Start by marking “Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Short Stories

Short Stories

Thriller novelist, Thomas Ryan, is also a prolific writer of short stories.
Ryan’s short storys span the spectrum of human emotions, from the creepy ‘Nightmares’, to the fun and humour of ‘The World’s Biggest Bun’. Ryan believes all good short stories should have unexpected twists and turns. Applying his thriller techniques he manages to achieve this end. Readers will find
Published August 10th 2013 by Far and Wide publishing

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories

Christine
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Jan 5
I would like to thank Net Galley, Far and Wide Publishing, and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

I have just within the last few months become interested in checking out short stories. I am so glad I decided to do this, as New Zealander Thomas Ryan’s first collection, simply called Short Stories, is wonderful!

This book contains 7 terrific short stories. All are very different in content, though most tend to lean towards the dark side. Every one of them is com
Jan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think one of the reasons I like short story collections so much is because you never know what your going to get. So many little surprises all mixed into one book...some great, some forgettable.

Short Stories by Thomas Ryan is a collection of 7 tales that delve into the darker side of human nature and the masks that people hide behind.
I found each story to be wonderfully told with flawed characters and fulfilling endings...each story more delightful than the last.
My favorite was 'Nightmares', w
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is a small volume of mostly very short stories (7 stories in 92 pages) that I rate 3.5 stars.

My favourite story was the Dementia Man in which a woman Police Officer is commended for her diligence. I won't say any more than that except that it has a twist in it I never saw coming. My only recommendation is that the last line be cut as it is overkill.

Other stories are "Ruth" in which the Judge and the defendant have a lot in common (also a very good story); "The World's Biggest Bun" where a m
Donna Maguire
I was looking forward to reading this book, I really enjoy short stories and find them a brilliant way to pass a few hours. This book had some good ones and it was a pleasant read that covered a few tough subjects too. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kim
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to download this book. Each story was well written and each ended in the most logically bizarre ending. Looking for a happy, bucolic ending, not here. I would certainly look to this author for future reading.
Graham Downs
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm beginning to feel like a stuck record....

So, I loved all these stories. They were all very well plotted, and I was surprised by the twists in each and every one of them.

My favourite simply had to be "Ruth", but I also particularly enjoyed "The Affair", as well as the one about the man with dementia.

But really... editing! Editing, editing, editing!

"Ruth" (the first story in this collection) was the most polished of the lot. Unsurprising, since that particular story was also published in an a
Susanne Leist
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I decided to try something new: reading short stories. This book has taken me by surprise. The endings have twists and surprises. The writing is witty. For example, Ruth, the first story, reads like the usual abuse case in court. However, the end is unexpected. Everyone should read this story. You never know who can be the abuser.
As I read The Artist, I could not figure out where the tale was going. Jealous lover or something else. It was something else.
I believe my favorite is The Affair. Every
Ankica
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting short stories book. Every single story has an unexpected ending. The autor's imagination is really huge. :) These endings were so exciting for me that I rushed with reading, only to see what will happen in the end. Which took a bit of joy out of it. I wish the stories were a little bit longer, just a little bit more. Still, I would love to see some thrillers (movies) made by this autor. I am sure it would be something crazy and new. :)
Natasha Banton
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall I thought that these short stories were quite good. All of the stories made me think that all of them should be a novel. They were all great reads. I would love to read these short stories again someday. Each and every one of them made me want to read them again.
Joanna Maltby
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprising twists

Entertaining and fun with a nice variety of styles. Some of the twists were unexpected and quirky. Worth a read.
Alan Hardy
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hard-hitting stories, with an observant eye cast over human nature and character. The stories work both as authentic reflections and descriptions of human emotions, frailties and vices, and also as cleverly constructed tales with unexpected twists and turns to keep the reader's attention. The stories are eclectic and gripping: serial premonitions of murder; people locked in sterile or violent marriages; others locked in spirals of violence, murder and deprivation; generally a picture of drab, br ...more
Terry Reid
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short Stories by Thomas Ryan delivers five tales, each very different from the last. It straddles genres from crime and drama to a touch of the paranormal.

My favourite of the lot personally was Nightmares. It was a simple plot about premonitions and murder but had a great twist at the end, like the others that you will not expect coming.

This is a great weekend read if you're after something quick to flick through or if you are not a heavy reader. It certainly has something for everything.
Ju Ephraime
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Ryan’s collection of short stories is like no collection of stories I’ve ever read. The stores span the gamut of human emotions, all presented in a parody of the situation presented by the author, from Ruth, to The Artist and The Dementia Man, just to name a few, Ryan snares the reader and drags him/her into the many twists and turns of his thrilling adventures in a cauldron of flawed human behaviors. This is a collection of stories not to be missed—a masterpiece. BRAVO!
William O'Brien
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sensational 5*****

Short Stories: Includes 'Ruth' and 'Nightmares'
Thomas Ryan

A magnificent collection of short stories has been created from Ryan.

The Dementia Man was one of my favorites but they were all very well written and entertaining.

The author has a gift - a great way of connecting with his audience and taking the reader to a new place.

Sensational 5*****
Trina
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

I really enjoyed reading these seven short stories. I loved the twists at the end of each story. Well written and not a dud in the bunch. I will be keeping a look out for other books by Mr Ryan.

Reviews Published
D.K. Cassidy
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories was well developed, keeping me interested and ultimately surprised. The author has a way of drawing you into the world of the characters. My favorite story was the intriguingly titled “Mending Kittens”. I won’t tell you anything about the story; you need to discover this gem for yourself.
Bronwyn
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A selection of short stories by someone who understands the genre and, I suspect, had a wicked sense of fun writing them.
Jacqui
Mar 26, 2015
Mark Lees
Apr 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thomas Ryan has been a soldier in a theatre of war, traded in Eastern Europe, trampled the jungles of Asia, and struggled through the trials of love and loss; ideal life experiences for a would be author. Schooled by professionals, who have helped him hone his literary skills, Ryan is quickly establishing himself as a skilled writer of thriller novels and short stories. He considers himself foremo ...more