Start by marking “Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference” as Want to Read:
Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference

Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference

Introverts Do It Quietly

Introverts may feel powerless in a world where extroverts seem to rule, but theres more than one way to have some sway. Jennifer Kahnweiler proves introverts can be highly effective influencers when, instead of trying to act like extroverts, they use their natural strengths to make a difference. Kahnweiler identifies six unique strengths of
Published April 15th 2013 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiet Influence

Start your review of Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
Prasenjeet Kumar
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for introverts to understand how they can use their unique powers to excel in their chosen careers whether it is a desk job, sales job or as an entrepreneur.

Jennifer claims to be an extrovert herself but I must say that she has observed her introvert colleagues were closely. She talks about the six strengths of introverts: Quiet Time, Preparation, Engaged Listening, Focused Conversation, Writing and Thoughtful Use of Social Media.

Her tips are indeed helpful and practical for
Rebecca
Kahnweiler identifies six unique strengths introverts have:

Taking Quiet Time: The periods of solitude that introverts crave provide them with a powerful source of creativity and self-awareness.
Preparation: Careful preparation, which makes introverts feel more comfortable, also makes them very knowledgeable and able to anticipate objections.
Writing: Introverts preference for writing over speaking enables them to influence others through deep, authentic, well-developed arguments.
Engaged
Amanda
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Nothing Earth-shattering or revolutionary, but practical and straightforward. And if you're an introvert who's been trying to make a difference through extraverted techniques (talking a lot), a lifesaver.

Her recommendation is to stop trying to be an extravert (you know it's not working anyway) and start using your strengths to your advantage. You're prone to quiet contemplation and thereby coming up with greater insight: take the time to do that

You're better at making deeper connections with
Rachel
Apr 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frustrating, vague and handwavy, it feels like a blog post padded out to book length.

For example, one of her pillars is "Focused Conversations" which you do by "Providing Support and Encouragement". OK, great. Uh, how? When should you provide encouragement and when should you give critique? What's the best way of giving encouragement? No idea - we're told to do it, and the book moves on to "Spark Learning" by...I'm not sure, honestly. There's a bunch of paragraphs that follow with anedotes
Tamij
Mar 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I learned nothing new from this book. In one word, "no".
Dawn
Quiet Influence may be a better book for either

1) introverts who have not yet found their comfort with being an introvert or

2) extroverts who a) would like to understand and respect introverts more or b) have begun to pick up on the possibility of the idea that developing the ability to shift to some introvert ways, even some of the time, might just lead to long-sought for solutions.

Each worthy goals as well in this world of individuals with differing personalities and at different
Reid Mccormick
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another volume in the introverted movement, Quiet Influence by Jennifer Kahnweiler is a brief but practical guide.

As I do more and more research on introverts (and myself), I have noticed that introverts tend to be an impatient bunch. We like to get to the point, avoiding fluff and other nonessentials. In this mindset, Quiet Influence is the perfect book. It gets straight to the point. It presents six strengths found of Quiet Influencers and their accompanied weaknesses.

Having said that, I still
Kem White
Not what I was expecting but I guess that's my fault. It's a self-help book for people active in the business world. The book attempts to leverage characteristics of introverts to actionable improvement plans. For me the book comes across as all these self-help books do: simpleminded prose, stating the obvious, and difficult to implement ideas. Didn't learn a thing about introverts that I did not already know.
Michaela
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not able to get past the first few chapters of this book. The tone was very much in the style of the current glut of "thought leaders" who tour the lecture circuit and write self-help books. Maybe it would be helpful for introverts who were not already aware of their strengths and challenges. I didn't think it addressed the more nuanced difficulties I have with society.
Sandra
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, by the author of The Introverted Leader, probably isn't going to teach people much that they don't already know, although it is some good reinforcement. It encourages us quieter folk to take quiet time for ourselves to recharge, to prepare for situations by increasing knowledge, to be engaged listeners and have focused conversations to solve problems, and to make our voices heard through writing and social media. The Introverted Leader, which I'm reading now, goes much more into depth ...more
Georgia Hansard
2.8/5

"These traits are not good or bad; they just are. Unfortunately, in modern society, they are frequently misunderstood, undervalued and underappreciated"

"Yet ironically, these traits are precisely why introverts make the best influencers of all- even in a world that has, until now, assumed that you had to make a lot of noise to make a difference"

