Start by marking “Deadly Class #1” as Want to Read:
Deadly Class #1

Deadly Class #1

(Deadly Class (Single Issues) #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,017 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
It's 1987. Marcus Lopez hates school. His grades suck. He has no money. The jocks are hassling his friends. He can't focus in class, thanks to his mind constantly drifting to the stunning girl in the front row and the Dag Nasty show he has tickets to. But the jocks are the children of Joseph Stalin's top assassin, the teachers are members of an ancient league of assassins, ...more
Published January 22nd 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Class #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Class #1

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The artwork was absolutely stunning. The movement of the images was incredible and really added to the pacing of the story. I felt as though the story lacked a bit of development and I think it could have been a bit longer. I think it would've enhanced the story if a backstory would've been included. (We get a small backstory, but I didn't feel it was enough to grasp what was going on.) Either way, I'm very interested to see where this story goes and to learn more about the deadly class!
Nicolo Yu
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SXSW 2014. South by Southwest is an interactive, music and film festival in Austin, Texas and since Comixology has a major presence there this weekend, it gave some free books accessible to its subscribers as it launched some major initiatives. This is one of those books.

Reading the first issue of Deadly Class, I can already see that this is a departure from the science-fiction heavy superhero comics that I enjoy so much from Rick Remender. In fact, I could even describe this work as his most pe
Jessica Saylor
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
WARNING: This graphic novel contains some SERIOUS violence, sexual situations, drugs and foul language. NOT a young adult read.

I've really been looking forward to reading this graphic novel since I ordered it on Amazon a few weeks ago. The cover is absolutely fantastic, and I have not read many graphic novels before, so I wanted something with kind of an easy concept to get me into the genre again.

This didn't disappoint. I found it eerie, well written for its genre, and pretty jaw-dropping. The
James Flanagan
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The art style and movement in this graphic novel is superb and extremely well thought out. At first glance the concept of a secret school for assassins seems like something that has been explored over and over again in novels and comics over the years, but in this case 'Deadly Class' surprises you with this sinister, gruesome, action packed world that promises a roller-coaster of events and amazing dialogue. the characters become, as the comic progresses, more and more complex and intriguing and ...more
Elena
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Intersting story about a boy who gets picked up from the streets and joins a school for assassins. It is about being a outcast, living with anxiety and killing..

I'm in love with the color palette. And some of the pages, just wow. I just wish there was a bit more I could conect to, that is why I give it 4/5.
Kaleb
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, thriller, own
It could've been a bit longer. There was no build up to the story. It just went from one part to the next with no development in-between. But I like the idea of the story, so I'll pick up the next issue in the near future.
Halah Alsaleh
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3/5
The artwork was pretty awesome, amazing movement and you can feel the emotions.

But the story wasn't really my type. Too much violence and very disturbing acts, not that this was bad but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the cover made it seem. I don't think I'm going to continue the series.
Jojo
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cherry (_forevermint)
Insanity. I can't wait to watch the show.
Mariano Di Maggio
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Hogwarts for assassins? El primer TPB promete mucho y ya me gustaron un par de personajes.
Esto promete ponerse interesante. Image no falla loco!
Vladimir Jankovic
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would start this by saying this graphic novel is awesome!

Then I have to be sincere and say that if you describe this book as 'Teenage (and slightly older) school for assassins' you would be 100% correct. If I had read description like that before I read the book I wouldn't touch it with a long stick, so I was hoping you would trust me at the beginning and with that thought then confront the truth afterwards.

Yes, it is a school with tradition trying to teach these kids how to be honorable assas
Richard
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Deadly Class seemed like something I would've really liked. There's talk about punk rock, there's assassins and normally I'm okay with violent comics and context. Who doesn't like a violent, punk rock assassin?

I read through this book just to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything or that I didn't misjudge it, but my initial instinct was right, which is this is just not a book for me. I love the art and the style of it (the acid trip part is especially great), but I can't get passed most of t
Ryan Mishap
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I wanted to like this. The dark atmosphere of Reagan's 80's is recreated beautifully, along with the feelings of being the outsider and the freak--celebrated in today's culture, back then it was grounds for incarceration, internment in psychiatric facilities, and violence.

So much violence in this. Using hyperbolic violence and amorality to highlight the sins of an era can work, but it is easy to fall into becoming what you are attempting to highlight, Deadly Class falls into that trap, especiall
Lady Godiva
Nothing original. Orphan boy, gets admitted to a secret boarding school, everyone hates him, there are cliques, then there is this special girls.. Yada-yada-yada.
I'm not even saying it's Harry Potter with Assassins instead of magic. It's just what we have seen 9000 times in books, shows and movies about underdogs being admitted into special secret circles, and being secretly special and better than everyone else. Except this time it's with murder.
Art-work is pretty neat though.
Nayeomi
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
If you made a graphic novel out of Locke Lamora's mischievous beginnings, then you'd have this on your hands.
However, it's also very relatable to me who was already around in the 80s so it's a bit closer to home. Gonna keep reading this series.
Murry
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those dark and gritty comics. I loved the art style and it was fast paced. I really want to read volume 2 ASAP.
Irena
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very promising beginning, great art! Don't forget to read the Letters page :)
Ahmad
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I give this graphic novel 3.5
All I got to say it was a great graphic novel and I want to read volume two! :)
Siann
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow just wow. This book utterly impress and exceeded my expectations. I can’t fathom and express into words how brilliant this book is. Really you have to read it yourself. You can see the authenticity of the story and art work/ style. Definitely read it! There’s Whole lotta gore, lotta tripping on acid, lotta psychopathic maniacs.

