Start by marking “Hurricane Crimes (Disaster Crimes #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Hurricane Crimes (Disaster Crimes #0.5)

Hurricane Crimes

(Disaster Crimes #0.5)

***Hurricane Crimes (Disaster Crimes #1)***

*Hurricane Crimes is a novella under 50 pages.*

After her car breaks down, Beth Kennedy is forced to stay in Florida, the target of Hurricane Sabrina. She stocks up supplies, boards up windows, and hunkers down to wait out the storm, but her plan unravels when she witnesses a car accident. Risking her life, she braves the winds to
Published November 25th 2013 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Crimes

Start your review of Hurricane Crimes (Disaster Crimes #0.5)
Sherry Fundin
I live in Florida, so anything to do with a hurricane interests me. I have been through more than one hurricane, but unlike Beth in Hurricane Crimes, I have not been through a Category 5 hurricane like Sabrina. As if the storm isn’t enough, there is a murderer on the loose.

The evacuation order had been given, but Beth had nowhere to go and no way to get there, so she stocked up on necessities and hunkered down to weather it out.

As she watched the storm out her window, she saw the car slam into t
Chrys Fey
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I started writing Hurricane Crimes on Christmas morning 2011. I had just finished reading a book set during a blizzard and pondered the fact that I had never been in a snow storm because I live in Florida, so the idea to write a story that really focuses on a hurricane immediately became my goal. Although I wanted Hurricane Crimes to be a romance, I didn't want it to be a typical romance. Thus, I created Donovan, a sexy and passionate man who may be a murderer.

For more insight on Hurricane Crime
KathyAnne
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A short story of around 50 pages, not a bad choice if your looking for something to fill up an hour or so of reading time. Edgy and suspenseful with an interesting scenerio of a woman finding herself trapped in her home with a potential murder suspect. This definitely had the insta-love thing going on... and a most interesting love scene while hunkering down in a bathtub during the scariest part of the hurricane... hmmmmmmm... Adrenaline rush??? :) The things people do when their life hangs in t ...more
T.B. Markinson
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Right from the opening line, “Beth was going to die” I was hooked. This is a short read, yet the author was able to weave together a taut thriller. Beth is a great character that readers want to cheer for. She’s smart, beautiful, and tough. Donovan is mysterious. The connection between the two is deliciously hot. And the setting added much to the suspense. I’ve never lived through a Hurricane, but I feel like I have now after reading. A quick, fun, and suspenseful read.
Brian's Book Blog
A Romance Short Story With Some Suspense Added

Hurricane Crimes tells the story of an unlikely pair who meets under incredible circumstances. Beth is forced to ride out Hurricane Sabrina at her home in Florida. While riding out the storm she happens to find a man knocked out in his car near her house. She saves him, brings him inside and finds out that there may be more to him than meets the eye.

First and foremost – this is right on the cusp of being a book that I wouldn’t normally read and revie
BookLoversLife
Not sure of my rating yet, it's hovering between a one star and a two star. I'll have to think on it a bit. ...more
Judy Davis
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
CAPTIVATING SUSPENSEFUL READ...
For readers who love short stories, Chrys Fey’s “Hurricane Crimes” is a fast-paced, suspenseful read about two people caught in a Florida hurricane. Because most short stories don’t head hop, we are in Beth’s point of view which is perfect because it not only sets us up to ride out a well-described, but scary storm, but also gives us even more angst trying to determine whether Donovan Goldwyn is a murderer and whether will he will harm Beth.

Chrys Fey has the abilit
Katerina
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars!
For a 50 pages read, this story packs a punch!
It was not the first time that I read about two strangers getting together under the worst weather conditions, but the depiction of the hurricane here was amazing.
Snuggled deep in my duvet, I was so thankful that it was Beth who had to leave the house and not me. But it was her who met Donovan out there. Donovan with his lavender eyes...*sigh*
If I had known that it was him who needed to be saved, I would have braved the elements, too!

Stati
Susan Swiderski
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm duly impressed. The author managed to squeeze more than enough action and story into fifty short pages. Her descriptions of the hurricane and its aftermath are particularly good, and her characters are both likable and surprisingly well-developed.

Oh, and those characters? They, uh, like each other ... a LOT.

Yes, in spite of the inherent danger... or maybe because of it... two complete strangers find themselves irresistibly attracted to each other when they're thrown together during a furio
Bradley Poage
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hurricane Crimes is one of those books that keeps you at the edge of your seat the entire way through. I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and while reading this work I was always questioning if this man, named Donovan, was really a killer or just a man caught in the right place at the wrong time.

