Start by marking “Akata Warrior (Akata Witch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Akata Warrior (Akata Witch, #2)

Akata Warrior

(Akata Witch #2)

A year ago, Sunny Nwazue, an American-born girl Nigerian girl, was inducted into the secret Leopard Society. As she began to develop her magical powers, Sunny learned that she had been chosen to lead a dangerous mission to avert an apocalypse, brought about by the terrifying masquerade, Ekwensu. Now, stronger, feistier, and a bit older, Sunny is studying with her mentor Su ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Akata Warrior, please sign up.

Nnedi
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's awesome. And I know this because I'VE actually read it. :-)
August 28, 2015
Laurie Anderson
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AKATA WARRIOR is the most imaginative, gripping, enchanting fantasy novel I have ever read. It will blow your mind and leave you hungry for more!

I was lucky enough to get an advance- copy - I think it will be published in October. Put it on your To-Read list now!

Allison
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books more than......almost everything else. Before I read Akata Witch back when it first came out, it had been a while since I really felt like I was reading a "Forever Book". This is an awesome sequel and if you want to get that first book love feeling again: READ THESE. Sunny and Chichi and Sasha and ORLU. *clutches chest* One of my favorite casts.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Now, stronger, feistier, and a bit older, Sunny is studying with her mentor Sugar Cream and struggling to unlock the secrets in her strange Nsibidi boo
The Captain
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! This book is the second of the Akata Witch duology. While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the akata witch then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

This story continues the adventures of Sunny, a girl born in the U.S. but who currently lives with her family in Nigeria. A year has passed. Sunny is still dealing with the revelation that she has the magical powers of the Leopard People and with the effort of keeping that secret from her fami
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
It's good to be back, Akata Warrior is a stellar follow up. Everything is a grand improvement (yes, that's even possible). I love everything about it: the mythology, and world building. Of course, the characters ARE MY CHILDREN. They give the story a vibrant ambiance that makes this series an enjoyable ride.

The best part of reading Akata Witch is the nostalgic vibe. I feel homesick in a good way, it's like coming back after being lost elsewhere.

I would've given it 5 stars if only the last 100
Donalyn
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much. I'm already sad I have to wait so long for the next one!
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
A warrior's journey continues...

5/5 Review to come
Marzie
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I was fortunate to receive an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

4.5 Stars

It's no secret that Nnedi Okorafor has become one of my favorite authors over the past couple of years. The richly envisioned world that she has built in stories like Binti and Akata Witch leave me enthralled in a way few authors of fantasy can and have done. I was so excited to receive an ARC of Akata Warrior. I read Akata Witch after I discovered Binti and was sad that there had been no follow-up, since Akata Witch was wri
Lindsay
I have been eagerly anticipating this release ever since first reading Akata Witch, which sent me down the Okorafor rabbit hole, reading everything she's published. And I reread AW before diving into this one as it had been 6 years since I first started on that journey. This, though, didn't quite hit the same high notes the first book did for me. There was *a lot* of recap throughout the book, which may have been ok if I hadn't just reread it, but as such it really slowed down the book for me. I ...more
Skip
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Book #1, Sunny Nwazue was inducted into the secret Leopard Society, Nigerians with magical powers. Along with her Leopard Society friends, Orlu, Chichi, and Sasha, and her spirit face, Anyanwu, Sunny will lead a dangerous mission to stop an apocalypse by a terrifying masquerade, Ekwensu. Along the way, Sunny finds her own path, breaking rules, having to support her older brother, who gets involved with a very bad crowd at college as well as deal with her own fears of demons.

The beauty of thi
Rebecca
I don't know if I didn't like this one because it wasn't as formative for me in YA literature or if I just am more objective now. Either way, I liked it a lot, but I definitely was a lot more confused and wasn't as fully immersed in this one than I was in Akata Witch.

Akata Warrior continues as Sunny learns more about her unique abilities and about Leopard culture. But the more she learns about her world and her spirit face, the more danger she is in and the more she feels isolated. This time sh
Sara-Jayne
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Akata Warrior is part two of a series full of magic and Nigerian mythology and all kinds of fun adventures. I’m kind of obsessed with it. These books just suck you into their unique world, take you on about a million adventures, and then spit you out on the other side. Nnedi Okorafor creates such vivid, original fantasy worlds and wonderful characters. Reading her stories makes me feel like I’m a kid again, hiding under my blankets at night with a flashlight, desperate to read just another chapt ...more
Carmen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the concepts, the setting, and the characters. This West African world of magic is enchanting, take or leave the pun. I loved the deepening relationships in this one, especially between Sunny and Orlu and Sunny and her brothers. For flaws, the flow of the story is stilted in some places and I wish that music and memory were described a little differently, but over all it's really good.
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great followup to "Akata Witch"!
Megan Baxter
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's having a whole bunch of extra things to do when you're getting near teenage-dom, and then there's having a whole double life, which mostly takes place at night and leaves you constantly exhausted because you no sooner see the sky get dark than you have have head out to learn more about who you are and what you can do.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you ca
Kaia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This really built on a fascinating Leopard People world established in book one, and I really enjoyed it! That being said, if someone hadn't warned me in advance about the big, unnecessary love triangle added to the book, it probably wouldn't have knocked my enjoyment of the book down to three.

Haley Nixt
Well that was a bit of a disappointing follow up. The world wasn't built upon as much as I would have liked, and there wasn't really a driving tension to the plot (because apparently no one was worried about Ekwensu except Sunny). The story never felt grounded in the way Akata Witch. I also didn't like where the author went with Chichi's character. One, she feels way too young to be stringing along two guys (one of whom is around 18/19 when she's 14/15). And two, I just didn't care for that to b ...more
Hope
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this, but there were some story inconsistencies that drove my copy editor's brain crazy. Definitely need to have read Akata Witch first. This is a good series for anyone looking to expand from the western/white default for YA/adult fantasy.
Jalilah
This is the sequel to Akata Witch which was my introduction to Okorafor's writing. They are both considered Young Adult books and are delightful to read for all ages.
Natalie
I'll start by recommending this book to anyone who likes both Fantasy and west African literature. This is more like Harry Potter but with an African twist. It's based on an albino girl, Sunny, who gets inducted into some weird cultic society for people with magical powers. See, the difference between this and getting a letter from Hogwarts is that you don't go to boarding school, instead you have classes in the middle of the night twice a week. Does this count as a spoiler? The beauty of magic ...more
Maggie Librarian
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nnedi Okorafor's YA fantasy series is SOOOOOO good!
Akata's stories are so rich is West Africa culture and lore, I couldn't stop reading because Okorafor is such a masterful story teller, and I was so grateful to get a glimpse of another part world, all through the lens of a magical society! I had to wait a while in the holds line for Akata Warrior, and when I finally got my turn I was thrilled to discover no sophomore slump! Akata Warrior is a thrilling and enthralling continuation of Sunny's s
Iphios
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second installment to Akata Witch didn't disappoint, if anything, I found it more engaging. Akata Warrior is where we see our characters develop and change, not just in their powers but in their personality. One of the interesting questions that this book raises is: What is right? Our characters, even the obedient Orlu, must come to their own definition of what makes something right.

The book, however, is merely peeling through the layers. While Sunny is confronted with questions of who she t
Alexa
Aaaah! I may have been a little let down by Binti, but never by this series. Sunny is awesome and all her world and her spirit face and everything is awesome. I love how her brothers got more involved in this book.

Was the first book this brutal as well and I just forgot? I mean, wow, the parts with the confraternity and the bullying story Sunny told were awful.

My only complaint is that Chichi's treatment of the two guys is just cruel and annoying. When they bonded over music, I briefly hoped for
Sam
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first thing that must be said about Akata Warrior is that I need another book in this series. There's definitely an opening for one, and I'm really hoping that there will be a sequel eventually.

Akata Warrior continues the story of Sunny, a teenage Nigerian American, living in Africa. Without giving too much away, Sunny must continue the fight against a deadly masquerade, and discover more about herself, and her juju.
I can't choose which book in this duology that I liked more, but if you lik
Victoria Law
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though I have only vague memories of Akata Witch, I still thoroughly enjoyed this. I really appreciate Okorafor's introduction ("Let the reader beware"), which reminds readers of who Sunny and her coven are.

The book is peppered with Nigerian food that Sunny and her friends are always eating--jollof rice, fried plantain, pepper soup... Several times, I really wanted jollof rice. Don't read this if your fridge is empty!
Lori
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Excellent 2nd book in this series. I love the depth of the characters and how they are growing and changing throughout the book - and the depth of their friendship with each other and the strong family ties that shape the characters and their decisions. Sunny's world is rich in magic and reality and is filled with difficult choices and lots of action/adventure.
I recommend this series to anyone who likes a mixture of magic and realism and strong, vibrant and relatable characters.
Adriane
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
this one was even better than the first if thats possible. i cannot wait for the next one to come out. like the last one this one was a self contained story so theres no cliffhanger at the end but theres so much more story to be told about these young people, I will be sire to get the next edition when it comes out for sure.
elissa
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sunny is such a great character, and I love the back and forth between the Leopard world and modern-day Africa. Hope there are more in this series. Although this had a solid ending that could be the end of the story, there were definitely hints of more possible adventures to come.
Play Book Tag: Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor - 4 stars 1 15 Apr 02, 2018 01:40PM

• Shadowhouse Fall (Shadowshaper, #2)
  • Lifeboats: A Tale of the Young Wizards
  • Adventures of a Wimpy Werewolf: Hairy But Not Scary
  • Sita: Daughter of the Earth (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 5: Refine (Gunnerkrigg Court #5)
  • The Serpent's Shadow: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • Summer in Orcus
  • The Fisher of Bones
  • Ramayan 3392 AD, Vol. 1 (Ramayan 3392 AD, #1)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The City Born Great
  • Rise of the Black Panther
  • The Graveyard Book (The Graveyard Book, #1-2)
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge
  • Not So Stories
Nnedi Okorafor is a Nigerian American author of African-based science fiction, fantasy and magical realism for both children and adults and a professor at the University at Buffalo, New York. Her works include Who Fears Death, the Binti novella trilogy, the Book of Phoenix, the Akata books and Lagoon. She is the winner of Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Awards and her debut novel Zahrah the Windse ...more

Akata Witch (2 books)
  • Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1)
“Stay out of trouble. Be positive forces to the world.” 3 likes
“Do not take juju lightly, unless you are looking for unexpected death.” 2 likes