Start by marking “Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares

Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares (The Invincible Iron Man (2008) #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  5,270 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
Collects Invincible Iron Man (2004) #1-7. Tony Stark - Iron Man, billionaire industrialist and director of S.H.I.E.L.D. - faces the most overwhelming challenge of his life. Ezekiel Stane, the son of Tony's late business rival and archenemy Obadiah, has set his sights, his genius and his considerable fortune on the task of destroying Tony Stark and Iron Man.
Published March 18th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1

Alejandro
Bold story arc to start the title

I got this in its single issues but I chose this edition to be able to do a better overall review.

I AM IRON MAN

This title was a kinda of "reboot" of the ongoing Invincible Iron Man doing it as a smart marketing strategy to take advantage of the huge success of the first live-action film of Iron Man.

So, the title gets a treatment of #1 numbered issue "starting" again the title to encourage new readers to get into the comic books of Iron Man, and...

...it worked
Jeff
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads
This may or may not have been a buddy read with my bestest pal, Anne. I've lost track.

Tony Stark painted his original grey armor yellow because the grey one was scary and it made some kid cry. If that happened in his current capacity as director of SHIELD, he’d lock the little crybaby away in the Negative Zone for twenty years.

And he makes little kids cry

Crazy dads and even crazier kids. Obadiah Stane, bald, Iron Monger, dead because of Tony Stark (sort of). Ezekiel Stane, his son, not bald, gen
Kemper
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, comics, superhero
The 5 nightmares of Tony Stark:

1) Running out of WD-40.
2) Getting the blue screen of death in mid-flight.
3) Having a bad case of food poisoning kick in and not being able to get out of the armor before a very unpleasant incident occurs.
4) Paternity lawsuits.
5) Robert Downey Jr. decides to quit playing Iron Man in the movies.

OK, actually the five nightmares that Tony tells us about in the narration of this mostly revolve around the loss of control of the Iron Man technology. Unfortunately, Ezekie
Anne
Buddy read with The Jeff.
His review is *sigh* better than mine, so you may want to check it out.

*There may be some spoilers in this*

Anyway, this is a re-read for me, and I have to admit I wasn't as awe-struck this time around. My original rating was 5 stars, but I'm letting it stand, because this was such an awesome introduction to the character for me at the time.

The premise is that Tony has 5 Worst Case Scenarios buzzing around in the back of his mind, when it comes to his Iron Man tech.
And al
Scott
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of nice Tony / Pepper scenes in The Five Nightmares, and an especially effective final chapter featuring guest appearances by Peter Parker / Spider-Man and veteran reporter Ben Urich.
Sam Quixote
I’m not going to list exactly what the five nightmares of the title are because they’re kind of the same thing - basically, Tony loses control of the Iron Man tech, they proliferate, and it gets used for evil. And whaddayaknow? It comes true. The son of Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges in the first Iron Man movie) goes nuts like his dad and uses his genius to subvert Stark Tech, incorporate it into his body alongside Extremis and becomes a terrorist out to sink Stark Enterprises and kill Tony.

Matt F
Elham
Loved it!
I hadn't read anything from Matt Fraction before. I've heard loads of people praising him and I can see why. Looking forward to reading more from him!
Carlex
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and 1/2 stars

Iron "deus ex machina" Man no es uno de mis personajes Marvel preferidos, pero reconozco que el guion y dibujo de este tomo están bastante bien. Debería leer como continúa la serie para valorar debidamente el planteamiento de Fraction con el personaje.
Erik
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many fanboys – not to mention one or two Marvel Studios insiders – are placing bets that Fraction’s current run on the recalibrated Invincible Iron Man title will prove to be the inspiration, if not the literal basis, for the Iron Man sequel that’s slated to begin filming in the next year. And if this first volume collecting the initial seven issues are any indication, that would be a sweet thing indeed.

Other than selling-out to the Feds in last year’s Civil War event, as well as experiencing a
Jesse A
Meh. 2.5 stars.

