Start by marking “Schizo” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  2,771 Ratings  ·  478 Reviews
The fascinating, shocking, and ultimately quite hopeful story of one teen’s downward spiral into mental illness by the bestselling author of Tweak.

Miles is the ultimate unreliable narrator—a teen recovering from a schizophrenic breakdown who believes he is getting better . . . when in reality he is growing worse.

Driven to the point of obsession to find his missing youn
Published September 30th 2014 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Schizo, please sign up.

jv poore
Miles Cole will steal your heart. Unwittingly and apologetically, he’ll shatter it. With determination and pride, he’ll help to piece it together with tentative hope. This 16-year old boy is sweet, compassionate and justifiably troubled. Diagnosed with Schizophrenia, his life teeters between reality and delusions, as a cacophony of medications race through his veins and scorch the lining of his stomach.

Mr. Sheff cleverly allows Miles tells his own story. In doing so, Miles’ observations identify
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
More like a 4.5/5 stars.

This book was absolutely crazy. It was a super quick read, but it was in no way a light breezy book. The main character suffers from schizophrenia and so that made him a very unreliable narrator, which was incredible and caught me off guard a few times. This book definitely kept me on my toes, and I can't wait for more people to read it!
Dina
Aug 17, 2014 marked it as to-read
THIS BOOK SOUNDS LIKE MARA DYER.....
BUT REAL
BUT A BOY
BUT STILL
BUT MAYBE NOT AT ALL

I want to read it.
Gaby
Jul 14, 2014 marked it as to-read
I must know who's on this cover!
Kelsey Marie
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
*****For my full review, go to Darling & Co.*****

This was my second novel for Mental Health Awareness Month. I honestly didn't know what to expect. Most of what I know about schizophrenia is from TV and movies, and I know that I should take everything that I see there with a grain of salt. When Nic Sheff started this novel, he did a lot of research on the subject, and so I felt going into this novel that it was going to be more realistic. On the cover, it says "How do you manage when you don
Hanna
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Schizo tells us a story of Miles, a schizophrenic who suffers from the guilt of his missing brother. In this book we are given access to what he is thinking and experiencing. The feeling of paranoia that Miles faced managed to put me on edge too.

This book is a bit of a roller coaster for me. I only know of Schizophrenia in general, you know, the general knowledge you get from dictionaries and a few articles here and there. But I've never quite understood the illness itself and even less of what
Carrie
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was excited when I learned that Nic Sheff continues to do well and is writing fiction. I enjoyed this as I enjoyed his previous two books. I was worried I'd be reading a fictional version of him, but he has created a character who is unique, while using his experience to stay true to the mental illness. The story builds well, and I never felt like anything was predictable. It's worth reading without any spoilers. Well done, Mr. Sheff.
Amoreena Petersen
Oct 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
DUMB book! I saw the end coming from 13 miles away and seriously, does this kid need to swear every other sentence?! Thank you Alexa for recommending this book!
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
The day Miles had his first schizophrenic episode was the same day his younger brother, Teddy, vanished. The police think Teddy must have drowned at the beach, while an eyewitness saw Teddy get in a Ford Explorer with a stranger. Miles knows in his heart that Teddy is still alive, and in his guilt and shame he vows to bring Teddy home once and for all. However, there is so much for him to overcome. The pills, the girl, and the crows. Miles fights to keep reality clear and in his sights, but the ...more
Gordon
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
das Buch war mega gut! Es geht um einen Jungen, der unter Schizophrenie leidet und dessen Bruder unter mysteriösen Umständen verschwunden ist. Nic Sheff's Schreibstil war einfach total fast-paced und brachte es einfach auf den Punkt. Ich mochte Miles als Protagonist sehr gerne und generell waren die Charactere unglaublich realistisch und gut beschrieben. Die Auflösung des Ganzen hat mich auch total zufriedengestellt, daher 4 sehr gute Sterne!
Titah
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Click.
“Nine-one-one Emergency, how can I help you?”
My breathing comes fast and shallow, so I can barely get the words to come out of me.
“Th- . . . th- . . . there’s been a . . . No, I . . . I killed myself.”
Pause.
“What? I’m sorry, sir, what? Can you repeat that?”
More breathing.
“I . . . I . . . I said I killed myself. 1717 Clement Street.”
“You killed yourself?”
I close my eyes

