Start by marking “Black Widow (Elemental Assassin, #12)” as Want to Read:
Black Widow (Elemental Assassin, #12)

Black Widow

(Elemental Assassin #12)

There’s nothing worse than a cruel, cunning enemy with time to kill—and my murder to plan.

With wicked Fire elemental Mab Monroe long gone, you’d think I could finally catch a break. But someone’s always trying to take me down, either as Gin Blanco or my assassin alter-ago. Now along comes the Spider’s new arch-nemesis, the mysteriously named M. M. Monroe, who is gleefully
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published November 25th 2014 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Widow, please sign up.
Dhfan4life Yea the recaps and repetitions are still there. I just learned to push through them to get to Gin taking out the bad guy or other drama going on. And…moreYea the recaps and repetitions are still there. I just learned to push through them to get to Gin taking out the bad guy or other drama going on. And as there are just 2 books I think left after Black Widow before the series finishes, I say it would be a shame to miss out on what happens in the rest of the story. (less)

Ferdy
Spoilers

Same old, same old. The plot was pretty much the same as the last few books, it was unbelievably predictable. Also, there was no character or relationship development whatsoever, which made everyone one dimensional and dull.

-I was bored with the typical bad-guy-of-the-week type plot, the only difference this time was that Gin was fighting off someone more relevant to the series, unlike most of the other random villains. Because of that I was expecting more from Mab's daughter (Madeline)
Denisa
3.5 Ohh, fun!

Like expected, I liked this one.
Maybe it didn't really deserve the 4-star rating, but I missed these characters! If you've stuck to the story this far, it's worth continuing.
Same old plot, but it's a damn relaxing, fun read. Who wouldn't love Gin and her friends, they're absolutely great!

What is still annoying a bit is that, like always, Gin says it's always her fault, no matter what. This can get old pretty fast...

But ah well, fun, fast, relaxing read, all in all!
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

How do I love thee, Gin Blanco? Let me count the ways. I never thought I’d say this of such a long running series, but this twelfth installment was just as good, if not better than the first, and second, and third… That’s not to say that I didn’t have my doubts going in to BLACK WIDOW because all of the events leading up to this book lead me to believe that it might have ended up being a rinse/repeat of SPIDER’S REVENGE, but previous experience has taught me to have abso
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Gin's battles get taken to an even higher level with this installment of the Elemental Assassin series. She's finally going head to head with the mysterious "M.M.Monroe" and this time her powers get pushed to the limit.

As always, I'm very impressed with how well JE immerses us into her stories. It's true that there's a lot of the same ol' formula going on but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. I was really happy that this time she switches things up a bit.

I think the one thing that frustr
Choko
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

Weekly buddy read with the best buddy read gang of bloodthirsty assassin-loving people over at BB&B . I can't imagine my Wednesdays without you!
<--- I totally stole this from my friend Maria, but it fits perfectly, so I wanted to give her props!!!

This was an emotional addition to the series, not only because we get to deal with one of the most Machiavellian villains in the series, but also because it felt like the end of an era, despite eventually things taking back some shape
Karla

4 Stars! A good installment with some surprises!

While overall I enjoyed Black Widow, I did have two issues, one being, I wanted more Gin and Owen time. However, in the author's defense the storyline wasn't really conducive to a lot of romance, but I love when these two have "couple time", I'm selfish like that and wanted more. It makes me happy to see Gin finally have a man in her life that understands, accepts her for who she is, and is willing to sacrifice for her. It's always a highlight rea
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
And here it is. The dreaded meh review.

This series and I… Let's say we have a complicated relationship. It is a great series and I love Gin but Estep's writing tends to get in the way. Harsh I know but that's the way it is.

I read the first four instalments in the series despite the constant recaps and repetitions (and when I say constant I mean it sometimes felt like you were reading the same chapter over and over again).This in itself is quite a feat: I usually DNF books pretty quickly if I do
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Step into my parlor, said the Spider to the fly.

