Start by marking “The Midas Touch: World mythology in bite-sized chunks” as Want to Read:
The Midas Touch: World mythology in bite-sized chunks

The Midas Touch: World mythology in bite-sized chunks

(Para Quem Tem Pressa #2)

This authoritative and fascinating introduction to the legends of history will reintroduce readers to the cyclopes, Minotaur and centaurs of the Ancient Greeks, as well as shedding light on the wider world of mythology.

The Midas Touch includes a stunning array of fascinating tales and gets to grips with the ancient stories of Aboriginal, Sumerian, Egyptian, Mesoamerican,
Published September 26th 2013 by Michael O'Mara

To ask other readers questions about The Midas Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midas Touch

Start your review of The Midas Touch: World mythology in bite-sized chunks
maram ☂︎
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
book #1completed for The Reading Rush:

I was thoroughly entertained and enlightened,
Sprinkled with unexpected texts of information,
Coupled with nervous waves of laughter,
I gasped in horror,
This is world mythology in bite-sized chunks.
100/100

///

THE READING RUSH

challenge #1: Read a book with purple on the cover.

This seems like such a random book for me to read but it's smol and I know it would be sitting on the bookshelf collecting dust if it were not for such readathons

also, add me on the reading
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
--2/5 stars--

This was most certainly bite-sized, though I'm not sure "world mythology" is the description I'd use for this. Overall, it was partially fascinating--if a little brief--and definitely the epitome of the expression, "oh, huh."

I'd recommend this for anyone who has just been introduced to mythology of any sort.
Renae
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another score for the ye olde saying Don't judge a book by its cover.
What seemed to be a pithy introduction to world mythology was regrettably rife with errors. I don't know what I was expecting since I already suspected that the author was not an expert on world mythology.

Anyway, aside from the fact that some cultures' myths (Indian, for example) were excluded, the myths covered in the book had factual errors.

I was only privy to this because the "bite-sized chunks" of information were not quite
Alison
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Super generic, kind of poorly written, and cites Wikipedia as a source, so. At least the cover is pretty.
Joanna (wordsrmyweapon)
2.75 stars I enjoyed this. I probably would have liked it more if I was younger and just getting into mythology. I’ve been reading bits of this book for years but I finally decided to read the other sections of this book just so I could take it off my tbr shelf
Lara
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short and quick read provides some useful insight into different mythologies and their origins. As the titlr states, it really is in bite-sized chunks and provides easy to read and grasp summaries of the vast mythologies of the world.
Charlotte Lisbon
A short collection of world mythology also known as a short collection of rape and incest stories
Tilly (The Biblioshelf)
This was the perfect book to pick up during the 'I-don't-know-what-to-read-next' phase most of us readers go through from time to time. Each section was short and digestible which means that it's great for a quick read. I'm not new to mythology so most of the stories and names were familiar. Quite a few of them were creation myths from different time periods. I liked the way the book was broken down into each of the different civilisations and the diagrams and tables were nice asides as well.
Nikki
A *very* brief peak at some of the main tenets of world mythology. It doesn’t touch on large amounts of the world (nothing African or Russian for example), and what it does touch on seems to be a gross over simplification, based on the ones I do know about. Having said all that however, what is there is easy to understand and does provide a pretty basic grasp of things.
Jonathan Martin
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
It looks like a concise, fun exploration of the many myths and legends from our diverse ancient cultures, although it would've been nice to have Indian and Celtic myths included. There isn't a lot of detail here but it's a good introduction and overview of the many myths of our ancient world. It all feels a little rushed though, with some glaring errors in syntax. The author also writes, in the chapter on Sumerian mythology that this civilization made no mention of the Sun or solar system yet ...more
Henrietta Barrett
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, brief overview of some of the main names and stories in world mythology. I would have liked more detail and more stories, but it's given me an idea into which myths I want to research into more myself.
Clare
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manu Farias
Me yet again reading another compilation of mythology stories? It’s more likely than you think.
Zarina
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love legends and mythologies and after recently devouring Norse Mythologies by Neil Gaiman I'd been keen to discover more stories from cultures and countries outside of the well-known Greek and Roman tales. This book provides a bite-sized insight into stories from Aboriginals, Aztecs and more and there are certainly some very fascinating characters and myths touched upon, but that's all they were: touched upon. It felt like reading the first paragraph of Wikipedia articles on the stories in a ...more
Kirsten Dent
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent light read to pass some time and absorb some interesting snippets of information. Recommended if you're looking to learn a little more about world mythology but not sure where to start. It's not very detailed but due to the title I didn't expect it to be.
Ingrid
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An okay read I'd say.
i love mythology but this was just not my kind of writing style, so it felt off.
Mafruha Rashid
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very fun quick read.
Jess ✩
This was an alright read which I pretty much expected. It was quick and interesting but eh.
Fatima
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I probably should have guessed that it would be this bad after reading Wikipedia as a source in the author’s bibliography before starting. To be honest, that made the entire book hard to believe. How would I know if any of these ancient civilizations believed in these myths and legends?
vaika
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, 2019
I quite enjoyed reading this as I have learned quite a few things from this book, it’s like a mini Wikipedia - it has the basis of what you want to know. This book allowed me to find out more about other mythologies that I had not knew about before and intrigued me to find out more about i.e. the Norse Mythology and the stories about the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas and how their tribes are close to or are extinct due to the Spanish explores taking over their lands and tribes. However, Greek ...more
Dru Williams
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good way to learn about the major points of each form of mythology. Most people know about Greek and Norse mythology, but you will find interest in other stories from different parts of the world. This is a good overview if you are wanting to learn the basics of the worlds mythology.
Jules.Bookverse
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I wanted to read this book for soo long and finally got to it! :)

