Start by marking “Girl of Shadows (Convict Girls #2)” as Want to Read:
Girl of Shadows (Convict Girls #2)

Girl of Shadows

(Convict Girls #2)

What had they done? What had she and Sarah and Friday done?

1830: Convict girls Friday Woolfe, Harriet Clarke and Sarah Morgan have been transported to Sydney from London. Sarah has been assigned to jeweller Adam Green, Harriet is a maid for the Barrett family, and Friday is working as a prostitute in a brothel. Each of them is struggling to forget the brutal crime they com
Published November 1st 2013 by HarperCollins Australia

To ask other readers questions about Girl of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl of Shadows

Brenda
Settled in their assignments in 1830 Sydney, convict girls Friday Woolfe, Sarah Morgan and Harrie Clarke found themselves riddled with guilt over the crime which had occurred the previous year. Sarah had been assigned to Adam Green as her expertise as a jeweller meant she could assist him in his jewellery shop. But his wife hated Sarah with a passion – her jealousy was easy to see; and Sarah disliked Esther as much if not more. Harrie enjoyed her work as a maid with the Barrett family – their ma ...more
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★

Still a fun read about old Sydney (1830s) and the four convict girls (one now a ghost) struggling with masters and life a long way from whence they came.

I loved the first book of this series, Behind the Sun, which introduced us to the girls, and I enjoyed the second, but this time I did stumble across a few phrases that I found irritatingly modern--not enough to stop me reading, though.

We follow the same girls, but his time, Rachel is a flaxen-haired ghost – or is she? Whether she really is
☼♄Jülie 
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Fiction or Fiction in general.

Girl of Shadows by Deborah Challinor is the sequel to Behind the Sun by the same author.

I have been captivated by this story from the very beginning of "Behind the Sun", and I just know I am going to miss reading about these characters while I now wait in anticipation for the next book to come out!

Like Its prequel: "Behind the Sun"...every single page held interest and intrigue, making it another real page turner.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Girl of Shadows" which continues the story of these three gir
Kathryn
It was a couple of years since I read the first book in this series, and I was very pleased that I made some detailed notes in a spoiler to refresh my memory so I’m going to do it again. There are major spoilers in the spoiler tag below so don’t open the tag if you haven’t read the book.

I enjoyed this set in Sydney in the 1830s, although there is some bad language, violence and a small amount of graphic sex. I will continue with the series and must try not to leave it so long before I read the n
Kathy
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Girl of Shadow’s is a fabulous 2nd book in the Deborah Challinor’s trilogy that started off with Behind the Sun. Deborah has an incredible ability to transport the reader to 1830’s Sydney and fans of this historical convict era will love this series. I have the 3rd book sitting in my TBR pile but might savour it for a bit longer before finishing off the series. Highly recommend…..
Jan
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Slower than the first book in this series ('Follow the Sun')with fewer twists and turns - setting up for Book 3? The historical research is very detailed and the characters are well-developed. I'll be reading Book 3 when it comes out in October - I'm interested to see where Challinor takes the girls next......
Rebekah
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
After visiting Sydney last year, I started reading the first book in this series. I love knowing the history of places I visit, and being able to view landmarks and places I have read about. I love being able to say "I know where they are" because I have been to the Rocks, I have walked where these characters have walked. It's something I find cool.

A workmate leant me this book and it has been sitting on my shelf for 6 months. Did I feel bad not returning it to her sooner? You bet I did. Was I
Steve
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am constantly blown away by this series. I very quickly fell in love with the first book, and this one was no different. The action very quickly picked up from the first page, and drew me in. I remembered enough of the previous story to not be a bother, and the climax was drawn out and rather delicious. There was no real resolution per se, which was a tiny bit of a disappointment, but I think I will have to read the next one in the series very soon.
Miriel68
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The second instalment of the saga is still a quick and entertaining read, but it lacks the focus the first one had and feels more like an episode of Friends-in-historical-Sydney series. The historical background is well researched and fascinating, but there are many not really necessary additions and the pace in uneven.
Adrienne
This second book in the Convict Girls series was unnecessarily dragged out and lacked some of the excitement as the first. However it was enjoyable and the characters are still as interesting and likeable as ever.
Rhonda
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some reviewers mentioned liking this book better than the first in the series. I preferred the first one since I found this one slower and not as interesting. Still well written so I’ve now started the third book. 3.75 Stars
Judith Rathbone
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Really enjoyed reading more about the 3 friends.
Bev
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story
Sam Still Reading
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for Australian historical fiction
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read the first book in the series
Girl of Shadows is the second book in a series of four following a group of girls convicted in London and transported to Sydney, Australia. (The third book, The Silk Thief, will be released late 2014). Attracted to this book because I loved Behind the Sun, I eagerly began reading to catch up with Friday, Harrie and Sarah’s escapades. After their revenge on a man who hurt their friend, the threesome was being blackmailed by their archenemy Bella Jackson. Where would this book take them? Would the ...more
Therese Noble
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The girl of the title is Sarah Morgan, who was sent to New South Wales for theft and not, fortunately, for her real skill as a safe cracker. This latter skill – and the fact that it is not known -comes in handy as the story progresses and she needs to help replenish money that was taken from Adam. That is only one fascinating story of course. Still threaded through the novel is the continuing dramas and dangers all the girls’ experience. They work hard to support Rachel’s baby which is a burden ...more
Moira
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know what stops this being rated higher. It is a GOOD book but not a great one. The settings and characters are original, the research deep and the writing flows easily. So why does it not rate higher for me?
I have recently read "The Luminaries" and "A Tale for the Time Being." Both books break new ground stylistically and, more importantly, reveal new truths about the human condition. They both fulfill the criteria of leading us to look at the world and human experiences in a new way.
Rachel
Set in the 1830s in Sydney this is the ongoing story of convict girls Friday Woolfe, Harriet Clark and Sarah Morgan. The feisty, irreverent Friday is working in a brothel, the quieter Harrie works as a maid, but begins to explore her artistic skills tattooing, and the clever Sarah works with jeweller Adam Green. The three of them work hard to raise money to support Rachel's child Charlotte. Meanwhile the evil Bella blackmails them with knowledge of the revenge crime they have committed. This beg ...more
Katy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I do love an historical fiction book, and this series thus far is certainly not disappointing me.
Time has passed since the girls all landed in Sydney cove and spent some time in the Female Factory at Parramatta. The girls have all been assigned and working had to help support Rachel's baby Charlotte still back at the Factory.
A very well written and executed story, I love the bond that exists between the 3 girls, all very different and strong. I'm looking forward to book 3...
Lyn Ford
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Girl of Shadows is the second book in a series of four following a group of girls convicted in London and transported to Sydney, Australia. (The third book will be The Silk Thief. I loved Behind the Sun, I eagerly began reading to catch up with Friday, Harrie and Sarah’s escapades. After their revenge on a man who hurt their friend, the threesome was being blackmailed by their archenemy Bella Jackson.

