Start by marking “Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions, #3)

Shouldn't You Be in School?

(All the Wrong Questions #3)

Is Lemony Snicket a detective or a smoke detector?

Do you smell smoke? Young apprentice Lemony Snicket is investigating a case of arson but soon finds himself enveloped in the ever-increasing mystery that haunts the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea. Who is setting the fires? What secrets are hidden in the Department of Education? Why are so many schoolchildren in danger? Is it al
Published September 30th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Shouldn't You Be in School?, please sign up.
Nathaniel Yes, this is the newest book. It came out in September.
Chantal Its a really good book! but you should read the first two books before this one.

Start your review of Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions, #3)
Tessa
If you couldn't tell by my status updates, I loved this. Every book in this series is better than the last. And, as a bonus, in this one you get some answers! I know, LS actually answering questions is a shocking thought. But it happens. Pinky promise.

Bonus points for amazing illustrations.

(view spoiler)
C.G. Drews
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure Lemony Snicket can do no wrong. This is another work of brilliance, sarcasm, and delicious breakfasts. Although I'm beginning to think Snicket has a thing against coffee. (Cue horror from me, actually.)

Oh and ATTENTION: WE FINALLY KNOW WHAT VFD STANDS FOR. It's sure and certain this time! Mr. Snicket actually says it. (Pfft, I'm not telling you, that's why you read the book. Duh. Although by this point...I mean I've read all 13 A Series of Unfortuante Event books, then I read the
Teresa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
More parodying of the hard-boiled detective genre, more book "tips" (always my favorite part) and more thoughtfulness, too; chosen to be read by me at a time similar to the below (from pp. 154-5):

The story of the book filled the car with exciting adventures of the sort that are fun to read about, so we didn't have to think about the exciting adventures of the sort that are no fun to live through.

Adding to the fun for me is that the "story" related in the car by the 13-year-old Snicket is a child
Paul E. Morph
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite Wrong Question so far. I'm now just hoping Snicket doesn't blow it on the dismount.
Dan
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the third and penultimate book in the All the Wrong Questions series, the prequel series to A Series of Unfortunate Events. Gradually the crimes in the books have got more series from theft to kidnap and here to arson. The mysterious villain Hangfire is still up to no good and the young Lemony Snicket is on the case. But things aren't going well in the drab town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea and it looks like Snicket might fail this time.

This is "Lemony Snicket" at his very best. There's a grea
Suad Shamma
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2014, own
I absolutely loved this part of the series! I read this on the go from the moment I received my copy, didn't matter if I was getting my hair done, my nails done, waiting at the doctor's office, or at work - this book was with me at all times until I had read it from cover to cover.

Lemony Snicket and Daniel Handler both do not disappoint, as usual. So many things start to make sense in this book, and a lot of questions are answered, albeit not the right ones. I loved this book because it had a m
Lydia
This series just gets better and better. Some of my favourite lines, too! Snicket writes in such a satisfying way.

"You cannot wait for an untroubled world to have an untroubled moment. [...] In the meantime, it is best to grab whatever wonderful moments you find lying around."

He uses so many tricks like momentarily switching to third person, then back to first, his craft is really evident in all his work. (Although I am still so salty about Snicket being a pseudonym, my 12 year old self will n
Ellen Trautner
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious as always, some great plot twists, book recommendations and summaries snuck in, an admonition to warn adults against smoking, and great breakfast recipes! Lemony Snicket is genius.

But the reason this gets 5 stars is because of the VFD. Lemony Snicket actually states what it stands for and gives a great speech about why it exists, why it will never be victorious but invincible nonetheless. The description between good and bad members of the VFD is also funny.

Aunt Josephine, from The Wid
Victoria
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Although Snicket books are witty, funny and sarcastic, with each book in this series I feel so sorry for him. Lemony Snicket has to dive into more and more treachery to save Stain'd-by-the-Sea instead of trying to rescue his sister Kit from prison. Finally, S. Theodora Markson realises that she isn't a good chaperone nor a good volunteer, which was unexpected because adults almost never admit they are wrong in a Snicket book.

This was a great penultimate book in the series - just enough suspense
Zachariah
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn Lemony. Why aren't people talking about this amazing series?
Basyirah
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zilch meant nothing. I was disappointed but not surprised.

Lemony is more witty with his comments in this one and I'm loving it. Of course, they kept asking all the wrong questions, and a few more unanswered questions, but it's a very fun read. I have to read the final book soon (even though I think it wouldn't exactly give me satisfying answers to all my questions)
Melissa
A Series of Unfortunate Events has pride of place on my shelves. I loved that series more than anything except Harry Potter in my teens, and even then it was a close tie. There was nothing like the excitement of picking up the newest book and pouring obsessively through it for clues, discussing them online for hours, and disappearing into Lemony Snicket's strange but wonderful world. So when All the Wrong Questions - a prequel series of four books - was announced, I was delighted. And then Who C ...more
Sara
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There you are, Mr. Snicket, my love. I've been kind of generally underwhelmed (though not unimpressed...I still like them) by the new Lemony Snicket series. The first one had the novelty of the new world and the new tone, and the second one was just kind of meh...but this one. Oh...this one. This is why I love Lemony Snicket.

