Start by marking “Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions, #3)

Shouldn't You Be in School?

(All the Wrong Questions #3)

Is Lemony Snicket a detective or a smoke detector?

Do you smell smoke? Young apprentice Lemony Snicket is investigating a case of arson but soon finds himself enveloped in the ever-increasing mystery that haunts the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea. Who is setting the fires? What secrets are hidden in the Department of Education? Why are so many schoolchildren in danger? Is it al
Published September 30th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Shouldn't You Be in School?, please sign up.
Nathaniel Yes, this is the newest book. It came out in September.
Chantal Its a really good book! but you should read the first two books before this one.

Josiphine/Tessa
If you couldn't tell by my status updates, I loved this. Every book in this series is better than the last. And, as a bonus, in this one you get some answers! I know, LS actually answering questions is a shocking thought. But it happens. Pinky promise.

Bonus points for amazing illustrations.

(view spoiler)
C.G. Drews
I'm pretty sure Lemony Snicket can do no wrong. This is another work of brilliance, sarcasm, and delicious breakfasts. Although I'm beginning to think Snicket has a thing against coffee. (Cue horror from me, actually.)

Oh and ATTENTION: WE FINALLY KNOW WHAT VFD STANDS FOR. It's sure and certain this time! Mr. Snicket actually says it. (Pfft, I'm not telling you, that's why you read the book. Duh. Although by this point...I mean I've read all 13 A Series of Unfortuante Event books, then I read the
Teresa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
More parodying of the hard-boiled detective genre, more book "tips" (always my favorite part) and more thoughtfulness, too; chosen to be read by me at a time similar to the below (from pp. 154-5):

The story of the book filled the car with exciting adventures of the sort that are fun to read about, so we didn't have to think about the exciting adventures of the sort that are no fun to live through.

Adding to the fun for me is that the "story" related in the car by the 13-year-old Snicket is a child
Dan
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the third and penultimate book in the All the Wrong Questions series, the prequel series to A Series of Unfortunate Events. Gradually the crimes in the books have got more series from theft to kidnap and here to arson. The mysterious villain Hangfire is still up to no good and the young Lemony Snicket is on the case. But things aren't going well in the drab town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea and it looks like Snicket might fail this time.

This is "Lemony Snicket" at his very best. There's a grea
Suad Shamma
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, own, favourites
I absolutely loved this part of the series! I read this on the go from the moment I received my copy, didn't matter if I was getting my hair done, my nails done, waiting at the doctor's office, or at work - this book was with me at all times until I had read it from cover to cover.

Lemony Snicket and Daniel Handler both do not disappoint, as usual. So many things start to make sense in this book, and a lot of questions are answered, albeit not the right ones. I loved this book because it had a m
Rebecca
You can read this review and more on my blog

In a nutshell: A wonderful addition to the All the Wrong Questions series and quite possibly my favourite so far!

I am a huge Lemony Snicket fan and A Series of Unfortunate Events was my favourite series growing up. As much enjoyment as I get out of reading the books again now, it is an absolute pleasure to have a new series by Lemony Snicket to read too. Age should not be a boundary with books and it's not something that prevents me from loving this se
Ellen Trautner
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious as always, some great plot twists, book recommendations and summaries snuck in, an admonition to warn adults against smoking, and great breakfast recipes! Lemony Snicket is genius.

But the reason this gets 5 stars is because of the VFD. Lemony Snicket actually states what it stands for and gives a great speech about why it exists, why it will never be victorious but invincible nonetheless. The description between good and bad members of the VFD is also funny.

Aunt Josephine, from The Wid
Victoria
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Although Snicket books are witty, funny and sarcastic, with each book in this series I feel so sorry for him. Lemony Snicket has to dive into more and more treachery to save Stain'd-by-the-Sea instead of trying to rescue his sister Kit from prison. Finally, S. Theodora Markson realises that she isn't a good chaperone nor a good volunteer, which was unexpected because adults almost never admit they are wrong in a Snicket book.

