Start by marking “The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman” as Want to Read:
The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman

The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman

Caralynne Hayman is angry and bitter over the abuse and death of her eleven-year-old daughter at the hands of a radical religious cult—The Children of Righteous Cain. So when her husband, a founding member of the cult, suffers a massive heart attack, Caralynne allows her husband to die.

Caralynne’s secret seems safe until Dayne MacFarland returns, determined to learn the t
Paperback, 1st, 322 pages
Published October 21st 2013 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas

To ask other readers questions about The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carole Brown I talked with a prosecutor and asked him to read the ending (court scene). He made a couple suggestions but, in all, thought it was correct and in…moreI talked with a prosecutor and asked him to read the ending (court scene). He made a couple suggestions but, in all, thought it was correct and in order. (less)

Michelle
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book starts well. It gripped me, drew me right and caught my attention with suspense and then tapered off a little towards the end. It’s a challenging and rewarding read with strong and interesting characters.
The reader is dropped directly into the centre of a Religious Cult and all of the ugliness that comes with that scenario. Your thinking will be challenged on a level of – how much of what you believe is truth and how much is just fabricated by humans?
Towards the end I found some very
Paula Vince
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To the outside world, they look like an innocent group minding their own business, but the Righteous Children of Cain is a religious cult with some terrible practices. Its leader, the corrupt and controlling Elder Simmons, is not used to resistance from anyone, especially when it comes to making all the marriage decisions of the community, and organising horrific 'breaking in' rituals for preteen girls.

Recently widowed Caralynne Hayman is a loving and incensed mother whose eldest daughter was ac
Joleen
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Much of this story was good and held my attention. However the execution of it was bothersome. The plot around this cult was very good, but the dialog was stilted and unbelievable.
Also, too many dangerous events Cara amazingly got out of every time just made it less enjoyable for me.
What bothered me right from the start ***some spoilers*** was that she basically allowed her husband to die by not handing him the medicine bottle intended to help his heart when he was having an attack at that mome
Susan Snodgrass
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a Christian fiction author whose name escapes me. I purchased it for .99 for my Kindle a month or more ago. I finally got around to reading it.

This was a very powerful book. Caralynne Hayman lives within an abusive and controlling religious sect. Even when her daughter is killed, she can't get away. But one day, she decides to take matters into her own hands. People are going to pay.

The book was very hard to read; so much pain and heartache within these women'
Alicia Woodard
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I actually won an autographed version of this book. It's a good thing I did because it is not one I would have ever chosen for myself. Yes, I know you should never judge a book by it's cover but I would have done just that. On the cover, there is a quote from JM Lewis, "Brown's technique in building suspense reads like a young Dean Koontz." I am not a fan of Dean Koontz so that would have turned me away from even sampling this one. In all honesty, it took me a while to really get into the book. ...more
Tammy Hall
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
his book was so unlike anything I had read before and I feel like I shall never encounter again. The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman touched me straight to my soul. I am not even completely sure how to explain it other than to say that if you are looking for a book that can grab your heart and your soul and twist them around until you have been made a believer in the unknown then this is the book for you. There is such a strong connection in this story of faith and what it means. Unfortunately fo ...more
C.
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible story. Carole Brown's writing grabs your attention and won't let it go. I was up until after four this morning finishing this book. I was so engrossed that I couldn't put it down.

The story itself is about two very difficult subjects, cults and abuse. The author takes it's reader inside of the life of Caralynne Hayman and her family. It's heartbreaking to learn what the women and children were subjected to in the Children of Righteous Cain. Even though this novel is fiction, it
Wanda
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Excerpt:

"What would you have done if you'd had the chance to choose something else?"

"Are you serious? I've never taken the time to think about could-be's and would-be's. As I said, there's not much since in wishing for what will never happen."

"But if you could have...?"

"I don't know. I'd mountain climb. Probably fly. Own my own private plane. Do rescue work."

"What else?" His interest spurred her on. How long had it been since she'd had someone to share nonsense with?

