Start by marking “When You're Ready (Ready, #1)” as Want to Read:
When You're Ready (Ready, #1)

When You're Ready (Ready #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  9,983 Ratings  ·  1,003 Reviews
She wasn't ready.
She'd never be ready,
...to say goodbye.

Clare Murray knew that all too well. Still holding the last letter her husband wrote her before he died, those words, written in his quirky, messy handwriting, "When You're Ready," still bring her to her knees. And that was so long ago...

Now, when fate brings her face-to-face with a stormy-eyed doctor intent on changi
Published July 23rd 2013 by J.L. Berg (first published July 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When You're Ready, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You're Ready

Christy
4 stars

photo 3007E138-C4DF-400B-A3C3-149A6C7FD746_zps7n8eysmn.jpg

When You’re Ready was equal parts sweet, emotional and heartwarming. I love stories like this. I listened to the audio version and after only an hour in I could tell this book was going to be a win for me. Single mom who has been widowed and a hot single doctor with a bit of a reputation.

The story starts with Clare taking her daughter, Maddie, to the emergency room. The doctor they get happens to be handsome Dr. Logan Matthews. When they meet, sparks fly from both ends. There are many
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ by: Lady Vigilante (Feifei)

5/7/15 FREEBIE on AMZ- http://amzn.to/1RfGV7E

5 Fabulous, Emotional Stars!

photo 69E32150-BD41-4073-87D7-448E2953F2ED_zpscomnytta.jpg

Wow! This is the kind of read that made me fall in love with books! I seriously loved this story! When You're Ready is the love story of Clare and Logan. Clare, a young widow, meets the dashing Dr. Logan Matthews in the emergency room when her daughter Maddie takes a fall and has a possible concussion. Clare is completely covered in stinky puke when this handsome doctor walks in and sets her world on fire.

Clare's husband
Mo
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading reviews and the blurb I sure thought I would be a blubbering mess while reading this. Now, I don't think I am a cynical c**t BUT this book just read like a cliche to me. It was a nice read. Characters were nice. I was expecting way more from this book than I got. I was quite disappointed.

I read some reviews that said they shed tears with this one. Yikes, nope, not me.

It had the cute kid, the sexy doctor, the beautiful widow.

Think it was a case of me not them. I read a few books there rec
Beverly
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listend to the audio version of this book and the narration isn't my favorite, but I did love the story. It's an emotional story about a woman starting over after losing her husband. I love stories with kids, they are my jam. So naturally I loved those moments with her and her daughter, but I really loved them with Logan. I love how they transformed him and gave him a place to belong.

This story is well written, sweet, swoon worthy and sexy, but never over the top. Definitely recommend!
Ingela
Written March 3, 2015

3.2 Stars - Super über sweet and maybe too 'perfect' — nevertheless heart-touching

I read a happy review about this book, got interested, took a chance and "clicked". Contemporary m/f romances in this genre can be both unexpected success readings or real lows for me. I started with crossed fingers and great hope.

Nine audiobooks hours later...
I'm perhaps slightly disappointed but still in a good mood. Perhaps the time has run out and I've outgrown this kind of romances.
Hanne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this emotional, sweet and beautiful book! J.L. Berg wrote another amazing story and I can’t wait to read Never Been Ready. Logan and Clare are incredible characters. Clare is a caring, insecure, loving woman. She lost her husband a few years ago and has dedicated her life to raising their daughter, Maddie, ever since. She isn’t really loving her life. Logan is a smart, caring and hardworking man. He’s amazing and so adorable with Maddie. He wasn’t looking for love and he never wanted a ...more
~ Becs ~
I really do enjoy an emotional story that I can fully lose myself in, to get to know and love the characters and share with them their happiness and despair and lows and highs and that’s exactly what I got with When You’re Ready. I have to confess I cried multiple times during this – so many tear-jerking moments. It’s an emotional roller-coaster and also an incredibly beautiful love story that truly moved me. I’d love to see this one made into a film – I’d sob all the way through it.

Our central
Lyndy Ann ♫
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, chick-lit
This is the debut novel from J L Berg and after loving When You're Ready I will definitely be reading her future books.

I needed a good book to get me over a book I just read that I disliked, I was NOT disappointed with When You're Ready I loved this book.

The story has everything you need for a great read,

super sexy Doctor Logan Metthews
strong widow Clare
and a super cute little ballerina Maddie
and a great group of friends.

This story is sweet, romantic, sexy, hot and sad (I cried).

Looking forwar
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Reviewed for Totallybookedblog.com

So there I was in a bit of a reading conundrum. I had no idea what I wanted to read next but I did know I was in the mood for something romantic. Something that was going to melt my heart, make me feel all gooey inside, keep me invested and hopefully make me cry and I have to say, When You’re Ready certainly ticked all these boxes.