There is so much history with mythical legends and tales of past heroes/heroines and gods/goddesses, but to read about everything it would take up such a lot of time. I liked that this book gave a bit of an overlook about all the different mythologies and noted the most common or most important characters and stories.

So all in all, it's great if you just start out getting into mythologies and see what there is. but also great for
Mitchell
A quick read going over the general mythologies of different ancient civilization.

Overall though I felt it quite frequently mentioned random facts of each rather than an overall arch or overview which would have been better. I'd have rather had a bit more detail about each god instead of random stories from the mythos.
Quinn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Not ground breaking, perhaps the bites are a bit small but a reasonable introduction to some of the mythology of the world. If you want to understand some of the names in Harry Potter better this is a good reference book.
Cecillie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
I got this book, like some others, with my May Fairyloot box. I thought it looked like a funny little book, but didn't really have any great expectations.
Amazingly, not even my low expectations were met. I think the tone of the book is confusing. Most of the time it's fairly serious, as one would expect, but then Daniels throws in these weird (and slightly inappropriate/disrespectful, in my opinion) jokes. It's clear that more time has been spent on certain religions in comparison to others. An
Femke
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5 stars!

This book was quite a disappointment. The premise sounded very interesting, but the execution was definitely lacking. I am quite happy that there was also quite some information about lots of different mythologies across the world, but nonetheless I am still disappointed that the majority of the book was made up of the (same old, same old) Greek and Roman mythology you see in every book. I would have liked for the focus to be on something else for a change.

In addition to this, most
Joséphine (Word Revel)
From the title, it's abundantly clear that the goal of the book is to present a brief overview of mythology from around the world. In that regard, that's precisely what this book is. However, individual myths were summarised in extremely broad strokes, generalising to the point that reading this book felt redundant. Despite acknowledging that the native tribes of America as well as Australia were a multitude, their mythology was flattened on an even plain, barely referring to the tribes from ...more
Briony
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good book for those who want a brief overview of many mythological paths. I loved reading about the Greek gods and how they are related and what they did. There are some spelling and sentence structure mistakes throughout the book which are hard to be overlooked but can be if you try hard enough. (there are a lot more than the usual book despite it not being that long of a book)
With a variety of myths being told in various different ways, this book usually only touched on one way.
Danielle Miceli
Not even close to a comprehensive anthology or guide (nor does it claim to be), but good for novices to the genre, looking to fast track some mythology basics. As I am definitely an amateur in a few of the cultures represented within this book (I knew extremely little on Australian and Maori myth, for example), I appreciated the chance to sample their most circulated stories. I did even learn a handful of new details/tidbits about some mythologies I am *thoroughly* familiar with, as well. The ...more
Bode  Cauthon
The book itself was well written and easy to read. It was vastly entertaining and of course some of the subject matter is horrifying but that's to be expected with mythology. What I did not like was all the factual errors. Knowing mythology as well as I do it's not that big of a deal but it's not a book I would hand off to my kid and say "hey familiarize yourself with this." I would def have to direct them to other more accurate sources. But other than that I enjoyed reading it, it only made me ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Paris'te Bir Osmanlı Sefiri: Yirmisekiz Mehmet Çelebi'nin Fransa Seyahatnamesi
  • Adolphe Monod
  • Ten Billion
  • Da Arte da Guerra
  • 1889
  • Prisioneiros da mente: Os cárceres mentais
  • O Livro dos Espíritos
  • Guerra Civil
  • 1822
  • All the Wandering Light (Even the Darkest Stars, #2)
  • A Short History of England
  • Dog Is Love: Why and How Your Dog Loves You
  • İran Masalları
  • Asılacak Kadın
  • Kısas-ı Enbiya
  • Judge Dredd: Mechanismo
  • Ruh Adam
  • Wasteland (Children of D'Hara, #3)

Para Quem Tem Pressa (9 books)
  • The History of the World in Bite-Sized Chunks
  • A história do Brasil para quem tem pressa: Dos bastidores do descobrimento à crise de 2015 em 200 páginas! (Para Quem Tem Pressa, #3)
  • A história da ciência para quem tem pressa: De Galileu a Stephen Hawking em 200 páginas!
  • The 20th Century in Bite-Sized Chunks