Start by marking “The Douglas Fir” as Want to Read:
The Douglas Fir

The Douglas Fir

Somehow, someway, Jason Kress will find Noah the most unique and clever gift ever. A gift that will surprise him, and win his heart.

A gift that just might be magic . . .

(A contemporary gay romance story)
Published November 3rd 2013 by Sunday Publications (first published November 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Douglas Fir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Douglas Fir

Ami
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Emma Sea
Confession: I never read any story by Anyta Sunday before. I heard she wrote sweet story (and I knew my friend, Arthur liked her stories, so they must be 'safe' for me) but I didn't know why I never tried it. Well, dear Emma gave this to me as a gift -- since I was being sick and all, wasn't she the best?! -- and I thought, Christmas story in November? Why not :)

Sigh ... what a lovely story this was!! Emma is right, Ms. Sunday writes such sweet-boy-next-door kind of stories, that is right up my
Vio
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Emma Sea
Oh the joys of pinning for the one you love, adorable dedication with the Fir trees, smart and cute. I loved the sweet, slow build up and I was okay with the tricky and twisty outcome once I got over my surprise. If only there was more of Dave and Jase and how their relationship moved forward, it ended too soon, I needed more time with them. Especially since deep down and secretly I would have preferred it the other way around. I still had the happy feels and a big thank you to Emma fo
☆ Todd
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine

Since it's so short, this romantic story is a hard one to review without flat out giving the ending away, so nope. Not doing it.

So to avoid all that, I'll just say that the story was very cute, with tons of pining (only slight pun intended) and with an ending that was a bit different than I'd expected.

After the buildup during the entire book, I was a bit disappointed that it was all over so soon, but I'll live.

3.5 stars.
Arthur
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When magic comes from the least-expected corner.

Jase loved his neighbor Noah. But he never told Noah that he's gay. When Noah told him what he wanted for Christmas, Jase worked hard to make it happen and hopefully Noah would start to notice that Jase wanted more than friendship. Unfortunately, it seemed that he was a bit too late for that since Dave, Noah's other best friend, had started to make his move toward Noah...

I usually am not into love triangle, but this is by Anyta Sunday so of cours
Len Evans Jr
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, owned
Wow... the author did great job of misdirection with this story. Up until a point then it became clear. I loved all the people in this book... perhaps Noah most of all. Just because the other two seriously needed to respect him for who he was, without that they were not true friends. Loved the ending so much!
Meags
3 Stars

Well...that was completely unexpected. I went into this story expecting one thing – mainly some friends to lovers action and possibly some gay for you feels - but it ended up being a whole other thing. To be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about the unforeseen turn of events. I think I liked it!? Let me explain...

As the synopsis states, Jase is butt-crazy in love with his friend/neighbour, Noah. For Noah’s birthday, Jase wants to give him a truly memorable gift, which will hopefully make
Anke
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This reading experience was - magic! After my reading funk I suddenly got lucky, two wonderful reads back-to-back! Sigh! Give me more like that:)
I had a hunch where the story was going, but it was a joy to read and I'm sitting here with a huge smile on my face and on the verge of reading it again - that's how good it was.
MaDoReader
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 redondeadas al alza.
Se ve que tras mi ultima lectura, necesitaba algo así ♡
Heller
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
3.5

This was sweet. I liked the brother relationship between Jase and Scott which seemed very real and Noah was a lovely guy.

What I really needed though (view spoiler)

I just wished that the ending, as great as it was, wasn't so rushed.
Simsala
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

Heller`s review

Really sweet and twisty story and not so Christmas-y as the title suggests.
What threw me a bit was the rushed ending. Turning from a light, slow paced story with almost no sexual innuendo to full blown smut - that came a bit with an *oomph*.

Emma Sea
Nov 03, 2013 added it
Shelves: xmas, novella, beta
Why no, I'm not freaked out AT ALL that Xmas shorts are being released already *freaking out*
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Douglas Fir...

Fun little story with a nice little twist. Will not say more than that because I wouldn't want to spoil it 😁
Eve
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really touching story. Jase wants to give Noah, his secret love, the perfect Christmas gift so that Noah will realize he loves him and fall in love too, but things don't quite work out at planned. For one thing, Jase has to compete with Noah's other best friend who's also in love with Noah, and for another, while his gift idea is fantastic, it involves a hell of a lot of work and sneaking around.

(view spoiler)
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I love holiday stories, Christmas ones especially, and I have a habit of reading them in the summer, just because I can.
Anyta Sunday has a talent for sweet, feel good, friends to lovers stories.

