Start by marking “Master of the Opera Act 1: Passionate Overture” as Want to Read:
Master of the Opera Act 1: Passionate Overture

Master of the Opera Act 1: Passionate Overture

(Master of the Opera #1)

In the first tantalizing installment of Jeffe Kennedy's ravishing serial novel Master of the Opera, an innocent young woman is initiated into a sensual world of music, mystery, passion--and one man's private obsession. . .

Fresh out of college, Christine Davis is thrilled to begin a summer internship at the prestigious Sante Fe Opera House. But on her first day, she discove
Published January 2nd 2014 by eKensington (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Opera Act 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of the Opera Act 1

Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This review is for the entire Master of the Opera series which includes the following 6 instalments:
Act 1. Passionate Overture
Act 2. Ghost Aria
Act 3. Phantom Serenade
Act 4. Dark Interlude
Act 5. A Haunting Duet
Act 6. Crescendo

When I started this serialised novel I was expecting a dark and dirty retelling of Phantom of the Opera with added BDSM so I had high hopes and fully expected to love it. Unfortunately that isn't what I got and it turned into a weird and confusing mystical realism that inclu
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
****3.5 "SLIGHTLY CREEPY" STARS****

I liked it. The heroine' s slightly naive but that's nothing knew. .. The phantom's mildly creepy. Yeah, I like him......I have to wait until January 16th for episode 2 :-(

Julie
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Master of the Opera Act 1: Passionate Overture by Jeffe Kennedy is a e-Kensington publication slated for an early January 2014 release. I was provided a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Christy has excited accepted an apprentice position in an Opera Theatre House owned by her father. Her childhood friend Roman also works at the theatre, his father being invested in the Opera House as well. Christy had had a massive crush on Roman as teenager and
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley for an honest review.

I'm sorry. I just couldn't get through it. It wasn't interesting. I know nothing about any of these characters. I don't even care about any of these characters. I hate giving bad reviews, but in this case I have to. There is no way I can read the rest of the series. I fear it would be a waste of my time.
Future Slayer Girl
So, the first installment of the Master of the Opera Serial series didn't disappointment. I am a fan of Jeffe Kennedy since I read Five Golden Rings. I thought her attention to detail and easy, yet detailed way of writing BDSM was something to be admired. How she took a very independent and strong minded female, that could own her sexuality in the bedroom, was very telling on the smart, clever writer that she is.

This first installment didn't lack any details. The easy flow and voice of Kennedy
Alisha Tarran
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Christine Davis is the new apprentice at the Sante Fe Opera House, after the last one mysteriously went missing. Reunited with childhood friend Roman, her father's business partner's son, and going out on dates with him, it's almost enough for her to forget how creepy the Opera House is. Relegated to doing inventory work in the extremely creepy lower levels, she finally meets the mysterious "Opera ghost". Christine has an intense dream about the Ghost, and starts to suspect he may not be an actu ...more
Lisa
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Master of the Opera Act 1: Passionate Overture by Jeffe Kennedy is the first in a set of six serialized fantasy BDSM novels that take a modern and erotic twist to the Phantom of the Opera tale we all know in some way or another.

I'm wavering between a 3-star and 4-star rating as there wasn't any erotic scenes contained in this first book, and let's be honest, that's what i'm reading this for. However, I do declare this a page turner - I MUST find out who the heck the Master is and who was respons
Laura Greenwood
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Passionate Overture, the first installment in the Master of the Opera series, from Netgalley.

Christy has moved to Santa Fe to work as an apprentice to the open air opera house there. Upon arrival it is revealed to her that her predecessor, Tara, had disappeared without a trace, and was presumed to have run away. Christy is soon swept into a romance with her childhood crush, Roman, which sets some tongues wagging.
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
I read Master of the Opera, Act 2: Ghost Aria first so I already knew what was going to happen. However there is so much other stuff that will eventually be relevant in the later Acts so it really is important to read them in order. Shame on me.

