Start by marking “Moth (The Moth Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Moth (The Moth Saga #1)

Moth

(The Moth Saga #1)

They say the world used to turn. They say that night would follow day in an endless dance. They say that dawn rose, dusk fell, and we worshiped both sun and stars.

That was a long time ago.

The dance has died. The world has fallen still. We float through the heavens, one half always in light, one half always in shadow. Like the moth of our forests, one wing white and the o
Published October 22nd 2013 by Moonclipse

To ask other readers questions about Moth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moth

Navessa
I love Lucky Charms. It’s a great cereal. When I was younger, I used to eat around the marshmallows so that I could eat them all at the end. It was a reward for finishing the more boring parts first. It made eating it fun. And then I grew up and between the stress of a job in a highly technical field, a mortgage, student and car loans, yard work, house work, etc, etc, that delayed satisfaction has lost its appeal.

So I now have this endearing (my fiancé claims annoying) little habit of eating th
Navessa
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
ATTENTION: This whole series is currently on sale for $0.99!

And then I grew up, and between the stress of a job in a highly technical field, a mortgage, student and car loans, yard work, house work, etc, etc, that delayed satisfaction has lost its appeal.

So I now have this en
Jon Cassan
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book started off interesting, a bit improbable but interesting. I just could not come to like the main protagonists torin and koyee at all. All the other supporting characters were not interesting enough either except for Bailey who seemingly has no ability to control herself. I basically gave up after this fishermans daughter koyee somehow ends up as some sort of military genius and shouting orders and directing soldiers on how to defend the city. I mean come on this is the same girl whose ...more
Kathie
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up Moth, I did so looking for something to save me from another book that I just couldn't finish.

What a great choice I made!

Moth immediately drew me in and the other day, when I glanced down and saw that I had hit 78% I wondered how that had happened, I was completely shocked that I was that far along. Moth pulled me in so completely that the reading of it went by in a blink. I found the pacing to be perfect, and don't recall a slow moment within the book.

I absolutely loved the cha
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Mar 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Navessa
Free on Amazon.fr. The whole series is on sale for €0.99.

Series also available on Amazon.es for €1.04 and on Amazon.com for $0.99.

Francesca
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
As soon as I started to read Moth, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. It has every fantasy cliché and stereotype you could think of from the very first page. I found it completely forgettable, as soon as I put it down I forgot all the characters' names and I'm really not sure how it works out that a year passes for one guy but the Elorian girl thinks it's only been a few months. Their timelines seemed SO forced; so many non-events happen just so time will move along for both protagonists.

Honestly, I t
Michael *Windrunner*
Review to come
Mark Stone
Nov 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I knew I was going to have issues with this book when I found a typo in the first sentence. I did not, however, guess things would go south as quickly as they did. Had I read the book blurb (bought this as part of an eight book collection), I would have skipped Moth entirely because there's nothing worse than a Fantasy world which has not been well thought out. The suspension of disbelief is broken right off the bat. The world for Moth is static, which means it should be completely inhospitable. ...more
David Parton
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book features characters you won't care about and conflicts that are contrived.
Cathryn
Feb 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Cathryn by: Navessa
2/28/15: The whole series is $0.99 on Amazon Kindle.
Nathan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This ended up being a fun read. Nothing mind-blowing, but just some decent fantasy. I thought that the world was engaging and exciting. The characters started out a bit basic and flat but they grew throughout and improved. The same could be said of the plot too. And again, nothing phenomenal in the writing but no large flaws either. Just a solid, fun book. I think eventually I would like to read the sequel, as this one left on a pretty exciting ending, but it won't be my next few reads. Anyways, ...more
Cianna Sunshine & Mountains Book Reviews
***Review has been done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our Fansite: www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.ng ***

#NerdGirlSunshine review

I was first introuduced to Daniel's writing style when I got to read an earlier book about dragons. I love dragons. I couldn't resist. But now, Daniel has come out with a new book. Moth, a world of half darkness and half light. Two groups of people unbelieving of the other. 1 group of radical monks that want t
Elaina
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this 5 stars without a second thought. Moth is inventive, imaginative and is decidedly in the epic realms of both fantasy and sci-fi. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Kristen
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of Moth from Netgalley.

