Jump to ratings and reviews

A Kiss of Revenge

To Reese Templeton, marriage is completely over-rated, especially after her quadratic failure. She wants to settle down to a solitary life of owning a bakery. Too bad her super-human talents and the search for her husband’s killer have made her something of a human tazer. She’s full of enough electricity to short out a city block or send a man into cardiac arrest with just one kiss.

But the alluring P.I. Griffin Chase, a man she has a history with, is stirring up feelings of need she hasn’t felt in years. Only this time, her desire to be in his arms has nothing to do with her fear of loneliness and everything to do with the current charging through her body every time he looks at her…touches her.

Griffin hasn't remained at Reese's side just because of the spark that has nothing to do with her super-human talents. He's willing to compromise his rock-solid principles so she can find closure. But before they can move on, he must help her catch her late husband’s killer, staying on track before she has a chance to exact her revenge. Because leading Reese to jail in handcuffs may just break his heart for the final time.

250 pages, ebook

First published November 25, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Natalie J. Damschroder

61 books227 followers
Natalie J. Damschroder is an award-winning author of contemporary and paranormal romance, with an emphasis on romantic adventure. She has had 31 novels, 11 novellas, and numerous short stories published by several publishers, most recently with Soul Mate Publishing, Entangled Publishing, and Carina Press.

Natalie grew up in Massachusetts, and loves the New England Patriots more than anything. (Except her family. And writing and reading. And popcorn.) When she’s not writing, she does freelance editing and proofreading. She and her husband have two daughters, one of whom is also a novelist. (The other one prefers math. Smart kid. Practical.)

Like on Facebook!

She recently debuted her Fusion Series, a young adult paranormal adventure series, with Full Fusion, as NJ Damschroder. Learn more about those books here.

Read an interview with Natalie and her old cat Frisbee by the famous Meankitty!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
84 reviews1 follower
January 18, 2014
Reese has been having nothing but bad luck, where her family members are concerned. From the death of her mother and father and then now husbands later (yes I said husbands as in more than one), can her life get any worse!! Straight from the beginning my heart went to Reese and everything she has gone through, everyone has a breaking point and in my opinion she has definitely reached it if I was in her shoe. You could almost say that she is definitely followed by nothing but bad luck!
When she meets Griffin (who is the Private investigator she hires) and they automatically feel an attraction she tries everything she can to stay away from affections because of her past.
This book has definitely lots of mystery with action and suspense all rolled into one. On top of that the author even managed to add some romance and a twist in the mix. I would have to say this was a great read and the characters that she created each brought their own stories to make this one a better one. Just remember when you read this there are parts of it that you will have to remember the world the author created for Reese.
A Kiss of Revenge was an easy read and I did enjoy most of the book especially with the twist and surprises that the author threw us.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Linda.
2,041 reviews62 followers
Read
November 30, 2013
My Netgalley copy had the flaw that it didn´t show any fl- or fi- *sigh* I tried reading 30% but it became too distracting.
Add to it the plot that didn´t sit well with me for some reason. I didn´t have any trouble with her being electric, but her husband is in a coma, she doesn´t want him back, she wants revenge for the murder attempt - by burglaring !? and to top it off, her husbands best friend, her PI, is her love interest? I stopped reading when she at one house she was burglaring approached the bad guys saying she was the woman they were expecting.
15 reviews
November 26, 2013
This was a good read with a twist at the end. I would recommend this book for light reading but didn't really feel like it was something to sink my teeth into. Great if you want something to read in a waiting room.

I received an eARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Margaret.
609 reviews14 followers
November 18, 2013
Solid 3.5 stars – heavy on the suspense, lighter on the romance

Reese Templeton has not had any luck in the marriage department. She has been widowed twice, then divorced, and her current husband is hospitalized, in an unresponsive condition since the plane he was piloting crashed a year ago – a crash that Reece herself was in. After her recovery, Reese discovers that she has acquired the super-human talent of harnessing electricity, acting like a human Taser. She has also become determined to find the real culprit behind the plane crash, the secret partner whose identity her husband never revealed, but who wanted her husband out of the way when he wanted to sever their business arrangement. The same business arrangements that had brought a level of distrust and suspicion to their marriage.

As she is recovering, Reese hires the services of a private investigator, Griffin Chase. Although she keeps telling herself that theirs is a relationship based on friendship, she slowly begins to acknowledge that her feelings for Griff have grown, and he also feels the same way.
“Tears trickled into her hair. How could she have let herself fall for Griff? Yet another man, this time when she wasn’t even free to do so. He’s the best of them, her heart whispered, and that may have been, but it didn’t change the circumstances. She’d reached a point of no return with that moment on his bed. She couldn’t deny her feelings for him, but she couldn’t share them with him, either.

As Reese tries to uncover clues to reveal the identity of the man responsible for the plane crash, she must thwart hired guns and unsavory characters – and thankfully Griff always has her back. The investigation heats up and Reese and Griff must work together to ensure Reese’s safety and bring justice for Reese’s husband.

This was an action packed book, full of bad guys and drama. Reese it torn – she knows that she must push Griff away because she is still married and she can’t leave her husband until she brings him justice. She also knows that her quest for justice is something she must do alone since she doesn’t want Griff to have to compromise his ethics as a private investigator – a quest which will also hinder any chances of them having a relationship after things are finally settled.

Griff was a great character, always there to support Reese, ever patient in waiting for her to move on from her husband, but never pressuring her in any way.

Some of the scenes that Reese seemed to find herself in sometimes seemed a bit unbelievable, but since she had this awesome human-Taser superpowers it made them ok.

There’s not a lot of heat in this book – more action and drama than romance, but there is a HEA, so all works out in the end! If you like your romantic suspense heavy on the suspense and lighter on the romance, this one is for you!

I received an eARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for MsChris1161.
468 reviews44 followers
January 14, 2014
Ever since Reese's husband Brian's "silent" partner had tried to silence them by sabotaging their plane a year ago leaving Brian in a vegetative state and her with residual side-effects from the plane being struck by lightning as it was going down, she has been on a mission to identify him and seek her vengeance. A KISS OF REVENGE by Natalie J. Damschroder is an action-packed thrill ride from start to finish.

It's difficult not to feel for Reese, who has never really had a break from heartache and loss. First her father, then her mother, then her first husband who as a rookie cop was killed by a dirty cop. Her second husband died in a car wreck while on a business trip. Her third husband left her after six months when he tired of her and found someone new. And now Brian, for all intents and purposes has left her a widow again. She's unable to move on with her life and so she seeks closure where she can find it, by tracking down the man who tried to kill them both and she hires gorgeous private investigator Griffin Chase to help her do it. In between dodging criminals, well-meaning police chiefs, and even FBI agents in their sometimes less than legal means of finding clues and evidence, they find an electrifying attraction to each other. Given what Reese sees as must be a curse for any man who loves her, she denies her feelings for Griffin are anything more than friendly and does what she feels she must to discourage him. All to keep him safe from the chaos and destruction that has become her life. But he is not so easily deterred even when he knows she is technically unavailable. To Griffin, Reese is worth the wait. And the danger.

AKoR is well-paced with action, danger, mysteries to be solved, bad guys to be caught, romance to be found, and a bit of a surprise at the end. A well-played surprise, Ms. Damschroder. Very well-played.

Admittedly there were several scenes where I was shaking my head at Reese for her stubbornness and seemingly lack of the sense God gave her, with some of the foolish decisions she made. BUT more importantly, I realized I had not put AKoR down until it was finished and I had thoroughly enjoyed the adventure I had just taken with Reese and Griffin. Had in fact been hanging on every word. To me that alone deserves at least a four star rating.

*I received this eBook free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Denise.
4,120 reviews13 followers
November 28, 2013
It was my pleasure to read this author for the first time and wow boy she packs a good one. Great prologue the kind that says ha ha you are mine now. Revenge is alot of work and time with the determination to back it up and not let it go. Sometimes right reasons to person but not always rational as time goes on. Reese is got time in and no end in sight for hers. Funny about the town she is in they think she is someone who just runs a bakery. She also has a little bit something extra going on with result of her cause for revenge can anybody say human conductor? Get her too excited and zapping is her recourse. Learning to live with it and deal with it is also something else along the side she must get a handle on. Now mind you she doesn't do this all by herself, she does have help with finding out stuff she hired it. Griffin the fine investigator he is can be a good ally to have also. Sheriff Andrew also wants to be a ally but Reese just wants him to mind himself. Stuffed to the gills intrigue and adventure here and sometimes hair raising. Last but not least expertly woven in this story is romance. It is entered in at the right time and grows on its own the way this story needed it. Love does have a way of fueling things and shedding the light of a few things also. Since this is such a good suspense trying not to spoil too much for those who desire to read this one because it is one not to be missed. Would definitely read more from this author too. But first will have to rest the hands from all the gripping of the arm or seat while reading. Received an arc for a honest review.
Profile Image for ♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡.
939 reviews88 followers
December 3, 2013
Well... I had a couple relationship issues while reading that kind of get me turning from this book. One was a typo ruining the flow & the other was the lack of connection because of it.

First, my free sample for an honest review bordered on unreadable because it was missing all of the fi's & fl's that start, connect or end a word, throughout the ENTIRE book... I was totally perplexed in the first section of the book when they were FLying or can't FInd something etc...Enough already!! That not being the author's fault, but if a publisher needs to up their reviews??? They should make sure it's readable!

Second... geez! This woman has a bad dark cloud following her! dead husbands, one near dead... she's spending all her money on a guy locked in a brain dead state... Then she has to try to find who tried to kill them too?

I was just high strung & stressed during this story, but really, if you can overcome the above, or it isn't an issue in your copy, I am sure you can probably form a better relationship with the characters than I did/could. I felt hopeless.

**Just a note, I live with 2 dyslexics & can read anything, but when partial words are missing, it fries my brain! I actually became exhausted!

This had great potential to draw me completely in, but just as I was drawn in, BAM I had to stop. Then figure out the word. It DID NOT take long, but it ruined the flow & character development for me. Sorry.

If I had a clean copy, I know I would review totally different, but right now I can't.

Could have been amazing, but nope. Fell short
Profile Image for Ruth.
591 reviews59 followers
November 29, 2013
This one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, has an intriguing premise, but unfortunately, it didn't live up to it for me.

The heroine has a very checkered marital history, was involved in a plane crash and has, in the process, developed some rather unusual powers as a result of being struck by lightning.

It's a shame that something which starts so well, really left me feeling cold. I was left with a list of questions rattling round my head as I read.

What's the deal with the multiple marriages? Is that supposed to say something about the heroine (gullibility or naivety or just a positive outlook)? Or is it irrelevant?

Why is the hero essentially a nondescript cardboard cut-out of a character, who spends the whole time being bossed around by a woman who constantly fluffs up? Why is he doing what this silly woman says, when he clearly knows better? And why can't we learn more about him?

Why not tell us more about how the heroine's powers develop instead of just dumping them on us?

And why was this book so long? It could have been wrapped up in at least an hour less of reading time, and it just ended up feeling like it was dragging on, and on, and on...

So, heroine who's TSTL, hero who I couldn't tell you much about if I wanted to, and a story that goes on too long, but which has a great premise.

Shame. 2 stars. It's OK.
Profile Image for Jenn.
Author 27 books464 followers
December 5, 2013
There were a lot of things I liked about this book. I applaud the author's courage in giving us a heroine who's been married four times — you don't often see that in a romance! I also enjoyed Reese's personal journey that ran in parallel to her quest, the assimilation of everything she'd learned from her four marriages. The electricity thing was neat, as well, adding another layer to the story.

All that said, there wasn't enough romance in the book for me. The majority of the book was scenes of Reese acting on her own — which is great in a "strong female character" sort of way, and I did admire her guts — but it's not what I expect in a romance. I want to see the hero and heroine working together, as partners, and that happened far too infrequently. I felt that I never really got to know Griff, which was a shame, because what I saw I liked. In general, there just wasn't enough significant interaction between Reese and other characters at all.