This was a great penultimate book in the series - just enough suspense
Melissa
A Series of Unfortunate Events has pride of place on my shelves. I loved that series more than anything except Harry Potter in my teens, and even then it was a close tie. There was nothing like the excitement of picking up the newest book and pouring obsessively through it for clues, discussing them online for hours, and disappearing into Lemony Snicket's strange but wonderful world. So when All the Wrong Questions - a prequel series of four books - was announced, I was delighted. And then Who C ...more
Sara
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There you are, Mr. Snicket, my love. I've been kind of generally underwhelmed (though not unimpressed...I still like them) by the new Lemony Snicket series. The first one had the novelty of the new world and the new tone, and the second one was just kind of meh...but this one. Oh...this one. This is why I love Lemony Snicket.

I think maybe it helped that I listened to the audio book. Klaus (from the A Series of Unfortunate Events movie) narrates it, and he's good. I think maybe I didn't understan
Drew
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only drawback of this novel is that it is very much a middle installment. While the adventure itself is self-contained (mystery of the fires / eventual resolution), there is the never-more-apparent sense that big things are coming and the next & final installment of the quartet will bring them to pass. But Snicket doesn't give up on allowing quiet moments here and there, thinking about the greater (and stranger) mysteries of the world he's created. The images of Stain'd-by-the-Sea have n ...more
Lea Sprenger
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You shouldn't pay too much attention to this review because I'm definitely biased.

I just love Lemony Snicket's style. His weirdness, and wordplays, and all the universe that he's built around the Series of Unfortunate Events. What can I say? I just really loved his work when I was little, and I'm not going to stop loving it now. Besides, Seth's illustrations are gorgeous. It really captures the atmosphere of the books.

The only thing that bothers me a little is all the unanswered questions that
دانیال بهزادی
این مجموعه خیلی بد شروع شد،ولی خیلی خوب داره با پیشرفت داستان، پیشرفت میکنه و جلو میآد. توی این کتاب بالاخره متوجّه میشیم که حدسمون در مورد اون سازمان مخفی درست بود و وضعیت، همون چیزیه که دوست داشتیم باشه، اثر یکی دو تا شخصیت دیگه هم گذرا و نامحسوس، توی این کتاب وجود داره. همهچیز به گونهای پیش میره که بیصبرانه منتظرم کتاب چهارم مجموعه رو بگیرم و بخونم. البته لمونی اسنیکت همچنان در جاهای ممکن قضیه، بیشعوری ذاتیش رو به رخ خواننده میکشه ((:
اگه بخوام بیشتر از این بنویسم، احتمالاً داستان رو لو خواهم
Magen
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC
Allegra S
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read all of Lemony Snicket's books and I think this one must be the best one.

Finally we start to get answers in a series which only asks questions. And no longer did I feel like the kids were totally powerless; something that endlessly frustrates me about both this series and the Series of Unfortunate Events. You are constantly rooting for the underdog, and sometimes the underdog needs a win! Don't be fooled, the mysteries aren't totally resolved in this book, but you begin to feel some h
Krisette Spangler
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I'm such a huge fan of Lemony Snicket. This new series is a lot of fun, and it's filled with the same wit that has made him famous. I also like reading about all of the delicious meals Jake cooks up in Hungry's Cafe. Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book:

" Behind a few shrubs was a large, abandoned wagon, longer than an automobile and wider, too. It looked like something a farmer might use, or people who traveled with all the books they owned, just in case they needed one of them."