"I'd learn to parach
Nancee
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
A child's repressed anguish remains buried deep in her subconscious mind. As an abused adult, hatred surfaces for the self-righteous men in her religious cult. The beliefs taught are based on lies, not biblical principles. Women are trained to be wholly submissive, oftentimes being "broken in" for their wifely duties at a very early age, as young as thirteen. When her abusive husband dies from a heart attack, Caralynne Hayman is finally free of his vile and odious treatment, but the nightmares o ...more
Mary Hamilton
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was an uncomfortable book to read. The fact that such sects do indeed exist in our society today is what makes it difficult to read. The Sons of Righteous Cain is a religious community that tries to stay separate from the rest of the world. But as we see in the story, that goal is the only way the lecherous leader and his cronies can continue to operate. They keep tight-fisted control of the community with fear, lies and intimidation. But after the ways of the community result in the death ...more
Sara
When it comes to books, there are very few times I cry, but there were several moments in this one that I came close. With that said, I'll confess that I did shed a few tears as I finished it. The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is a book that drew me in to the story from the very first chapter, and I had to keep on going to find out what was going to happen next. From what I understand, this is Carole Brown's debut book. What I can say is, I was extremely impressed, and this book stayed with me ...more
Pegg
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-read
Manipulative, vile, twisted... all good descriptions of the mindset of those who lead a cult. This book is a gritty - not for the faint of heart - look inside. Adult subject matter prevails, and although it is all "off screen," much of it involves sex with underage girls. This is presented as the abominable act it is, but still not for the younger reader. There are also scenes depicting graphic violence against women.

So why read it?

This isn't past history. These groups exists now. Today. In the
Randy Kirk
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are like me, a big part of the reason for reading a novel is to get to know some new folks. The best at the craft of character development of the last 50 years might have been Stephan King. Carole Brown may not be quite to King's level in general, but has great gifting in her ability to make 4D characters. We even get some understanding of their spirit/soul.

The plot is very original, and I was never ahead of Brown as she spun out the complex mystery. On the other hand, she never confuses
Debbie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman" by Carole Brown was a hard book to read as it deals with spousal abuse and sexual abuse of both women and children. There is nothing wrong with the writing, just the subject is an emotional one! But it was a good book. I felt it described cult living and I hope none of my family and friends are ever put in a situation like Caralynne.

This book had me turning the pages to see what was going to happen. I was intrigued with the whole story.

This story is about wha
Mary-jo
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book on Goodreads it sparked my interest, so happy I won a signed copy. Caralynne Hayman is a courageous women thrown into an unimaginable situation. Brought up In a religious cult that treated women as property. Married to a man who beat her. A cult that trained young girls to be submissive wives. After her 11yr old daughter dies at the hands of these men and her husband while "breaking her in", Caralynne wants revenge and to get her younger daughters safely out of the cul ...more
Barbara Derksen
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The wonderful story of the Redemption of Caralynne Hayman begins in tragedy when a small child witnesses the murder of her mother at the hands of a man with a history of abuse, Elder Simmons. Caralynne's story begins in a cult named The Children of Righteous Cain. Women are forced into marriage in their little teen years and then abused by their husbands to be subservient and obedient. Children are raised with strict rules of obedience laid out by Elder Simons, the top elder of the cult. Caralyn ...more
Daphne Self
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Books and stories about occult and the powerful, mesmerizing allure of its leaders always find a sweet reading spot within me. The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is no exception. As I read this story, I am swallowed by its fast pace and deep storytelling; and it is my pleasure to host an interview with this talented author.

How far would YOU go to avenge a daughter’s cruel death? Cara is considered rebellious and inappropriate to befriend. Dayne is the apple of Elder Simmons’ eye—until he takes a
Kay M
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is a compelling read. It is an emotional one. My emotions ran from shock to sympathy to fear to hope and much more. As I read the novel, I began to wonder how many people actually live in cults such as the one in this book, where women and girls are not valued as individuals.

There are numerous interesting and well-developed characters throughout the novel. Caralynne was easy for me to sympathize with, but not easy to like. At more than more point I feared for
Karen Robbins
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Back in 2008, I remember the news about a cult in Texas where children were forced into early marriage. Carole Brown has written a story very similar only from a point of view within the cult. It is definitely suspenseful as Caralynne tries to extract revenge for the death of her young daughter, killed while she was being "broken in" for marriage.

The romance thread in the story involves the minister, Dayne, who returns to the cult after attending seminary and seeks to change things from within.
Heidi
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman by Carole Brown is a suspenseful and emotional read. My only caution is that this book deals with cults and abuse, and so readers should keep in mind that it’s not a lighthearted read.

Caralynne lives in a cult of the Children of Righteous Cain. When Caralynne’s husband dies, the elders must make decisions about her future. At the same time, Dayne MacFarland, a friend from Caralynne’s past, returns to the cult as their preacher.