There are a number of things that stand out in the graphic novel but I’ll talk about 2 things.

~ONE~
How personal this book is to the collaborators. It feels so real a
Ivy Au
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The use of different color themes throughout the pages is spectacular. The psychedelic scenes were literally brutal talent. The story kicks off about a young boy who is homeless with a thirst for revenge against the corrupt governor who put him in that situation and murdered his parents. There is mystery about his murderous past because he is somewhat of a psycho. The school for assasins is fun and colorful... a twist from the typical highschool cliches. Each character has a background story for ...more
Laela
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
これもサイン出来た!買いたかった時、定員は私に「テレビのキャストはサインするからあそこで買える」と言った。だからコミックを買って列に並んでて作家と演出家とキャストのサイン出来た!すごかったよ!みんなはとても優しかった!しかもコミックが大好きだった!話はとてもいいだよ!作家はこの生活を送って私は信じられる。
I was able to get this signed as well! When I went to go buy it (at Comic Con) the lady told me they were doing a signing just then and they were selling it where they were doing the signing. So I bought the comic and got in line so I was able to get the author (artist), the show's creator, and the entire main cast to sign it!! It was awesome! E
mara
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Think Hogwarts; but instead of witches and wizards, it's assassins from all different backgrounds - sons and daughters of murderers, crime lords, you name it. It's quick paced and violent, which might make this series less appealing to those that are light-hearted, but I absolutely loved it.The artwork is stunning, and the concept is fascinating - a boy, Marcus, who's been dealt the worst cards in life is taken in by Master Lin, the head of the academy, who sees potential in him. But with a fres ...more
Travis
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I grew up in the 80s and am the same age as all these crazy characters.

But, really, are they crazy? Okay, yeah, some of them.

For the most part we have regular kids stuck in extraordinary circumstances. I think this book completely nails the sense of alienation that many people have while growing up...I sure had that feeling.

Oh yeah. And the art, story, color, plot, etc. are amazing.
Lollern WinterLeaf
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this series lately. I originally saw the trailer and how it was being directed by the Russo brothers and now I can't put it down! It such an interesting touching story and to see other people comments on how they related to the books made it even better. Can't wait for the last and final book to come out on the 28th of August.
Jeff
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start and I am looking forward to reading more of the series. I love the 80's setting and how the nostalgia doesn't get in the way of the story. The time frame just adds a little flavor to the story which is perfect. this is a great book for people who loved Harry Potter but want something a little more adult.
Jeimy Cely
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Aún soy muy nueva leyendo novelas gráficas o comics. Y de lo poco que he leído este ha sido la que más me ha gustado. El arte, el manejo de color, la distribución de los paneles - en especial en las escenas de acción - me ha encantado.

Los personajes y lo poco que se conoce sobre ellos me han gustado mucho.
Jamie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5

Well, that wasn't for me. I didn't like the art style or writing. I found the dialogue/descriptions dull and the imagery messy. The only thing I liked was the initial concept of the story. And some of the characters are intriguing... but, the content was too much for me. I don't see myself continuing on with this series.
İris
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: çizgi-roman
mantık hatalarıyla dolu olmasına rağmen eğlenceli. kendini sevdiriyor. zaman zaman fazla sert ve ciddi olmaya çalışıyor ama yine de kafa dağıtmak için okunabilecek bir çizgi roman. 1988'de geçmesi de bir artı dönemin müziklerine ve politik durumuna-belki de gereğinden fazla-gönderme yapılıyor. arada circle jerks, the adolescents, the smiths görünce seviniyor insan.
Anais919
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gx, series
Loved this! I don't know why I love assassins so much but I do! I was 13 in 1987 and remember the music, the fashion and the hopelessness like it was yesterday. Can't wait to see what these misfits get up to next!
Kim
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beware those who know me. I’m about to tell you that I identified with this book so closely that they have verbatim appeared in my mind. Don’t be afraid. Or ...
  • Pretty Deadly #2
  • Rocket Girl #1
  • Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #2
  • The Wake #1
  • The Fade Out #1
  • Saga #16
  • Now You See Me
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
  • Hawkeye #15
  • Black Widow #10
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 4: Truants
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Deadly Class (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Deadly Class #2