"Y
Bruna Miranda
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tinha esquecido como a escrita de Lemony Snicket é deliciosa. A série Só Perguntas Erradas foi meu primeiro contato com o autor e logo no primeiro livro fiquei encantada como ele brinca com as palavras, apresenta informações de forma sutil e muda o rumo da história em duas linhas.
Nesse terceiro volume da série o leitor finalmente sabe mais sobre Snicket, o narrador e personagem misterioso, há uma mistura de personagens dos outros volumes e trama contra Hangfire fica mais elaborada. Assim como no
Amy B
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can only think back on this book with fondness. :) If the first one felt just a smidge forced, and the second one was chock full of laughs and winks, this one was the one that really got to my heart. The plot really picked up; Hangfire became more of a presence and his evil plans began to fully take effect on the town and all its residents. An awesome group of young heroes and heroines has formed, led by the admirable Lemony Snicket who grows more and more lovable with each book. His narration ...more
Luna
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like funny mysteries!
I love his stories and I can't wait for this book to come out!
Carol
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My brain... jezz, my brain, it's going to explode. What a book! So many things going on, so many treacherous things. Stew is far worse than I thought would be possible, Hangfire is far more scarier than I thought, and Ellington has done nothing to gain my trust yet. I knew she was trouble, and she might be capable of doing the right things… but she is also very capable of doing the wrong ones, so she is dangerous.
The whole mystery was very stressful, Theodora is more sensible than I thought she
Julianne
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
My sister saw this title and got really excited. "It's the question that defined out childhoods!" she said. "And it says in the back here that Lemony Snicket had an 'unusual education.'"

Unsurprisingly, "unusual education" is music to the homeschooled child's ears, even when that child is an adult and her older sister brings home a children's book from the library.

Since I, too, was homeschooled, I figured this book would be awesome- and for the most part, it was. Now that I'm through with it, tho
Sheida
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s fun and it’s filled with Snicket’s unique style of writing. My problem with this series is just that I constantly forget the plot of the previous book when I start and lack the drive to continue on to the next one when I finish.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-to-read
I like the plot. They are all good books.
hamna
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
the ending... wow
15VanGeesbergenH
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as it was unexpected. You have to read the other books first to understand it.
awgusteen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
aaaaaaaah
Drew Graham
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Lemony Snicket is at a loss after the his run-in with and the subsequent disappearance of the mysterious and notorious villain Hangfire. Buildings in the dilapidated town of Stain'd-By-The-Sea are catching fire, and librarians are taking the blame. Apprentice sleuth Lemony Snicket knows that the hip and literary Dashiell Qwerty must be innocent, but that means he'll have to find out who the arson really is, and not only that, but where they'll strike next, and try to prevent their wicked deeds. ...more
Matt Raymond
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve been trying to read one of these a year to stretch out this short series, and since the year is almost over (THANK GOD) I needed to get this finished. The third book has an incredibly brisk pace, full of quirkiness & is exciting with just a little bit of danger. Perfect for young readers, and enough adult references to keep the stories alive for some time.

Shouldn’t You be in School? has a lot going on. It’s a complicated Noir-ish story where the Department of Education asks S. Theodora
Sierra
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent continuation. Lemony Snicket (whoever and wherever he is) is a talented writer.
Jocelyn
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jocelyn by: Connie Kuntz
The Nooks of Books: "Shouldn't You Be in School?" 1 7 Jan 28, 2015 04:00AM
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • The Fir Tree
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Chew, Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders
  • Bag in the Wind
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • Fibble: The Fourth Circle of Heck
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • The Book of Days
  • La Profecía Imperfecta (Tiempo de Dragones, #1)
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Young Frank, Architect
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • The Case of the Girl in Grey (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #2)
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • Howl's Moving Castle, Vol. 2 (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comics, #2)
  • Girl Detective (Friday Barnes #1)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

All the Wrong Questions (4 books)
  • Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions, #1)
  • When Did You See Her Last? (All the Wrong Questions, #2)
  • Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (All the Wrong Questions, #4)
“You don't spend your life hanging around books without learning a thing or two.” 85 likes
“You cannot wait for an untroubled world to have an untroubled moment. The terrible phone call, the rainstorm, the sinister knock on the door—they will all come. Soon enough arrive the treacherous villain and the unfair trial and the smoke and the flames of the suspicious fires to burn everything away. In the meantime, it is best to grab what wonderful moments you find lying around.” 32 likes