The showdown between Gin and Madeline Monroe has arrived. Madeline is determined to become the queen of Ashland’s underworld, and what better way to accomplish that than being the one who ends the famous assassin, the Spider. Madeline is unlike any of the villains Gin has faced so far. She’s manipulative and likes weaving her web, playing Gin and her friends, moving them across her chess board to accomplish her goal. She’s been studying Gin f

Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading with my lovely UF ladies and Steven at Buddies Books & Baubles

This is probably the best book of the series and you have to wait clear until Elemental Assassin 12 to get it.

Reasons Why This One is Better:

Finally the villain has a more complicated plan to kill Gin than the ever popular hulk smash or I will rape and kill you because I’m a big badass. She actually has a very well thought out and complicated plan that she spent a lot of time on and even when Gin thinks she is out of the
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

There may be some mild spoilers for book 11, POISON PROMISE  ahead.

wellwritten BOOKLOVEKICKASS 2014

After POISON PROMISE I was a little worried going into BLACK WIDOW that we would get a sense of deja vu dealing with M.M. Monroe. But I was wrong and I should know by now to trust Jennifer Estep 100%.

Gin Blanco, aka The Spider pretty much works alone but over the course of the series she’s had help from her friends and family. But BLACK WIDOW is an exercise in extreme team building, that’

Steven
This was an awesome entry into the series!!! I saw one thing coming about in the long term that came to fruition at the end of this book. Totally didn't see Madeline's personal twist coming at the end though! Yikes!!

So much fun for everyone to be involved in this one though. :)
AH
Initial Thoughts 4-4.5 stars. A fantastic installment in Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassins series. Black Widow was an exciting read and I can't wait for more Gin Blanco and her friends.

The Review:
This series just keeps on getting better and better!

Black Widow by Jennifer Estep kept me reading all night long. I just could not put it down. Set in the dark and corrupt city of Ashland, Black Widow is the 12th book (yes, 12th!) in the Elemental Assassins series.

Ashland has always been run by a c
Maria Dimitrova

This review contains spoilers for the entire series so far. Read at your own risk.

The dreaded MM Monroe has finally shown her face and is weaving her own web of destruction. And while her mother was a formidable enemy in her own right, Mab was never as dangerous as her daughter. Because Madeline has something that the Fire Elemental did not - cu
Ian
When Gin finally killed Mab Monroe she thought her life would get easier. Unfortunately since that day, every single gangster in Ashland has been out to make a name for themselves by taking her out. That is until Madeline Monroe (Mab's estranged daughter) shows up.

She's a powerful acid elemental and she's decided to take over her mother's empire, but first she needs to take care of business, and that includes getting rid of Gin and all her friends.

She's one of the most powerful elementals Gin h
Marta Cox
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is this really the twelfth book in this fabulous series? I'm beyond impressed that the author consistently comes up with new foes for the ever resourceful Gin aka The Spider. Gin is a trained assasin living in Ashland a town not too dissimilar to the fictional Gotham complete with underground mafia, crooked cops and even vampires ! Add a group of people who can control the elements and it makes for a riveting read that never fails to impress this reader.
So Gin has finally defeated the cruel Mab
Jen Davis
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a book in this series so much! It feels like Jennifer Estep breathed new life into the Elemental Assassin series, giving readers Gin Blanco as we love her best: an unvarnished killer who is loyal to the core and a survivor against all odds. I appreciate the fact that Gin has a vulnerable side under all of her bravado and some books have explored that more than others. But here, it’s just Gin kicking ass and taking names and I absolutely loved it.

This is t
Shelley
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I received this book for free from Pocket Books via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*First Thoughts*

Even after 12 novels in the Elemental Assassin series, Estep manages to somehow keep things interesting rather than jumping off the tracks like other authors have. Every time I read one of Jennifer's novels in this series, I have "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen
Penni
4-1/2 *'s. Bugged a little by her speech at the end - thought that was a little unrealistic and weak considering the audience. Still wishing I "felt" her connection with the "after" Owen a little more. Other than that, the action, the plots, the story - and a couple of "I really didn't see that one coming" moments at the end I loved, loved, loved.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Where BLACK WIDOW excels is going far beyond my expectations of a Elemental Assassin book. The series has felt repetitive at times though I keep coming back for me as I adore Gin and every other character that crosses paths with her good guy or bad. What BLACK WIDOW has done is take a series I've become comfortable with in regards to how the plot is going to go and flip it on its head. There is a game changer at the end of this book that I adore and can
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
Wow. What an amazing Paranormal book series!
Jennifer Estep sure is a surprise elemental :)

