Start by marking “Of Royal Descent (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Royal Descent (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Of Royal Descent

(The Doyle Hawthorne Series #1)

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But sometimes, under extreme circumstances, it's exactly that which kills you that makes you stronger. And faster. And a member to a new, elite race of zombies.

Armed with a current address for his biological grandfather and a slightly unusual, yet loyal best friend, Doyle Hawthorne sets out to discover the truth about his
Published September 9th 2013 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Of Royal Descent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Royal Descent

Start your review of Of Royal Descent (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #1)
Reading Corner
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway

So I won this on booklikes and this was definitely an entertaining book plus it was my first zombie novel which I proved to really like. The opening gets right into the action and immediately avoids cliches as we discover Doyle is adopted and he finds a picture which turns out to be his grandparents, Eva and William Clark. There's no mystery behind who his parents really are which is great as usually that's dragged out and Doyle tries to find his grandfather, William. Another cliche is
vicky.
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it

I don't usually read zombie books but this one definitely filled all zombie needs.

Doyle is a normal college student that one day discovers that is biological granpa is alive and that something awful could have happened to him. So he sets off with his BFF Chuck in a long roadtrip, but in the way he starts to change, he feels different... he is becoming something very unhuman.

Of course, the are zombies that all that want is BRRRAAAAIIINS but Doyle is becoming something superior, a royal
Jennifer McDonald
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Doyle Hawthorne sets out to discover family secrets and ends up uncovering more than he bargained for.
Of Royal Descent caught me from the first page, and refused to let go. Action, humor, romance, and zombies. What more could a girl ask for?
Shane’s take on the mythology is original, her characters are engaging, and writing superb. There’s also an interesting darkness to Of Royal Descent—a fright factor rarely found in the paranormal genre.
Doyle makes for an excellent MC. He’s intelligent,
★Moonrise Books
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
After the discovery of a family secret Doyle Hawthorne, and his best friend Chuck Johnson set out on a road trip to locate Doyle's birth grandfather. But what starts out as a harmless excursion ends up as something much more unsettling. Doyle and Chuck are heading toward a colony of zombies! And it's all part of a larger plan.

Before all hell breaks loose, Doyle meets Addy at a roadside diner, and is immediately drawn to her. The attraction is mutual. So, despite his not-so-grand entrance, she
Katiria
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
( I received this book from the author exchanged for a honest review. Thank You To Ember Shane! )

What an awesome start to a new zombie book series and a totally different zombie book was Of Royal Descent! Just wow what a refreshing different change of zombie book this book was for me. Let me just say I don't read a lot of zombies book like that, but that doesn't mean I don't love them. I really do love zombie books! I am just really picky with zombie books because there was a few I didn't like
Leila
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 STARS

“I received this book for free from the authors (Booklikes Gieaways) in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book, or the content of my review.”

I really liked the meaning behind the cover;how it reflecte the story; truly do.

This is my first zombie novel; I have never been interested in reading about the living dead ;they kind of creep me out *shudder*.

But let me get one thing straight, this is defenetly not your tipycal zombie apocalypse book, it
Dani

Of Royal Descent is the first book in The Doyle Hawthorne Series. It's a zombie book with a quite original take on the subject, though it can be classified as paranormal romance. We all know that I don't read too much of that genre and that when I do, beware, because bad reviews are coming. This is not the case, I enjoyed this book and I'm going to tell you why I think it stands out against the others.

Doyle Hawthorne is college student with adoptive parents. One day, while helping his father
Aimee Janetzki
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about a guy named Doyle who after he discovers something interesting about his biological grandfather, he goes on a road trip with his best friend Chuck in an effort to discover more. During their journey they meet two girls, Addy and Kai, and a whirlwind romance is formed. After being led into a trap by a mad scientist and discovering he is to die and become a royal Doyle is ready to say goodbye to everything he holds dear. Doyle eventually escapes the clutches of the mad scientist ...more
Myndi
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Royal Zombies??? I was unsure what this book would have in store for me, but I was hooked from the very first page. First of all, I love when the protagonist is adopted. I am not sure why, I just love when it's not perfect family, perfect life kind of situations. Also, the dynamic between Doyle and best friend Chuck is fantastic. They've got each other's back no matter what. Doyle has to go through a lot in this first book, and a lot of it is hard to digest, but it's so very intriguing that the
Sharon
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A friend gave me this to read. I asked her what it was about. She said, "Sex-crazed zombies". My immediate reaction?