Oh.My.God... This one is sick (too)!!
Well, I should have known! I mean, look at the title.. Duh!
Vicki
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed that I didn't really care much for this one. I don't know what to say except that it left me feeling sort of disconnected because I didn't feel empathy for the main character and I just couldn't connect.
Anita
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Miles is suffering from Schizophrenia. It's not apparent immediately that he isn't getting better, in fact, what you know about Miles quickly shifts to what you don't know about him.
This is a great read for anyone trying to learn and understand mental illness with an element of hope throughout.
Gabri
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good, mental-illness
Note: I read Made You Up before reading Schizo, which was part of the reason that it made this book less good than I think I would consider it, had I not read Made You Up first.

This book reads very easily - I finished it in an evening and a morning - and also I really wanted to keep reading to know what would happen next. I think that’s a very important quality for a book to have.

Also, in general I liked the storyline. I liked how it wasn’t only about Miles, but also about his relation with
Jolien
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Originally at The Fictional Reader

I haven’t read many books about mental illness which is a shame because it’s a really important topic; something that isn’t talked about enough. When I read the synopsis of Schizo I was immediately intrigued, the plot sounds very intense.

I was really surprised by the length of this book: it is quite a short novel. I don’t mean that it is a short story, but since many novels are easily over 300 pages, this is quite short in comparison. And I think that’s a good t
Allyson
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although some parts of the book were not too interesting, they all led towards Miles, the main character, getting the help he needed. There is a trigger in this book for suicide. I enjoyed this book because it shows how Miles conquers his mental illness. He manages to be okay in the end. In the about the author section, the sentence "mental illness is not a death sentence" is what many people need to hear, especially me. The story could have been better, but overall, I really liked it. If you de ...more
Rony Perez
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book! Definitely opened my eyes to how difficult it must be to have schizophrenia and still try to maintain a normal life.
Bethzua
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Una lectura muy rápida, de capítulos cortos, buena. Sin embargo, se quedó corta en cuanto a la intensidad que prometía la sinopsis. Mi percepción de las diferentes etapas de la enfermedad fue confusa, sentí que las fronteras entre cada una están demasiado diluídas. Sí, es fácil notar cómo Miles pasa por una buena gama de emociones pero no las sentí. La historia se mantuvo sobre una misma línea, cuando a mi parecer debió ir de menos a más; por ello es que no me pude conectar a un nivel mental y e ...more
Rhick Esteves
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"If you could just stay honest with one another," Dr. Dubonis says, "then you shouldn't have any problems."

"It's the shame and fucking secrets that will kill me. They almost did before... To tell the truth about who I am and what's going on with me, that is everything. sharing. Asking for help."

I want to thank Nic Sheff for writing this incredible book about a young man with Schizophrenia. Miles taught me a lot of things including how it feels to have Schizophrenia, how hard it is to have a m
A Book Vacation
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Random thoughts prior to review:

I'm sorry to say this novel didn't really speak to me. It's a fairly quick read, but MC and I never really connected. Going in, know that this is a book about a schizophrenic young man, I knew he probably wasn't going to be a reliable character, but I found the story sad more than anything else. Watching him go through his episodes, listening to him and his thought process, knowing that others were afraid of him, was just so sad. And knowing that he knew he wasn't
NayDoubleU
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who is suffer from mental illness or has
Recommended to NayDoubleU by: goodreads.com

so where to begin?
well being a person with multiple mental disorders (3 to be exact) I can say that I loved this book on the healing process. it was great and 100% accurate IMO. It was great in the beginning and then it went down hill for me in the middle but the ending was a tear jerker for me because I know this struggle personally. good read.

my favorite quotes
1. "Well, that's because you're a nice person. But you gotta stop it. Stop being so nice"- Wanika (intense name I kept changin
Ryan Buckby
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
this book was unbelievably good, it was a super quick read and also very easy to read but this book does deal with some heavy topics.

this book drew me in because of the nature of the topic about mental health and the way it effects someone and the people around you. i did not know much about schizophrenia only a few things that i had read about it. but i do suffer from depression and anxiety myself so i know a little on mental health.