One of the best qualities about this work is the character development and the suspense. This author does a great job of capturing the reader in the very beginning as well. From the first page I was hooke
Tessa
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't realize this was a short story, which seems to happen to me a lot lately. This was an okay story, I didn't really connect with either of the main characters and everything was a bit farfetched but it was a good time-killer. ...more
Romance4thebeach
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was completely shocked at how much story the author was able to pack in here in just under 50 pages. Overall it was an absolute perfect blend of romance, suspense, and mother nature trying to knock down the front door. It’s not just a story of two strangers waiting out a storm together. We have the added drama of Donovan being framed for his brother’s murder, and it becomes a fascinating tale of trust. Beth has no reason to believe this stranger when he declares his innocence, but when she see ...more
Empi Baryeh
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a novella that introduces us to Beth Kennedy and Donovan Goldwyn who meet during a Hurricaine. She's stuck in her home because her car broke down and he wraps his car around a tree in front of her house while running from the cops.

This is a very short story that spans a period of twenty-four to forty-eight hours (and less than 50 pages). A lot is packed into that time as Beth and Donovan try to weather the storm as well as the tension when Beth finds out Donovan is a murder suspect. Ther
Scherry  at The Novel Lady
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am sitting here, taking another sip of my wine and staring at my computer, trying to figure out how Chrys Fey packed so much adventure, suspense and romance into so few pages! I am generally not a fan of short stories. There is usually just not enough time to develop the characters and pull the reader into the story. But Chrys Fey not only managed to blend it all together in a whirlwind (or hurricane), she delivered it as one fascinating read!

If you are looking for a quick read of only around
Dayreader Reviews
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hurricane Crimes is a short story about a woman who finds herself trapped in her home during a nasty storm. While hunkering down she noticed a car that crashed into a tree just outside her home. Braving the storm she save the man in the car, but learns he is wanted for murder. Now stuck in the house with an assumed murder she is faced with questioning whether she should believe his innocence while being attracted to him. I will stop here since I do not want to give the story away.

I will say tha
Cheri
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beth should have evacuated sooner when all her neighbors left. Surely one of them would have let her leave with them since her car wouldn't start. Now she's stuck and sees a car crash into a tree. Bringing the man inside is life-threatening. She got him inside and tended his wounds--then she saw his picture on TV and it wasn't about the accident.

I enjoyed the narration, the tension-filled storyline, and the characters. It would have been a 5 star all the way around if the insta-love had been mor
Reggie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Would you risk your life during a hurricane to safe another? That's what Beth does when she witnesses a car crash in front of her house. Beth assists the injured driver out of the car and into her house. Only, once inside and before the power goes out, Beth sees a news piece about an murderer on the run from police...and of course the photo is of her injured guy! This is a fast moving novella that includes bad cops, murder and the devastating aftermath of a hurricane...also a bit of romance. A l ...more
Leanne Davis
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read where a hurricane bears down on Florida and Beth Kennedy doesn't evacuate in time. She witnesses a car running into a tree in middle of the storm and goes out to save the driver who is unconscious. Getting Donnovan into her house, she treats him and then hears on the news he is wanted for murder. The story developes over about a day with Beth believing Donnovan is innocent, despite several clues to the opposite. By the end of the day they were in love and Donnovan's name cleared. ...more
Lori Ann Gerlisky
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who lived through Hurricane Sandy, This story peaked my interest.

There were surprising twists that I hadn’t expected throughout the story. The author was able to bring shocking revelations at the perfect moment. Characters were easy to follow.

I truly enjoyed how the author gave Hurricane Sandy a physical sense of being. As if the hurricane were an actual person grasping at the coastline and tearing it away. Very well written.
Victoria Lees
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Chrys Fey's Hurricane Crimes is the first book in her Crimes series. I love romance and adventure and Hurricane Crimes has both. Only about 51 pages, I read the e-book, much happens when Hurricane Sabrina hits Florida. Fey’s protagonist, Beth Kennedy, is a strong female character and proves her strength time and again in this story.

