Start by marking “Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)” as Want to Read:
Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)

Willowleaf Lane

(Hope's Crossing #5)

Sometimes going back is the best way to start over

Published June 25th 2013 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Willowleaf Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willowleaf Lane

Start your review of Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is my third by the author and I have to say I'm impressed. This was a great deal of fun and I enjoyed it immensely. This despite picking it up in the middle of a series (which I hate doing). And yes, there were lots of characters I could tell were from different books, though Thayne at least took the effort to draw them complete enough for me not to feel too left out about it.

I have to say that Spencer Gregory was an incredibly engaging leading man. He's had a rough couple of years but
Cathy
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this largely because I identified with Charlotte so much. She's a sympathetic, kind and easy-to-love character and as someone who also lost 40+ pounds over the course of a year about 10 years ago, I saw a lot of myself in her. Seriously, a lot.

Her attitude towards food and exercise and how she changed her way of life wanting to be healthier resonated with me. Plus, she was shy and awkward as a teenager and experience bullying. She = me, pretty much.

However, I thought she was a little
Ronna
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book five of the Hope's Crossing series is like a long awaited letter about a group of dear friends. This time around we're learning more about Charlotte Caine. Life as a teen-ager who had just lost her mother was very difficult, so she ate away her pain. Unfortunately, life as an obese teen was even harder. As she helped the town's "super jock", Spencer Gregory, with his homework, she fell for him in a big way, but he just saw a good friend.

Now Spencer has returned to Hope's Crossing from a
Susan
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good small town reunion story. Charlotte is a lifelong resident of Hope's Crossing. She lost her mother at a young age and used food as comfort, leading her to become very overweight. Her high school years were miserable because of it, the only bright side being her crush on Spencer Gregory, the high school baseball star. Recently, she has taken control of her life, lost a lot of weight, and feels much better about herself. Then Spencer returns to town, throwing her life back into turmoil.

Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Review originally published at The Bookwyrm's Hoard.

Willowleaf Lane is the first book I've read in this series, which is set in the fictional Colorado town of Hope's Crossing. It's a warm, feel-good romance with several "issue" subplots. Hope's Crossing reminds me a little of both Creede and Ouray, Colorado: a small, charming resort town.

I admire Charlotte's determination; she was apparently heavily overweight several years before the novel begins, and has been steadily working on her weight and
Terri Wino
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2015
So far this was my least favorite entry in this series. I liked the premise of the story and the characters for the most part. The one drawback for me was constantly being reminded about and Charlotte always thinking about the fact that she used to be overweight. The way every single thought or action of Charlotte's seemed to dwell on this made her seem so much less the strong, confident woman she should have been having changed her lifestyle and accomplished so much. I totally get the feeling ...more
Dorine
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also posted at my personal blog, TBR MOUNTAIN RANGE.

In the fifth book of the HOPE'S CROSSING series, the reader meets two imperfect people who are perfect for one another. The trouble is that neither of them realizes it until it's almost too late. Small town fiction at its best, this is a series you'll adore for its ability to expose human frailties and then mend with love.

Candy store owner Charlotte "Charley" Caine has always been overweight but her recent lifestyle changes have resulted in a
Rhonda
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 STARS

I just love the covers of Hope's Crossing books. It is surprising how much a cover makes me want to pick up the book even when it is a ebook.
Hope's Crossing is such a nice community coming together and helping each other when they can. I like the idea that Charlotte as she is running past houses she is thinking do they need help or what can I do for them. Great attitude.

The plot is that Spencer has come back to run the new community rec center after his professional baseball career is
Jeananna
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
full review to come but once again RT hit it out of the park!! (pun fully intended!)

Sometimes going back is the best way to start over
Candy shop owner Charlotte Caine knows temptation. To reboot her life, shed weight and gain perspective, she's passing up sweet enticements left and right. But willpower doesn't come so easily when hell-raiser Spencer Gregory comes back to Hope's Crossing, bringing with him memories of broken promises and teen angst. A retired pro baseball player on the mend from
Casey Dawes
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second RaeAnn Thayne book I've read, and I really enjoyed it. Charlotte, the heroine, has conquered her over-eating problem, but retained her caring, compassionate nature. Some may think she's too sweet, but I like her just fine. I also had a sense that RaeAnne had a good understanding of eating issues and that added a sense of realism to the book.

