Start by marking “The Blacksmith's Son” as Want to Read:
The Blacksmith's Son

The Blacksmith's Son

Captain Quentin Drake returns home after his Naval commission ends to find a young groom being beaten in the village stables. Weary from his travels, Quentin only wants a good night's sleep, but refuses to turn a blind eye to the lad's mistreatment. He intervenes, taking the lad to his room, only to discover a woman masquerading as a boy.

After Ally Lockwood's family dies,
Published November 25th 2013 by Entangled: Flirt

To ask other readers questions about The Blacksmith's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blacksmith's Son

Farrah
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely little novella, The Blacksmith's Son was an enjoyable read. Romantic and full of secrets, this novella was a wonderful read.

Ally was a great heroine. Having been falsely accused of stealing from her employer after seeing him with his knife embedded in a dead man's chest, she went on the run and hid to avoid being arrested. However, in this case, not all was as it seemed....but I'm not going to give away those secrets. I really liked Ally. She was a tough woman. My one complaint was that
Julie
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Blacksmith's Son by Rebecca Thomas is a Entangled publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When Quentin discovers a youth being beaten, he intervenes. The boy is knocked out, but Quentin carries him home and gets the shock of his life when he finds that the boy is a girl. A very beautiful girl that loves horses and is hiding a dark secret. When people show up looking for Ally, Quinton knows the girl is in some kind of trouble. Is Ally on the run for a
Jonel
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is uniquely set in the time period in question. It both conforms with and goes against the times. Thomas walks a line to make this a very unique novella that keeps you thinking and guessing. I must also say that I never expected the novel to end the way that it did. Thomas’ emotional, hard, and real descriptions set the novella apart from the rest and draw you in to the action and reactions within.

Character development in this novella is restricted primarily to the main characters in
Lindsay
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
The ending was super anticlimactic.
Jessica
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-review, arc
By now you know I can’t resist a historical romance and when I read the synopsis to Rebecca Thomas’ novella and saw that it involved a female character disguising herself as a boy, my interest was piqued.

As for characterization, we have good character development within the confines of a novella. Ally Lockwood is feisty and isn’t afraid of hard work. She disguises herself as the son of a blacksmith and is biding her time before she can leave the country. The reason? She’s been accused of stealin
Sapphyria
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
All Al wanted to do was stop the suffering of a colt with a shattered leg when its owner, an Earl, roughs him up. Captain Quentin Drake walks into the stables to house his own horse when he sees the Earl fling a young boy across the floor. Intent on helping, Quentin Drake steps up and takes matters into his own hands. After the Earl walks away from the fight, Quentin scoops up the lad and takes him to the local inn to make sure he's cleaned up and fed. Quentin takes to removing the boy's wet clo ...more
Angie
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, read-2013
The Blacksmith's Son is a cute, Historical Romance novella with a twist. It's all about Ally, a young woman who is on the run from an evil earl. She's also the titled blacksmith's son. She's living as a boy, so she can work as as stable boy and earn a living for herself and her brother. One night, she's out in the stables to put a colt out of its misery, when that same evil earl finds her and beats her for tampering with his property. Captain Quentin Drake stumbles upon the scene, saves Ally, ta ...more
Kristin (These Pretty Words)
Originally reviewed on These Pretty Words.

Romantic and mysterious, The Blacksmith’s Son will quench your thirst for a little historical love story.

When Captain Quentin Drake returns to England, the last thing he expects to find is a beautiful woman masquerading as a blacksmith’s assistant…and son. Alexandra Lockwood’s luck seems to be firmly in the bad category. First she sees a crime that forces her to run away from her home and job, and then she’s hunted after being falsely accused of thievery
R.J. Garside
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and honestly, I am not a huge historical fan. It was a very quick read and I found myself pulled into the story immediately. The writing was crisp, concise and intriguing. As for the plot, I was genuinely surprised with the twists and turns of the plot. The mystery was well preserved and the romance was steamy.