Nic did a great job giving me a look into schizophrenia and w
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-illness, teen
I first discovered Nic Sheff when his dad, David, wrote the book, "Beautiful Boy" about his son's struggles with addiction. Nic then wrote two autobiographies: "We All Fall Down" and "Tweak." This is Nic's first foray into fiction, and it's pretty solid YA lit.

Miles has schizophrenia, and he's figuring out his high school life with his new diagnosis. Some friends have stuck by him, while others seem preoccupied with rumors around his sickness. Miles's younger brother Teddy was abducted at the be
Trisha
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This isn't a bad book - don't let my rating sway you. Give it a try
I only rate it with the low stars because I thought it would be more intense and more psychological. I thought I would be confused about what was real and what was the illness.

But this really is a great introduction book to Schizophrenia. It gives you an intense idea of some of the confusion and frustration but also why someone might stop taking their pills. It gives a look into the mind frame and the trial and error of the medic
Scott
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. I don't want to say much but I really enjoyed it.
Gina
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"“Maybe having schizophrenia is my big fuck-you to the status quo. Only, I guess at this point, being normal and well-adjusted would be, like, the biggest fuck-you of them all. So I guess I'll just try to shoot for that, if I can.”

***

This is going to be short and to the point because I don't have a lot to say.
The story itself was nice, I did know what the plottwist was going to be pretty soon but that didn't bother. There was a lot of unnecessary swearing therethat did get a bit annoying at tim
Jesten
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was heart-wrenching, but I was glad to get a look into what it's like for teens with schizophrenia.
Wren
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Welcome to Book City
Date: November 14, 2014
Spoilers Ahead
Headline
Nic Sheff
Driven to the point of obsession to find his missing younger brother, Teddy, and wrapped up in a rom
Colleen
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this book, don't get me wrong. Miles was a highly sympathetic character, and what little we got to know about him past his illness had me invested in his well-being (that part was frustrating, I wish we had delved into Miles The Person half as much as we did Miles The Schizophrenic, the story didn't quite marry the two like it should have). We aren't given a lot of insight about the supporting characters, but that didn't bother me much at all for once because of how the story is set up ...more
Jay G
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5 Stars

Miles Cole is a 16 year old boy who suffers from schizophrenia. On the same day as his first psychotic episode, his little brother, Teddy, went missing from the beach. Miles decides that it's his duty to find him and bring him home so his family can stop worrying and move on.

I usually love mental illness books, so when I saw this one I instantly knew I needed to read it! Unfo
Future Teachers, ...: Maddy Hulseman Book Review 7 1 2 Nov 21, 2016 11:58AM
419 READs: Schizo 1 8 Jun 02, 2016 10:22AM
Accurate? 3 36 Jan 01, 2015 07:57AM
Crazy for Young A...: Schizo by Nic Sheff → Start Date: November 11th, 2014 39 38 Nov 12, 2014 09:44PM
  • Fig
  • A Trick of the Light
  • Cameron and the Girls
  • Total Constant Order
  • Damage
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Nicholas Dane
  • Bombay Blues (Born Confused #2)
  • Little & Lion
  • Crash and Burn
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • Inside Out
  • Don't Touch
Nic Sheff is the author of two memoirs about his struggles with addiction: the New York Times bestselling Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines and We All Fall Down: Living with Addiction. Nic lives in Los Angeles, California where he writes for film and television.
“You have got to get creative if you want anyone to notice your goddamn teenage angst.” 8 likes
“Maybe having schizophrenia is my big fuck-you to the status quo. Only, I guess at this point, being normal and well-adjusted would be, like, the biggest fuck-you of them all. So I guess I'll just try to shoot for that, if I can.” 4 likes