"May you tap into your own heart, your own strengths, and answer your unique way of making a quietly powerful difference"
David Gamble
This was a good one. It talks about things unique to introverts and how to turn those into strengths, also how to prevent them from getting in the way of success. There are pointers on writing, blogging, avoiding being seen as less in the workplace because you don't talk as much as others, how to work with issues around brainstorming and coworker relationships, making networking actually work for you and being able to tell when it's a waste of time, etc. Would recommend.
Amy Lyden
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was what I was looking for - a guide empowering those with more soft-spoken tendencies to pursue their career goals. I think I will revisit this book in 2-3 years - I'm not quite ready for it yet, as I don't know what I would like to 'make a difference' in. But the tips given here seem practical and effective for my personality type.
K. Dawidowicz
I picked this up out of curiosity after seeing it at the library. Honestly, though, like 90% of this is basic stuff thats either common sense from the internet or stuff you learn in school. There isnt really anything groundbreaking or super helpful here unless no ones ever told you to know your audience before. ...more
Jessica
Kind of interesting but not life-changing or eye-opening too much..
I like reading books about introversion but I wasn't grasped too much by the writing style. I found it a bit dry sometimes.. It was interesting to skim though.
Carl Betts
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about introverts from the point of an extrovert. Introverts can use modern technology to be quiet influencers. Makes the point that everybody doesnt need to be loud and flashy to be an influential leader. ...more
April O'Brien
This book was very boring. The first few chapters held my attention because I felt like the author did a good job of explaining characteristics of introverts (even though she isnt one herself) but after that, it was very easy to tune out. The tips were pretty common sense. ...more
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some good points but I guess I was really looking for advice from an introvert on how to effectively be one. The author says she is not introverted. She mentions pros and cons but not a lot of solid information about how to use one's skills effectively.
Roland
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too fluffy for my liking.
Janet
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the QIQ quiz and references to it throughout the book that encouraged self-reflection as you went along. The chapters are short and direct, and the advice is solid.
Jessica
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm such an introvert who is very much a quiet, not expressive, influencer. I listened to the audiobook but really want to pick up the physical book to go through the six strengths again and take the Quiet Influence Quotient (QIQ) quiz to see how I'm doing!

-Audiobook= 4 hours and 44 minutes-
Wendy Kendall
Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man, is a quote from Iain Duncan Smith, British politician.

The quiet one in the background used to be in the shadow of the attention getters in the world. This book insists those introverts can be highly effective influencers when they make the most of their own natural strengths. The author points out the strengths of being an introvert, and then presents descriptive examples of successful ways to use these strengths. Her examples include some
Krista Lewis
Oversimplification of an important topic. Author missed the opportunity to go deeper and kept the exploration at the surface.
Julie
I read this for a work book club, and for that purpose this book was decent enough. I would actually give it 2.5 stars.

This book starts with covering the reasons why introverts should seek "quiet influence" and the six strengths of quiet influencers. Each strength is then expounded upon in subsequent chapters. One of the assertions that the author makes is that introverts exist in a extroverted world and that they should stop acting like extroverts and instead use their inherent strengths as
Julie Bihn
This was offered free on Southwest while you were on the plane (through Kobo). With few distractions, I had no trouble getting through it. As an introvert, it was mostly stuff I already knew, though the introductory chapter could be helpful reading for extroverts (I tried to make my mom read it so she could understand me, but she declined).

The author admits she's an extrovert, but even if she hadn't said it, I would've certainly guessed by her advice on "Focused Conversations," where she
Janet
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
I should begin with a disclaimer: I received a free, signed copy of this book at the ALA annual conference 2014. When I heard that Jennifer B. Kahnweiler was giving a presentation on introverts I was curious to hear what she had to say. I was surprised to learn that she is an extrovert married to an introvert. She made a few jokes about her husband's behavior. But the thing that really annoyed me was that she made everyone in the audience turn to the person next to them and share something deep ...more
Robert Tobin
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extroverts don't have to rule the business world. If you're an introvert, you don't have to be the one being influenced. You can influence people in your own quiet way. I like this idea.

It's something I've learned by living and working in Japan. In this book, I especially liked learning that b. eing an introvert actually has a lot of strengths. Influencing in a quiet way may be one way to rise above the relentless noise in organizations.

I recommend this book to introverts who want to find and
Joseph Iliff
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I like that Quiet Influence is a straightforward and relatable book with examples and suggestions for anyone trying to leverage their introverted nature to expand their influence. For each of the six tools Jennifer describes, she provides examples of how others have used it, and specific actions to apply them. Jennifer also provides a cautious voice to help the reader develop the sense for when they are overusing that tools, and the subsequent pitfalls.
For a book so full of wisdom and practical
Bookworm
An okay read. An extrovert guides introverts on how they can make their voices heard, whether it's in person or over social media. I did not really feel I learned anything new, but this might be a good guide for an introvert who has trouble communicating, either in person or via social media.

The book is divided into six sections and helps the reader decide in which areas they need the most help: preparation, writing, listening, conversations or social media. Then there are suggestions and
Claire
I didn't finish reading this book because it turned out to not be quite what I was looking for. Kahnweiler's focus in Quiet Influence is for people in the corporate world; since that is not my situation, I found her advice too specific to extract for my use. Also, perhaps in an effort to make concise summary statements at periodic intervals, Kahnweiler's writing is repetitive.

On the other hand, I almost never read anything in the "self-help" genre, so perhaps Kahnweiler's style is typical. I
« previous 1 3 next »
Authenticity at the heart 1 3 Apr 20, 2014 02:17PM

• A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • What You're Really Meant to Do
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Turning Pro
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Introvert Entrepreneur: Amplify Your Strengths and Create Success on Your Own Terms
  • The Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World
  • The Irresistible Introvert: Harness the Power of Quiet Charisma in a Loud World
Jennifer B. Kahnweiler is an international speaker, executive coach and author who specializes in developing and coaching introverted leaders. She holds a doctorate in counseling and organizational development from Florida State University.

Her latest highly anticipated book, The Genius of Opposites: How Introverts and Extroverts Achieve Extraordinary Results Together (Berrett-Koehler, August