Received E-arc from publisher Sept 8th, full review will be published closer to release date!
Expected publication: November 25th 2014 by Pocket Books

PC_logo_red_black_small
Talk Supe
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
WOW! I can't say that enough! Still reeling from BLACK WIDOW. I don't have the right words yet.

Know this though, it seems that this series' lifeblood not only lie on Gin but on the Monroes too. After Spider's Revenge, the series went thru a lull. It took another Monroe to bring this back to life. So now what?
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Favorite Quote: “I don’t make threats. Just promises.”

Assassin extraordinaire Gin Blanco can’t seem to catch a break. After her major showdown with her arch nemesis and boss of the underworld, the fire elemental Mab Monroe, Gin thought she may get a little breathing room. However, Gin soon learns that when one falls, there are more to take their place. Now a new player has come to town and they may be Gin’s most dangerous adversary to date.

“…she’s a master manipulator who likes to make people
Koeur
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Publisher: Pocket Books
Publishing Date: November 2014
ISBN: 9781476774541
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 1.5/5

Publisher Description: Lethal, sexy, and always ready to protect her friends, Gin Blanco (a.k.a. the Spider) takes on the mysterious M.M. Monroe in book twelve.

Review: Love the cover only in that I am a dude.

Gin Blanco is a hard driving elemental assassin (with a heart of gold) whom kills people that piss her off. She’s hot, sexy and makes ravenous love t
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Review copy provided via NetGalley

Why I Read this Book: This is one of my all-time favorite series.

What I Liked: Probably my favorite element (no pun intended) of the Elemental Assassin series is the heroine. Gin is not just a fighter or killer; her moves are calculated, thoroughly thought out to the last detail, and executed with precision. There’s a fight scene in Black Widow that was so beautifully choreographed, and it showcases Gin’s attributes as an assassin. Gin knows she has to stay a st
Karissa
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got an ARC of this book to review through NetGalley. This is the twelfth book in the Elemental Assassin series by Estep. There are at least two more books planned for this series with the 13th book, Spider’s Trap, expected to release in July of 2015. I was really looking forward to this installment in the Elemental Assassin series but honestly it was a bit of a disappointment.

The mysterious MM Monroe is in town and determined to take over the underworld. Rather than outright challenging Gin,
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

If you haven’t read this series yet, I don’t know what you are waiting for! The Elemental Assassin series has one of the most interesting world-buildings I’ve ever read in an urban fantasy book and definitely the most badass heroine. But what makes it unique is that every secondary character is very important to the story and the bonds between them and the main character are inseparable.

In this story, Gin proves
Sunny
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
ARC Review

This review is posted at Love Affair with an E-Reader

You can’t keep a good criminal family down. Round Two: Spider vs. Monroe.

This book reminds me of the sport of boxing. There are some boxers that use finesse and others who stand toe to toe for a slugfest. There are times when the Elemental Assassin stories are more intricate plots and other times, like this one, when Gin meets her enemy straight on.

Despite the fact that she is new on the scene, Madeline Magda Monroe scares me. This o
Haz
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was....fucking epiccccc!!!! Absolutely phenomenal!!! Couldnt have been better!!!!
Namita
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was full of fast paced action and JE out did herself. Gin is the best there is!!!
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Black Widow was the story I've been waiting to read.
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • Against the Dawn (Shaede Assassin, #4)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)
  • Red Blooded (Jessica McClain, #4)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Reckoning (Fallen Siren, #2)
  • Cold Hard Secret  (Secret McQueen, #7)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Cursed By Destiny (Weird Girls, #3)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Requiem For The Dead (Dreg City, #5)
  • Night's End (Indigo Court, #5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
“I sighed. Sometimes, killing people just wasn’t worth cleaning up the mess afterward.” 12 likes