Disclaimer:

I try to write spoiler free reviews, but inadvertently, usually let a few things slip. Sorry in advance!

The skinny:

In a world that has stopped turning, two civilizations reside: Eloria (the part of the world that is cloaked in darkness), and Timandra (the part of the world that is in sunlight). One of the main characters, Koyee, is from Oshy, a small fishing village in Eloria. Torin and Bailey, two more main characters, are from Fairwoo
Aaron
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, fantasy
Well, that was disappointing, I have had this book and series on my TBR for over a year and a half but now I do not think I’ll read past the first anytime soon.

(view spoiler)
J.S. Bangs
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book because, you know, it was free on Amazon, and it seemed like a good entry into Arenson's oeuvre. This was, I believe, the first book that Arenson wrote and published... and unfortunately it shows.

Let's recognize the good stuff: the setting is interesting and unique. The world is divided into two halves, a day half and a night half, following a poorly-understood catastrophe in the distant past which caused the world to stop turning. The night half of the world is expecially intri
Shandra
This is a difficult one for me to rate. When the story opened up, I was sucked in. Solid four stars. When we were introduced to Koyee, it dropped to three stars, with slight moments of two at times. I thought about walking away several times, but I rarely do that and was encouraged by others to continue. At around 65% I was again sucked in. I had maybe another moment or two where I lost interest, but otherwise it was good after that.

I'm not skilled at writing reviews like so many are on here. B
Ruth Miranda
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We are the night."
I can't even begin to express how much I enjoyed this book. How much I loved reading it. To be rather honest, I picked it up because of the numerous bad reviews. They spiked my curiosity, for the more I read them, the more I was convinced this book was for me. And I was not wrong. As a fantasy novel, this book has all the things I crave, all that I love. Slow paced, giving me all the time to immerse myself into the intricately detailed world, character driven in the sense that
kels
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Started off solid - I was really excited in the first few pages, because this seemed like it was going to be amazing. Then Koyee was introduced, and I hated her like nobody's business. SO. MUCH. I actually felt a lot like Arenson struggled to write decent women characters, because I hated Bailey too. The men were interesting and diverse and motivated, but the women were very shallow and one-dimensional, basically props to the male story arcs.

The world is incredible, very detailed and rich, and
Andi
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I had high hopes for this one, but I felt a little let down.

Moth essentially follows Torin and Koyee, from the light and dark sides of their world, as both journey towards war with the other side. The problem was, there were so many parts that just had the characters moving around from place to place that I got bored quickly. I also didn't much care for either Torin or Koyee. But it was the plot that really got me - this book is filled with hate and prejudices (although not from either of the t
Lauren
Feb 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book is its write-up. What could have been a great story just fell flat. I didn't like either protagonist, they did stupid things and I didn't really care what happened to them. The female protagonist, Koyee, was meant to be 16 but seemed more like a 12 year old. The only reason I didn't abandon this book is because I have a weird compulsion to finish every book I start reading - sometimes years later.
Jennavier
Feb 28, 2015 marked it as read-sample-and-passed  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, this book doesn't work for me for stylistic reasons. Arenson's voice falls into the 'saga' style. It's an (in my opinion) over the top way of writing in the heroic tradition. As a long time fantasy fan it's never worked for me. I can see other people loving it but I'm not interested.
Sadie Forsythe
#DNF 27%

