Start by marking “My Lea (A Broken Love Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Lea (A Broken Love Story, #1)

My Lea

(A Broken Love Story #1)

A simple girl.

A broken guy.

One horrible incident.

When Lea Amelia landed her feet in San Francisco for her overseas study, her idea of freedom was simple, like eating junk food ten times a day, sitting in front of the TV in her PJs, or going out late with her friends without the need to check in with her mother constantly.

Then she met Andrew Jaya, her brothers’ best friend
Published November 11th 2014 (first published November 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Lea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lea

Pearl Angeli
"Love was an anti-gravity force. Love was an art of falling and floating, but never crashing. Love shot her into the sky, then let her fall, absolute falling, and she kept falling and falling. She was falling... defenseless and fast."

I'd give this book 4 Stars. It's my first time to read a book from E. Mellyberry and I was honestly impressed with her writing and the way she plotted the storyline of the book.

My Lea is a story about Indonesian main characters namely Andrew Jaya and Lea Amelia w
E. Mellyberry
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yay. My first debut novel :)

MY LEA is a story about love, hope, forgiveness, and second chance.

**Available in most sites that sell ebook**
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review."

I always choose a quote from the books I fall in love with the most but you guys have no idea what a challenge it was with this one. So I didn't choose, instead I will write an essay that I hope will convey at least a bit of what I went through.

This was my first book by E. and I am... completely and utterly in awe of her. It was painful to read and painful to put down. This book had me laughing uncontrollably from the very start that my cheeks eve
R.K. Ryde
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm giving My Lea 3.5 stars.

This book was gritty and honest and tackled some difficult issues. The main characters were living in America, but had Indonesian heritage, so I enjoyed reading some of the cultural differences. However, Andrew, the male lead, was a difficult character to like and in my view, the incident he was involved in was unforgivable. Meanwhile, Lea was a sweet, naïve girl but I had difficulties in accepting some
Billie
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
******e-ARC was provided by the author for an honest review**********

Congratulations Ms. E. Mellyberry for your debut New Adult novel! I feel very proud I've met you through Goodreads and eventually , became friends! ( really, really good friends! )

When she offered me this book for read and review, I was beyond willing and happy to do it. You might think that I'll be biased since Melly and I were good friends? Uhmmm, so here's the thing : I'll temporary put our friendship aside ( Sorrrrrry M!
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author E. Mellyberry.)
18-year-old Lea has come to America to study at university, when she meets her brother’s friend Andrew. Andrew has secrets, a troubled past, and may have more troubles in his future.

I’m not sure how much sense this review will make, because I am really angry with the male lead in this book. Steaming angry.

Lea was a sweet girl, and put up with her mother’s moaning, and even wanted t
Rachmi Febrianty

ARC was provided by the author in exchange for honest review.

To be honest, I have two different feeling toward this book. In some way I liked it but in another way I didn't quite like it. 1) The writing. I liked the way it's written, though it's told from third person POV while I usually prefer first person POV in contemporary romance story. But in this case, I enjoyed it just like I enjoyed reading from first person POV. The third person POV takes turn telling the story both from Lea
Jona Dauz
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First, I would like to thank the author Ms. E. Mellyberry for generously sharing her book in exchange for a review. I was really honoured and thrilled since I just knew her from a common friend.
This is Melly’s debut novel on New Adult genre and I would say that she did a pretty good job! Melly has a way with words making her book somewhat lyrical in some ways, like I can actually see an ordinary thing in a different light.
“His smile was not the sun, but it was blinding just the same. His smile
Shirley Frances
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Lea arrived in San Francisco she was looking forward to exploring the freedom the move provided. Used to being under her mother's watchul eye, Lea couldn't wait to start her new life abroad. This new life came with the presence of her older brother and his cast of friends, which included Andrew. Soon Lea finds herself fighting her attraction to Andrew while being uncharacteristically drawn to him--moods and all.

Andrew rolls through life without really living it. His past is riddled with pai
Tricia
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gut-wrenching
My review:(Tour Host Jan. 19th)

4.5 stars! Review copy provided.