This is a beautiful story. No doubt about it. I am an absolute sucker for second chance romances, throw in a cute 4 year old who stol
Polly
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So when you have to excuse yourself from your family to go upstairs and sob while reading a book, you know you've hit the literal jackpot.
I loved LOVED this book!
Jacqueline's Reads
Jul 11, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
The beginning started off strong, but I got a little distracted. Something is just not jiving for me. So for now, I will finish later

When Clare Murray suffers the tragic loss of her husband Ethan, leaving her alone to raise their infant daughter, she feels the grief overwhelming her, seeping into her very soul. Weeks later, she stumbles upon an envelope with the words “When You’re Ready” written in Ethan’s familiar messy handwriting, but can’t bring herself to breach the seal. Ready for what? He
Jill

****This book was part of a blog tour I was given a copy for my honest review****

"I have so many things I want to say to you, so many words to write. But how do you fit a lifetime into a letter?"

Clare is surviving....barely. Left a single mother after the tragic death of her husband to cancer, emotions are still very raw, fear and panic a constant in her life.
She has not dealt yet with the loss keeping herself busy being a good mother to their daughter. A Letter marked " When you're r
Jessica's Book Review
“You. I’m smiling because of you. You’ve taught me to smile again.”

First, can I just say I LOVE the title? “When You’re Ready”… it says so much and you know right away this is going to be an emotional read just be those three little words. I was instantly intrigued and wanted to know…. ready for what? When who’s ready? After reading the synopsis I just knew this would be my next book! I had to start it and once I did I could not put it down. I read it in one long sitting with a box of tissues.
AJ
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeously sweet ‘feel good’ romance with lots of swoony moments, very little angst and lots of heart.

Clare is a 28 year old single mother, raising her 4 year old daughter, Maddie, alone since the tragic death of her husband three years previously. Ethan was the love of her life and she misses him terribly, but she has accepted that she is now on her own and is doing her best to live a happy life for her and her daughter. I really admire her! She does have one remaining piece of Ethan
Liza
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hot doctor, sweet single mom and an adorable daughter completes this happily-ever-after book.

When You're Ready is an awesome first book to the amazing series that J.L Berg has created. I loved every single scene between Logan and Clare. Logan is such a sweet dad and his happiness when he is with Clare and Maddie is very infectious--- that is how very effective J.L Berg was in telling this love story.

This book took me by surprise. Around 20% left with it, my tears came out rapidly like a faucet.
Miriam Mathew
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You. I’m smiling because of you. You've taught me to smile again.” I didn't think I would ever have anything to smile about again.

When You’re Ready is a story of letting go of the past and taking hold of the future. It’s a story of second chances and how to love again. It’s a story that deals with death in a fragile, yet blunt manner. It’s a story that will punch you right in the stomach and tug painfully at your heart.

P.S And not to get crass but Logan is really, seriously fuckable. I bet he
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 stars***

This was such a sweet book. Dr. Logan Matthews was all kinds of swoony. He was so patient with Clare and so sweet with Maddie. This book really needed to be handled with care, and how Logan dealt with a widow and her 4 year old is something that could have gone very wrong, but Ms. Berg did a great job pacing their relationship, and building a bond betweent the three of them. It could have easily felt like Clare's deceased husband Ethan would always be first and Logan was just a re
Chris- Bookaddict
This story is raw, it is full of emotion. It will grip you right from the beginning and not let you go until the end.

Clare has been left a single mother and is barely surviving.. Her husband suddenly passed away from Cancer and she is left alone to raise their infant daughter.She has not dealt with the death of her husband yet either. She has a Letter marked " When you're ready" and it is still unsealed and she cannot bear the thought of opening it.

She moves through the motions daily in her lif
Deb Dee (autumn delaney)
FIVE AWESOME STARS!!!

Got an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was ecstatic when I opened my email and found an advance copy of this book. Again, thank you Jennifer!

"You're wrong, Clare. Nothing will ever keep me from you. I'll never stop chasing you."

I can honestly say this is the first book that I read that captured me from start to finish. I was with the characters all throughout. I was giddy when they first met, I was swept off with their first kiss, I was crying (and I'm not ashamed of
Anahita
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a heart warming sweet second chance book. It was funny and an easy read from beginning to end and very engaging. Clare and Logan relationship develops slowly and sweetly.
This is a touching book, you will be sure to enjoy.
Jeynna ( The Romance Junkie)
Nov 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 55%

Seriously, I need to stop this now. I couldn’t keep this up anymore. I should have DNFed this at 10% but I see a lot of potential in this book, but it’s not working for me.
description

So let me just go straight to the things that I don’t like shall we?
description

The story is pretty predictable, plain and boring. Am I too cruel to say, that Maddie’s presence kinda pissed me off? (don’t judge me). Another thing is, the author is trying too hard to show Clare’s love for sweets. Everytime, sweet foods was ment
FMABookReviews
4 SECOND CHANCE Stars

