Start by marking “The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)

The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder #6)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  7,059 Ratings  ·  817 Reviews
Everyone in Painters Mill knows the abandoned Hochstetler farm is haunted. But only a handful of the residents remember the terrible secrets lost in the muted/hushed whispers of time—and now death is stalking them, seemingly from the grave.

On a late-night shift, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called to the scene of an apparent suicide—an old man found hanging from the
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published July 8th 2014 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Will Tell, please sign up.

Desirée Boom Yes. Hoch's name is William ('Billy') Hochstetler. Linda Castillo somewhere in the book explains that after his family died, he was adopted by the…moreYes. Hoch's name is William ('Billy') Hochstetler. Linda Castillo somewhere in the book explains that after his family died, he was adopted by the Yoder family, but at first resisted taking the name. Later he took the name William 'Hoch' Yoder, 'Hoch' being derived from his real family name, and everyone called him Hoch.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tanya Lamnin Presumably the killers told Wanetta that Hoch was the one to brag to his coworker (Norm), who then told the other three.

Mary Beth
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series. It is one of my faves!

Highly recommended

My review is on the first book Sworn to Silence, which will give you in more detail what this series is about. Each book in the series is a different story that is a great thriller and mystery.
Sue
I was so fortunate to win a copy of "The Dead Will Tell" (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Costillo through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This novel has it all; mystery, suspense, murder, serial-killer thriller. This novel grabbed my interest right from the beginning and didn't let go until I read the last word.

Fourteen year old Billy Hochstetler and his little eight year old brother, heard something in the middle of the night. Billy goes downstairs to investigate and found his dutch parents at t
Kaceey
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No. 6 in the series. Oh how I love this!
Taking place in the Pennsylvania Amish countryside, It's a two-for-one.
You get a murder mystery wrapped up with an insider's look at the Amish culture.
Kate, the local sheriff attempts to solve a series of related homicides that have a common thread leading back to a horrific murder of an Amish family over 30 years ago.
Do you believe in ghosts?
Can the Ghost of the Amish mother be back seeking revenge or justice?
I highly recommend this series, from sta
Barbara

The book starts out with a horrific crime: a 1979 home invasion of the Amish Hochstetler farm in Painters Mill, Ohio. A group of teens break in to steal cash and the night ends with a family slaughtered, a mother abducted, and a lone survivor - a 14-year-old boy. Fast forward 35 years and the perpetrators of the crime, now respected members of the community, start to get threatening letters. Soon afterwards, the killings start - with one after another of the original perpetrators brutally murder
Brenda
Four months previously, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder had moved into the farmhouse with State Agent John Tomasetti; their love had blossomed to the stage where Kate felt able to make the commitment. Tomasetti was still tortured by his past, but was coming to terms with those demons – that was, until one of the men responsible for his torment was released from jail on a technicality, walking free.

Confused and uncertain as to how to pacify Tomasetti’s anger and grief, Kate was torn when she was
Diane S ☔
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Another series that I anxiously await the next and newest installment. A good mix of mystery, personality and personal relationships, and the Amish culture.

A look at an evil done to an Amish family in the past that has a high cost for the perpetrators in the future. The long and far reaching effects of hatred and revenge. A good, solid and quick read.
Tanya Lamnin
Pamela
Without fail Linda Castillo once again delivers a winner with "The Dead Will Tell," book 6 in the "Kate Burkholder" series; and what a stunning series this is. One of my favourites. I could write an in-depth review, but in all honesty there's nothing more I can say that I haven't already said in my reviews for the previous novels. Just that if you love reading novels full of mystery and suspense, you have to read this series. Her novels will grip you, and keep you engaged right up until the ...more
Wendy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this 6th book in her Kate Burkholder series!
Lauren
The Dead Will Tell
4 Stars

When a man is found hung in his barn, Painter’s Mill Chief of Police Kate Burkholder naturally assumes that it is suicide until evidence on the body indicates foul play. Soon all the clues start pointing to a 35 year old homicide in which a man and his 4 children were killed and the mother disappeared without a trace. The discovery of a second victim suggests to Kate that someone it out for justice and has no qualms about how they get it.

