Start by marking “Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)” as Want to Read:
Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)

Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin #11)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  5,000 Ratings  ·  363 Reviews
Gin Blanco is hard-nosed, sexy, and lethal. Nicknamed “The Spider,” she’s a stone elemental assassin who brings her unique mix of magic and tact to every assignment, no matter the target.

There’s a new drug on the streets of Ashland, and its name “Burn” sums up the potent effect it has on its users. When one of her restaurant employees is threatened by dealers of the drug,
Published July 22nd 2014 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Poison Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Promise

Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr
“Some of us don’t appreciate such salty language.” My smile sharpened. “Sorry, ma’am,” I drawled. “But I can assure you that cursing is going to be the least of my sins today.”

Well at least we are back on track again after that entire book that was just one long flashback. Gin is now up against an emotion draining, drug dealing, mad scientist vampire so we are back on solid ground.

It’s been a busy year in Gins life. She’s killed a few bad guys, got her heart broken by one dude and fell in lo
Choko
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with my UF assassins at BB&B! We meet every Wednesday and compare our silverstone knives....

It finally happened! A truly Machiavellian villain is making her play and starts by manipulating Gin and a crazy ass vampiric drug dealing boss bad guy into eliminating each-other, or at least one of them to get rid of the other for her, and whoever is left, well, she will see...

The problem is, Gin has become too predictable, thus allowing her friends and enemies to push her bu
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Since Gin took care of Mab, people trying to kill her have been coming out of the woodwork. So it's no surprise when she gets herself caught in the middle of a drug lord's operation. Now she just has to figure how to get out and keep herself and everyone else alive.

There is just no one like Gin...she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. LOL...sorry I had to do it but it's really true. It's always hard to read about her getting a beat down. Thank goodness for Jo-Jo.

description

And thank goodness for Owen.
Denisa
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, well, well. Gin is back, and she's just as great as she always is!

It's good to take a break from a series from time to time, it helps you remember why you liked it so much in the first place.

Gin is just as badass as she's been in all the previous books, and I can't help but love her sarcastic attitude. And the story is finally moving along, we find out who is this MM Monroe and we kind of see her kick Gin's ass this time.

I can't wait to see how she gets out of this mess and what this new
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Mediocre, similar to other books in the series, mostly filler… What let Poison Promise down most was the predictable story and insufferable characters. I guess it was entertaining to a certain extent, but as usual nothing surprising or exciting happened. The majority of characters pissed me off for various reasons (too dull, too irritating, too Mary Sueish), there were only a couple who were actually decent/likeable.

Random thoughts:

-I used to love Gin's character, she had att
If it ain't good I don't read it !
oh... Okay

I thought the series was done but if this is the case.....

Do continue Jennifer Estep. By all means

Edit: OMG shit just got real!!

- 5 stars
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing

13/07/2016 Buddy read with my fellow UF addicts over at BB&B. Wednesdays have definitely become my favorite part of the week thanks to our weekly UF buddy read. May it never end.

I was tired of constantly fighting for my life—of all the blood and battles and bodies that just never seemed to end.
But I would never, ever get tired of protecting the people I loved.

No good deed goes unpunished, and Gin gets caught in an evil vampire’s snare when she tries to save one of her waitresses, Cata

Beth
Wow, Estep created a nail biting page turner in Poison Promise.

There is a new drug in town and its causing havoc not just with the norms but the the magical as well. Caught up in her sisters desire for retribution, Gin has to pull out all the stops to fight a new “bad” that has links to an even nastier surprise that will be coming for Gin.

We get to see an entirely different side to the pleasant police officer, Gin's sister Bria, and it doesn't seem to matter what it costs as long as she gets h
AH
It’s not often that a series gets better and better with each subsequent book. Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series is one such series. Reading Poison Promise (book 11!!!) was like reconnecting with old friends. I love the world that this author has built. The town of Ashland is corrupt, its officials are on the take, the bad guys are vying to fill in a power vacuum – this is one interesting place. In the center of it all stands Gin Blanco, aka The Spider, a very efficient assassin and an ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Elemental Assassin fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy

Gin sees enemy.
Enemy threatens her family or innocents.
Gin packs her silver stone knives.
Slice and dice...yadda yadda yadda.

I think I've become tired of this series. With the defeat of her main enemy, I've been waiting for another grand villain. There've been hints, but usually an Ashland bad guy I know Gin will defeat. This book felt like all the others and it was not as fulfilling to read as past books have been. Yet, this time Gin does not walk away unscathed. She suffers beyond the
Maria Dimitrova

Weekly buddy read with the bloodthirsty assassin-loving folks over at BB&B . I love you, guys!

