Start by marking “The Beacon” as Want to Read:
The Beacon

The Beacon

How far would you go to help a new friend? Would you kill someone?

How do you know what is and isn't real?

When The Beacon beckons safe harbor isn't guaranteed.
Published December 1st 2013 by A.B. Shepherd (first published November 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Beacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beacon

Start your review of The Beacon
Brenda
Terrified and trembling with the cold, she held tightly from her position on the deck. The vicious storm had hit without warning; she had no idea if she would survive, or even how she would survive. Suddenly, consciousness was knocked from her – she was not aware of her lovely little boat bashing itself to pieces on the rocks.

When she wakened she was aware of someone trying to help her, the water she was sipping eased the discomfort she felt but not the pain in her aching body. Drifting in and o
Kriss
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weekly-shorts
*SHM* Lets get back to the matter at hand, my interview / review. You see, I read this novella, twice. The first time it smacked in me in the face and left me on the side of the road gasping for air. Of course, it was one of many things which has broadsided me this last week. Now, this was not a bad thing, it was just because it was POWERFUL (pay attention to this apt description because this story is powerful, completely and utterly powerful).

Saturday
Jessica
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kathy
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to read. It has a twist and turns that you would never aspect in the book. I couldn't put it down. I will stay it's weird in the beginning but in a really good way. That's what makes the book. I would love to read another by this author. The book caught my attention from the beginning and leaves you guessing. Defiantly recommend this to readers that like exciting books. Who know being stranded on an island would be so interesting. The Beacon ...more
Rachel Graft
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read. If you are looking for a book to take you away but do not want a huge book. This is it. I could not put it down. I read from start to finish!!! A.B. Shepherd is a great author & this story speaks for itself. You will not know what is happening or where you are, past or present & why. There is action & suspense & A. B. makes you think!!! A great read!!! ...more
Donna Huber
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting. A little disconcerting. Going have to think about it for a little while. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads. ...more
MELODY
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind bending ride! Extremely well written. This book kept me guessing and I loved it.
Mikey B.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beacon is a hidden gem that luckily I’ve discovered. I’ve been at this book for hours since I had to keep putting my tablet down. You see, it wasn’t because I wanted to start and stop.

One Word.

Kids.

Each time I set my tablet down, I rushed back to it.

Do you believe some people can see things that others can’t? Yes. Does that make me crazy?

Do you believe in ghost? Yes, still scared of the dark. And, no, I’m not a child. (Mid 30’s)

Is time traveling a real possibility? (Laughing) No.

Would
Caren
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This reads like a first draft. While there are some nice passages it is rushed and the characters don't develop well. We have a man in the opening that is with our main character, they are sailing together and they are caught in a storm.
Poor guy, he seems to be forgotten, though, both by our main character and our writer.
The main character never once wonders hat happened to this lost man.
We slip through times and generations, but our heroine accepts everything too easily, she never really ques
Lynn Reynolds
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for review from the author. I was not compensated nor was I required to write a positive review.

The Prologue was so descriptive that I felt like I was on the boat with the characters. Just like our female character, she can’t see a lot of what’s going on so she relies on what she hears. And the reader relies on her on to tell them what is going on. We use this to form pictures in our mind.

The reader is a silent voyeur in a world where most of us will never experience what h
Ann Massey
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion only a small portion of writing ranks as literature. "The Beacon" is a book that deserves the accolade of literary fiction. Shepherd is one of those people who writes prose so beautifully that a plot-driven reader like me, savoured the descriptions. You see I like to know what happens next. Impatient, I sometimes skip whole pages in my rush to know what happens next. Not this time. It is testimony to Shepherd's impressive gift that I didn't skip a paragraph.

A story of family love a
Karen Toz
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Beacon tells the tale of a woman shipwrecked on an island. She finds herself rescued in a home (a lighthouse really), taken care of by a woman who carries her own burdens. Yet, is she real? Are her burdens real? I read The Beacon in one evening - in one sitting actually, and not because of its novella length. I honestly couldn't put it down. Even after I finished, I found myself sitting for an extended period of time thinking "wow." The Beacon reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode - it was ...more
A.B. Shepherd
Nov 05, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The Beacon is a novella and a psychological thriller. In my opinion it is a bit Stephen King-esque.

I tried to do something with The Beacon that I have never seen done before. I'm not saying I am the first to do it - it certainly may have been - only that I haven't seen it done.

I've written this book without ever naming the protagonist. From the feedback I've gotten so far it works, but it is up to you - the reader - to let me know if YOU think it works. I'd love to hear what you think.

Ebook re
Kory Shrum
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Beacon is a great read! Right from the beginning, the dramatic tension pulls you into the story. Not just because her physical being is in danger either—it is so much more than that! And when it becomes clear that the protagonist is in a dangerous situation, you are immediately invested in what will happen to her. Some of you may be put off by the idea of another shipwreck story, but I can assure you that this is totally different! The story and the wonderful way it is told are both unique. ...more
Caroline Angel
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twists and turns, great suspense, you are never sure if the leading lady is dreaming, travelling through time or caught up in a ghost story!
A suspenseful novella, a good quick read to get you thinking...
Mia Redgrave
Janet Stewart
Feb 08, 2015
Lynn Demsky
This book ought to be studied in college 1 4 Mar 10, 2014 03:52AM

• Sins and Saints (Taking Flight, #2)
  • Reckless Rules (The Elites of Weis-Jameson Prep Academy #1)
  • Mr. October (Calendar Boys #10)
  • Doves and Demons (Taking Flight, #1)
  • Rock Star
  • Black Swan Affair
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Character Reactions from Head to Toe
  • Her Stepbrother (Love Triangle)
"Never stop dreaming or reading." - A.B. Shepherd

A.B. Shepherd grew up in Lansing, Michigan, but moved to Australia once her children had grown and empty nest syndrome set in.

She now lives in the Limestone Coast region of South Australia, with her husband and their imaginary friends.

She loves living near the Southern Ocean and often finds it inspiring. She can usually be found seaside at Port MacD

News & Interviews

“I no longer knew what was real and what wasn’t. The lines between reality and delusion had become so blurred.” 16 likes
“I wanted to soothe and comfort her, the way she had comforted her daughters.” 12 likes