This was a sweet, second chance, read. Clare and Logan were both given a second chance at love when they found each other...she, because her husband had died 3 years previously and he, because he had recently gotten divorced. Clare, a single mother of a sweet four-year old, didn't think she could ever find love again since she had been married to her soul-mate. Logan, didn't believe he was capable of feeling love, so the idea of finding love was nothing he thought possible.
Kara
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was sweet. I recommend it if you are looking for a simple beautiful read.
Clau
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-english, kindle
I almost DFN this one.
It was too sweet, to dramatic, too unreal. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes. I didn't like Clare. It really bothered me that she wasn't such a great mom (once, she left her child alone in her home to visit Logan!). The ending felt fake and kind of rushed.
Nope. I didn't like this,
Willow ~ The Romance Cover
**ARC Received for honest review**

I'd been looking forward to this book and couldn't wait to start it. The prologue starts off three years earlier and is told from Ethan's POV. Ethan knows he doesn't have much time left and sits down to write his wife, Clare a letter for after he's gone. He puts it in an envelope marked "When you're ready"

Jump to three years later and Clare is in the Emergency room with her 4 year old daughter Maddie after she's fallen. It brings back horrible memories for Cl
Laura Smith
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC was provided free for honest review - and I'm so glad it was!

This book has a little bit everything. Great friends, hot doctors (automatically went back to Dr Carter and Dr Ross in ER, guess I'm showing my age), happiness, sadness, life and death.

Clare hasn't had it easy, as a young widow and single mum, she has had to be everything in her daughters life, and her own life stopped. The story starts with every parents nightmare, having to rush your child into A&E, but for Clare this was wo
Alima Livzletlivz
Spoiler alert! Please no brick bats.....

Some things cannot be protected from storms. Life is all about weathering those storms, setting your sails on a different course when needed and grabbing tight to second chances when they fall into our lap. Not everyone is lucky enough to get those second chances....

"When You Are Ready" is just that..... a story of second chances, taking support from family and friends, remembering that there is still a lot of positive and good people left in this world, i
Falling In Fall Book Blog
***An ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.***
View the full review and more by Ashton at http://fallinginfall.blogspot.com.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved When You're Ready by J.L. Berg. First off, I will say the author is an absolute sweetheart and an extremely talented writer. Now that the indie romance community has skyrocketed, everyone thinks they can write a novel, but not many can actually write well. Yes, there are many decent indie romances to div
Anne OK
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
A little gem perfectly titled – “When You’re Ready” is a bittersweet second chance at love plot that is bittersweet and tender.

When her four year old daughter is rushed to the ER, Clare, a young widow still grieving the loss of her young husband, meets her future. Both Clare and Dr. Logan Matthews feel an instant attraction. But as they say, “it’s complicated” as they each struggle with feelings of devastating loss in their lives.

I am always thrilled to get POVs from both leading characters. For
Sara Kate
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-on-kindle
Her husband dies of a brain tumor and left her a widow with their baby girl. She takes her daughter to ER almost 3 years after his death when Maddie hits her head. That's where she meets hunky Dr. Logan Mathews and it's a slow burn of love that grows between them two. They both have stuff to deal with in their past that they need to let go to be able to move forward together: Just when they are on track something happens to them that could force them apart forever.
It was a good story but it jus
Leanne Flashberg - Best way to explore a book 1 24 Feb 28, 2014 02:15AM
  • Living Again (Living Again, #1)
  • Everything I've Never Had (Everything, #1)
  • Take Care, Sara
  • A Cry for Hope (Hope, #1)
  • Love Square (Love Square, #1)
  • Freeing Asia (Breaking Free, #1)
  • Undescribable (Undescribable, #1)
  • Mid-Life Love (Mid-Life Love, #1)
  • Recovery (Mending Hearts, #1.5)
  • Cowboy Town (Down Under Cowboy, #1)
  • Kiss This (The McCallans, #1)
  • Beautifully Awake (Beautifully Awake, #1)
  • Spark (Spark, #1)
  • Ignite (Explosive, #1)
  • Taming the Playboy (Moretti Novels, #2)
  • Ending a Broken Journey (Journey, #1)
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
  • The Do Over (The Do Over, #1)
J.L. Berg is the USA Today bestselling author of the Ready series, the Walls duet and the Lost & Found series. She is a California native living in the beautiful state of historic Virginia. Married to her high school sweetheart, they have two beautiful girls that drive them batty on a daily basis. When she's not writing, you will find her cuddled up, watching a movie with her family, obsessing ...more
More about J.L. Berg

Ready (4 books)
  • Never Been Ready (Ready, #2)
  • Ready for You (Ready, #3)
  • Ready or Not (Ready, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Clare, this…what we’re doing? It has to be all or nothing. And I want all of you. When you cry, I want to be the one holding you. No matter the reason. So please, let me hold you.” 15 likes
“I want a clean slate with you, Clare. You’re special to me. I don’t know what we’re doing or where it’s going but I’ve never felt anything like this, and I can’t mess that up by doing the same shit I’ve always done.” 10 likes