Robyn Gibson
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never realised this is the 2nd in a series, but it didn't matter anyway. Great story about three girls convicted in London and transported to Sydney. They've been assigned work and put aside money for their friend's baby who is being looked after in the penitentiary. Their friend died in childbirth. They're being blackmailed by someone who knows they've murdered a man, they come across a tattoo artist and his young buddy who has a female dog called Clifford. Great storytelling.
Vicky
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nz-authors
I always enjoy Deborah Challinor. She has a way of bringing history alive. Her characters are right for the times - raw, hard and difficult, but there is always a redeeming feature. In this second book in a series, we see the growth of Australia as a country and how its individuals strive to become better citizens - but not all of them.
Cynthia
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I grabbed this book from the library without realising it was book 2 in a series. Still very enjoyable but I think my understanding of the characters would of been better if I had read the first book in the series before reading this. Set in early Australia settlement times it was a great holiday read.
Kelly Dawson
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
This book was made even better by the fact that I met Deborah Challinor in the flesh at our local library, during her book tour. Ms Challinor showed lots of photos of the places she'd visited for research, and photos from books and museums she used for her research, so learning firsthand the reality of life behind the series of novels made the book so much better.
Brenda Wallwork
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd in the Series also a good read they are now in Sydney and have been placed. This book tells you how they are starting to work of there sentences is really interesting all the trial and rivulations they go through, I'm about to start the 3rd book. The Silk Thief there is 4 in the series.
Kylie
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous book by one of my favourite authors. The second book in a series set in convict settled Sydney. Stories of brothels, thieves, murder, love and friendships make this a great book to lose yourself in.
Kathy
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. Set In colonial days you follow the lives of three convict girls. There were four but one died in the first book which I haven't read.
Cant wait till the next book comes out.
Robyn Smith
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great follow-up to Deborah Challinor's first in this series, Behind the Sun. It evokes the grim and grimy world of 1830s Sydney eloquently and the characters become even more alive, still steadfast in their promise to fully support each other. i look forward to the third book!
Rosemary Phelps
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disappointed I did not know this was the 2nd book of the series, haven't read the first but managed to gather enough hints to follow the story line. Well written and fairly engrossing, will be reading the next book.
Janine
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first in the series in part because I struggled to remember what had happened in the first book. This one also didn't resolve a lot of issues as that will happen in the next book. Interesting once I got into it but that took a while.
Tracy
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Continues a great story - really enjoying the series.

• Wild Lands
  • Currawong Manor
  • Ronan's Echo
  • Bridget Crack
  • A Time of Secrets
  • Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #5)
  • The Soldier's Curse (Monsarrat #1)
  • Searching For The Secret River
  • Palace of Tears
  • Blackwattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Matilda's Freedom
  • The Wife's Tale
  • A Woman Transported
  • The Tailor's Girl
  • To Name Those Lost
  • Stella and Margie
  • Heart of Coal
  • Poppy's Dilemma
Born in Huntly, she holds a PhD in New Zealand history from the University of Waikato. Challinor has worked as a fulltime writer and historian since 2000.

Primarily known for her historical novels, Deborah Challinor’s first published books were non-fiction history books, including the best-selling Grey Ghosts: New Zealand Vietnam Vets Talk About Their War (Hodder Moa Beckett, 1998).

Her first histor

Convict Girls (4 books)
  • Behind the Sun (Convict Girls #1)
  • The Silk Thief (Convict Girls #3)
  • A Tattooed Heart (Convict Girls #4)