Just too simplistic for my taste. The characters seemed rather shallow and naive (as did the narration), but there was plenty of book left for that to change when I gave up. Basically, I just wasn't enjoying it so I set it aside.
Lana
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book which blew me away, it's idea of the world standing still on its axis with half the world being all the time in the sunlight and the other half all the time in darkness with a dusk area being the dividing border and no man's land is so interesting! As is usual in the world people are afraid of anything that is different to themselves, hence the people of the sun where scared of those of the night, in fact they considered them to be creatures and less than human whilst those of the ...more
TheGuardian
I went into this book expecting it to be average, and now that I’m done here’s my honest review.
The beginning was indeed average. Basic. By the 50% I was annoyed and flustered.
This book had many plot holes, unrealistic events, inconsistencies, and was overall rough.
But the ending was great, surprisingly. I enjoyed the fighting and war scenes. The plot was good enough by the end to make me want to read the rest of the series.
This books issues would be easily solved if it had 100-200 more pages
Anna Whitfield
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than I hoped to. It does what a book is supposed to: kept me scrolling through the ebook and made me feel some intense emotions at times; though at times I was homicidal toward an ignorant and despised character (Ferius).

If a book keeps me turning pages and makes me feel triumph at more than one point, I view it as a success. That's why I give this book 4 stars.

The dark portion of the world, Eloria, was painted in my mind to be a very beautiful place and I grew attached t
Lacey
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
That was an excellent story. A little slow in the beginning but it builds up and makes the second half of the story so much more fulfilling. There is great character development throughout the story and the world building is easy to understand, as it's basic fantasy stuff but with twists. Koyee was incredibly naive but her character felt realistic and you couldn't help but root for her. The same with Torin. What I did enjoy was that the King was at least truthful with his motives, at least to hi ...more
Hilary
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy

Thousands of years ago, their world used to turn. Now Moth is divided, with one side always in daylight and the other always in darkness. The people also divided, each adapting to their surroundings. Eventually the other race became unknown, then part of myth, then feared, and hatred was born of that fear.

In "Moth" we follow a man from one race and a woman from the other as they share parallel journeys of hope and despair, as loyalties are divided and old feuds resurrected, and as certa
Brandi
DNF at 48% :/

I'm not sure where I went wrong with this book - that synopsis is so fabulous! - but it was just not pulling me in at all (good gawd I've been trying to read this for 20 days). Too slow, and at 48% if I'm not invested in the characters then I'm not invested in the story. It's time to admit defeat.
Sonja
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the storyline of a world that stopped turning and so much time has passed the people on the day side believe the people on the night side are must a myth... Great characters and the division of the two worlds is remarkable.

Also the fanatical religious aspect is very interesting... wonderful example of mob mentality and how easily one man can influence thousands.

• Paranormal Days Gone Awry
  • Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)
  • Flight (I Am Just Junco, #3)
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • The Beginning (Erin the Fire Goddess #1)
  • House of Corruption
  • Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer
  • Downpour (Ember, #2)
  • The Gatekeeper (The Marenon Chronicles, #2)
  • Delirium: Debt Collector Episode One (Debt Collector Episode One)
  • Light and Shadow (Hayle Coven #11)
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Agartha's Castaway - Book 2 (Trapped In The Hollow Earth, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Jade (Once Upon a Zombie Apocalypse #1 POV 2)
  • Shadows of the Realm (The Circle of Talia, #1)
  • Cold Light
  • Fire & Shadow (Hand of Kali, #1)
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh

The Moth Saga (6 books)
  • Empires of Moth (The Moth Saga #2)
  • Secrets of Moth (The Moth Saga #3)
  • Daughter of Moth (The Moth Saga #4)
  • Shadows of Moth (The Moth Saga, #5)
  • Legacy of Moth (The Moth Saga, #6)
“Hatred is easier to feel than love. War unites men more than peace. They forget that war always burns both sides.” 1 likes
“Let us join our armies. Let us rally our people around a common cause, turning their rage away from us. Let us march into the night itself, our banners flying high, and conquer the land of shadows.” 0 likes