We're back on track after that horrible flashback book *shudders*. It's time for Bria to be in the limelight. Unfortunately not in a good way. This time around detective Bria Coolidge was acting like a real psycho maniac. Her total disregard for other people's lives was so out of character that it was almost comical. Thankfully it didn't feel artificial just a bit forced. After all she is Gin's si
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN series started in 2010, and I discovered it in 2012, so it seems crazy to me that although we’ve reached the eleventh installment, only one year has gone by for Gin Blanco since it all began in SPIDER’S BITE. She’s about to celebrate her 31st birthday, and in many ways this book felt like a new beginning. There were some seriously badass scenes in POISON PROMISE, mad scientist villains are always super creepy, and two additional paranormal elements
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
When I first started reading Poison Promise I was a bit disappointed. I still don’t know why exactly, I just can’t put my finger on it, but it felt like something was lacking. The pace was painfully slow and the whole thing was a bit boring really. I never thought I would say that about this series. It didn’t help that Owen wasn’t around much. After what happened in the last instalment I thought that we would get to see more of him, not less (granted, he is more present in the second part of the ...more
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
I received an advance copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I finally got my hands on this book! The wait is over.

In Book 11 of the Elemental Assassin series, all Gin Blanco, aka "The Spider", wants is for the criminal underworld to leave her alone. But that all changes when a new, powerful drug is distributed on the streets. With the drug kingpin gearing up to take control of the corrupt city and stomp out "the Spider" at the same time, Gin certainly has some serious work ah
Sunny
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ARC Review, 4.5 stars

The joy of reading a long running series is the attachment I feel toward the characters. I love Gin and her friends. I love her overwhelming need to protect them. Each book brings a spotlight to one of those relationships. This time we, the reader, get a little more into the dynamics between Gin and her sister, Bria. Jennifer Estep does a fantastic job of revealing the love, competition, resentment, and admiration in a relationship between older and younger sisters. I don’t
Ian
All Gin wants is to be known as the owner of the Pork Pit, home to Ashland's best BBQ. Unfortunately she can't shake off her other title, The Spider, the assassin who killed underworld king-pin Mab Monroe. Now every two bit hood who wants to make a name for himself is gunning for her and she spends as much time dealing with them as serving pulled pork and coleslaw.

When she stumbles onto one of her waitresses being threatened by a drug dealer and his goons she steps in and makes short work of th
Karla

5 Stars! Toxic good fun! No longer feared, Gin is now revered, and finally getting the due she deserves! Well that's not entirely true... only by the people she doesn't plan on killing.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! I loved everything about this book! Eleven books in and this series is still going strong, and building up steam for what I'm guessing is going to be an amazing conclusion at some point, hopefully not to soon though. Let the smack-downs begin, or at least more of them!

Jennifer Estep ha
Douglas Meeks
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well this is the 11th book in the Elemental Assassin series and they show no signs of getting stale. This installment is more of a warm-up for the next one I fear though since we actually get to meet MM Monroe for a few pages but that is not the villain for this novel but it does give you an idea of what Gin is going to be up against.

Let us get back to what THIS book is about, Gin through a series of somewhat seemingly random events runs afoul of a local drug lord named Benson and while he is a
Kathy Davie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Eleventh in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and revolving around a "retired" assassin.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Elemental Assassin books on my website.

My Take
Part of the story revolves around Finn and the always birthday party he insists on. Another part revolves around Gin's sister as Gin discovers that little sister is not all that accepting of Gin's secret role.

A fact that rears up a very ugly head when Gin reports a murder. Bria's lost someone
Katie Michaels
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this Elemental Assassin story more than I have any installment in a long time. The series hasn’t been the same for me since Widow’s Web, for a number of reasons. I’ve had serious issues with romantic arc. And we’ve been missing a villain of Mab Monroe’s caliber for Gin to face. The stories have felt more like standalones, not building toward anything. Frankly, I was just losing interest. Until now.

In the wake of Mab’s death, Gin has been trying to keep a low profile, but the ba
Anne
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one go last night when I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review, couldn't wait to start. Hard to believe it was 416 pages it went so fast.

While the story line about illegal drugs is quite ordinary, as with everything in Gin's world, this is ratcheted up a notch. The bad guys are vampires, with the head bad guy being even more special, the drug, Burn, has special properties too and effects all including supes and elementals.