Spencer could have been a difficult character to like. Too full of himself in high school and as a professional ball player, he'd done
Aileen De Los Santos
I'm only halfway into this book, and at the beginning it had absolute potential. However, as I read further, I got annoyed. In every single book so far, a main character will say how Hope's Crossing has the best, most welcoming people, but then the MC will say or do something that's absolutely not welcoming. They are almost always judgemental of the people they come across. Some of them have redeeming qualities, but overall it's tiresome that all the characters basically have the same ...more
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥

My Thoughts:
Sometimes going back is the best way to start over... Are you willing to chance getting your heart broken again? Charlotte is about to find out...

Another wonderful addition to the Hope's Crossing series. I couldn't wait to hear what was going on in this community. This series from the start captured my heart and I instantly knew that I would enjoy Ms Thayne's storytelling. I can honestly say that the main character was an inspiration to me and I can guess probably to a lot of young
Hsiau Wei
This book start with Charlotte met with Spencer, who have returned to run the new community recreation centre after his glamorous downfall from his career in professional baseball. Charlotte has a huge crush on him since her teenage. She was a huge person (I m so not going to use the word fat) and she lost 80 pounds in the past two years. She owns a candy store and make her own fudge. She get to know Spence’s daughter, Peyton who make known to her that she doesn’t like living in Hope’s Crossing ...more
Lila Hunter
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: format-english
I like the story and the characters, but had trouble with the lack of an ending build up and an epilogue. The books felts as if some chapters were missing.
-------------------------------------------

My view

The book starts with the interaction between Charlotte and Spencer daughter (before she knew who the girl was). I enjoyed the way they interact together and how she identified with the girls issues when learning so little about her.

Just as Charlotte, if I had a second chance with a childhood
Dalene
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I absolutely loved this book. I requested it from Netgalley after being familiar with the author’s name, but having checked my Goodreads list, I haven’t read anything before. However, I am so glad I found this author.

This is book five in the series. I did not feel as I was missing any prior information so definitely feel it could be read as a stand alone.

I enjoyed the writing of the author. The setting and location were a very enjoyable small town. This book seemed very similar to the writing
Michelle
Sweet. Reminds me of Debra Macomber's Cedar Cove series, or Jill Shalvis' books set in that coastal town. Makes you want to move there so your life can be sorted out, too. Nice romance, almost no sex. I might read another one.
Lady Heather
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance
I'll post a review closer to the release date.

arc provided by Netgalley for an honest review
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this book was SO GOOD! I've been reading the Hope's Crossing series in order the last couple weeks and I've loved each one, given 5 stars to each one except the 3rd one that got 4 stars, but I wish that I could give this book 6 stars! Books 1-4 felt like they were all one extended story and while this book still has all the same characters, Charlotte was a very secondary character in the first four books, I don't even think she was in the very first one, and Spence is a brand new character. ...more
Kay Dee
soooo i read Sugar Pine Trail and thought it was cute and wanted to read the start of the series. turns out the Caine's started in the hope's crossing series and not the haven point series.

ok the entire hope's crossing series was like a hallmark movie with a lil nicholas sparks thrown in. cuz in hallmark there is not as much bad stuff going like folks dying and whatnot, nick sparks likes death or dismemberment or some awful tragedy.
i enjoyed the hope's crossing series for that hallmark feel.
Tina Wyatt
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Caine is a local candy store owner in Hope's Crossing . She is the youngest of seven children and the only girl. Her mother passed away several years ago and when she did Charlotte drowned her sorrow away by over eating. So she struggled for years with her weight. Her brother Dylan was injured during the war and that gave her the wakeup call that she needed. She started taking better care of herself and lost all the excess weight. She added excise and healthily eating to her life. She ...more
Liz
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was hard for me because I REALLY liked parts of this and then absolutely hated the rest.

Based on description alone, I was wary of this one, but after seeing Charlotte in other books, I didn't want to just bypass it entirely, though that probably would have been for the best.

The problem with Charlotte's weight loss was that it informed her every thought and motivation. For most of the book it came across as "being fat is the end of the world!!!!" instead of being rooted in a disorder, as
Deborah
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very romantic. I almost gave this book five stars but it got a little maudlin at the end. Two weight issues were addressed. Charlotte decided to lose weight after her brother returned from service severely injured. Though she'd found peace or acceptance of her 300 lbs frame, she felt the weight reduction would improve her quality of life. The second issue dealt with the teen, Peyton purging her food. Of course she had to pass out before the adults in her life recognized the problem and provided ...more
Becky Tatar
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Caine has turned her life around, after being morbidly obese. Her brother, Dylan, came home from Afghanistan seriously wounded, and it gave Charlotte a wake up call about her health. Now almost down to her goal, eating right and exercising, she's ready for more. However, Spencer Gregory is back in town with a lot of baggage. A former ace pitcher, he's been brought down by charges of supplying drugs to players, and being a suspect in his wife's death. On top of that, his daughter, ...more
June
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hope's Crossing fans
Maybe more of a 3.5, but I enjoy that a romance tried to take on eating disorders and weight issues.

