Start by marking “Alex + Ada #1” as Want to Read:
Alex + Ada #1

Alex + Ada #1

(Alex + Ada #1)

From JONATHAN LUNA (GIRLS, THE SWORD, Spider-Woman, ULTRA) and SARAH VAUGHN (Sparkshooter) comes ALEX + ADA, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But when Ada is dropped into his life, will Alex keep her?

This will be JONATHAN LUNA’s return to comics after three years off since the end of
Published November 6th 2013 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Alex + Ada #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex + Ada #1

Start your review of Alex + Ada #1
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
My first ever graphic novel...not sure how I feel about it yet but I'm definitely intrigued. I will be continuing on with the rest of issues of Volume 1 at the very least.
Caro the Helmet Lady
First glimpse - not so fresh, not so original. It contains SO many recycled ideas that it hurts. Chobits is the first thing that comes to my mind, but not the last. Graphics? Neat but sort of boring. The very boring kind of boring. Some faces were basically identic and they all reminded me Kristen Stewart's emotional chart. Yet... I got hooked. I'm a sucker for robot/android stories, it can't be helped. So I guess I will wait for more?
Kells Next Read
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this graphic novel so much. Will be continuing it for sure.
Nicolo
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SXSW 2014. South by Southwest is an interactive, music and film festival in Austin, Texas and since Comixology has a major presence there this weekend, it gave some free books accessible to its subscribers as it launched some major initiatives. This is one of those books.

It's kind of weird to see this book not billed as being done by The Luna Brothers. Jonathan Luna collaborates with Sarah Vaughn in this new Image Comics series set in a very plausible near futuristic setting where a tech conglom
Keyreads
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Forget reality, can I live in this world?! The setting for this story is in the near future. This comic comes in monthly installments and leaves the reader wanting more. I especially loved the diversity of characters and the illustrations were great.

Possible **SPOILERS**
DIRECTIONS: READ IN YOUR "AS SEEN ON TV" COMMERCIAL VOICE

Is your alarm clock vintage-2013?! Did your favorite Starbucks mess up your coffee today? Ooohh NO! Is that morning shower to cold for you? Is your sex life a bore and you
Ashley Lynne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Eh. Interesting, but nothing special enough for me to buy the next volume.
Jenn
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
If it was about the Grandma and her bot then would have another star :P
Eric
What the (&T* $^%#@)( @&*()@ was that?! Honestly, I know it's a monthly. I know I will have to be patience but all that book did was make me feel even sadder and lonelier than I have on some of my worse days .. and it's Alex's BIRTHDAY!

That was cruel.

The book does it's job. Sets up beautiful future where everything can be automated and folks choose to either get on board on not... well not automated really, more like controlled by their every thought. He's going through the motions and we see h
Anna
Holy Chiwawa! What an incredible and hooking beginning. I just couldn't stop reading (read first 5 already, btw) and had those "whaaaaaa?" moments every time I reached the end of the issue.
Already got all 12 issues that are out and guys, GUYS!, I can tell you, this graphic novel deserves all the hype.
Art seems simplistic at first, but I'm in love with it after #2. Just like that. 30 pages in. It makes the whole image more realistic for some reason. Also, I agree with those, who loved all the re
Alaa  A
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
its was a good introduction , its not fair to review a series like this I might say my thoughts along the way and give you a full review at the end.
Briana
I snagged a copy of this issue during Free Comic Book Saturday this past weekend. I liked it. Something about the simplicity of it is alluring to me. The art is amateurish and I don't think emotions are conveyed well on the characters faces. The main character practically has one look on his face the entire issue. I was able to overlook that though.

Alex is still reeling from the loss of his ex-girlfriend when his grandmother gifts him an android for his 27th birthday. The issue ends with him op
Paul
I might check this out more on Comixology Unlimited or the library but I wasn't too impressed with the first issue. I thought the writing was uninspired and the art was ugly. It looks almost like The Sims only with worse graphics. The only reason I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 is because I think it has promise if the relationship between Alex and Ada is amazing. Still, I won't be paying money to read any further in this series, and I am happy I gave it a try with the $1 issue.
Nadine
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow...that was really short but that's to be expected.
This first issue sets up a bit of the world as well as the main character. This reminded me of iRobot. I really enjoyed it and am excited to continue reading, however I'm going to wait until it comes out as a volume or something rather than the little issues.
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is sci-fi comic takes place in the not too distant future, it isn't some dystopian society with hover cars and jet packs though, instead the author has built a future that is very believable and doesn't feel too far off.

