Start by marking “Never To Live” as Want to Read:
Never To Live

Never To Live

Imprisoned, Elwyn endures torture so horrific she drives herself insane to elude true madness.

She finally escapes, but at the deadly cost of the only remaining friend she has.

Now, unless her broken mind is playing another cruel trick, she discovers she is turning into the monster she despises most of all.

Amidst fighters and fairies, demons and dragons, traitors wear the
Published November 5th 2013 by Marcher Lord Press (first published November 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Never To Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never To Live

D.M. Dutcher
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians who like darker fantasy than usual
Shelves: christian, fantasy
Elwyn is a tortured half-elf who manages to free herself from prison. Unfortunately both it and the events of her past have combined to make the girl a near-insane emotional wreck. When she falls in with the Elven survivors of an ambush, she starts a journey that will either lead to her healing and the salvation of a land oppressed by dragons and dark kings, or her fall and being consumed by what is inside her.

It's far more interesting than you'd think. By twisting normal tropes and having a pi
Megan Peet
Edit ---------------------

So this book has recently been re-released with a second edition that includes a lot of editing, which makes me quite tempted to give it another go, because it sounds like that would address a lot of the issues/challenges I had when reading the book originally. So I think at some point I will read this again, except in the new edition, and see if my feelings about it are less conflicted then! (Although I do feel slightly put off because I already own a copy of the first
Just Jordan
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
AUTHOR REVIEW.

Never To Live is an epic dark fantasy that revolves around insanity and madness. Some people are surprised to find that when I say the MC is half-insane, I truly mean that she is half-insane. As one reviewer commented, "This is not a vanilla fantasy". It is set in a deep world that has a lot going on. The scope of the story won't be everyone's cup of tea. Some will dislike it, others will love it.

There are many characters and separate stories taking place. They may seem unrelated a
Just Jordan
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
AUTHOR REVIEW :)

This is the Second Edition of Never To Live! It is still the same story, but a lot has changed. If you want the full run down, check out the post: https://justbjordan.com/2018/09/never...

But basically the book was shortened up, cleaned up, and has a new first chapter and some other interior changes. The changes and new cover were made in anticipation of book #2, To Ashes We Run, coming out soon.

Never To Live is a story of monsters and madness, the seen and the unseen. It is a hi
Micah Sundholm
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who want a richly colored and imagined fantasy world.
First off, you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy this book. Despite it's Christian allegory. It can be read and fully enjoyed either way.

This book is a very fresh read in the fantasy genre; definitely not a rehash of stories, characters, and even races that have been done a dozen times before.

Now, you need to give this book a bit to get rolling, mainly because it doesn't warm you to the water. You're just dropped right in and left to adapt. Once you get over that, prepare to be pulled into a
Victoria Howell
The worldbuilding was interesting, but I have mixed feelings about this book. ^ ^'
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I started this book initially thinking I could pick it up and read for a few minutes for pleasure, then come back to it a week later when I had a few minutes again, and so on. After several attempts at doing this during the busy holiday season and having to go back and refresh my memory about characters, I realized I needed to sit down for at last a couple of hours or I would never be able to keep everything straight in my mind. There is a lot going on in the first few chapters t ...more
Gretchen
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure where to start except Never to Live is a complex story. The twists and turns are gripping. Elwyn the heroine is insane, and she can travel in time so this isn't a point A to point B story.
Mythical creatures from elves and dryads to dragons are completely reimagined.
While the guilt-ridden Elwyn is the main protagonist, there's a strong supporting cast. Think Frodo and the other main characters in the Fellowship of the Ring series.
Characters are key with me and Elwyn is complex and ea
Christopher Aldrich
Great book. The pacing was fast. The story was unique and incredible. I found I really liked the characters and the world and felt immersed in it. Some of the editing was a little rough. I think a few transtions could have been smoother. And I did felt cheated about two things in the end of the story (won't spoil those). I also think some "terms" in the world could have been better explained through teaching moments or flashback rather than leaving the reader to figure it out. But overall, I thi ...more
Linda Todd
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Linda by: a gift
Well I most say WAW to this book and I loved this story this is my kind of book and I enjoyed every minute of it the characters where well thought out and story lines to where exceptional and every bit in line with the characters they were given to all in all wonderful story one to be very proud of and my sincerest thanks to the author Just B. Jordan for the privilege of reading and reviewing this work of art and this book I would definitely recommend this book to all my friends and then some mo ...more
R.M. Lutz
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
It's difficult to sum this book up in a few sentences. It has some of the most powerful allegorical elements I've ever read, especially in regard to the internal struggle with sin. Yet, it took me several hundred pages to like the story and the characters.

Recommended to readers interested in very dark Christian fantasy that deals with the issue of sin in a realistic manner. The story deals with insanity and torture, so I would recommend only to mature teens and up.

(Looking for longer reviews of
Jill
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book about battling personal demons. it took a while to get started, but all in all it was a good read.
Ethan
Feb 17, 2019
Linda Lightner
Dec 08, 2013
Raven_23
rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2014
Anna
Mar 18, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Accidentally made several book files 6 174 Nov 12, 2013 04:59PM

• The Puppet Spell
  • Thieves at Heart (The Valley of Ten Crescents, #1)
  • To Dance in Liradon
  • Djinn (Djinn, #1)
  • The Warlock (Waterspell, #1)
  • Forthright and Clement (The Un-Named Chronicles #1)
  • The Knife's Edge (The Ronin Saga, #1)
  • The Dragon's Tear
  • Midnight Abyss: A Collection of Darklings
  • The Phoenix Embryo (Seasons of the Phoenix #1)
  • Bound
  • Hall of Heroes (Fellowship of Fantasy, #2)
  • Secrets Kept
  • Out of Darkness Rising
  • Behind the Facade
  • Eden's Root (Eden's Root Trilogy, #1)
  • Exiles (Realms of the Infinite, #1)
  • Scarlett Essence (The Daemon Chronicles, #1)
Just B. Jordan was born to live a thousand lives, but she’s only mortal, so she took to telling herself stories. One day she decided to give those worlds flesh and bone through paper and ink.

Her first novel was originally published by Marcher Lord Press (now Enclave Publishing), and she has had several short stories published in magazines including Havok, Spark, and Splickety. For a behind the sce
“People won't change until the pain of not changing is greater than the pain changing brings.” 1 likes
“I don't have to stand and walk, I only have to open my eyes.” 1 likes