A solid thriller with an exciting
Elizabeth
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police Chief Kate Burkholder and the Painters Mill police department have their hands full when three brutal murders occur within a short period of time. Wooden Amish dolls are found left by the serial killer with each victim, indicating a connection to the unsolved murder of an Amish family that took place over 30 years ago.

While Kate works to find the killer before more lives are lost, she must also deal with a cranky town council member who is being threatened, and her fragile relationship wi
Mayda
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make sure you have few empty hours to fill, because once you begin reading this tale, you won’t be able to put the book down until you have finished it. In this suspenseful mystery, Kate catches a murder case that seems to be linked to a cold case involving a home invasion of an Amish family. As Kate’s investigation develops, secrets kept for 35 years slowly come to light and the guilty are panic-stricken, not by the law but by a ghost. Kate has her own ghosts to chase away when her lover Tomase ...more
Julie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, vine, fiction
The Kate Burkholder series just keeps getting better! A string of murders is somehow connected to a horrific thirty-five year old unsolved crime. Could the victims be seeking revenge? I loved the ghost story element in this book (although I quickly realized that ghosts don’t leave footprints). Every time I thought I had things figured out, there were twist and turns in the plot that completely surprised me.

There is unrest between Kate and Tomasetti that added some angst to the overall story, bu
Donna
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery

3.5 stars.

This is my second Linda Castillo novel. I've also read one of her novellas. I like the MC, Kate Burkholder. As the MC, she is perfect. By that I mean she is true to character, even when things appear upside down, she is consistent in her actions. I liked the other characters as well. The author can write unique and memorable characters. I also appreciated the fact that they were able to make progress in that area and that the love interest wasn't sappy.

My dislikes with this book lies
Sheila
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again Linda Castillo writes a stunner that snagged me and held on through the entire book. I wish there were more than 6 books in this series. I highly recommend this entire series.
Steffi
Es sind tatsächlich schon um und bei 3 Jahre vergangen seit ich Kate Burkholder auf ihrem letzten Fall begleitet habe und ich frage mich wirklich warum ich so lange gewartet habe.

Das Setting in der Amisch-Gemeinde finde ich super interessant und ist für mich im Genre Krimi/Thriller absolut was besonderes. Dies gibt den Fällen eine besondere Note und macht es für mich doppelt spannend.

In Mörderische Angst wird ein sehr dramatischer Fall aus der Vergangenheit mit einem aktuellen Fall verknüpft. Di
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars

Yet another enjoyable book in this addictive mystery series. I did correctly guess the ending of this one, even though it was a little far-fetched. These are still very entertaining novels.

However, I've begun to notice that Castillo overuses certain phrases in her writing. Also, I personally could skip the romance subplot, which always takes away from the grittiness of these stories.
Eve Nolon
Jul 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2015
Susan Johnson
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intruders break into the lonely Amish home of the Hochstetlers one night intent on stealing the profits of the family's successful furniture business. The night takes a horrific turn for the worse and even greater crimes than robbery occur. The lasting effects on all participants last the next 30+ years.

Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police of Painters Mill, is a former Amish and speaks the language which helps the Amish population in her community. She has moved in with a fellow policeman, John Tom
Robin
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Police Chief Kate Burkholder is called to Dale Michaels' farm for what looks like a suicide. But evidence soon points to murder. A small Amish Peg Doll was lodged in the victim's throat. On the doll is scratched the name "Hochstetler". While Kate and her deputies investigate the murder, they find a link to a cold case that happened thirty five years ago. An Amish man and four children died in a fire. His wife was never heard from again. Meanwhile, the murderer strikes again, and Kate must race t ...more
Kathy Sales
I'm a big Castillo fan and have read all the books, but this one was a let-down due to sloppy storytelling and editing and poorly developed characters. Also, the storyline with Tomasetti seemed like it was thrown in just for a filler--didn't seem to fit well. There were a number of discrepancies in the storytelling that I was surprised weren't caught by an editor or more readers.