Let me start by saying I almost didn't finish this book. I rarely do that and because it was a book to review I thought it would be unfair. I am so glad I did. And it had nothing to do with the writing or the story but something happened that is a bit of a hard limit for me, I had to put the book down and decide if I wanted to go through with it. Well...I couldn't leave it, I almost picked it up immediately and continued on. My heart
Martha Sweeney
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Emotional Stars
This story is poignant and not your typical love story, which is not for the faint of heart.

Love and Fear are interesting emotions to say the least - having a different effect on one person from the next in any situation. There is no one way, let alone right way for a human to respond to situations and circumstances presented to them. We just simply respond, or reaction, based on a number of variables.

E. Mellyberry, regardless if you agree with the actions of her main characte
Abbie
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from the author, In exchange for an honest review.)

My Lea was an okay read, but boy did i hate the male lead!

At first, i couldn't connect to any of the characters, and didn't feel anything for them. In the second half though, it all changed. I liked Lea, but really, really hated Andrew.

The first half of this wasn't very enjoyable for me unfortunatley. The pacing was too slow, the characters weren't great, and i just couldn't get interested in the story. The second half was b
Nicole Campbell
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite literally finished this book five minutes ago, and I'm not even sure where my head is at in this moment. This was a really hard book to rate- the prose was beautiful, the characterization was really strong. the storyline killed me, and Lea handled things just so very differently than I would have and I think it made it a bit difficult for me to relate to- that's totally my personal preference though. Dont even get me started on Andrew. I can't. I love that this author tackled such a big ...more
Alice Rachel
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rhea Dsouza
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Ah. So this is what it feels like to have a hate-hate relationship with a book. In the course of this review, I’m going to tell you exactly why one Godforsaken book has spectacularly managed to piss the fuck out of me while also simultaneously making me feel like complete shit for even completing it.

Lea Amelia is an Indonesian local who’s come down to San Francisco to go to college. Unfortunately for her, she has a judgy mom and a good-for-nothing brother, Jo, with whom she is going to stay unti
Pinky Saribanon
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
(source: i received the eARC from the author in exchange for some honest review. Thanks to E. Mellyberry for gave me such opportunity! :))

Hold a lost boy's hand and walk with him, then he will find his way home...

The story about some deadly-handsome guy with scarred past and troubled attitude may not new, but this one is good enough to make me craving for more.

Since it written in the POV style, there will be no problem to understand the characters's feeling, though it also means we lost the f
Subhangsita Das
Graceness flows as the story goes on and on...
My Lea is a story compiled with love, emotions,sadness and a second chance. The story has got the immense power to show the side of a woman who after going through so much brutality had the capacity to stand again and forgive the love of her life and endure him with a second chance and get everything settled. The book is funny at times and at some point of time darkness curves and makes its way which is possibly a different agenda created well by th
Ashley Nestler
Tragic love stories are always a guilty pleasure for me, but lately I have found that when I pick up a tragic love story, it doesn't hit me as hard as I would like; however, that was not the case with My Lea. E. Mellyberry knew how to wrap the romance with tragedy and realistic elements perfectly, and I couldn't put her book down.

Lea, herself, is an intriguing character. The book followers her as she goes to San Francisco for an overseas study, and watching her become a part of American culture
Bea Flores
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Lea is the first book in E. Mellyberry's series. It follows Lea Amelia transferring to San Francisco to study overseas. Her motive was simple: to be free. But then, she discovers that life isn't as simple as she thought it'll be. That brings her to Andrew Jaya. The only son of the Jaya family and one of the richest too. Andrew is a handsome guy. Carefree and is an active party person. Andrew Jaya do things for a reason which means he has his own reasons to put up a wall to everyone. As both c ...more
Eshadi Sharif
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*The author was kind enough to send me a digital copy of My Lea in exchange for an honest review.*
This is a fast paced love story with dual perspectives. Two things I really appreciate the author for is her ability to present culture clash effectively (speaking from experience, I found it EXTREMELY relatable) and her ability to present a novel in dual perspective properly. Both the voices were different & unique-very important qualities of novels in dual perspective.
Moreover, I felt like bo
legenbooksdary
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* I received this book in an exchange for an honest review.

A story full of ups and downs of the two main characters - Andrew and Lea. It contains a heart breaking accident and Andrew's past that keeps his demons attached. A plotline that is most definitely worth all my time.