The main character Alex is immediately likable and relatable.
Aarthika
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: shawana
im not a fan of the art style so far, but the story is pretty interesting.
Kadie
Ooh I'm very intrigued, reminds me of Her but more advanced.
Artemis Hobbs
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good stuff.
After watching movies like Her and Ex Machina, it can kinda feel like there isn't much left to be said about falling in love with people who have artificial intelligence, and while that can certainly feel true here, I didn't mind the re-traveled territory.
I didn't mind the artwork either. It can look a bit stiff at time, but I suppose that's the point. Colors are all pleasing to the eyes and I think it was when kinky grandma was talking that I started to realize how engaged I was. It
Andy Hickman
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
ALEX + ADA. Volume 1

Chapter 1:
This first chapter issue sets up the futuristic context for us understanding Alexander and his lonely life. He’s a genuine and reasonable person with a considerate personality.
Refreshingly crisp illustrations and colours, and easy to read soft font-text make this an enjoyable read.
This story feels like a sincerely romantic and realistic world in which humans and androids co-exist, whilst the phobia of “them vs us” lingers like a cloudy shadow. I even like the title,
Ashe Catlin
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
The set up is a bit like terminator, where the computers are self aware and started attacking people. That isn’t the focus of this plot however, we follow an office worker, who’s hung up on his ex.

Yeah apart from being a miserable git, not much happens. The things it’s mentioning happening throughout the world are far more interesting than the actual focus of the story. There are some mentions of having sex with robots, (view spoiler)
Dayne
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex and Ada Volume by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Kuhn (2015)
5 stars
** This is a very short volume so this review may contain minor spoilers**
In the not so distant future, Alex finds himself living a stale life. Work is going well and he has great friends, but when his grandmother points out his loneliness, he begins to see more and more flaws in his everyday life. While the world grapples with the complex nature of future technology, with increasingly independent AI, Alex's grandmother suggests
Terry Murphy
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Jonathan Luna continues to pump out stories with illusions of importance but read as though they were crafted by a team of 14-year-olds in their rec room.

While the story aspires to be about...what...the evils of technology run amok?...it feels hollow and spiritless at the best moments and juvenile the rest of time.

Not something I care to continue digging into.
Silas
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent setup with a lot of already used ideas, like brain implants to control devices, and android assistants. Apart from the brain implants, this is reminiscent of Chobits, which I loved, but isn't quite as engaging. Alex's grandmother is particularly creepy, and there isn't quite enough of this book that isn't creepy for me to make the effort to read further.
✨ Y.♡ˎ´
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad. I like the idea, but the art lacks emotion.
Miriam
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooh I'm very intrigued, reminds me of Her but more advanced
Helen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the whole comic
Siobhan
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Alexander Peterhans
Not a fan of Jonathan Luna's art style, but this is the first thing he has done, where it seems to fit.
DOUGLAS J BERRY
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A boy meets robot romance.

Technology has advanced to implanted computer chips and killer a. i. A lonely boy is given a lover robot by his granny
Tiffany Fox
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Volume: Alex + Ada
Story, Script, Illustrations, Letters, Design: Jonathan Luna
Story, Script: Sarah Vaughn
Publisher/Date: Image First/ 11/6/2013
Pages/Format: 28/ Comic
Issue#: 1

From Jonathan Luna (Girls, The Sword, Spider-Woman, Ultra) and Sarah Vaughn (Sparkshooter) comes Alex + Ada, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But when Ada is dropped into his life, will Alex keep her? This will be Jonathan Luna's retu
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sex Criminals #2: Come, World
  • Y: The Last Man #1
  • Bitch Planet #1
  • Sex Criminals: Volume One: One Weird Trick
  • Blackbird #1 (Blackbird, #1)
  • Rat Queens Special: Braga #1
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #2
  • Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars
  • Die #1
  • Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet
JONATHAN LUNA co-created and illustrated THE SWORD, GIRLS, and ULTRA (all Image Comics) with his brother, Joshua Luna. He co-created and illustrated ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn. He wrote and illustrated STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS (Image Comics). His work also includes the art for SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN (Marvel Comics), written by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed.

Jonathan was born in Calif

Alex + Ada (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Alex + Ada #2