Start by marking “La testigo” as Want to Read:
La testigo

La testigo

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  61,018 ratings  ·  4,689 reviews
Con dieciséis años, Elizabeth Fitch se atreve por primera vez a desafiar a su madre y a romper con su férreo control. Su vida cambiará por completo cuando una noche conozca al atractivo hijo del dueño de una discoteca, Ilya Volkov, el capo de la mafia rusa establecida en Chicago y presencie el asesinato del primo de Ilya y el de su amiga Julie.

A partir de ese momento se
Published October 21st 2013 by Plaza & Janes (first published April 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about La testigo, please sign up.
Meg It is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help…moreIt is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help but fall in love with.(less)
Jayna No. Nora Roberts doesn't do sequels. She will do trilogies, and back in the day she had a few series.…moreNo. Nora Roberts doesn't do sequels. She will do trilogies, and back in the day she had a few series. (less)

·  61,018 ratings  ·  4,689 reviews

Start your review of La testigo
♡Karlyn P♡

Nora Roberts is BACK!! OK, I know many of you didn’t realize she left, but over the last few years her newer books have not cut it for me. I found several of her latest stories full of filler and irrelevant content, and the core stories suffered as a result. But in The Witness the story was tight, the characters interesting, the romance swoon worthy, and the suspense totally believable. Everything tied together, just like a great story should!

I never thought romance suspense was Ms Roberts best
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
4 stars (seriously leaning towards 5 stars)

Well, well, well… What a pleasant surprise!

I’m new to Nora Roberts and, to tell you the truth, I didn’t expect too much. I mean, my neighbor was reading her books while I was crying over Bambi’s mom.

Well I was wrong.

Everything was kick ass good, though the heroine outshone everybody and everything. She’s one badass chick and I want to be her best friend. One of my most favorite heroines ever.

QUICK REVIEW:

Enjoyment: 4.5/5
Writing style: 4/5
Storyline:
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

When I tell people that I read romance, they often ask, "Like Nora Roberts?" I'll confess, I used to scoff at those people. I viewed myself as way hipper or cooler than Nora Roberts... but now that I've actually TRIED her stuff, I'll admit that I was dead wrong.

Nora Roberts can write her ass off.

This book is for fans of quirky, independent women. It is for us geeks and smarties, for fans of sex-positive female characters. It is for lovers of romantic suspense that isn't overly dramatic.

Sal
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong. This book is great. But it could have been so much more.

Though I haven't read any other books by Nora Roberts, I know she's a romance writer, not crime, or thriller, but I couldn't help wishing this book was a crime/thriller. The set-up to the main plot was really really good, fascinating, but then the rest of the book never reaches that level again.

To be honest, I'm a bit mean giving this two stars, but on a comparative level to the books I would give three stars, it falls
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo nr_zps082add22.jpg

Nora Roberts has always been THAT author for me. The author that you know no matter what mood you were in, her books would be just right. But for some unexplainable reason, I have not read one of her books in such a long time. So when I received The Witness as a gift from my wonderful friend, I dove right in. And, as sure as the sun rises in the East, the book was perfect in every way.

First, I want to introduce you to Elizabeth Fitch. She is the sixteen year old daughter of Dr. Susan L.
Jilly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
“If I wanted friends, I’d join a book club.”

Yeah, I like this girl. She had an extremely shitty day when she was 16.

No, even shittier than this one.

She witnessed a double murder and became the key to taking down a powerful organized crime family. This led to witness-protection, and more murders, and then to a life on the run until we find her living as a hermit in the Ozarks.

All she ever wanted to do was fit in. But, it just wasn't meant to be.

Missed it by that much.

So, our heroine meets up
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

It’s hard to deny the talent and mass appeal of Nora Roberts considering The Witness is her 200th book. I mean...wow! That is quite an impressive achievement and a boon for romance readers. I consider myself a fan of hers, and I especially loved her Bride Quartet series and the few J.D. Robb In Death books that I’ve read. Some of her books tend to be a little bit too generic and plain vanilla for my taste, but I occasionally enjoy their comfort
Karen Bonilla
WARNING*** Contains Spoilers. I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts but I'm not sure why people gave this book such rave reviews. This book started out with a bang. Elizabeth is a 16 year old genius rebelling against her cold,controlling mother. She meets up with a Russian mafia don and witnesses the brutal murder of a mafia henchman and her teenaged female friend. She ends up on the run for her life. Twelve years later, she moves to a small town and meets and falls in love with the local sheriff, ...more
Ingie
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Kathleen
Written July 17, 2015

4 1/2 Stars - Fantastic listening and a good well told thrilling plot. I'm to be honest surprised, but this NR romance impressed me...much

I bought this Nora Roberts as an 16:18 hrs audiobook (narrated by Julia Whelan) already back in March. I honestly thought I was finished and done with NB-books several years ago, but never say never.

