Start by marking “Alex + Ada #1” as Want to Read:
Alex + Ada #1

Alex + Ada #1

(Alex + Ada #1)

From JONATHAN LUNA (GIRLS, THE SWORD, Spider-Woman, ULTRA) and SARAH VAUGHN (Sparkshooter) comes ALEX + ADA, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But when Ada is dropped into his life, will Alex keep her?

This will be JONATHAN LUNA’s return to comics after three years off since the end of
Published November 6th 2013 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Alex + Ada #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex + Ada #1

Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
My first ever graphic novel...not sure how I feel about it yet but I'm definitely intrigued. I will be continuing on with the rest of issues of Volume 1 at the very least.
Kells Next Read
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this graphic novel so much. Will be continuing it for sure.
Caro the Helmet Lady
First glimpse - not so fresh, not so original. It contains SO many recycled ideas that it hurts. Chobits is the first thing that comes to my mind, but not the last. Graphics? Neat but sort of boring. The very boring kind of boring. Some faces were basically identic and they all reminded me Kristen Stewart's emotional chart. Yet... I got hooked. I'm a sucker for robot/android stories, it can't be helped. So I guess I will wait for more?
Nicolo Yu
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SXSW 2014. South by Southwest is an interactive, music and film festival in Austin, Texas and since Comixology has a major presence there this weekend, it gave some free books accessible to its subscribers as it launched some major initiatives. This is one of those books.

It's kind of weird to see this book not billed as being done by The Luna Brothers. Jonathan Luna collaborates with Sarah Vaughn in this new Image Comics series set in a very plausible near futuristic setting where a tech conglom
Keyreads
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Forget reality, can I live in this world?! The setting for this story is in the near future. This comic comes in monthly installments and leaves the reader wanting more. I especially loved the diversity of characters and the illustrations were great.

Possible **SPOILERS**
DIRECTIONS: READ IN YOUR "AS SEEN ON TV" COMMERCIAL VOICE

Is your alarm clock vintage-2013?! Did your favorite Starbucks mess up your coffee today? Ooohh NO! Is that morning shower to cold for you? Is your sex life a bore and you
Ashley Lynne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
Eh. Interesting, but nothing special enough for me to buy the next volume.
Eric
What the (&T* $^%#@)( @&*()@ was that?! Honestly, I know it's a monthly. I know I will have to be patience but all that book did was make me feel even sadder and lonelier than I have on some of my worse days .. and it's Alex's BIRTHDAY!

That was cruel.

The book does it's job. Sets up beautiful future where everything can be automated and folks choose to either get on board on not... well not automated really, more like controlled by their every thought. He's going through the motions and
Alaa  A
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
its was a good introduction , its not fair to review a series like this I might say my thoughts along the way and give you a full review at the end.
Anna
Holy Chiwawa! What an incredible and hooking beginning. I just couldn't stop reading (read first 5 already, btw) and had those "whaaaaaa?" moments every time I reached the end of the issue.
Already got all 12 issues that are out and guys, GUYS!, I can tell you, this graphic novel deserves all the hype.
Art seems simplistic at first, but I'm in love with it after #2. Just like that. 30 pages in. It makes the whole image more realistic for some reason. Also, I agree with those, who loved all the re
Briana
I snagged a copy of this issue during Free Comic Book Saturday this past weekend. I liked it. Something about the simplicity of it is alluring to me. The art is amateurish and I don't think emotions are conveyed well on the characters faces. The main character practically has one look on his face the entire issue. I was able to overlook that though.

Alex is still reeling from the loss of his ex-girlfriend when his grandmother gifts him an android for his 27th birthday. The issue ends with him op
Paul
I might check this out more on Comixology Unlimited or the library but I wasn't too impressed with the first issue. I thought the writing was uninspired and the art was ugly. It looks almost like The Sims only with worse graphics. The only reason I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 is because I think it has promise if the relationship between Alex and Ada is amazing. Still, I won't be paying money to read any further in this series, and I am happy I gave it a try with the $1 issue.
Nadine
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow...that was really short but that's to be expected.
This first issue sets up a bit of the world as well as the main character. This reminded me of iRobot. I really enjoyed it and am excited to continue reading, however I'm going to wait until it comes out as a volume or something rather than the little issues.
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is sci-fi comic takes place in the not too distant future, it isn't some dystopian society with hover cars and jet packs though, instead the author has built a future that is very believable and doesn't feel too far off.

The main character Alex is immediately likable and relatable.
Aarthika
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: shawana
im not a fan of the art style so far, but the story is pretty interesting.
Kadie
Ooh I'm very intrigued, reminds me of Her but more advanced.
Eloise
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a comic book/graphic novel reader, but I want to be. Book Riot posted a photo of some comics they're giving away to an entrant and Alex + Ada Volume 1 was among the prizes. The cover intrigued me (yes, I judge books by their covers) and #1 was a free download in iBooks. What's not to lose?

