. It soon devolves into a horror tale without any clear delineation. Two stars for a strong start; none for making me wish I'd just
Edward Taylor
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Went into it based upon my love for Joe's other books I read (No Doors, No Windows and Death troopers) but what I got was a different taste of his works all together. Great first book, awesome and quick read with a lot of character development and my only complaint (and what keeps it from being 5 stars) is the length. I am a voracious reader at times but this one is less than 300 pages (247) and I consumed it in 1.5 sittings (less than 2 hours)

Now to check if there is a sequel!
Charlotte Pinnell
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed by this book. This was a random book I had on my bookshelf and when I started reading it I couldn’t put it down. It was very fast paced and suspenseful.

I will say that when the paranormal/supernatural genre started at first I questioned what was happening. Once I got past “oh this is what this is now” I felt the story was still very intense. The book kept my attention the entire way through.
Naomi Thayer
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good for the people out there that like some gore with there books. It has a lot of twist and turns and some very unsuspected detailed scenes. This book has about 200 pages in it so its not to small but not to big either if your a reader who like something small. If you want something on the horror type of side it is still jam packed full of those type of things.
Sherry
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It ended up being a pretty good supernatural thriller but I'm the beginning I found it slow going. I had a hard time getting into the story and couldn't quite suspend my belief enough to buy the plot. When that finally happened, everything clicked into place and I tore through the rest of the story.
Melissa Keenan
Different than I was expecting, which I enjoy. The ending didn’t live up to the rest of the book or I would have rated higher. Not simply a mystery or thriller - more along the lines of Dean Koontz or Stephen King.
Lisa B
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a book! The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, is because I wanted the book to end quickly, and that’s not always a good thing. I must say, you have to be prepared for the unexpected when choosing to read this book. It shockingly goes from a mystery/thriller to straight out Horror!
Anna Stone
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fantastic form of entertainment and definitely kept my interest peaked throughout. I really loved the nonstop suspense and the way that Sue's memories were some of the biggest revealing moments. They let the reader figure out what was happening along with her, yet made her the perfect protagonist. All in all, it was a super good book that will thrill you and leave you guessing until the end.
Amy Phelps
This book was warped from the very beginning. Can’t say too much without giving a lot away. A mother experienced a nightmare while trying to save her kidnapped daughter
L.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
...the heck did I just read?
Troy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago, just finished listening to the audiobook. Highly recommended.
Jill Davis
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly did not expect this book to be a paranormal mystery. Thought it was just a thriller. Oddly, I loved it. It went straight into the action. Fast read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Jennifer Government
  • Pink Noise: A Posthuman Tale
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2003
  • The Tribe
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • The Eleventh Black Book of Horror
  • Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • Illegal Alien
  • The President's Vampire (Nathaniel Cade, #2)
  • The System of the World (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 3)
Joe Schreiber was born in Michigan but spent his formative years in Alaska, Wyoming and northern California. Until recently, he has never lived in the same address for longer than a year. Before settling in Hershey he lived in New York, Boston, Martha’s Vineyard, Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland (OR), and Philadelphia. Becoming a parent forced him to consider a career with more reliable income, and ...more