Start by marking “Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series #1)

Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series #1)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  1,066 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
The beginning of the Coulson Empire, 1918:

Mary Ellen’s father didn’t trade her for a house–exactly. Marrying the wealthy and handsome Randall Coulson is not something Mary Ellen wants to do, but being the obedient daughter she agrees to the marriage.

Published December 4th 2013 by Robeth Publishing, LLC (first published November 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Coulson's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coulson's Wife

Pam
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coulson’s Wife is book one of the Coulson series. It is written by Anna J. McIntyre. It is a very good book and easily read in one or two extended sittings. Have that Kleenex handy though. The characters are completely believable and very well described. The setting is Philadelphia beginning in 1819.
Mary Ellen Browning was the only daughter of Sally and Edward who had ten other children, all boys. Her father had arranged her marriage to Randall Coulson. Randall was looking for a wife and Mary E
Colleen
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I purchased this book free this morning, and finished it this afternoon. The chapters were pretty short, and the story was something different for me to read, since I have been up to my eyeballs in textbooks for college.

I enjoyed this book, even though I wanted to hit the protagonist's husband a few times throughout it. The depictions of the periods in history in which the story takes place were pretty spot-on, although I don't think it was necessary to inform the readers of what was occurring a
RangerGirl
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Ashley Hillman
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a quick and engaging read look no further. Not your typical love story.. I loved the time-setting of this book. The author did a great job in adequately portraying the era. I found myself countless times comparing either present day to Mary Ellen's situation or placing myself in her shoes. This is definitely a book you will find yourself rooting for a particular outcome even when you sense it going into a different direction. If a dominating male is your fancy you won't fi ...more
Molly
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very bittersweet
Vicky
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is the first in a series about the Coulson family. Quick plot synopsis: young woman is forced by her father into a loveless marriage at the end of World War I. Her new husband has arranged the marriage with the hopes of having sons to carry on his legacy. She falls for her husband's best friend. She becomes pregnant by the friend but stays in the loveless marriage because she believes she has no viable alternative. Her husband tells her he is unable to love her the way she needs him t ...more
Ladory
Oct 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got this book for free, probably, on my kindle, so I can't complain too much. I've been reading, bit by bit, Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. That book is rather heavy and intense along with being very long. So I stop now and then and read something else much lighter. That's how I came to read Coulson's Wife. However, the writing in Coulson's Wife was so surfacey that I began to think it must be a young adult selection. I cannot believe it was written by TWO women.

This book started off
Virginia Bass
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Predictable With Interesting Surprises

A wonderful read!!! Engaging from the very beginning. I planned to simply preview the book to see if it would appeal to me for a future time. Instead, I was drawn in at the very beginning and continued to read until it was finished, a one day read. I found the book predictable, very predictable actually. Credit to the author because I kept reading, and reading, and reading. I was so engaged that I continued reading what I perceived as predictable. Even so, I
Shelly
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Free Kindle book - romance yes, but how she and he changes so quickly is sorta strange. Started off well, but then went too fast with change and life. Abruptly ended ... pace needs work. Liked the characters though and all in all for free...it was a good read for mindless vacation.
Asisa Miller
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!!

I have downloaded the entire Coulson series. I cannot wait to read the others. I couldn't put this book down. Great story line. Even though I secretly wished Mary Ellen and William would have eventually gotten married.
Teresa Myers
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series. The characters are all so well developed and I'm glad I chose to read this story.
JAX R.V
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coulson's Wife, is pretty interesting. I enjoyed reading it.
Grammy3
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew !

It will be hard to review this without slipping up and writing a spoiler. I detest spoiler reviews. Let me just say I thoroughly enjoyed this family saga. I found the characters believable. I felt their joys and sorrows. Now I must go and start the next book in this 5 book saga.
Sue
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the characters at the beginning but then it got shallow
Sue Henson
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading

Love, sadness, happiness, tragedy and life and war as it happens twists and turns to keep your interest. Good reading.
Debra
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Seventeen-year-old Mary Ellen doesn’t want to marry the aloof and formidable Randall Coulson. Her father has struck a deal, however, and since this is 1918, she has no say. While Mary Ellen endures a loveless marriage, she grows close to Randall’s business partner, William, who is everything Randall is not. Mary Ellen decides she wants to divorce Randal until her pregnancy changes plans.

