Start by marking “Les Planches courbes” as Want to Read:
Les Planches courbes

Les Planches courbes

"La pluie d'été

I

Mais le plus cher mais non
Le moins cruel
De tous nos souvenirs, la pluie d'été
Soudaine, brève.

Nous allions, et c'était
Dans un autre monde,
Nos bouches s'enivraient
De l'odeur de l'herbe.

Terre,
L'étoffe de la pluie se plaquait sur toi.
C'était comme le sein
Qu'eût rêvé un peintre"

Yves Bonnefoy
Mass Market Paperback, 138 pages
Published May 1st 2003 by Gallimard (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Les Planches courbes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Planches courbes

Start your review of Les Planches courbes
Hélène Lamboley
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
J’ai beaucoup aimé les premiers poèmes dont j’ai apprécié les images, la musicalité, l’onirisme et une forme de pureté de l’élémentaire. Je n’ai pas été également touchée par tous les poèmes et recueils réunis mais peut-être était-ce dû à mon humeur, état d’esprit changeant entre mes périodes de lecture. J’ai eu la nette impression que je ne ressentais pas toujours cette poésie de la même manière, que je pouvais y être ouverte et me laisser toucher par elle à certains moments et y être plus impe ...more
Alicia
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ plus 🥰
Andrew
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've only read selections of Yves Bonnefoy before I read this book, and I picked it up in the hopes of getting a fuller sense of how I felt about his work.

What I didn't count on was Hoyt Rogers putting together such a terrible translation.

Some of what Hoyt Rogers does is typical bad translation: his word choices are overly cautions, on the whole, and he's so wed to the simplest semantic meanings that the poetry in English is limp and lifeless.

Some of what Hoyt Rogers does is his own brand of bad
Yigru Zeltil
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-in-french
My first Bonnefoy, probably not the Bonnefoy I should have started with. I honestly came in expecting some subtle modernism - and, well, experienced plenty of subtleties (I am sure some of them have slipped by me), but the modernist part was rather thin. For a poet that comes after Surrealism, Bonnefoy comes across as remarkably backwards-stepping and it is only the remarkable atmosphere from some poems that redeem this mishmash of rather different poems. "La voix lointaine" is the cycle that ge ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translations, poetry
This book of poetry, translated from the French, is my first experience with Yves Bonnefoy. The poems evoke nature and feeling and have wonderful turns of phrase. I loved the line "Our mouths besotted / With the smell of grass." Another one that caught me was "Memories passed through their sleep / Like boats in the fog, stoking their fires / Before they head upstream."
I took my time over this collection, to savor it and enjoy the word, put together so elegantly. A wonderful collection of poems.
T
Frank Romagosa
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliant, as a collection, as a book of poetry, as a book.
To wit: it is a marvel to have the french and the english placed verso recto across the gutter
and with ample white space.

.. that the edition announces that it is bilingual invites us to compare across the break, less to correct than to learn something about translation, to listen across language

and the poems, they are a marvel .. Bonnefoy is a poet of sound, these pages commend us to read them again and to hear them as we re
Fekete Macska
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't like poetry. And I generally don't like the books I have to read for class.
But I read this one some years ago now, and I absolutely loved it, because the poetry lay not so much in the meaning of the words as in the sounds themselves.
One of the greatest pieces of literature I have ever read.
Ffiamma
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, poesia
"che questo mondo rimanga,che le parole non siano /un giorno questi ossami /grigi, che avranno beccato, gridando, litigando, /disperdendosi, /gli uccelli, nostra notte, /nella luce./che questo mondo rimanga /come cessa il tempo/quando si lava la piaga /del bimbo che piange.e quando si ritorna nella stanza scura si vede che dorme in pace, notte, ma luce"
Aurore
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Touchant, j'ai beaucoup apprécié ce recueil de poésie ! Un beau voyage...
rungemaille
Jared
Jun 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Shakespeare's Sonnets
  • Le Ciel: Mythes Et Histoire Des Constellations: Les Catasterismes D'Eratosthene
  • L'autre
  • Survival in Auschwitz
  • Huis clos, suivi de Les mouches
  • Les nourritures terrestres suivi de Les nouvelles nourritures
  • The Sea Wall
Yves Bonnefoy (1923/6/24-2016/7/1) was a French poet and essayist. Bonnefoy was born in Tours, Indre-et-Loire, the son of a railroad worker and a teacher.

His works have been of great importance in post-war French literature, at the same time poetic and theoretical, examining the meaning of the spoken and written word. He also published a number of translations, most notably Shakespeare and publish

News & Interviews

“Our hands full or not:
The same abundance.
Our eyes open or shut:
The same light.”
17 likes
“Clouds, this evening
The same as always, like thirst,
The same red dress, unfastened.
Imagine, passerby,
Our new beginnings, our eagerness, our trust.”
9 likes