Christy, I like her. I think its funny and completely believable that she chastising herself about being a "dumb chick in the slasher movies" when she went into creepy dark spots. We've all had those thoughts when we're taking out the trash late at night
L.E.Olteano
Reviewed originally at Buterrfly-o-Meter Books on Dec 23rd 2014:

In a Flutter: Effing awesome!
Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: Santa Fe Opera house meets mystery, intrigue and a whole lot of awesome in this first installment of the Master of the Opera serial.
Characters: Christy, the female MC, is ‘daddy’s girl’ trying to make something of herself on her own. I loved her, she’s vibrant, fun and down to earth with a flavor of incurable romantic – one of Jeffe’s trademarks, if you ask me. She come
Amy R
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jeffe Kennedy has a new e-serial romance coming out in January titled Master of the Opera with six acts (installments). Act I: Passionate Overture is just the beginning and seems to set the tone for the rest of the series. I have not read Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux, nor have I watched the musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber, so I won't be able to tell you much about whether Master of the Opera is similar, but so far I am intrigued and a little creeped out (in a good way).

Christine Davis is
Martha
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
As someone who ADORES the Phantom of the Opera, I went in a little skeptical. However, so far in the Master of the Opera series, I haven't been disappointed. It's been fun to see the similarities in characters to the actual play and novel.

Because this is a short bit at the beginning of the series, I'll be curious as to how it plays out and if it differs from the classic Phantom of the Opera. But so far, the evolution of the characters have been good and the pacing on par.

So far, so good! I look
Shelly Bell
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading this for months and it did not disappoint! I've read the original Phantom of the Opera several times and did a paper on it in law school. Of course, I've also seen the musical. The author has done a superb job at modernizing the story. Of course, there are differences. I'm hoping for one big difference in the character of the "Master" and that's his innocence in the murders. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book!
The Glassed And The Furious
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the Phantom of the Opera, absolutely adore it. And I think Jeffe Kennedy is an extremely talented and totally underappreciated writer. So the combination of this re-telling and Kennedy really was brilliant.
So why "only" four stars? Well, I really don't like these short novellas of only about 50 pages. Probably because I was familiar with the general setting of the backstory, I had no trouble getting into the story, but there this instant cut when the story suddenly ends, just as it's beg
Grace Troxel
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

One of the benefits of e-books is the ability to experiment with different styles and lengths of fiction than would be possible in traditional publishing.

In the vein of my resolution to read whatever I want to read whenever I want to read it, I decided to try the serialized novel Master of the Opera by Jeffe Kennedy. I’ve heard of serialized fantasy and sci-fi before, but never serializ
Habrewer
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Master of the Opera I (Passionate Overture) by Jeffe Kennedy
* I received this ARC free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Passionate Overture is the first installment in this new serial by Jeffe Kennedy. Christine’s dad got her an internship at the Santa Fe Opera House where strange things are going on. She wants to prove that she can be on her own and take care of herself, despite what her father thinks. She is concerned about what happened to her predecessor but she is determined
Mistress of the Dark Path
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve had the opportunity to read several other books from Jeffe Kennedy before and was excited to hear about this latest one. This is one author that knows how to build up romantic suspense. For Act 1 of Master of the Opera it doesn’t get too steamy, but it does set the stage (so to speak).

The main character, Christine, is young an innocent just starting out in the world with her first job after finishing school. She comes off a bit flighty and niave, but that’s what makes this story work. She’s
Cerian
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

I am the first to admit that I am a total sucker for anything to do with the Phantom of the Opera. So this book appealed to me instantly. Plus, I liked the idea of having something to read gradually in short segments, around my other books.

Firstly, Christy is a great heroine, so far. She's got a job interning at the Santa Fe Opera House, and she's pretty darn happy about it- even if the intern before her mysteriously disappeared. She's from a wealthy family
Angie
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, adult, freebies
There was no way I could pass on reading Passionate Overture! A modern day Phantom of the Opera? Heck yes! I was a bit wary of the serial format, but so far I think it’s working for me. In this first installment we meet the main cast: Christy, Roman, Charlie, Clara, and “Master.” Christy has joined the theater team, doing inventory. It’s a huge job, and it takes her to the very lower levels of the theater where the woman she’s replacing disappeared. Of course, everyone thinks she spooked because ...more
Elena
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
My 3 stars is temporal. As soon as I read next books, I'll revise it.