What I appreciate about this s
Nichole
3.5 Stars

There's a new drug being pushed called "Burn" and it's taking hold of the people of Ashland. When Gin happens upon a drug deal gone bad that involves one of her employees, the Spider steps in.

This is one of my favorite UF series! Gin is a total bad ass! She's a bit of a reluctant assassin because she doesn't take just any job. However, if a person threatens her friends, family, or an innocent~ she takes care of business.

The other thing that I really enjoy about this series, is that she
Feminista
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy, arc
Rating: 2 out of 5.

I have returned to this series after the disaster that it became with Owen and Salina's plot line.

I can't say this book is anything to recommend.

Unfortunately I have lost any interest for this series.

The writing was overly dramatic and cheesy. Gin kept on throwing cheesy lines at the villain at the last fighting scene. Sufficed to say, I rolled my eyes so many times, I was afraid of doing myself some serious physical damage.

Owen. Ugh. Really? There is literally nothing there.
~Melissa~
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ~Melissa~ by: Kait
Shelves: audible
Another fabulous dose of Gin (like the liquor) Blanco. These really are wonderfully entertaining on audio. As always there are some over the top elements but you're just totally rooting for Gin and her family. Gin faces down a major drug dealer of Southtown which then brings a new player to the forefront - one we've been waiting for since Mab's death - the elusive MMM. Looking forward to the next one.
Shalini
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new drug Burn is making the rounds in the college campus till it reaches one Gin’s employees, and she is forced to get involved in this fight against the dealer, thanks to the employee Catalina and her cop sister Bria.

Gin is wonderful, oh I am so fangirling her right now.. Well I think I am always going to be her fan. The author Jennifer Estep has reached into my heart and pulled the vengeful strings one by one till the heart was bound to her and Gin. Yp I am that crazy about these series!!

Gin
Dark Faerie Tales
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A new drug is on the streets of Ashland, and a dealer is starting to make problems for one of Gin’s waitresses. Naturally, Gin can’t let that continue, and her actions set into motion a series of events that will have Gin facing off with Ashland’s most notorious drug kingpin. Just another day in the life of the Spider…

Opening Sentence: “Someone has a birthday coming up.”

The Review:

All I can say right now is I freaking love this series so muc
Nancy
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I liked most about this book, is the change in how the protagonist is dealing with the "bad guys". She finally used her stone magic in a major way. It's been mentioned in every book in the series as, her strongest form of magic; yet every showdown she's had she only used it for one purpose.
The author finally woke up and realized she wasn't using her hero's ability to their best effect! Awesome breakthrough!
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Poison Promise is the eleventh book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Gin Blanco is tired of people trying to kill her, but that’s her life. Being the famous assassin “The Spider” has its drawbacks and that is one of them. Gin’s sister, detective Bria has her sights on Beauregard “Beau” Benson, drug lord and king of Southland who is pushing a new drug called Burn. But Bria’s obsession with Beau is putting not only her life in danger but tha
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

Must-ReadRocked-my-worldKick-AssHeroine

While this review will be spoiler free for Poison Promise, it does make references to previous books. So if you are not up to date on the series there could be spoilers ahead.

Whether Gin is serving up triple chocolate milkshakes at the Pork Pit or serving up bad guys at the end of her knife you can guarantee that the service will come with a smile.

Gin's about to turn 31 and she's not geared up to celebrate. It's not turning 31 that bugs her, it's the fact th

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Very rarely do you find a series that gets better with each instalment. In book eleven of the Elemental Assassin series, POISON PROMISE delivers a refreshingly action-paced story featuring Urban Fantasy’s favourite assassin.

Gin Blanco continues to kick ass in this book but when her sister and cop, Bria gets her thoughts muddled on trying to capture the latest bad guy on her list, Gin wants her sister to know that taking out the bad guy isn’t just about killing, it’s also about thinking about th
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)
  • Against the Dawn (Shaede Assassin, #4)
  • Cold Hard Secret  (Secret McQueen, #7)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • Vengeance of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #7)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Of Shadow Born (Shadow World, #4)
  • Cursed By Destiny (Weird Girls, #3)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Hell Bent (Broken Magic, #1)
  • Haunted (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron
More about Jennifer Estep

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“Actually, I love pissing people off. Important people, rich people, dangerous people. I’m an equal-opportunity pisser-offer.” 16 likes
“You have reached the always awesome, ever charming, and obscenely handsome Finnegan Lane,” he chirped in my ear. “How may I be of service to you today?” 8 likes