Start by marking “Mindbridge” as Want to Read:
Mindbridge

Mindbridge

The discovery of a remarkable alien technology light years from Earth could have devastating consequences for humanity in this science fiction classic by the author of the Hugo and Nebula Award–winning novel The Forever War

In the far future, the accidental scientific breakthrough known as the Levant-Meyer Translation changes everything. Suddenly people can leap instantane
Published December 28th 1976 by Ultramarine Publishing Company (first published August 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Mindbridge, please sign up.
Ayshe I changed it. If you see other issues like that, you can post in the Librarians group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Start your review of Mindbridge
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Jacque Lefavre is a bit of a wild man, but he manages to hold himself together long enough to accepted as a Tamer - a matter transmission scout. He makes close connections with other Tamers, and when one team makes a startling discovery, Jacque and his crew are pushed into a central role.

Joe Haldeman is deservedly famous for The Forever War. Until recently, that and its sequels were most of what I knew about him. Unfortunately, the limits on that fame may also b
Terence
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: Library Used-Book shelf
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Mindbridge reads much like a retread of Haldeman's seminal The Forever War:

1. The plot revolves around the miscommunication between humans and another intelligent species, the L'vrai (le vrai = "the truth"?), who bear a strong resemblance to the Taurans of TFW.

2. The quasi-military organization, the AED, that coordinates human space exploration protects its people with a remarkable suit that's a cousin to the suits that protected William and Marygay in TFW.

3. The hero's name, Jacque Lafavre, is
Ron
Good. Maybe a 3.5, but Haldeman doesn't get the beginner's benefit. Probably would have enjoyed it more thirty years ago. Some SF ages better than others.

Inconsequential geographic mistakes about Colorado Springs--where I lived thirteen years--knocked me out of the story several times. No big deal, but Haldeman shouldn't have made them.
blake
Haldeman is always good, and this story is no different, using a few science-fiction devices to create an interesting story of a future where people teleport to remote planets to try to geoform them. It's done in a neo-epistolary fashion, with about 50 chapters over 200 pages, comprised of news items, excerpts from a biography, and mission reports, as well as just traditional narrative. This made it somewhat harder to get swept up in (until the last act, which really amps things up).

I couldn't q
Kevin
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

I had high hopes for this book when I was getting started, but was ultimately disappointed.

The story starts fairly strong - a method is discovered that can send humans to the far reaches of the galaxy instantly. Colonization ensues, and the job of tamer (first boots on the ground) is coveted.

The story follows the son of a scientist who says such travel is impossible, only for it to actually happen shortly afterwards,
Ann
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish you could do half stars.. I'd give this a 3 1/2.

This book is written in a way I'd never seen a book written before. Some chapters are presented as a play, with just dialogue. There are also complicated charts that have information that pertain to the story (and a lot of info that is extra just for color), tangential stories about side characters such as the man who operates the LMT chamber crystal, several interviews with the characters presented as though it were the actual official doc
Grace
Nov 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most sexist science fiction novel I've ever read. I can't believe what's expected from the female space travelers. It's total abuse of the female body. What's expected from the men isn't so good, either, except that the main character doesn't seem to realize it. No civilized society would treat its people like this.
Bondama
Excellent, vintage Haldeman - this man is becoming a "go-to" writer -- I read anything he writes, as soon as I find it. I did come late to reading him, for some reason... my sci-fi reading was primarily done at least 20-30 yrs ago - so I'm now going back, trying to catch up on books I've missed!
Casey Wheeler
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reissue of a classic science fiction book by the author. While having read a number of the Haldeman's books while I was a teenager I somehow missed this one. The premise of the book is about dealing with an advanced alien race, using another alien lifeform to communicate telepathically and being beamed to far away places to possibly terraform other planets.  I found the book very engaging which made it a fast read.

I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of classic science fiction.
Charles Dee Mitchell
Thanks to the wonders of Levant-Meyer Translation technology, one of those science fictional devices for FTL travel best taken on the author's terms rather than questioned for its scientific grounds, humans now send teams of Tamers to distant planets to test them for possible terraforming. This is tricky and dangerous work with results than can be bloody and disastrous. On a planet the second out from Groombridge 1618, Jacque Lafavre and his team bring back what appears to be a sluglike alien li ...more
Mounir
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Casey Wheeler

I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of classic science fiction.
 Reading Reindeer
REVIEW: MINDBRIDGE by Joe Haldeman