Without including spoilers, I'll just say that I wish there had been more of those scenes! Aside from that, I loved the amount of humor in this book. Some of Chuck and Doyle's conversations are hilarious. Their double date with Addy and Kai is definitely one of my favorite scenes.

I will forewarn you that it does end on a cliffhanger, but if that doesn't bother you, this book is
Michelle Nichols
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an ARC book that I received from goodreads. Occasionally the book could be a little bit slow with a lot of details that were unnecessary, such as what specific order the characters took care of their hygiene needs in the morning. But the story? The story was awesome. A new twist on zombies that I have never read before or seen before. I found myself wondering exactly what was going to happen throughout most of the story, And I was quite put out when it ended. A kind of cliffhanger that ...more
Jodi
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read! The author definitely has captured my attention in her deliciously intriguing first book. I really did have a hard time putting it down. Between the banter of humor between Chuck and Doyle and the love for something Doyle can no longer have. It's all just too much! With a story line that's just slightly out of the norm..you quickly become encapsulated in this scifi romance with a childhood friendship that can't be broken? Well i guess we'll all just have to wait for the next ...more
David Torres
Nov 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Jessica
Opening Excerpt:

When I was a kid, I always knew I was different. I could feel something burning down deep inside. I always knew I was different. I could feel some burning down deep inside. I always imagined I would grow up to be a special, maybe become the President, maybe a rocket scientist. What I did not expect to become was a leader of an uprising zombie army.

And yet , here I was…

Description (Amazon):

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But sometimes, under extreme
Sage Knightly
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ffr
*This will also be posted on Booklikes, and Coffee & Books.

Rating: 4.5/5

Doyle Hawthorne is a 21-year-old college student who sets out with his best friend Chuck Johnson to search for his biological grandfather. Along the way they uncover more then they ever could have bargained for and realize a darker entity lives among them.

Of Royal Descent is full of action, deceit, love, bravery, humour, and the best of all: Zombies. What more could you ask for? This is the perfect combination of
Karen Voitik
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
>Book Review – of Royal Descent -

>This is the first book in the Doyle Hawthorne series and ends in a cliffhanger.

>Doyle and his friend, Chuck are normal college students. When they decide to go on a road trip to visit Doyle's grandfather all hell breaks loose. Doyle is adopted and finds evidence of a living grandfather, so off he goes with his best bud. This is where the story gets interesting. Doyle parents turn into government ninjas, Doyle has dreams that tell him what to do and
Nicole
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of, I won this book in a giveaway here on booklikes. And I'm so glad I did, if I hadn't seen it there, I probably would have never picked up the book, simply because I never felt THAT interested in zombies, cause you know, slow, creeping dudes who look like they are falling apart. Nope, not for me.

BUT THIS BOOK. There are some parts in there that reflect how I feel and thought about zombies but there is also so much more, there is so much action and greateness. I love it. It all gets
Kathy (My Nook Books and More)
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014
I was approached by the author to review this book a couple of months ago. I have never read a book about zombies but the story caught my eye. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I was blown away by this story. I loved it!!

Without including any spoilers I thought this was a creative and unique story. The author created a new species of zombies and I thought she did a great job of developing her new world without feeling overwhelmed with too much detail. Since they are zombies there are some
Lynkon Davis
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is NOT your usual zombie story--and I loved that about this book. Instead of being infected, college student Doyal finds out being a zombie is in his genes.
On a quest to meet his biological grandfather, Doyal and his best friend, Chuck take off on a road trip. What was meant as a quick and harmless getaway soon becomes full of strange symptoms for Doyal. Nightmares, new food cravings, two girls, a diner and more have his head spinning.
I love the bond these two guys share as best friends.
David Duncan
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle School and up
Recommended to David by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
Of Royal Descent, by Ember Shane, is my one hundred and thirty fifth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. This is my first zombie novel that I have read. I really enjoyed reading this book. The cover of this book was really great.
Doyle Hawthorne discovers a family secret and he and his best friend Chuck set out for a road trip to locate Doyle's birth grandfather, and ends up uncovering more than what they bargain for.
This book Of Royal Descent has you intrigued right from the
Linda Romer
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviews
Of Royal Desent (The Doyle Hawthorne Series Book 1) by Amber Shane