Charlotte has successfully taken on her weight issues, but is she handed more than she can handle when her high school crush returns to town. Spencer baseball career has gone up in flames, he is now trying to connect with his teen daughter after his wife's death and has taken the only job offered at Hope's Crossing.
Terry
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another of the Hope's Crossing series. Very good read. Charlotte Caine had been overweight most of her life and managed to lose the weight. Spencer Gregory comes back to manage the r3creation center, al9ng with his pre-teen daughter who is also terribly anorexic. With each other's help they all work through all of the baggage they are carrying. I really like this series. All of the books deal with real life, believable issues.
Fran
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willowleaf Lane: RaeAnne Thayne

Forgiveness, wrongly accused or just plain a victim of circumstances many people find themselves ostracized by past mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are of no fault of their own while others will come back and haunt you. When Peyton Gregory enters Sugar Rush and makes small talk with Charlotte little do either of them realize that the past is about to resurface in the present and old feelings are about to come to forefront. Spencer and Charlotte were never really
April
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Charlotte Caine loves Hope’s Crossing. After years of being overweight she has spent the last 18 months losing weight and getting fit.
Spencer Gregory was Charlotte’s teenage love. He has returned to town after a big baseball career and an even bigger fall from Grace with his daughter Peyton.
Despite troubled interactions, he finally falls for her and she tries to not love him. Love conquers the problems in the end.
Niki
This is the second series I have read by RaeAnne Thayne and I really enjoyed it. I love when you read a series and each book is about a different person in the same town. This series is set up that way so buy the end you feel like you know everyone. I also love how they are romances but are very clean so anybody could read them.
Janet
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finally realized what it is about these books. She does deal with very tough, real and painful issues but somehow still manages sweet stories. None of the angsty stuff I am not interested in.

This one tackled eating disorders, War Vets and drug abuse. Sounds depressing and yet it may have been the sweetest one yet.
Captmashpea
It was good but it wasn't my favorite by her. It honestly made me want to reread Dylan and Genevieve story which I totally did before finishing this one hahaha I love that story. The story was good she just has better ones.
(ebook with kindle dictation)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mansfield Public ...: The"Willow Leaf Lane" review by Sharon wapen 1 2 Jul 21, 2014 09:14AM

• Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Merry Ex-Mas (Life in Icicle Falls, #2)
  • The Sweethearts' Knitting Club
  • A Little Bit Country / Blackberry Summer
  • Swan Point (The Sweet Magnolias #11)
  • The Summer Retreat (Moonlight Harbor, #3)
  • Wind Chime Point (Ocean Breeze, #2)
  • Summer on Mirror Lake (Honeymoon Harbor)
  • Almost Summer (Fool's Gold, #6.2)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • Edge of Forever
  • Handsome Lawman (Handsome Devils #3)
  • Handsome Cowboy (Handsome Devils Book 4)
  • Sand Castle Bay (Ocean Breeze, #1)
  • Sister of the Bride (Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • That Summer Night (Callaways, #6)
  • Do You Take This Rebel? (The Calamity Janes, #1)
I'm not one of those people who knew from birth she was destined to become a writer. I always loved to read and throughout my childhood I could usually be found with a book in my hands. To the disgust of my friends, I even enjoyed creative writing assignments that made them all groan. But I had other dreams besides writing. I wanted to be an actress or a teacher or a lawyer.

Life took a different

Hope's Crossing (7 books)
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing, #1)
  • Woodrose Mountain (Hope's Crossing,#2)
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
  • Currant Creek Valley (Hope's Crossing, #4)
  • Christmas in Snowflake Canyon (Hope's Crossing, #6)
  • Wild Iris Ridge (Hope's Crossing, #7)
“We all have some spark of creativity inside us. You just haven’t found what lights yours yet.” 0 likes
“Once, she had ridden her bicycle into a fence just because he had happened to drive past and wave at her.” 0 likes