The Witness (from 2012) has got so many happy reviews, and was much appreciated by both Kathleen and Heather as an audiobook. Convinced by
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
I absolutely loved this book! My emotions were all over the place on this one from happy, sad, scared, anticipation and profound sarrow for the heroine.

photo 67208DA6-7C6A-4A44-85A3-C28F178BE4BA_zps7dehnj1k.jpeg

I absolutely fell in love with the strong yet venerable girl/woman and I loved that she finally found someone that she can finally count on. Brooks and liz/Abby have become my all time FAVORITE Nora Roberts H&h...my only issue is that I wish we had more of an epilogue.
MelissaB
Fantastic read featuring one of the best heroines I have seen in a long time. She was so smart and capable, it was fun to see her try to understand how to deal with the friendly people in her new hometown. The hero was such a great personality, he was funny and easy going but had endless patience to get through all of Abigail/Liz's barriers (which she had very good reasons for having). I enjoyed all of this book, parts were very suspenseful and other parts were funny and engaging. Nora Roberts ...more
Karla
The Witness
4 Stars!
Very enjoyable read by Nora Roberts. Being a huge fan of her In Death series, which she writes under the pseudonym of J D Robb, I wanted to give her other books a try. I found myself totally absorbed in this compelling and intriguing novel. From the exciting beginning, when Liz becomes a witness to a brutal crime, to her transformation into Abigail, loner and security expert, I was drawn to her character and circumstances. The town where she settles is full of interesting
Catherine
After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that it has been quite a while since I have read a new standalone book by Nora Roberts. It was a nice change. I have no problem reading about a group of friends or relatives in a trilogy, but it was nice to know that everyone I met in the book existed solely to enrich this book.

One thing I love about this author is the way she sets up the backstory. If you’re familiar with her work then you probably already know that she likes to cut her books into
♥Rachel♥
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-book
3.5-4 Stars for the story and writing.

3 Stars for narration. The narrator sounded very young and that was fine when Elizabeth was sixteen, and just okay when she was twenty-eight. Her male voices were okay. The narrator's Russian accent was very good.
Duchess Nicole
While this book took a loooong time to get set up, even the setup part was really good. Elizabeth rebels against her robot Mom (she's not really a robot, but the lady doesn't hug, wear color, or do anything without a schedule) when she's sixteen. That's what teenagers do, and even though Liz is a bit of a mini-robot, she's still a teenager girl who wants to live her own life, not the one her 'mother' picks for her.

This one decision leads to the witnessing of a horrible crime committed by a
Foxfire
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF for me. I loved the first 25% where the young Elizabeth breaks free from her controlling mother and witnesses a murder.

The next section shows her 12 years later, living a life in hiding. This is where the story fell apart for me.

1. After 2-3 brief conversations, Elizabeth, a recluse who avoids all human contact, and Brooks, a police chief on duty, engage in bold banter about whether to have sex or not. I felt this was totally out of character and unrealistic.

2. In the next scene, we get the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of analytical, smart heroines matched with laid back heroes
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Shawna
I want to thank Shawna for recommending this book to me. In all honesty, I am not a huge fan of Nora Roberts' romance novels, although I do like her JD Robb In Death series. While this book didn't change my opinion of her on convert her to a must-read author for me, I enjoyed this book, and I can see she is a very good writer. Having said that, I don't find her romance style very moving personally. As far as suspense, she definitely works better for me.

This novel feels like an odyssey. It
Lizzy
The Witness is a great entertainment. There is a controlling mother, murder and a teenager-witness, corruption, betrayal, hiding under an alias and building a new life, constant fear of discovery and romance (it’s a Nora Roberts book, after all). If you are looking for some angst and thrilling moments, it might be just the pick for you.
Kathleen
4.5 stars, upped to 5 because I keep re-playing it. Lol. LOVE the book and the narrator! (But a few quibbles, listed further below). Great narration by Julia Whelan. What a performance! She transformed the print version into something even more vivid, poignant, funny, and heartwarming.

This is Nora Roberts' 200th book, but I had never read her before. I understand this is outside her normal formula to some degree. I loved it. A feel-good story, despite small-town thugs, big-city murder, corrupt
Angie
At age 16 Elizabeth Fitch has a fight with her mom and rebels from the strict atmosphere of home. She does something stupid (makes fake IDs and goes to a club) and disaster ensues. She witnesses a double murder by the Russian mob. Even though she is drunk and sick, she has a photographic memory so she can tell the cops everything that happened. She is placed in Witness Protection but the house is breached by bad cops and her protectors die. Elizabeth/Liz goes on the run for the next 12 years. ...more
Kristal
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars just because I became so engrossed that I burned the chicken and had to order pizza! This was classic Nora Roberts.

Quick summary --- Liz witnesses a double murder, gets put in protective custody, her safety is compromised and she runs for 12 years. She settles in a small town and Brooks, the local chief of police, and her become involved. :)

Abigail (what Liz is know as now) learns that being alive is not the same as having a life. She finds a man (Brooks) who loves her even after he
Lexy
Mei
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mei by: Linda
Shelves: contemporary
Oh, I loved Abigail soooo much!!! She reminded me of Brennan!

She's a genius, but she's akward in human relations. She's literal and overly logical. Just like Brennan!

And does Brooks resembles Booth? Not exactly. He's much easier than Booth, more cunning and ingenious! He know how to treat Abigail and her sternness. How to reach the soft woman inside her. And it's a real pleasure to read it!

Abigail, being a real genius, recognize and doesn't loose time accepting that Brooks is The One for her!

I
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Shortly after beginning THE WITNESS, I wondered if this book was the right match for me. I kept with it and am I SO GLAD I did because this book ended up being another great read by Nora Roberts.

Elizabeth is a star college student, a brainiac with big aspirations and she possesses the natural talent to achieve them. Unfortunately, the dream she is pursuing as a doctor isn’t really her dream. It’s her controlling mother’s plan for her. One day Elizabeth just snaps and
Ann Lou
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Wow. This book is long but worth every minute of the reading time. I've been in a thriller-romantic suspense mood these days. My new drug.

This book has four parts. The first part is my favorite of all. We have a smart, brave, strong heroine. She has an arsenal and knows how to protect herself. The story starts when she was just sixteen. So many things happened. I couldn't stop reading. We get it meet the Hero at 21% but I didn't mind. A lot to keep me interested. The Hero is kind and
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Witness is perhaps Nora Roberts’ best and most successful romantic suspense novel, which is saying something considering the dozens we have to choose from. It’s a long novel, as her romances usually are, but every word is thought-through and every sentence exactly in its place. Nora has a steady, experienced hand fully capable of leading us through decades of backstories and keeping us fully engaged the whole time.

This story starts with an overprotected teen during her first and
Robin
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When sixteen-year-old Elizabeth Fitch rebels against her controlling mother who plans out every step of Elizabeth's life, everything goes wrong. Drinking and partying at a night club, a man with a Russian accent lures Elizabeth and her friend to his home. After that night, nothing was ever the same.

Twelve years later, Elizabeth is calling herself Abigail Lowery. She lives alone in a cabin in the Ozarks. Abigail designs security systems, some of which she is using on her own home. Police Chief
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, romance, steamy
This book was pure awesome. That should be the end of my review, but since I'm an unashamed blowhard, I'll probably go on a bit more.

Elizabeth Fitch/Abigail Lowery is a unique heroine. Planned and scripted from birth, right down to the selection of donor father, Elizabeth has had zero input in her activities, friends, or scholarship. She put up with that for 16 years but when her mother cancelled vacation when Elizabeth returned from her first year at Harvard (some of the planning panned out
Carrie
Re-read in audio 10/12.
Narrator: Julia Whelan

Audio version: Julia Whelan was perfect for the characters. She "got" Elizabeth/Abigail! I bumped the rating to 5 stars for the audio version. Still 4 stars for print.

The Witness is a very solid 4 star book. It starts with a bang. The first 100 pages are on-the-edge-of-your-seat riveting. I wasn't at all unhappy when the pace (and my heart rate) slowed to more normal levels for the central 1/2 of the book. While the first 100 pages sets up the

• Open Season
  • Mr. Perfect
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Dream Man
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Cry No More
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
“She wants to learn how to handle a gun.

Well, I want George Clooney naked in my bed, but I haven't attempted kidnapping. Yet.”
36 likes
“But when two people feel something, they ought to respect that enough to figure it out” 32 likes