I love all the characters in the story. Most of them are Indonesians that are living in San Fransisco, US so it is very different than anything you have ever read (i think). They too are all so vibrant and full of diversity
Phoenix
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rating 1.5

Possibly the worse book I have read till now. I must say that I was actually very excited to read the story after reading the plot and seeing the awesome cover but then I got my hopes too high and get disappointed. . . . like a lot.

The male lead was really disturbing and irritating. At first the story started out really good but then the events as they turned out, my interest was lost. At a point, I left the story and started a new book with the intention of never finishing it. But th
Judy Brown
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most emotional book I had ever read... until I read it's sequel 'I Won't Break'.

I laughed out loud at the cute humour. I smiled and sighed at the most beautiful love. I sobbed with grief through the trauma. And then I gasped in awe at the immense power of forgiveness.

At times I could not put it down, and then I had to put it down in order to process the power of emotion E. Mellyberry's word-art had produced in me. Sometimes I was afraid to pick it up again, but I had to.

I learned so
Dolores
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!
The story starts with a witty, bubbly, funny atmosphere, and then you meet heart gripping, nerve wrecking, down spiralling chaos. Part monstrous, part sublime. The thing is I loved it.

Loved the writing style, the characters, even the secondary ones, and especially the kissing elephant. There was a bonus for me because most of the characters belong to a different culture from mine and it was refreshing, like getting to know new friends. There is an intricate rythm through the pro
Rachel Gunter
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for letting me read it!

Unfortunately this book just wasn't for me. I only got part way into it before I decided that I didn't want to go on. I started this with high hopes but I just couldn't get into it. The writing didn't pull me in, and I couldn't connect with the characters. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this book, and it seems like you either love this book or like me can't connect it.

If you're th
Heather
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't really enjoy this book at all but I did enjoy some parts of it. The main parts that I did enjoy were the characters and how they interacted together. They were so well written and were well rounded to help the story out. However, I got bored about half way through it and it was pretty hard for me to get through the book itself. All in All I gave it 4 stars.
Abigail Shepherd
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written and with excellent characterization.
Alice
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an emotional ride! Very well written considering that English is NOT the author's primary language. I look forward to reading the second book--the rest of Lea's story.
Faith Rivens
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2018
A love story that carries the weight of many heavy themes, My Lea was not what I was expecting at all. In a good way!

I don't think I've ever picked up a new adult book before this one. But I enjoy challenging myself to read outside my comfort zone and discover new genres and styles of books to open my eyes to the world.

What really impressed me in this book was the voice of each character. Lea and Andrew have such distinct personalities and it shines through the writing as the story alternates be
Melka Stansah
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed 'My Lea'. I was drawn to the story from the beginning and it did play on my emotions which was fantastic! I love the contrast between both characters, Andrew and Lea and how they dealt with their issues and circumstances. Right at the end of the book, I went straight to the sequel because I couldn't get enough of it!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Bolt From The Blue (Oblivion on Tour, #2)
  • Chasing Each Other (Chasing, #2)
  • Heart Breaker (Break on Through, #2)
  • Redemption (Nashville Nights, #3)
  • Crashing Prom
  • Miami Hush Club: Episode 2 (Miami Hush Club, #2)
  • Safe Love: A Love Brothers Companion Novella (Love Brothers, #1.5)
  • Sky High (Attraction #3)
  • Dark Universe (The Universe Series #2)
  • Lance (Roughneck Shorts 3)
  • A Vixen in Venice
  • Circling Back
  • Finding Sadie: A Prequel (Los Rancheros, #3)
  • If I Seem Dangerous
  • Brave
  • Her Perfect Game (Hot & Nerdy, #2)
  • The Edge of You
  • Before He Was A Secret (Starstruck #3)
Melly has been writing stories for as long as she can remember, but not until 2011 did she publish her works. She writes children’s books under the name mellyberry, and novels under e. mellyberry. She used to work in school and is very passionate about education.

Melly was born in Indonesia and grew up in a multi-language environment. When she talked, she could accidentally string words from differ

A Broken Love Story (2 books)
  • I Won't Break (A Broken Love Story, #2)
“I'm scared," she said.
"Of me?" His voice was full of sorrow.
"Of everything.”