Beth lives alone in Florida and has no place to go when evacuations start. So she boards up her home and sits tight as Sabrina rips through Florida. She sits tight, t
Roger
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first read from author Chrys Fey. I was given an Audible copy of Tsunami Crimes & wanted to read the first book in the series before reading the third. Well-written romantic suspense, captivating & intriguing with well-developed characters for a short venue. I’ll be reading more in this series. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
Rosemary Hughes
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A relatively short story, compared to the rest of the series, but dramatic anyway.
Caught in the path of Hurricane, the house disintegrating around you, with a stranger who could be a killer. What would you do?
It definitely wasn't what the heroine did!
Love this Author's work, although this one couple are in the path of too many death endangering events.
Cynthia L. Turner
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donovan and Beth

Florida during hurricane season. This short story packs adventure, action, suspense, intrigue, and romance into a few pages with a decent plot. Donovan and Beth are the lead characters in the story that does have a HEA.
Elaine Gumbs
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I live in Florida and this book captured what it feels like to be in the middle of one of these monsters. The crime is just the bonus.
Jackie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful short read. Beth is stuck in Florida during Hurricane Sabrina. She braves the elements to save a man who could prove to be dangerous. Received a free book.
Jemi Fraser
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a whirlwind of a story!!!
The action jumps right in and never lets up. Beth is tough and resilient. Enjoyed the story and I'm looking forward to more!
Beverly Diehl
There's a lot of goodness in this short story (about 50 pages). The texture and use of Hurricane Sabrina were wonderful; I felt like I was there (and didn't want to be). I really liked Beth, the kick-ass heroine. Donovan, the hero who might be a murderer, is sufficiently pretty to interest both me and Beth.

But... Mostly we're in Beth's head, knowing only what she knows and seeing only what she sees, but pulling back and taking an omniscient view at odd times, like when Beth is in her "peaceful"
Katherine Grey
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before I start the review, I want to point out this is a novella, approximately 50 pages long. I point this out because some readers buy a work and don't realize that it's of short length and then give a terrible review because they didn't realize it was not a full-length novel.

The author did an amazing job of depicting a hurricane. Having never lived through one (thankfully), I would have had no real reference to draw from if the author had glossed over the fury and strength of a hurricane. Tha
Madeline
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Beth was going to die.

This is the first line of this short 51 page book, and I was hooked.

I spent most of my life in Florida, for six months out of every year: the threat of Hurricanes were hovering at the back of my mind.

Thinking back to 2004, Kathy was going to die.....came directly to my mind. It was a bad year for Florida, Hurricane Charley ***made landfall in Florida as a Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale (SSHWS), causing $15.1 billion in damage in the Unite
Donna
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beth Kennedy lives alone and she has no family. Hurricane Sabrina is about to hit Florida and everyone has been advised to evacuate so of course Beth’s car has broken down. That’s ok it’s not like she has any place to go anyway! Beth has stocked up on some supplies and boarded up her windows, she ready to ride out the storm. The area is deserted and quite except for the news until Beth hears a car racing down her street and slam into the tree next door. Beth watches and waits to see if the drive ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Making Connections: 3960. HURRICANE CRIMES by Chrys Fey 3 10 Sep 11, 2015 07:40PM
Writers and Readers : Hurricane Crimes 4 3 Apr 01, 2014 11:48AM

• Shooting by the Sea (A Mollie McGhie Cozy Sailing Mystery Book 5)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Love & Other Lies (The Terrible Romance Series Book 1)
  • Wielder's Storm Trilogy
  • Marly in Pieces
  • Proving Grounds (London Carter, #2)
  • Romance Rekindled: A Far Haven Tale
  • Raining Men and Corpses (Raina Sun Mystery #1)
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men #1)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • The Wonky Donkey
  • Seducing the Billionaire (The Blue Room, #1)
  • Unravelling His Mark (The Protectors #2)
  • Hunter: Desert Hunter / Alien Hunter / Glactic Gladiator Christmas  (Galactic Gladiators)
  • Reviving Love (Black Hollow, #1)
  • Kiss of the Silver Wolf
  • Cyn's Dragon (Fantasy Island #2)

Author of the Disaster Crimes series. She/Her

Chrys Fey blogs at Write with Fey and edits for Dancing Lemur Press. She also runs the Insecure Writer's Support Group Book Club on Goodreads.

Newsletter Sign-Up

Fey realized she wanted to write by watching her mother pursue publication. At the age of twelve, she started her first novel, which flourished into a series she later rewrote at seventeen.

Fey li

Disaster Crimes (5 books)
  • Seismic Crimes (Disaster Crimes #1)
  • Tsunami Crimes (Disaster Crimes #2)
  • Flaming Crimes (Disaster Crimes #3)
  • Frozen Crimes (Disaster Crimes #4)
  • A Fighting Chance (Disaster Crimes #5)