The artwork is simple, clean, and beautiful. The story and dialogue pulled me in. The believably-futuristic concept is fascinating. I'm excited to see where this story goes.

Sidenote: I was looking thr
Silas
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent setup with a lot of already used ideas, like brain implants to control devices, and android assistants. Apart from the brain implants, this is reminiscent of Chobits, which I loved, but isn't quite as engaging. Alex's grandmother is particularly creepy, and there isn't quite enough of this book that isn't creepy for me to make the effort to read further.
Miriam
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooh I'm very intrigued, reminds me of Her but more advanced
✨ Y.♡ˎ´
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad. I like the idea, but the art lacks emotion.
Tiffany Fox
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Volume: Alex + Ada
Story, Script, Illustrations, Letters, Design: Jonathan Luna
Story, Script: Sarah Vaughn
Publisher/Date: Image First/ 11/6/2013
Pages/Format: 28/ Comic
Issue#: 1

From Jonathan Luna (Girls, The Sword, Spider-Woman, Ultra) and Sarah Vaughn (Sparkshooter) comes Alex + Ada, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But when Ada is dropped into his life, will Alex keep her? This will be Jonathan Luna's retu
Kristin
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This manga take place in the future. Where literally everything is done by computers. To be more precise, all you have to do is say "lock" and your vehicle/car locks. Instead of just parallel parking itself, your car now drives for you. While you're at it, you can watch a hologram t.v. show at any time by just saying the command. Robots make you food, do your chores, and you pretty much don't have to lift a finger. Everything is computerized, right down to Ada, who is an android.

Now, it's not li
Anthony
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what initially drew me to this comic, perhaps in my return to regular reading of comics / graphic novels I felt the need to investigate some that were not superhero, Dystopian society or even supernatural related. Having said that, this is still futuristic / Sci-Fi and perhaps even Speculative Fiction (I've been out of the game way too long to truthfully know the correct categorizations and how this one is categorized, but you get my drift...).

I do like the clean, fairly simple art.
Joseph Gagnon
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
I went into this issue knowing nothing about the story other than people were liking it, and it was scifi. Now that I am finished the first issue, I understand the cover artwork on this first issue. Ada is an android. Alex is having a birthday, he's broken up with his girlfriend 8 months prior, but is still hung up on her. He can't even have fun at the surprise party his friends threw him.

He has something implanted in his brain that transmits his thoughts to his electronic devices. I thought th
P D
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
(3.5)

The first issue is relatively slow-moving: it's all setup of the world, so not that much to say. Lots of potential for exploring human-AI relations (and transhumanism in general) in an interesting way, but also lots to slide into well-trod territory.

The opening was a little expositiony, but I don't read many sci-fi comics so I don't know if it's a common way to handle giving the background. The other option that leaps immediately to mind is the convenient eavesdropping on a conversation abo
Val
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alex + Ada is pretty engrossing. True, its most basic premise and themes (that of an android's humanity or lack thereof, and whether it's okay to fall in love with one) have been done over in various books and movies over the years, most notably for me in Chobits and Bicentennial Man but, somehow the way Jonathan Luna handles it feels refreshing to me.

The first few issues I've read are like a meditation, with the pace almost glacial and the art so minimal and clean. Yet, while most books would
Morrigan
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Alex + Ada sets up a world in a near future wear androids are a reality and panic about A.I. is not only real and prevalent but justified (there was a massacre by sentient system) This first Volume is basically full of world building. As such, it moved slowly as it had a lot to do in terms of world building. What it did, it did it well. The world building is solid complete with logical connectors. Nothing really seems unbelievable. That's the best part of this comic, I can believe this could hap ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Okay, why didn't I know about this book? Seriously. It's about AI and androids. And I love robot stories!

Anyway. This is set in the near-future, where technology is a lot more advanced and AI is very developed. So developed that there was a massacre a year earlier.

Alex leads a monotonous lonely life. No matter how hard his family and friends try to involve him, he always looks bored. Even a surprise birthday party doesn't cheer him up. But maybe the gift his cheeky grandmother gives him might...
alana
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alex + Ada has been on my radar for awhile, and I meant to read it as a BOTM for Graphic Novel Reading Group. So far the library hasn't picked up this series, but the first issue is now available for $1 as part of Image Firsts. Yea cheap comics!

My love of this first issue may correlate strongly to my enjoyment of Ex Machina which I watched earlier this week. Thus far, I love the world in which Alex + Ada is set: smart houses, brain-com, lots of holograms. The stark, still, crisp illustration st
Meg

• Think Tank, Vol. 1
  • Rocket Girl #1
  • Archer & Armstrong, Volume 2: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
  • Shutter #1
JONATHAN LUNA co-created and illustrated THE SWORD, GIRLS, and ULTRA (all Image Comics) with his brother, Joshua Luna. He co-created and illustrated ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn. He wrote and illustrated STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS (Image Comics). His work also includes the art for SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN (Marvel Comics), written by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed.

Jonathan was born in Calif

Alex + Ada (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Alex + Ada #2