So for this moment. It's short book, just the first part of multi-volumed story.
Modern days. christine is working for Santa Fe theatre. Here we can see Raoul'like character, there weren't many episodes starring him, so I can be mistaken, but right now I think him being quite selfish.
Christine shows very little character, just some sketch of a character.
The Master (view spoiler)
The Book and The Harlot's Blog
Passionate Overture is the first part of 6 installments for the Master of the Opera series, which is a modern and erotic take on Phantom of the Opera. A story we are all aware of in one way shape or form.

While there are no erotic scenes in this act, I couldn't help but continue to turn the pages. Readers are presented two questions to ponder in this one, "Who is the Master?" and "What happened to Tara?" Those questions alone will keep you on the edge of your seat.

You, my apprentice, shall cal
Ryan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Jeffe's books. They always pull you in and leave you all warm and tingly. This title is a serialized reworking of Phantom of the Opera and I am in love. Christine has a new job inventorying the Santa Fe Opera House. Her predecessor has gone missing and no one knows what happened. The up side is that she gets to reconnect with her child hood crush.

This is a serialized novel with each installment coming out every 3 weeks or so. Jeffe Kennedy is known for his fabulously erotic titles, and wh
Tiblu
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting....

Interesting but for me personally now nearly enough to base or form an opinion on..... I can say soo far I'd have a 100% better opinion of this was a complete story and this serialized nonsense... Once Upon a time back when our Grandparents or Great grandparents for some were kids back when they'd go to the movies on Saturdays to see the next adventure in some serial/movie of some western or something that was one thing but a bunch of shorts that usually would be better as just on
Jennifer Waller
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
My review is for the series as a whole (since I binge read I don't remember exactly what happened in which segment).

First off, I can't count how many times I was hungry while reading as Kennedy has a tendency for picking some yummy restaurants for her characters to eat at.

On a more serious note. I was cautious at first, as I am a long time fan of the original Phantom by Leroux. I need not have worried. This re-imagining draws on some elements of the original, but is dramatically different. (in
Kimberly
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review featured on www.books-n-kisses.com

3.75 Stars This is the first installment by Jeffe Kennedy’s new book. It is a very short story so far (40 pages) so I don’t have too much to say but as a fan of Kennedy’s I am sure this will be an interesting read. It is obviously based on Phantom of the Opera with a few differences of course. Act 1 is just the introduction introducing us to the characters and the storyline. I look forward to Act 2.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book i
Jess Schira
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I admit that I had a difficult time separating this story from LeRoux's Phantom of the Opera, which I adore. I do think the Ms. Kennedy is doing a fantastic job of sticking closer to LeRoux's horror filled version rather than Webber's romantic twist. Although I find Christine a little on the silly side, and the Phantom hasn't been around long enough for me to form an opinion of, I liked the story well enough that I'm looking forward to reading the second installment.
Rhenna Morgan
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a nice spin on the classic phantom story! When I picked up this book, I wondered how Jeffe would make it original, but she's done it. They're novellas to be sure--designed to be read one after the other. Thankfully, the release schedule supports this approach because we're only having to wait 2 weeks in between each one. I don't think any reader would be disappointed.
Stephanie Collins
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-pending
3.5 interesting start... Full review to come.
Heidi Dover
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: was-okay
Wish this was somewhat more compelling to keep me reading. Want to see where it might go, but wish there was more intrigue/emotional payout in this first installment.
Larissa Katarina
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was way too short for me and I couldn't get a feel of the characters
I also write books under the name Jennifer Paris.

Represented by Sarah Younger at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.

Master of the Opera (6 books)
  • Master of the Opera, Act 2: Ghost Aria
  • Master of the Opera, Act 3: Phantom Serenade
  • Dark Interlude (Master of the Opera #4)
  • Master of the Opera Act 5: A Haunting Duet
  • Master of the Opera, Act 6: Crescendo
“Something in us recognizes magic when we encounter it. Whether we believe in it consciously or not. It affects us and the choices we make.” 3 likes