Start by marking “Waking Dreams: The Torment of Colin Pierce” as Want to Read:
Waking Dreams: The Torment of Colin Pierce

Waking Dreams: The Torment of Colin Pierce

Sometimes Colin Pierce’s dreams come true--unfortunately they aren’t always happy dreams. Several years after a horrible nightmare claimed his wife and youngest daughter, he finds himself pulled into the mysterious world of dreams again. This time the Wall of Sleep--the line separating the Dreamside from the waking world--is under attack by a malevolent entity known only a ...more
Published November 1st 2013 by Createspace (first published October 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Dreams

Sam Sigelakis-Minski
First off, thank you so much for the opportunity to read this novel as a Firstreads. I am honored.

From the beginning of this novel, you are sucked in. Colin Pierce is a likeable protagonist who is flawed due to his circumstances rather than being a bad person. He never sinks into the self pity that often plagues people that suffer such tragedy, and watching his character blossom throughout the novel is a treasure.

My favorite parts of this book were definitely the dream sequences. Considering the
Tony Parsons
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Colin Pierce (author; Col) was aboard a McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 how/why he did not know.

Marianne Pierce (wife; Mari), Sidney Pierce (11; daughter), & Emma Pierce (4; daughter) were in the other compartment. The plane was plummeting. Colin suddenly awoke was it all a very bad nightmare (dream). He had another 1 a while back about the Jenks twins (Kristie; Kimmy) when he was young (15) who were burned alive in their parents’ home. Colin & Sidney (Sid) moved to Leith IL., to start a new li
Ashley E
Waking Dreams starts off with a bang, dropping the reader straight into the Dreamside, and it does a good job following through on that intense beginning. Colin finds himself drawn into a strange world of dreams and premonitions that seems to be a danger to himself, and maybe to his family as well.

Colin is a strong character and carries off his adventures and quests with a humanity that is easy to relate to. His journey of self-realization is one that many people have gone through at one point i
Randy Blea
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Waking Dreams: The Torment of Colin Pierce was one of the books, however, that pulled me in from the start. It was one of those books that left me longing for my next "waiting" moment where I could pull out my phone and immerse myself in the unique universe that JD Kaplan created. From the emotional introduction of the characters, that hits ever so close to our own waking nightmares, to the rest of our journey into the Dreamside with Colin, JD Kaplan has released a story that not only envelops u ...more
Elli
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
JD Kaplan delves into the world of fantasy in this intriguing first novel. His extraordinary imagination has created an intricate world that is believable; the reader gets sucked in immediately. Kaplan's lyrical style of writing flows effortlessly while he creates strong characters (including many strong women) who are likable, witty and sensitive. Actually, he seems to have almost mastered the woman's perspective. The plot takes many twists and managed to surprise me. The descriptions are fabul ...more
Heather Langston
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
So, this one started off engaging. Snagged my interest and kept it for a good while. But then I bounced back and forth between periods of enjoyment and then periods of...well, loss of interest. Just some dry spots, I guess you could call them. I must say though, the author did a fantastic job on the character Penny! Always found myself smiling at her enthusiasm. There is some profanity. With this one, I would recommend one check out a sample first. For those who really like stories of dreams bec ...more
Vincent Wood
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an urban fantasy book about dreams. In fact, it is so much about dreams that the majority of the characters sleep through much of the book. The question is though is whether this book put you to sleep. I do not think it will. If anything, this book ended up ruining my sleep considering I stayed up far later than what is normally my bedtime far too many nights so that I might see what next will happen. I highly recommend this book.
Jesena
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I have received an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
Overall it is a fine book. It flows well and was interesting enough to keep me reading. What I didn't like was noticeable inexperience of the author. There are some repetitive words, overly used phrases and some paragraphs with same name mentioned in almost every sentence. Halfway through the book I could mostly guess the ending but when I read it I was pleased with unexpected (to me at least) twist.
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book. Kaplan's ability to create such vivid imagery is quite remarkable. The first section begins so tragically;the remainder of the book is a nod to 'Stardust' and 'Inkheart'. This is a great adventure with a loving father daughter story at its' core.I would keep my eye open for more of Kaplan's work because he is only going to get better!
Amy
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story grabs you right from the beginning and never lets go. I found myself very invested in the characters, and found it difficult to put down once I got wrapped up in the story. Definitely has a Charles de Lint urban fantasy vibe to it.
John
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this as a first offering from a new author. Looking forward to seeing the next installation of Colin's adventures with the dreamside. :)

Natalie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Really good characters and descriptive writing. The author has a nice empathy for his subject. I became fully engaged in this story. I could see already see the movie...
Pam
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read and very good. Really made me think a lot about things. I enjoyed it
May 10, 2014
Now available via iBooks and Nook 1 2 Feb 19, 2014 08:23AM
Goodreads Authors...: Waking Dreams on sale at Amazon 1 7 Dec 27, 2013 05:35AM
  • The Inn of the Kindred Spirits
  • Worlds Apart: Star Realm
  • For the Future Generations (Our Generation Series, #1)
  • The Disillusionment of Anahera Daniels
  • The Heart of Applebutter Hill
  • Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1)
  • Treasures, Demons, and Other Black Magic (The Dowser #3)
  • Exposed (Tropical Nights #1)
  • The Matchmaker, the Apprentice, and the Football Fan: More Stories of China
  • Tornado Warning
  • Recess Rules
  • Love in a Hopeless Place Collection (Love in a Hopeless Place, #1-5)
  • Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
  • Out of Print: Newspapers, Journalism and the Business of News in the Digital Age
  • Practical Goal Setting
  • Bread Crumbs
  • Snake in the Glass (Incryptid, #3.3)
  • Witch: A New Beginning (The Witch #1)
JD currently lives in Woodstock, Illinois with his wife, two kids and very insecure Golden Retriever, Max. He has worked in the software industry for nearly 18 years after a period of failing to publish his poetry. At this stage in life he's actively trying to change careers again to be a full time author of fantasy and science fiction novels.