I loved the heroine, Alexandra Lockwood, and her motivation. After being falsely accused of stealing from her employer and witnessing a stabbing, she goes into
Tracey
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
First off I'm not big on historical drama, but as this was a shorter read I decided to give it a try and I liked it.

Ally is a strong woman, very independent and scared too, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now on the run and in disguise.

Captain Drake, injured in warfare is travelling home when he comes upon a stable lad being beaten, not one to ignore something like that he steps in and saves the lad.

Captain Drake is in for a pleasant surprise though, one that will consume him
Melissa Kendall
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit I don't read a lot of historical's but something about the blurb of this one had me intrigued. I'm glad I got a chance to read it because it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I loved Quentin's persistence without being overbearing and i loved the way Ally submitted with out losing the strong independent woman she is.

From the first page it had me enthralled and I had a hard time putting it down. Good thing it is a novella or I might never have gotten my housework done. :)

Overall I give this 4.5
Beverly
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:
Engaging story - wonderful characters - super fast read.
I enjoyed the setting and loved the characters. The story is intriguing and well written. I found myself taken in my Ally's struggle and her indomitable spirit. I was thrilled by Quentin's personality and characteristics. The simmering romance keeps the pages turning while you twist through to a satisfying ending.
Tina
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
It was nice. Wish it were longer since the story has so much potential to be a full-length novel! But overall, it's good for a short. I was hoping for a tiny bit more action and steamy scenes, but it's hard to pack all of that in the story's timeline of a few days.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, books-to-review
another enjoyable novella...I read about 5 of these that are new from the Flirt line of Entangled. A little racy in some parts but a good story. I could see this developing even more into more than a novella, just so many ways to expand the story and explain a few more things.
Amyvoigtsgmail.com
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent storyline and loveable characters. Once I started reading, I could not put it down. I can't wait for the sequel!
Maria
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review Under BookJunkyGirls
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
I was hoping for a traumatized heroine story but that wasn’t what was happening here. Interesting set-up, but too short to fill in the holes in the backstory. And at 71 pages, it’s pretty much just straight insta-lust. I liked the premise but again, just too short, and the ending felt kinda anticlimactic (2.5 stars)
Donna
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Captain Quentin Drake has returned from ten years at sea. He was wounded during the war and needs time to rest. After buying a horse he takes to the stables for the night before he takes off for home. When he enters the stable he comes across his once upon a time would be brother in law beating a young boy. His heart is so good he intervenes and takes the unconscious boy to his room for care. While in town he meets a woman who is in need of help although she won’t admit it and he becomes enthral ...more
Sweets Books
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

It's a short but fast paced story with lots going on in it! All questions get answered and it covers quite bit of ground while telling the story! It keeps you interested and just sucks you in to it. I ended up finishing it in 2 hours!

Quentin ~ He was such a big old softy when it came down to it! He, I do believe feel for Ally the moment he figured who she was and only ended up falling even more head over heels for her as the story progresses. He doesn't think when it comes to her, he just acts a
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute short story. I would of liked to know more about Ally's family and certainly more about her deceased fiancée. But since it's a novella there's no room. I wasn't thrilled about the "villian". He should of been a clear cut villian instead of a quasi misunderstood earl.

I did like the bath scene. Haha.
Rumpled Sheets Blog
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
A quick, enjoyable and beautiful story.

The characters are very lovable.

The story is a truly and captivating breath of fresh air.

≧◔◡◔≦ 5 ✰ read ≧◉◡◉≦

>>>ARC received in exchange for an honest review<<<
Beth Thomas
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Lisa

Very short but surprisingly good.
Boone Brux
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Who doesn't love a heroine disguised as a boy? It's always one of my favorite twists and this book kept me turning the pages.
Griffinyarn
rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2013
Mada
Dec 29, 2013
Rebecca Thomas enjoys a love-hate relationship with Alaska. She lives there with her husband and sons. When she isn’t reading, writing, or playing board games, she can be found taking long walks in the woods dreaming up her next story.

A reluctant reader as a child, she didn’t become interested in books until her teen years when she discovered historical romance. Now she loves all sub-genres of rom