Reread I enjoyed this one more this time around. I don't necessarily love Tony as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. but still a good volume.
Ben
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just wrote reviews of volumes 1 and 2 of Cassanova and am starting to feel my enthusiasm for Matt Fraction become tainted by the fact that everything I read of his is so freaking good. Seriously, the guy can't be that much older than me and manages not only to write the best "small press-anything goes-cause hey, we're making art-style" books on the market but also comes into the Marvel Universe and just completely houses. The man single-handedly pulls me back to a non-Morrison or Whedon-X-men ...more
Gavin
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was my 2nd time reading this, the beginning of the Invincible Iron Man series written by Matt Fraction. I think I underestimated it before...this is the beginning of what turns out to be quite a series. Here Ezekiel Stane, yes, son of that Stane, uses old Stark tech to set off suicide bombers all over the world, and the only way Tony can stop him ends up starting his own downward spiral. Also featuring Spider Man in an appearance when he's actually a wanted criminal (Registration Act)...A g ...more
Sonic
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a blast! Superb writing and absolutely brilliant art! Highly recommended to those not averse to the ol' superhero genre! This was an exciting read, takes off nicely from roughly where the first "Iron Man" film ends. I am tempted to give this 5 stars as I enjoyed it so much, but I am trying to reserve 5 stars for more "life changing" books.
hidefan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Las cinco pesadillas es el primer arco de una nueva colección protagonizada por Iron Man que supuso como un nuevo comienzo del personaje. Después de un renovado interés gracias a Civil War, el inminente estreno de su adaptación cinematográfica llevó a Marvel a pensar, con acierto, que mucho lector casual querría zambullirse en las aventuras de Tony Stark y qué mejor que hacerlo con una historia muy accesible que pudiera disfrutar cualquiera que hubiera visto la primera entrega de la trilogía con ...more
Chelsea
This was such an amazing run for Iron Man. Fraction's take on Tony Stark is honestly one of the best I've read. Pepper Potts is given amazing depth and characterization and she's definitely not what you'd consider a background character. I'd recommend anyone to give this a shot.
Gustavo
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
A Fraction y Larroca les dieron la tarea de hacer un título de Marvel que tuviera más o menos el mismo "ambiente" de las películas, y este es el resultado. Si bien hay algunas cosas un poco distintas a las pelis, como que Stark es bastante más serio, Fraction cumple con el objetivo y, además, nos entrega una historia con muy buen ritmo y un villano que realmente parece una amenaza para Iron Man. Larroca es un excelente dibujante, a pesar de algunos momentos en donde el dibujo es un poco flojo.
P Fosten
Aug 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Erik Larsen ruined this for me. Well, not directly but just something he said recently on Twitter. He was talking about his comic 'The Savage Dragon' and how as it was set in real time, he had no time to waste. Everything had to move plot and/or character forward.

So that was very much in my head when reading this. And it's true even if your character isn't in real time. Everything should be moving plot and/or character forward and this.... doesn't. Matt Fraction has a good story here about Tony
Sridhar Reddy
Matt Fraction's Eisner Award-winning Iron Man series takes a page from the wonderful film adaptation in that the story is more about Tony Stark and less about the Iron Man. Fraction crafts wonderfully complete characters and writes with a contemporary wit that thankfully does not rely upon pop-culture references.

'Invincible Iron Man' is a solid bit of work with just enough polemics and geopolitics to make it relevant. In particular I enjoyed an exchange of dialogue where Stark conducts a buyout
Brad
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
This second Iron Man title is the closest thing to the movie Marvel's publishing, and it's great. Tony Stark takes on Ezekiel Stane, the son of the movie villain, who's outfitting terrorists with Iron Man-like suicide bombs. The science doesn't make that much sense (our bodies are giant batteries that can be exploded, I guess), but it's lots of fun.
The only things holding this back from all five stars are the occasionally annoying art--the coloring on Salvador Larroca's faces sometimes looks we
Ryan Loveless
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When deciding to read some Iron Man books after Robert Downey, Jr. knocked the character out of the park in the Avengers-related films, I went to one of my favorite authors first (with Warren Ellis's "Extremis"), and then on to Matt Fraction's run, which, as of my writing of this review, still continues.

