Start by marking “The Gravity of the Affair (Daedalus)” as Want to Read:
The Gravity of the Affair (Daedalus)

The Gravity of the Affair

(Daedalus #1.5)

Before his victory at the Nile.

Before his scandalous personal life made headlines.

Before he crushed the French and Spanish fleets at Trafalgar.

Before he died a martyr.

Horatio Nelson, England's greatest naval hero, assumed his first command, the 12-gun brig HMS Badger, at the tender age of 20. History tells us his first voyages as captain were unremarkable. Yet in the Known
ebook
Published December 6th 2013 by NLA Digital Liaison Platform LLC (first published December 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity of the Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gravity of the Affair

Start your review of The Gravity of the Affair (Daedalus)
Carmen
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Daedalus Fans
After reading The Daedalus Incident , I read this novella by Martinez that takes place in the same universe. It simply provides you with a backstory to the Horatio Nelson character - a minor character - in the Daedalus Incident.

There's not anything amazing about it, it's just another glimpse into the 1779 universe of sailing ships traveling through space with the aid of alchemy. It's not necessary to read this in order to enjoy Daedalus , which is much stronger than this.
Richard Derus
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 happy stars of five

Michael J. Martinez, sailpunk inventor, graces the digiverse with this novella of Horatio Nelson's earliest command, the HMS Badger! Read all about it at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud!
Beth Cato
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, historical, science
This is a novella set in Martinez's Daedalus series, a mix of science fiction and historical fantasy. This work is completely set in the historical fantasy side, depicting Horatio Nelson on trial for a battle gone very wrong. This is a British Empire where alchemically-powered frigates fly through space. I love how Martinez mixes in real history with his magicked world, especially in the fine details with how the ships operate. Yes, I'm a detail geek. The stuff fascinates me.

This is definitely a
Ron
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Take two parts naval adventure tale, one part historical fiction, mix in magic/unknown science and set the tale in a world where the American Revolution is being played out on moons of Jupiter with Nelson being the main character and you have The Gravity of the Affair. Well actually that is just the setting. The meat of the tale is figuring out why Nelson followed the frigate into the depth of space. Read the tale and find out. Then go on to read the rest of the story in the Daedulas series. I w ...more
Joe Frazier
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-history
The Gravity of the Affair is a gem of a novella placed in the alternate setting of the Known Worlds in which ships of the line fly as easily between planets in our solar system as they ply the seas of earth on the basis of practical alchemical science. Mr. Martinez created this setting in The Daedalus Incident (about which more here) in which Nelson has a cameo role. The novella is a delightful look at Nelson’s first command (in this alternate universe), a brief encounter with a Ganymede (equiva ...more
Todd Gutschow
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I've always liked novellas in a book series...esp. when it coincides with the current book. In this case it does and the novella fits in quite nicely.
Estott
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you've read The Daedalus Incident this short book fills in an entertaining bit of backstory
Kevin
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was an excellent follow-up to the author's first book, The Daedalus Incident.

The science fiction/fantasy aspect so prominent in the first novel was less pronounced here. The focus was on the protagonist, Horatio Nelson. Or, more properly, a Horatio Nelson placed into an alternate history.

The premise is promising: place a well known historical (and real) British naval hero of the 18th century into an alternative universe, and use that person's well know character and flaws to propel the st
Robert
Keith Berson
Jul 08, 2014
Nathaniel
Mar 19, 2014
I’m a husband, father and writer living the dream in the Garden State. I’ve spent nearly 20 years as a professional writer and journalist, including stints at The Associated Press and ABCNEWS.com. After telling other people’s stories for the bulk of my career, I’m happy that I can now be telling a few of my own creation.

When not being a husband, parent or writer, I enjoy beer and homebrewing, cook

Daedalus (3 books)
  • The Daedalus Incident (Daedalus #1)
  • The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
  • The Venusian Gambit (Daedalus #3)