Coulson’s Wife is a detailed portrayal of the frustrations and challenges women faced in a world where they we
Diana Shaffner
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story follows a young woman's life for over 30 years through times of much change and large scale historical events. The engaging story begins with a 17 year young lady having to accept being married of to a stranger of completely different socioeconomic status. Coming from a rural setting into a more diverse area she, most notably, witnesses firsthand the liberation of women ranging from voting rights to short hair, shorter skirts and cigarettes. Many chapters in this book jump 5 or more ye ...more
Pamela Fernandes
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't know this book was set up as a series,but I enjoyed reading it. I became invested in reading about Mary- Ellen's relationship with William. The end was nicely done but very anticlimactic.
It just closed off and probably secrets open in the next book. I would have loved to see more shades of human emotion in the relationships between Randall, William and Mary, wouldn't mind it being a longer novel, since so much is happening in the letters in the end. The meetings are brief, dinner, birth
Jean
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the Coulson Empire, 1918:
Randall Coulson wants Mary Ellen for one reason–to give him sons. He has no desire to form a bond of love or friendship with his young bride. His own heart is already taken.
A bittersweet story of love, lies and family secrets, taking place during
Kate Aaron
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon
I don't normally read American historical stories, but this one really caught my interest. Mary Ellen is forced into what is essentially an arranged marriage with a man she hardly knows. She's shipped off to the city, away from her family and the life she's always known, to be greeted by a cold and distant husband, and his charming and handsome best friend. The reason for Randall's indifference becomes clear by the end of the novel, and I can honestly say I felt for both of them. Coulson's Wife ...more
Pam
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Yolanda
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great story. Mary Ellen as a seventeen having to marry a man she didn't know and to move away from her family must have been hard. She didn't love her husband but found love with his best friend. Their loved each other till William died and Mary Ellen still loved him after death. It was just a shame that William never got to marry the woman that he loved for all those years. It also turned out that her husband had loved his best friend all those years to. Am glad that Mary Ellen and Willi ...more
Elizabeth Mackey
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Anna's books and this one is my favorite. I LOVED this book. I really enjoyed the historical part of it. I loved how she incorporated what was going on in that time period throughout the story. It made it seem more real. The main character, Mary Ellen, was married off to a man she didn't love or know but she found love and many complications that came along with that. The characters and their relationships seemed so real and each character evolved throughout the story. Anna di ...more
Kristen Caldwell
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good for a kindle freebie. Historical fiction that spans late 19th / early 20th century. Covers women's lib, the Great War, the roaring 20s, the Great Depression and prohibition and 21st amendment, ww2. Very believable for the times the way the characters acted and made decisions. Not a HEA per se but a realistic ending instead and good because of it's realism. Has a resolution for the MC and introduces MC for subsequent books in the series without a cliff for an ending. Well done.
Tilda
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, kindle-ebooks
An interesting story.
I liked the heroine and the man who adored her. I despised her husband and I'd love to smash his stupid head on a stone wall. I wondered about him. I guessed the truth concerning his behaviour, before it was revealed. Whatever he was, there was no excuse for his horrible ways.
I also hated her father. He acted just as dreadful as the husbamd.
The woman deserved a much better family (parental or by marriage) than the ones she had.
Linda
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the book as I feel that an arranged union/marriage is out of my realm of understanding today. That made it a little hard for me as well as the chauvenistic but fair minded husband. Hard for me to understand how you can be both.
Can't see a parent handing off their daughter under any circumstances though I know it has happened.

I have no desire to read the others in this series.
Jessica Rajs
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes, there were a few typos, but not nearly enough to ruin the story. I laughed a bunch, and even cried. The character development was fantastic. I really grew with them, especially Mary Ellen. I rarely connect with a book like this. If the 2nd book in the series had the same main characters, I'd be on board in a heartbeat, but it follows some of the side characters instead, so I don't think I am going to read it. Nonetheless, I highly recommend Coulson's Wife!
Miranda
This flighty romance was hidden under the guise of Historical Fiction. Granted, there was a smattering of historical purges (giving a mass amount of historically accurate information about the eras involved) throughout, however, that information, though somewhat relevant, did not make or break this story which was centered on a lust driven plot. Decent, short read, but should be labeled Historical Romance.
Natalya
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, bookbub
Was less predictable and a better work than description promised. It was refreshingly focused on how Hero and Heroine worked their odd marriage out, rather than the more expected why it fell apart. Had a slight goody goody feel to it at times, but was enjoyable quick read overall. I enjoyed the historical info of that era, but a saucier read along the same lines would be Amethyst by Mary Rose Hayes.
Gemma Hall
One of the saddest books I have read in a long time.
  • Emerald Desire
  • Kate (Come By Chance Mail Order Brides #4)
  • Mandy
  • Alma's Mail Order Husband (Texas Brides #1)
  • Gideon's Secondhand Bride (Six Brides for Six Gideons, #1)
  • The Captive
  • Journey of Hope
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • A Bargain For A Bride (Montana Passion #1)
  • Colleen (Mail-Order Brides Club #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Carol
  • The Day is a White Tablet
  • Gold Rush Brides: Emmy
  • With this Kiss
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#4)
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • Butterfly Lane (Firefly Hollow, #2)
  • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)

The Coulson Series (5 books)
  • Coulson's Crucible (The Coulson Series #2)
  • Coulson's Lessons (The Coulson Series, #3)
  • Coulson's Secret (The Coulson Series #4)
  • Coulson's Reckoning (The Coulson Series #5)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • To Believe (The Broken Roads #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Die For Me (For Me, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Knight Awakened (Circle of Seven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tied (Devil's Wolves, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The First Word (The Visionaries, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seduced by Sunday (The Weekday Brides, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99