I am so very disappointed since I had loved this series. I'm so afraid that Castillo is going the way of some other w
Tami Carpel
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series and can wait for the next book to come out! I like the Kate character and her police crew and Tomasetti. I think it is very interesting that it is set in an Amish community. I love mysteries and this one does not disappoint! It keeps you guessing until the end and even when you think you know who it is, she throws in a twist! I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who loves mysteries/thrillers! It's one of my favorites!
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Local man murdered
Clue points to very old case
Are they connected?

Incredible twist
Really great suspense-thriller
Perhaps the best yet
Jeannie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
My favorite in this series so far, lot of twists and turns. I had a hard time putting this one down. I can't wait for the next book!
I highly recommend this series.
Ann-Katrin
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minimal schwächer als die Vorgänger, immer noch hervorragend!
Jackie Rogers
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In one review of this novel it was called a cozy mystery. There is nothing cozy about any of these books. They have violent deaths with gory details. Again Kate is my favorite character in Ms. Castello's writing. This woman is strong and very good at her job as police chief. In this particular one members of the community are in question for a murder when they were teens. Still amazes me how this author can create twists and turns that baffle the reader. Is usually an unsuspected one or two tha ...more
Antonella
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anche se, fin dalla sua apparizione e da qualche altro indizio disseminato qua e là, avevo intuito il possibile colpevole, questo non ha tolto nulla al piacere della lettura, alla suspense e all'adrenalina di circolare più veloce, fino all'ultima riga, tirando poi il classico sospiro di sollievo, più che dire l'ancor più classico: "io l'avevo capito!".
E così, anche questa volta, la Castillo non mi ha delusa. Anzi.

Lesa
Linda Castillo quotes Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in her latest crime novel. "Let the dead Past bury its dead." In The Dead Will Tell, Police Chief Kate Burkholder has to deal with a thirty-five-year-old massacre. Now, someone is targeting those who knew what happened on that tragic March night in 1979. The past is reaching out to bury the living.

The Willis Hochstetler farm was the site of a horrendous family tragedy in 1979. Willis was shot to death in a robbery that went wrong, four of his five
Jimmmunchel
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE DEAD WILL TELL

By Linda Castillo

Here is the best thriller scoop I can give anyone who loves the literary pursuit of solving crimes. The list for fictional crime writers is currently vast and extremely crowded. When it comes to the ladies of the genre there are a few non-negotiable. In no particular order the crème de la crème is Laura Lippman, Lisa Unger, Karin Slaughter and Linda Castillo. Dark, gritty (What the hell does gritty actually mean when describing a noir) and certifiably addictiv
Jean
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Will Tell is the sixth in the series of Chief Kate Burkholder thrillers by Linda Castillo. While not her strongest work, it is still held my interest until the very end.

The prologue begins with a robbery gone wrong back in 1979. An Amish man was shot, his wife taken, and his children were locked in the cellar. Only one, 14-year-old Billy Hochstetler, ran after the car carrying his mamm. When he looked back toward the house, he saw the entire structure engulfed in flames.

Thirty-five yea
Discrepancy in THE DEAD WILL TELL 4 72 Oct 05, 2014 04:20PM
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #2)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Close to the Bone (Theresa MacLean, #7)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • A Crack in Everything (A Susan Callisto Mystery, #1)
  • The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
  • Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)
  • Dark Harvest (Maplecreek, #2)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott Mysteries. #19)
  • Endangered (Joe Pickett, #15)
  • Phantom Instinct
  • Shunned and Dangerous (An Amish Mystery, #3)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of
More about Linda Castillo...

Kate Burkholder (10 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)