I loved this book, I loved the magical twist of maybe not getting what you think you want, but what you really need instead, finding your truth.
I loved the idea of the backwards Pinocchio fir tree, loved the dog, wanted to tape the kid brother's mouth shut ( just a little) and I really wanted more of Jas
Christina
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok

This was ok. I liked the characters. The Douglas Fir gift idea was cute and sweet, however the ending was rushed. The problem was that the entire book was focused on Jason’s feelings for Noah. Then (view spoiler) This was disappointing and ruined the story.
Bev
A lovely little Xmas read from Anyta. 4 stars and 4 ♥♥♥♥

Jason is in love with Noah; however, Noah is straight and although Jason is a great mate, that's as far as it goes for Noah. Jason decides to do something really special for Noah to try and win his heart. I'm not going to give anything else away but the title of the story is a clue, and the ending was so not what I was expecting. Really enjoyed it, thanks Anyta.
Trisha Harrington
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice read!
Natasha
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is cute.

Not really my kind of book because it's a little sweet for me, but overall enjoyable. I liked the unique elements like the Douglas Fir, the MC being a gardener, the cute neighbours aspect. I seen the twist of fate coming a mile away, which kind of worked for this book. Everyone was cute, everything was cute. Cuteness and fur everywhere.
I'd like to leave you with a little quote from the novel.

"Reaching over, I yanked open the compost and poured some into the hole."

Copy provid
Tully Vincent
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sweet, well-written Christmas story with just the right amount of angst to make it a perfect choice for my Christmas Day read! All of the characters felt so real and down to earth, and. . . (view spoiler) Magic.
Elsa Bravante
No memorable, pero agradable, dulce, y con algún giro que no esperaba. Para pasar un ratillo.
Lucy
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

The gift, wow. Just wow. That anyone would be so creative trying to find the perfect gift is a wonderful thing. Jase is a nice guy who wants nothing more than to get his neighbor to be more than friends. To this end, he attempts the perfect birthday gift. He gifts his friend a Douglas Fir and assures him that if he tells it truths it will grow. It is ingenious, the gift that Jase gives him.

It’s nearly impossible to review this properly without spoilers so I’ll
MishyJo
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ho-ho-holidays
4.5 stars. Every year I plan to read this and then get distracted by something shinier and newer. This was FANFUCKINGTASTIC. Shame on me for waiting. I loved the fact that what I thought was going to happen for the vast majority of the book didn't. I loved the gesture of the tree. I loved this book.
Michelle
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, gay-romance
I really enjoyed my first holiday book for the season - yes, I know, I start early. I was hoping for this ending for most of the book. If I had just one request it would have been for a little bit more. But I loved the premise and the characters.
Gabriella (Gabi)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was sweet. ❤
Leanne

A charming, not-quite-Christmasy story of Jase, a young man filled with uncertainties and insecurities and cursed with a heavy bout of unrequited love. Oh, how I love this trope!
I enjoyed the sweet, innocent charm of the three guys. I thought that the ending might have been a little rushed and yes, that sex scene felt weirdly out of place (I skimmed it), but I couldn't put this one down, I really cared about Jase and I couldn't predict how it would end, or who he would end up with.
I
Eli Easton
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first 2013 Christmas story and I enjoyed it. The story involves a love triangle but it all sorts itself out in the end. I don't want say much more or it will be a spoiler. But I loved the central conceit of the Douglas fir--such a cute idea. The romance was very sweet, just as it should be at Christmas. Recommended.

ETA: I could not find this on epub for my ipad--it appears to only come on kindle. I'd encourage the author to put her books on ARE or somewhere else where it can be in epu
Daphne
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Slow meandering book that was unlike any others I've read. I enjoyed the unique storyline and the little brother - he was hysterical. The storyline seemed to drag in places. Couple that with the twist and the book felt a little bit discordant. Probably some parts were more true to life than is often found in the romance genre but as someone to unabashedly enjoys the fluffy escapism, I missed it here.
Pjm12
Too cute! So cute. The magic of Christmas. Three really lovely boys. Set in NZ so there was swimming and surfing in December.

I liked the twisty stuff. I thought Jase was terrific to do that for Noah. And it was easy to see why everybody fell for Noah. I would have liked to have seen more interactions (accidentally or otherwise) between Dave & Jase.

(xmas story #2)
Mary
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
oh I am beginning to really like Anyta Sunday's books. So far; all I have read were winners in my book...I so loved this story..very sweet.. looking for something that you would do anything for and almost missing someone wonderful that is right there under your feet.........
Josy
This was a sweet Christmas story with a tiny bit of angst, lovely characters, an ending that took me by surprise, and a lot of Christmas magic!

Recommended!
  • Gaudete
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Sweet and Sour
  • Magic & Mistletoe
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Christmas Delights
  • In Another Life (Heartwarming)
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
  • Joys R Us
  • The Family We're Born With (Finding Family, #1)
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • It's Christmas Everywhere But Here
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
Hey guys,

A bit about me: I'm a big, BIG fan of slow-burn romances. I love to read and write stories with characters who slowly fall in love.

Some of my favorite tropes to read and write are: Enemies to Lovers, Friends to Lovers, Clueless Guys, Bisexual, Pansexual, Demisexual, Oblivious MCs, Everyone (Else) Can See It, Slow Burn, Love Has No Boundaries.

I write a variety of stories, Contemporary MM R