Award-winning author Joe Haldeman' s trademark philosophical science fiction is much in evidence in this futuristic tale of universal exploration, made possible by the implications of a new theory of astrophysics.Delineated through the character if "Tamer" Jacques Lefavre (son if the physicist who devoted his lifetime to disproving this theory), MINDBRIDGE explores alien telepathy, and the existence of an ancient species of star explorers.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I always know when I start a new Joe Haldeman book is that I am in for a great SiFi read. Well written with a good science basis for the SiFi aspect of the world you enter makes Haldeman's books a joy to read. You always get a great SiFi story with that Haldeman plot twist that makes me wish the book were longer or had a sequel. Very recommended
Florin Pitea
I read it back in the Nineties. A gripping tale.
Bar Reads
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe haldman is becoming one of my favourite authors!
Bill Gusky
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
imho some of the last great Sci Fi.
Joachim Boaz
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 (Very Good)

Nominated for the 1977 Hugo Award

Joe Haldeman never struck me as an author who experimented with New Wave methods of telling. Mindbridge (1976) shatters my misconception. Imagine the basic plot of his masterpiece The Forever War (1975) combined with a fascinating experimental structure. The latter intrigued me far more than the former.

The Basic Plot: The Levant-Meyer Translation allows humans to instantaneously travel across the galaxy. The Tamer Agency sends its agents to inves
Patrick Scheele
This book has some interesting ideas, like the instantaneous transfer to distant planets with all its limitations and dangers. I wish that idea had been explored more. It had the potential for some creepy horror scenes mixed in with the sf adventure. Sadly it then devolved into science fantasy and became all about the magical telepathy.

For a while it seemed like the newly discovered aliens would make the book interesting again, but they turned out to be level 9001 wizards specializing in telepa
Charles Harrison
I think this is the award winning book I have enjoyed least. I liked the varied writing style (reports, statistics, small plays etc) and there were some solid concepts but the narrative just seemed a little on the weak side. Indeed I feel a really interesting protagonist was rushed through and you are rarely given time to learn anything about him rather you are told.
The explanation for the mind bridges is given to early and is to obscure. The big twist ending is easy to see coming and leaves it
Almustafa Couch
An interesting, brief, book which explored the consequences of having mind reading abilities among human beings and the relationship ramifications of being able to know how your "partner" is actually feeling at the time. But, this did lead to other important questions about motivations in negotiation generally. The book also addressed the question of colonisation, where one race may be able to take over a particular physical realm,in which they cannot sustain life, whereas the indigenous life fo ...more
Gary Sedivy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time contact with at least two alien species. Written as a series of reports and records of contact. (Sort of like ‘World War Z’.) One of the species is innocuously dangerous, the other is fearfully extremely dangerous.
Dylan Patel
Rushed but interesting plot, quite a bit happening at the same time, non-linear narration and confusing at times.
Richp
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be routine science fiction by a competent, and sometimes e xcellent, writer.
Rafe Hart
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, in Haldeman's usual style.
Eric
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Some interesting ideas around teleportation. A bit perverse at times.
Joseph Perkins
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Exciting and fast paced story-telling with an interesting mechanism that advances the plot. Narratively, the "point" could have been clearer, earlier, and explored more deeply.
Darren Goossens
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Review from http://wp.me/p3fsue-Cg.

Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman

Orbit, 1977 (186 pages)

This novel uses a sort of 'bits and pieces' narrative approach; extracts from an autobiography of the main character, scientific reports, regular novel chapters (named as such), communiqués and so on. It it extremely effective in creating a fast-moving narrative that gives a very full picture of what is going on and lets us see the characters from the inside and the outside.

Cover of <i>Mindbridge</i> by Joe Haldeman.
Cover of Mindbridge by Joe Halde
Beau
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last week, but it was written in the 1970's. Haldeman is famous for having won both the Nebula and Hugo awards for The Forever War. That book reflected his feelings about war based on his experience in the Vietnam War, but it also contained one of the fundamental elements of romances: the Gap That Cannot Be Crossed. Relativity and huge distances in time and space made connecting with your girl into an activity that might use up the energy of a star for a few days.

In short, Hald
Zeb Kantrowitz
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
In this novel of the future, humanity has found a way to travel to the stars. Using a system called the Levant-Meyer Translation (LMT), ‘tamers’ (as the travelers are called) travel to planets around distant stars. LMT can send you anywhere but the amount of time you spend there is limit and then you ‘slingshot’ back to where you started. LMT has two major limitations, you cannot go for less than 19 ½ hours and the exact spot where you land is guess work (you could land in the ocean or in a swam ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1)
  • The Ophiuchi Hotline (Eight Worlds #1)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
  • Hothouse
  • Wizard (Gaea, #2)
  • Raft (Xeelee Sequence, #1)
  • THX 1138
  • The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)
  • Mars Nation 1: Hard Science Fiction (Mars Trilogy)
  • The Boat of a Million Years
  • The Engines of God (The Academy #1)
  • The Children of the Sky  (Zones of Thought, #3)
  • The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1)
  • Glory Season
  • Macroscope
  • Dragon's Egg (Cheela, #1)
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres