Start by marking “From the Belly of the Cat” as Want to Read:
From the Belly of the Cat

From the Belly of the Cat

Writers and cats have long enjoyed a special affinity, unsurprisingly since both spend much time sitting around and judging people. Discover the Lion City through the eyes of its cats and their humans in From the Belly of the Cat, an anthology of fifteen feline tales by some of the city-state’s most exciting writers and notorious cat sympathisers.

For best results, read thi
Published November 2013 by Math Paper Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Belly of the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Belly of the Cat

Ruth
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was in Cats Socrates in Bras Basah, and I couldn't leave without this book. A locally-produced anthology of 15 cat stories, "From the Belly of the Cat" is a delightful read for the Singaporean cat-lover.

My favourite short stories were "Maruchan" by Wena Poon, "Laundromat" by Amanda Lee Koe, "ROBOTZ ATTACKZ TEH CITEH" by Joshua Ip, "Waiting for William" by Paul Ruta, and "Other People's Cats" by Jon Gresham. I loved them for their brilliantly crafted plots, revealing dialogue and their ability
dini
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Me-wow I loved this collection. Even though the character of one story HURTS HER CAT ON PURPOSE which I was certainly not prepared for, it still made me purr with delight.
Joey
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
some interesting stories, a couple of really dull ones. A comfortable read for a rainy cold day.
but please don't kill cats in a cat anthology, cat lovers read these things you know
Punit
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
As with all the short story collections, I will rate them individually:
The cat auntie of Lengkok Bahru : 3
The fat cat, ate dad's hat : 3

And so the average turns out to be: 46 / 15 = 3
StellaDow
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, heartfelt and bittersweet.
Junhao
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of cat stories although in a small number of them, cats play too much of a peripheral role. 'Robotz Attackz Teh Citeh' by Joshua Ip is the stand-out pick; I couldn't fully suppress my laughter at the Starbucks where I was reading.
Lauti Sutedja
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Anthology of short stories related to cat, with Singapore as the background. Good book for a cat lover.
Rachel
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag of delights - some were revealing stories that talked touched a lot on obsession and loneliness, others were just a plain ode to the wonder that is cats. Although, I must say that the gore/minor violence in some of the stories isn't for everyone, especially for cat lovers who wouldn't lay a finger on a cat.

My favourites, however for the sake of this review were:
Maruchan by Wena Poon, Laundromat by Amanda Lee Koe, The God of Cats by Dave Chua, Cat Sickness by Sabrina Huang,
Peggy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers
I came across this book at the Singapore Art Book Fair at the BooksActually booth. I was struggling between getting this book, "I will survive" or both (which wasn't that feasible due to budget issues), but I didn't regret reading it. The short stories were a mix of genres between the gore and the imaginative, and they were really written really well and for most parts, captured pretty much the relationship between human owners and cats, and also life in the perspective of the cat. Haven't enjoy ...more
Ty
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book 2 years ago after spending 1 year studying in Singapore. I wanted to complete my circle of Singapore experience and what would be a better way than reading a local literature. Though 2 years has passed since I read this book. I still remember how it made me feel-depressed. The stories main focus is on the loneliness and indifferent of Singaporean which is told through cat related stories. The problem with this book is that such is the only focus and it was emphasized too much th ...more
Angelin
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the Belly of the Cat contains stories relating to, with mention of, and about cats that may make you cringe in disgust, crave the comfort of a cat winding between your legs or let you step into the shoes (or paws) of cats and have a glimpse of how they think. It is indeed a wonderful collection of cat stories that will keep you entertained from beginning to the end.
Juliana
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesome collection of short stories chock-full of cats.
clumped
Feb 22, 2018
JD
May 22, 2014
Joshua Ip
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hanrong Tham
Jessica Chua
Jun 18, 2018
Hubert Han
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable overall, but as with most anthologies of short stories there exist a couple of mystifying inclusions.
Book A Writer
Apr 27, 2018
weallhaveknives
rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephanie Ye is a writer from Singapore, based in London. Her work has been staged as a dance performance in New York City, translated into German for an art exhibition in Berlin, and used as an O-level examination text in Singapore. Her short story chapbook, The Billion Shop, was published in 2012, and she edited the fiction anthology From The Belly Of The Cat in 2013. A graduate of the MA in Cre ...more