Start by marking “The Snow Queen” as Want to Read:

The Snow Queen

Five years ago, Cambridge Ballet's Sugar Plum Fairy vanished after performing The Nutcracker. Despite extensive city and statewide searches, no traces of her, besides her ballet slippers, were ever found. Every year since, another member of the cast has gone missing after closing night: a Spanish Hot Chocolate, an Arabian Dancer, The Dew Drop Fairy, a Flower. Nieves Alba, ...more
Published December 8th 2013 by Bolero Books. LLC (first published November 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Queen

Cora Tea Party Princess
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know something? This was a surprisingly excellent novella.

Although I read it for an Advent challenge, you could pretty much read it at any time. But it's at this time of year that it'd really come to life.

Fans of ballet and fantasy and mystery, tuck in! This beautifully eerie short story works fantastically. There are a few steamy scenes, it seems that most New Adult can't function without it, but it works in the story.

My favourite part was probably that toxic, poisonous relationship which l
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Grace Troxel
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures. I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Snow Queen by Alana Albertson is a novella about “The Nutcracker.” Nieves Alba, a member of the Cambridge Ballet, is a young ballerina who has her heart set on one day playing the Snow Queen. Right after performing “The Nutcracker,” the company’s Sugar Plum fairy disappeared. Each year, a different m
Emma
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r4r-and-arc
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.

General Overview (No Spoilers)

It was only 54 pages long so it was fast paced yet not rushed. The story flowed well, it was exciting and full of mystery and love, wrong choices and loyalty with an air of magic. There were a few holes in the story for me, but easy to overlook. I like the characters. I had a little trouble with that it was not until it stated her age that I realised that Nieves was at the start only
Laura Greenwood
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of The Snow Queen from Netgalley.

Nieves has been preparing for the role of the Snow Queen in the Nutcracker her whole training life, and 5 years after the disappearance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, she gets the part. When Misha, her idol and retired ballet dancer begins to pay her particular attention, Nieves is thrilled, thinking all her dreams have come true. But her dance partner, Evan, is worried about the progressin
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
More reviews at http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

Actual Rating: 2.5

It was the beautiful cover that first attracted me to requesting this novella. It also had an interesting Christmassy theme with a darker twist which is something that sounded like something I would love... and in away that's what I got.

The Snow Queen is a very short novella that didn't even last me an hour so I can't say a lot without revealing too much. The story was an okay Christmas/festive read however, because of the length
Amanda
Dec 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Thank you Netgalley and Bolero Books for this ebook. This cover is so pretty I was drawn to this novella immediately. I love the Nutcracker and was intrigued by the mystery surrounding the missing dancers. The story begins with Nieves watching the drama of the Sugar Plum Fairy’s disappearance, and unfortunately she takes that moment to give you a clue that you can’t miss of what has happened to the ballerina.

Spoilers ahead.

Flash forward 5 years and Nieves is about to dance herself as the Snow Q
Erin
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
(view spoiler) ...more
Jillian
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Hmmm... I guess I'll start by saying, I have a problem with novellas.. I don't like them. I usually avoid them. I guess my problem with novellas is that they are too short, you don't get enough information from them and the whole thing is rushed...
I felt that this novella was especially rushed. I wanted to get to know the characters, to understand the world, and by the time that happened, the climax was done and the book was over...
Courtney Vasiliev
Alana Albertson
Ebook from Netgalley
♥♡♥♡

The cover of this book grabbed my attention Immediately! Absolutely stunning!

The only thing I don't like about this novella is that it is so short. I feel the author could have explored so much more with this. and I could have gone with a stronger ending! I really hope this was a novella introducing a series or a novel because the author left it open for that!

I loveee the ballet I dont know the terminology but it wasnt anything that ruined the
Lacey
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of The Snow Queen novella from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story started with a wonderful idea, unfortunately, mostly due to its length, the plot felt rushed and no bonds were formed with characters. I think Albertson would have had a stellar novel on her hands, had she gone that route. This story was just too big for 80 pages.

I would have liked it if the mystery had remained a mystery for more than a page and developed more. It’s quite obvious who is respon
Angel Graham
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Angel by: NetGalley
This was better than horrible, but not enough to call it okay.

The plus side is it was one of the most well-edited books I have read in quite awhile. It had a good premise.

The bad is, the ending was pretty much telegraphed from the very start. There was little to keep my interest through it.

The ugly. It was just too, emotionless. Nothing about the main character made me want to care what happened to her. She could not, or would not see what was so clear due to her infatuation with the antagonist
Cindy
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a fast paced story that was fun to read. It didn't take long but I was entertained. The Snow Queen has lots of twists and turns while you try to solve the mystery. I don't want to say too much and spoil the story for others.

I probably would have given 5 stars if I didn't feel as if there were a few story lines that I felt were rushed at the ending. And understanding ballet terms would be helpful so you can picture what the author is talking about.

This is an entertaining Christmas read f
Jennifer Bardsley
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“The Snow Queen” by Alana Albertson is a quick, fun read exploring similar themes to her full length book, “Love Waltzes In”. Written for a younger (but mature) audience, it tells the story of a young ballerina who will do anything to become the perfect dancer on stage—and the protégé/lover of her childhood idol. All the while something dark and sinister is brewing…

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to think about “The Nutcracker” the same way again!
Brittany
2.5 stars. Though I did like the mystery and and the plot somewhat. I felt like I was starting at the end of a book rather then the beginning and it all seemed really predictable. I mean if your looking for a really quick and easy read where not a lot of thought is needed to solve the mystery then you'll like this but I just was not for me.
Annice22
Borrowed from NetGalley for an honest review.

I thought this wasn't very good. It was too easy to figure out who was responsible for the missing women. I wish the story had focused more on the mysterious disappearance of the dancers instead of focusing so much on the twisted relationship between Nieves and Mikhail.

The premise seemed interesting it's just the story didn't work.
Alyssa
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Fans of fairy tales and the ballet will find this novella a perfect piece of escapism literature.
It is predictable and somewhat mindless but with all the chaos of the holidays it's a great indulgence. A great romantic mystery.
Jessica Figueroa
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is defiantly worth 5 stars. A perfect little escape from my own holiday madness. I loved the little twists and turns and it was unique and original in its own way. This book was well-written and had me hooked from the start. I loved the characters and really enjoyed this little novella.
Amara
BIZARRE. And no relationship building between the two characters.
Christina Noll
a bit predictable but still fun read for the holiday/Christmas season.
Andrea Mcbride
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This was the weirdest story I have read ! Intriguing but weird !
Jennifer C. Lopez
Nov 03, 2014
Rosario
rated it did not like it
Dec 22, 2013
Sarah Harper
Dec 28, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 01:08PM
All About Fantasy!: Giveaway: The Snow Queen 1 15 Feb 24, 2014 02:45PM
Alana Albertson is a multi-award winning author, current President of Romance Writers of America's Contemporary Romance Chapter and the former President of both Romance Writers of America’s Young Adult and Chick Lit chapters. Alana Albertson holds a Masters of Education from Harvard University and a Bachelor of Arts in English from Stanford University. A recovering professional ballroom dancer, Al ...more