I think maybe it helped that I listened to the audio book. Klaus (from the A Series of Unfortunate Events movie) narrates it, and he's good. I think maybe I didn't understan
Drew
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only drawback of this novel is that it is very much a middle installment. While the adventure itself is self-contained (mystery of the fires / eventual resolution), there is the never-more-apparent sense that big things are coming and the next & final installment of the quartet will bring them to pass. But Snicket doesn't give up on allowing quiet moments here and there, thinking about the greater (and stranger) mysteries of the world he's created. The images of Stain'd-by-the-Sea have never ...more
Krisette Spangler
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I'm such a huge fan of Lemony Snicket. This new series is a lot of fun, and it's filled with the same wit that has made him famous. I also like reading about all of the delicious meals Jake cooks up in Hungry's Cafe. Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book:

" Behind a few shrubs was a large, abandoned wagon, longer than an automobile and wider, too. It looked like something a farmer might use, or people who traveled with all the books they owned, just in case they needed one of them."

"Y
Lea Sprenger
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You shouldn't pay too much attention to this review because I'm definitely biased.

I just love Lemony Snicket's style. His weirdness, and wordplays, and all the universe that he's built around the Series of Unfortunate Events. What can I say? I just really loved his work when I was little, and I'm not going to stop loving it now. Besides, Seth's illustrations are gorgeous. It really captures the atmosphere of the books.

The only thing that bothers me a little is all the unanswered questions that
Shannon
Favourite of the series so far! Lots of characters, lots of action, and progression on the story overall. Good fun ! Really enjoying buddy reading this series with Izzy!
Beth
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you have a bruise you do not want it touched, but everyone who cares about you will want to touch it, in the hope of somehow making it better.”
This is the third book in the All The Wrong Questions series by Lemony Snicket, it follows a young Lemony and his friends as they try to take down a horrible criminal and save Stained by the Sea which is a tiny, very odd, town on the brink of ruin as their main source of income has dried up. Quite literally, they used to farm ink from squids in their ...more
Daphne
Re-read: September 2018
I think this is my favorite book in the entire series. I can't think of a single thing wrong with it. (Not that I can think of anything wrong with the other books in the series - this one is just a little better.) I can never properly write about books that I love, so I'm just gonna leave some jot notes of my thoughts.

- My favorite scene was definitely the scene with Lemony and Ellington in the hayride. (view spoiler)
Allegra S
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read all of Lemony Snicket's books and I think this one must be the best one.

Finally we start to get answers in a series which only asks questions. And no longer did I feel like the kids were totally powerless; something that endlessly frustrates me about both this series and the Series of Unfortunate Events. You are constantly rooting for the underdog, and sometimes the underdog needs a win! Don't be fooled, the mysteries aren't totally resolved in this book, but you begin to feel some h
Amy B
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can only think back on this book with fondness. :) If the first one felt just a smidge forced, and the second one was chock full of laughs and winks, this one was the one that really got to my heart. The plot really picked up; Hangfire became more of a presence and his evil plans began to fully take effect on the town and all its residents. An awesome group of young heroes and heroines has formed, led by the admirable Lemony Snicket who grows more and more lovable with each book. His narration ...more
Luna
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like funny mysteries!
I love his stories and I can't wait for this book to come out!
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Imagining the worst doesn't keep it from happening. The treachery of the world will continue no matter how much you worry about it." pg 106

"We represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory over cruelty and chaos. We're an invincible army, but not a victorious one. We've had different names throughout history but all the words that describe us are false and all attempts to organize us fail... People like us always slip through the net. Our true home is the imagination and our kin
Carol
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My brain... jezz, my brain, it's going to explode. What a book! So many things going on, so many treacherous things. Stew is far worse than I thought would be possible, Hangfire is far more scarier than I thought, and Ellington has done nothing to gain my trust yet. I knew she was trouble, and she might be capable of doing the right things… but she is also very capable of doing the wrong ones, so she is dangerous.
The whole mystery was very stressful, Theodora is more sensible than I thought she
Scarlett
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely liking this series more as the books go on! It’s still not as good as A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I’m definitely picking up on more and more connections between the two. I have my theories about Hangfire and I’m anxious to see how/if he connects to the later books. Also Bertrand is mentioned in this one as someone who would probably “end up married to a wonderful woman and have very charming children, while I (Lemony Snicket) languished alone and lonely,” and Lemony agrees thi ...more
Julianne
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
My sister saw this title and got really excited. "It's the question that defined out childhoods!" she said. "And it says in the back here that Lemony Snicket had an 'unusual education.'"

Unsurprisingly, "unusual education" is music to the homeschooled child's ears, even when that child is an adult and her older sister brings home a children's book from the library.

Since I, too, was homeschooled, I figured this book would be awesome- and for the most part, it was. Now that I'm through with it, tho
Aaron Ryker
This book was kind of complicated, but I enjoyed it nervertheless. The first few pages were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring, but when the plot shifted into the climax, the book became interesting. After page 50 or something, I wanted to keep reading this book. I probably lost an hour of sleep and my life because of this book was so suspenseful. The first-person narration is very ...more
Sheida
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s fun and it’s filled with Snicket’s unique style of writing. My problem with this series is just that I constantly forget the plot of the previous book when I start and lack the drive to continue on to the next one when I finish.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-to-read
I like the plot. They are all good books.
Michael R. Plain
I like
The Nooks of Books: "Shouldn't You Be in School?" 1 7 Jan 28, 2015 04:00AM

• Adverbs
  • The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations: An Utterly Unreliable Account of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Let Sleeping Dragons Lie (Have Sword, Will Travel #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • Batman, Volume 12: City of Bane Part 1
  • Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the Sats
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • The Lottie Project
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • Buried Alive! (Adventure, #2)
  • A Taste of Blackberries
  • Wet Hot American Summer
  • How Mamas Love Their Babies
  • Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

All the Wrong Questions (4 books)
  • Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1)
  • When Did You See Her Last? (All the Wrong Questions, #2)
  • Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (All the Wrong Questions, #4)