Start by marking “Laid Off and Crazy Happy - Memoirs of a Houseband” as Want to Read:
Laid Off and Crazy Happy - Memoirs of a Houseband

Read Book

Laid Off and Crazy Happy - Memoirs of a Houseband

Author Andy Weisberg chronicles his transformation from corporate executive to “Houseband”, detailing the ups and downs of the journey and his unique perspective for dealing with it all. Chapters range from routine housekeeping tasks to the nature of time and space, with some especially valuable ideas on work and play. With plenty of exercises for readers to experiment wit ...more
ebook, 1st, 214 pages
Published September 29th 2013 by Aviva (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Laid Off and Crazy Happy - Memoirs of a Houseband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laid Off and Crazy Happy - Memoirs of a Houseband

Andy Weisberg
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm a little biased. I wrote it. But I'd like to tell whoever reads this how it came about, and why I think it's a great book that could really help a lot of people.

This book was written on a dare and a lark.

One Summer day, while sitting in the shallow end of a public pool and extolling the merits of my unique approach to housework, my wife turned and said to me, “Why don’t you write about this stuff?” So I did. And my intent was to just capture some of that “uniqueness” which makes up my surpr
Silvia T.
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
First of all I'd like to say that I have never read a self-help/motivational book before and found it to be entertaining, motivational and REALLY FUNNY.

Laid Off and Crazy Happy is a memoir about Andy Weisberg being a "houseband". He describes how everyday mundane tasks like cleaning, shovelling the snow, mowing the lawn and loading the dishwasher could be fun, entertaining forms of art and could potentially bring you happiness.

What I loved the most about this book is the fact that I could easily
Darlene
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on a good reads first read give away.I highly recommend this book it was a fun read and more than met my expectations. it Gives you a look into how one person went from Corporate america to House Husband. He gives it his all and along the way learns that running a house is not sitting on the couch watching soap operas and eating Bonbons.He gives advice and shares his schedules and organizing his day ,I laughed at some of the things he did like giving a first hand account of his s ...more
Eva
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prior to reading "Laid Off and Crazy Happy", I thought the book would be totally a humourous take on the daily life of a house husband. However, I am presently surprised. Andy Weisberg describes the sunny side of not working along with "a bit about the darker side of being out of work." After each chapter, there are some reflective exercises to reinforce his discussion.

This would be a good book to read for someone who is seeking work and would help you see your situation from a different perspe
Claudia
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a humorously written guide to making the most out of your life, despite what the circumstances of your life are at present. As Weisberg states "sooner or later all jobs come to an end", therefore it is important to not only come to turns but look at the positive things even though you've been set back by a major negative. This book is not only about working but living at home and finding enjoyment in the little things. He also highlights that household chores can be quite a workout, so n ...more
Lance Labelle
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought provoking, well-written book. The theme is much more than just “whistle while you work”. Andy teaches us that happiness is really more about how we each choose to experience life as opposed to thinking we're only passengers and it's all outside of our control. If you want to embrace the philosophy of enjoying (or trying to enjoy) whatever you are doing—I highly recommend this book.—Lance LaBelle
Joan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I entered this giveaway out of curiousity more than anything as it is really irrelevant to me- an old lady. I was surprised to receive it and so I read it. Had a bit of a chuckle along the way, agreed with some things and not others. It was interesting. After the chapter about taking his daughter on to the roof to survey and appreciate the world I asked my daughter if I could go up with her next time not surprisingly I got a resounding NO.
Samantha
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brilliant-book
When this arrived i thought it was probably a good one for my husband to read and i wasn't wrong he didn't put it down in 2 days till he had finished it. He said it was great and he would read more from this author in a heart beat. I am sure i will get round to reading it very soon but for now take my husbands word for it that its a great book.
Jazz
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Great ideas on how to think about approaching tasks in a different way, exploring options on your personal attitudes regarding work, family etc.

Thank you Goodreads Giveaways for the opportunity to have won this book.

Holly
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny! Good read!
Marybeth
Smart, funny, insightful - a must-read!
Tanya
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a easy, fun read. Which might not sound like a great review - but it is. Was reading it in Doctor's waiting rooms - and I would be smiling- sometime laughing to my self.
Peter
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed this very much,
Zon Weisberg
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What makes this book worth reading is the approach that the author takes to every day issues and questions. The unique and informative style is refreshing and fun. The humor, common sense and a down to earth feel make this book as accessible to read as it is interesting. A great read if you are looking to be entertained, learn and grow! HIGHLY suggest!
Becky Hart
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this as a goodreads giveaway. I was expecting a memoir and not a how-to on cleaning my house and yard. The author had a couple of good points but overall I would not recommend this book.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
  • The Matchmaker, the Apprentice, and the Football Fan: More Stories of China
  • Dorothy Parker: In Her Own Words
  • Cristman
  • Someone to Restore Me
  • Carla the Cow (The Diaries of Robin's Toys)
  • Rocket Ship
  • Danger at Come-alive Cottage (Come-alive Cottage 2)
  • A Kick-Ass Fairy
  • The Prime Minister's Daughter
  • The Demon of Montreal
  • To Sleep... Perchance to Die
  • Beyond the Rails: Six Tales of Steampunk Adventure on the African Frontier
  • Writers Dreaming: 26 Writers Talk About Their Dreams and the Creative Process
  • Breathless
  • Earth 2.1:  Regenesis (Earth 2.0 Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of Duels
ANDY WEISBERG is an author, professional speaker and coach. Few presenters can claim to have been both a professional performer and a corporate executive. Andy spent 20 years as a successful actor, director, theater teacher and performance consultant at multiple universities, and then spent another 20 years as a successful corporate trainer, an Organizational Development Specialist and ultimately ...more