I was intrigued by this book becau
Renee
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gripping. A nightmarish, utterly gruesome, but triumphant tale. I turned the pages in search of justice, and found deliverance.
Carole Brown weaves a story of abuse, agony, and pain. Of which, for Caralynne Hayman, an end seems nowhere in sight. Pulling no punches, literally, we glimpse life from the perspective of the beaten and down-trodden. Then get to ponder the consequences and our conscience. After all, what would we do?
A bit repetitive at times, a brief lull in the plot rather distracted i
June Foster
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caralynne Hayman doesn't think like the other women of The Children of Righteous Cain. She's independent and feisty, unlike her complacent, subservient peers and fellow cult members.
Dayne MacFarland's life changes radically when he trusts in the God of the Bible, forsaking the tenets of his childhood faith. Though he's chosen as the spiritual leader of the cult, he preaches a much different message, one Elder Simmons can't endorse—love others as God loves you.
The story is an "edge of the seat"
Pat Dyer
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can certainly see why Carole Brown got so many endorsements and rave reviews for her debut novel. She has created an outstanding book that deals with the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of the dark issues of cult activity, spousal abuse and child abuse in a straight-forward yet respectful manner. Although this is a fictional story, we’ve all heard of brainwashing by cults. Chapter after chapter the suspense builds, and the reader is totally engaged throughout the entire book. You’ll ...more
Diana
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a realistic, emotional read that grips you and just won't let you go! The portrayal of a cult that uses religion as a means of keeping their women in line and as an excuse for abuse is as real as it is horrifying. Caralynne's feeling of protectiveness for her daughters is something that can be felt by any parent. The lengths that the elders will go to to get her back into line while she manages to thwart them makes for a story that you just can't put down. I was given a copy of this book fo ...more
Ann
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel I have read by this author but it won't be my last; It is a compelling story that exposes life in a cult, and how God's Word can be twisted to allow such abuse of women and children and control of others. I read it in one setting because after I started it I couldn't put it down. The characters are unforgettable and the story takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. It is also a powerful picture of how God's love can shine through even the darkest of circumstances. ...more
Britney
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In writing The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, Carole Brown tackles a dark, difficult subject and does a tremendous job! With a well-developed plot and characters, you are quickly drawn into this thought provoking story. The dramatic events keep you turning the pages and wondering what will happen next. It is a reminder that evil does exist and may be closer than we think. However, even amidst the suffering, pain and anguish there is also hope, forgiveness and redemption.

The Redemption of Caraly
Teresa Kander
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
**I was given a copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.**

This was a tough book to get through at times....not because of the way it is written, but because of the subject matter. The incidents of abuse, and the other incidents of violence, were very powerful, to the point of being sickening. It was like being there in person, watching from a distance, unable to do anything about what was happening. Thankfully, the true love of God is witnessed throughout the story, as op
Ronda
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read!
Carole Brown done an excellent job writing about a cult & being able to keep up the suspense! This is kind of a hard subject to read about and the way Carole Brown wrote it was just, well it was just excellent. I found myself rooting for Caralynne & Dayne. I often wanted to climb right in the book and help Caralynne! I am definetly adding Carole Brown into my top favorite authors.
Melanie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cults and abuse... Two very difficult subjects to read about yet Carole Brown has written a tale that deals with both. She has done a wonderful job of pulling you in the story with characters you will not soon forget. This will not be the last time we see Carole Brown's name. She has done a fine job!
Catherine Castle
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carole Brown takes a hard subject and handles it well. At times I wanted to put this book down because of the subject matter-sexual abuse, but it was well written and edited and not graphic, so I kept reading because I wanted the heroine to break free of the chains the cult she belonged to had put around her. A hard read, but worth the time.

• Heaven's Prey (Redemption's Edge, #1)
  • Purple Moon
  • Antique Virgin
  • Prairie Grace
  • Criss Cross (Holly #1)
  • House of Mercy
  • Deadly Ties (Crossroads Crisis Center, #2)
  • Atonement for Emily Adams
  • Breathing on Her Own
  • An Accidental Life
  • Fields of the Fatherless
  • Rule of Law
  • In Broken Places
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • A Stranger on My Land (Civil War Romance #1)
  • Crashing Into Christmas - Where Family Traditions, Holiday Joy, and Seasonal Scandals Collide
  • Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn #1)
  • The Sheep Walker's Daughter