I've got to agree with what many folks have said in reading this first volume of Fraction's run: It takes all the best elements of the Iron Man films and adds a little more to make this one a fin
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
So I wouldn’t be reading this if it weren’t for two things:

1. Fraction’s run on Hawkeye & Sex Criminals
2. RDJ's representation of Iron Man in the Marvel cinematic universe.

… & on the basis of that criteria, I was pleased enough with this (mainly b/c this is clearly influenced by MCU). Stark is still not as interesting a character to me as others in the Marvel Universe, but enough is done with him here to make you want to keep reading – difficulties in converting Stark Industries into hu
Andrew
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing is on par with the rest of Fraction's early Marvel stuff, which means its solid and a little bit more thoughtful than a lot of mainstream comics writing, but not yet up to the levels he'd later reach with Hawkeye, The FF, or Sex Criminals. My biggest problem with this book is Salvador Larroca's art, which is aggressively, offensively ugly. Characters' faces look like they're made out of silly putty, and their clothes hang suspended over them like a paper doll's clothing. Plus, everyb ...more
Tarique Ejaz
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tony Stark is the director of the most dangerous and highly efficient espionage organization in the world. He now pilots an Iron Man armor that has been rendered to the next level of bleeding edge technology - Extremis. He has a lunatic genius who is proficient in utilising human body and Stark's own technology as a fatal mean in his attempt to destroy him.

Thrilled already? If so, do not resist reading this masterpiece. Showcasing the nightmares that the Iron Avenger struggles against each day a
Matt
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good comics.

** Yeah, I should say more.

This does what a comic book about a guy flying around in a suit of armour should do. Fraction's scripts are lean with just enough characterization and action to make both vital and a glimpse into the mind of one of the world's smartest men that's exciting and a bit scary. Larocca's found, with this series, a mix of his big-booby cartoonyness of his X-Men and FF work and his too-photo-referenced work of newuniversal. Great stuff and I'm jonesing for the next
Jack
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Really dug all aspects of this book. Even though Iron Man is basically the big jerk of the Marvel Universe after all the Civil War stuff, this title made me really appreciate the complexity of the character -- what he stands for, why he supports the things he does (like the Registration Act), and how trying valiantly to balance the good with the necessary torments him. Character-wise, this is great stuff. Combine this with a tense storyline featuring super-suicide bombers and you've got a real w ...more
Du4
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very enjoyable. Probably the first Iron Man volume I'd hand someone who wanted to read Iron Man after seeing the movie. Fraction does a great job looking at the immediacy of terrorism and its evolution when technology like Stark's hits the market. If this is indicative of the rest of Fraction's run, I'll have to pick up future volumes.

Larroca's art, as always, stuns. He definitely ups the ante when it comes to technological drafting and the like, a hallmark of Iron Man stories. The question real
Don
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Matt Fraction continues to impress; his understanding of Tony Stark's complex psyche is astounding, multifaceted and sobering. Larroca's art is likewise gorgeous, whether he's rendering humans or any of the ubiquitous and varied Stark tech around. I had drifted away from Iron Man because I wasn't sure if the character was all that interesting anymore; I'm happy to say that Fraction and Larroca have changed my mind. Enormously.
Kim
This is a nice intro to the comics world of Iron Man off of the movie. It subtlely reworks some of comics canon, or at least selectively chooses it in order not to confuse movie Iron Man fans. I liked the story, especially the Tony/Pepper moments. It works as a sequel to the movie, for fans who need more.
Drew The Reviewer
This was fricking amazing. I didn't expect the plot of this to be so climatic and well written. The villain in this is so evil and I loved him. Marvel should consider putting him in the next standalone Iron Man film. This absolutely gets 5 stars for having a really great story.
Does Iron Man even make sense? 5 22 Feb 17, 2014 06:30AM
  • Civil War: Iron Man
  • Iron Man: Execute Program
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction

The Invincible Iron Man (2008) (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 2: World's Most Wanted, Book 1

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)