Profile Image for Vicky.
Author 22 books45 followers
December 16, 2013
Action, adventure, and romance. What could be better?

This is a story that contains all that, plus the touch of suspense and the paranormal as the main character, Reese, attempts to find out who tried to kill her and her husband.

I did have some minor issues with the fact that Reese had two husbands die on her, a third divorce her and her fourth in a coma. However, the author gives good reasons for all these misfortunes that make it believable. And the new love interest, Griff, is adorable. I love the scene where he buys her a necklace "because it's...you." I love that he cares for her even when the electricity pounding through her burns him.

And yes, Reese is paranormal. Since the accident that put her husband in his coma, she has this "thing" with electricity.

So... action, adventure, super-abilities, suspense, romance... it's all in there. No, this isn't deep literature, but it is a good story that made for an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Laylaw.
323 reviews5 followers
February 4, 2014
2.5 Holy Marriages Black widow! Seriously, Reese is having some major issues as she is followed by bad luck everywhere. She has been widowed, lost her parents, and now has a husband in a coma from a man and given her super human electrical powers.

Reese hires Griffin Chase (Love that name!)to help her and she ends up finding herself wanting more from him than either of them expected. The suspense was good and I liked some of the twists thrown in, but I wanted more romance in this story. I mean for a lady with that many marriages she must be good with some of that, right? But seriously it was a good read but it didn't knock my socks off. I love the cover and seriously lusted over it, but I needed more of Reese and Griffin! I got more from the suspense side than the romance end but it was a good read.

*This honest review was done in exchange for an ARC through NetGalley from Entangled Publishing, LLC*
Profile Image for Janet.
1,544 reviews14 followers
December 6, 2013
Light suspense and a touch of romance plus electricity made this a fun read. Add to that the heroine having been married 4 times and you have yourself a great story premise. It was a quick read, fairly evenly paced. If you want a light afternoon
s read, this ones for you; likeable characters, witty dialogue and a fun flirty story.
*I received my copy from NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Amanda.
188 reviews3 followers
December 14, 2013
This book is electrifying ;).It had suspense and some romance. This book is good for a light read. Would read more by this author and recommend to read.
Profile Image for Angie.
2,326 reviews228 followers
December 18, 2020
Proceed with Caution:

This book contains attempted murder, murder, mentions of human trafficking and rape, and prostitution.

The Basics:

This is a Romantic Suspense with a minor Paranormal twist. It’s narrated in third person by Reese, who was in a plane crash with her husband. He’s now in a coma and she is a human electricity conductor. Reese just wants to get her new ability under control, kill the man who came after her husband, and live a normal life.

My Thoughts:

A Kiss of Revenge had a lot of good elements going for it, but none of them ever came together. I was eager to learn more about Reese’s ability to control (or not) electricity, but it was very much in the background. Only coming up when convenient. As for the revenge plot, I didn’t understand why she was seeking revenge. On top of that, the romance was very light, verging on nonexistent. There’s a lot going on, but also nothing going on. It was frustrating.

Reese’s need for revenge was the main plot point of A Kiss of Revenge, as implied by the title. Her fourth husband, Brian, was into some shady business, drew her into it, and it nearly got both of them killed. A year later, Reese has opened a bakery and is trying to hunt down her husband’s business partner who was responsible for the plane crash. However, she mentions multiple times that she was falling out of love with Brian and that she definitely didn’t trust him, so why does she want to avenge him? It seemed more like she needed revenge ON Brian! She also talks about getting closer for him, but he’s the one who was up to no good and it caught up to him? I’m confused.

Reese, of course, hires a private detective to help her track this man down. However, Griffin doesn’t actually do anything. Reese is out every night scouting the neighborhood where the believes the bad man lives. She’s the one coming up with ideas to get into the house and make contact. She’s the one stumbling upon clues and piecing things together. Griffin takes out the trash at her bakery. And kisses her once before getting electrocuted, because super powers. There is one sex scene, but it ends badly because of course it does.

A Kiss of Revenge was just not good. Everything felt forced and came together oddly. It was just all over the place. Lots of good ideas, but terrible execution.
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.