Of Royal Desent was a fantastic read! I loved this story, it was about a young man named Doyle Hawthorne who learned he was more than a man when he was born into Royal Desent.
The story was fast paced and drew me in with each chapter delving deeper and deeper into the plot. I felt excited as I read through the book waiting for the outcome of many things.
My favorite characters are Doyle and his best friend Chuck. There journey to
Darlene Cruz
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Heading towards a colony of zombies, ahh . . . that's right brain chomping creepy dead people well not people just yucky dead thing. But some are actually using their brains, no. . . not the zombies, or is it? So entertaining, the right intensity and darkness yet comical antidote. I enjoyed the two main characters Doyle and Chuck, friends like no other both are a breath of fresh air to this book. Doyle sets out on a journey to find answers of course Chuck in tow and the answer they sought, well ...more
Danielle James
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Of Royal Descent is a good, fast read. The characters and situations are well developed and easily likeable. I really enjoyed the new take on zombies. It is so hard to come up with something original in that area, but Ms. Shane has done it.
Doyle has no idea that he is a zombie royal by blood and only finds out when he and his friend Chuck go in search of his biological family. On his journey, he meets Addy, the only woman that he has been attracted to in longer than he cares to admit. He bonds
Deborah Bean
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Let me start this off my saying that I usually refuse to read any book with the word zombie in it. When I saw that this book had zombies in it, I started to set it aside. I am so glad that I did not. I am actually looking forward to reading the next installment. If you are looking for blood, gore, and mindless chaos, this is not the book for you. It is about finding out your family has secrets, finding your true love, and protecting those that you love, no matter the cost.
If you read this book,
Shilo Harney
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because in the first 5 chapters I really wasn't impressed. But after that the story took off and I will definitely plan to read of high treason age but comes out.

Doyle and Chuck are supposed to be two 21 year old males but the banter between them isn't always believable in accordance to "2 21-year old males". Between the dialogue and slow un-necessary details the first 5 chapters nearly had me put the book down but honestly I'm glad i didn't.

The story definitely picks
Tonya Thomas
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hungry, Angry, Horny, repeat...Doyle Hawthorne doesn't understand why his adoptive parents are making such a big deal out of him making a road trip with his best friend since childhood, Chuck, to possibly meet his biological grandfather. It's not like he's going to be treated like some zombie lab rat in a diabolical and sinister way by a corrupt Kris Kringle....right? The grammar usage in this book is fantastic, especially during the first half of the book when Doyle is Doyle. Plenty of ...more
Lisa Miller
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my introduction to Ember Shane. I am not crazy about Zombies. I am not crazy about YA. But I could not stop reading this book. I loved all the characters, the story line, and the possibilities. Doyle and Chuck made me laugh more times than I could count and the relationship between Doyle and Abby is very sweet. I will grant you that it is slow taking off and there are a few too many details for my tastes (hence the 4 1/2 star review), but it is awesome once it gets going. ...more
Jhoana Marie Navarro
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
***I got this book through Goodreads giveaways.

It's great story, I thought it will be a good subject for a movie, it's a different take on having a zombie as your lead character. It's good cause it is different, it's something new to add in a collection of zombie novels. It's like zombie up another notch ;) It's cool!

Who would have though having a zombie lurking around able to live and somehow think like a living human I love this book.. looking forward to the next one.

Kaitie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to pick up this book but I am extremely glad that I did. From the moment I started reading this book it was hard to put down. I finished the first book with a heavy heart, knowing that I would have to wait for the sequel. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME READ this book has it all Zombies,action,humor and romance

Doyle finds a current address for his biological grandfather and a slightly unusual but best friend Chuck go on a road trip.Doyle is in search for answers to his past only to learn about the presant.Chuck is the friend you would want to take on a long road trip.
Ember Shane is the author of the new adult, paranormal romances included in The Doyle Hawthorne Series. She's currently working on her fourth book, title pending, which follows Jenny Hawthorne's story, tentatively scheduled to be released autumn 2017.

When she's not writing about things that go bump in the night, Ember can be found practicing her hot glue gun skills or searching for the holy grail

The Doyle Hawthorne Series (3 books)
  • Of High Treason (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #2)
  • Heir to the Crown (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #3)