Start by marking “Fractured Innocence (IFICS #2)” as Want to Read:
Fractured Innocence (IFICS #2)

Fractured Innocence

(IFICS #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  589 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
*Warning 17+ due to sexual gritty topic and language.
Kaitlyn and Erik are sent on a mission to track down Vance Dasvoik, a ruthless monster. His latest thrill—abducting and selling young women.

Vance's current victim: Aaliyah, a seventeen-year-old who never imagined walking her brother home from school one evening would change her life forever.

The mission quickly turns per
Published February 6th 2014 by Valknut Press (first published December 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fractured Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractured Innocence

Ben Alderson
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING
DARK
ACTION PACKED

JUST
BRILLIANT

The first book in this series introduced the characters perfectly but this sequel just picked the story line back up and ran with it. Dark themes set in a world that mirrors ours. If only we have this beautifully strong character in our world. AMAZING.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rar
Wow. Talk about a tough subject to read about. This book is a beautiful blend of real world issues and science fiction.

Kaitlyn finally sees her potential in this story. She can now see why being brought back as a machine can be a blessing to others. Kaitlyn accepts who/what she is and embraces her mission. And makes her proud of herself. She is not a freak of nature - she is a solution to a problem. And hopefully she will continue to be in book 3.

This is very tough to read at times. It is hard
Amy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Julia Crane's books... This is one of her best in my opinion. This is book 2 following Freak of Nature. If you read the first one you know by the end all you could think about was getting more.. Well this one delivers. This book deals with a tough subject but one that is real in the world.

In this book Kate goes on her first mission. Something I was excited to read about since she is, to me a super human. I loved Aaliyah and felt for her through the whole book. What happened to
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This book was so different to the first book in the series! I wasn't really expecting it to be until I read the synopsis and then I realised just how different it was going to be and how far it had developed since the first book! The plot of this book focused on an issue which occurs, but in my opinion, isn't talked about enough! It focused on human trafficking and I think this was such a brave step from the author! She put something which occurs every day to young woman and men and mixed it wit ...more
Nanette Bradford
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Omg... I really never expected this book to be so darn exciting. Yes, I knew I'd love it but it exceeded all of what I had hoped I would read after reading Freak Of Nature.

I love all of Julia's books and this book was totally anticipated. Not only by me but my daughter as well. She's a huuuuge fan and that's another reason I love Julia so much.. Back to the book.

Ok so I started the book thinking it was just going to be Kaitlyn and Lucas in trouble again or on the run.. I got much more than that.
Emmanuelle
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. This book was both hard to put down and hard to read. The subject matter is very difficult, especially when you truly realize how real black market slavery and abductions are in this world. It's something people don't think about, but it's very much so alive. This is definitely not the path I would have envisioned this series taking after having read Freak of Nature, yet it fits it beautifully. Kaitlin is not only an amazing engineering and modern technology feat, but her past mem ...more
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is the 2nd in the IFICS series by Julia Crane. I read the first one and really enjoyed it. When this one came out, I couldn't wait to dive in.

This book wasn't always easy to read. It has some heavy subject matter. It's hard to believe that human trafficking exists in this day in age, but it does. It's also the fastest growing illegal trade.

In this story Kaitlyn, our partially robotic heroine, decides that she wants to use her enhancements for good. She sets out on the mission of taki
Andrea
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-book, owned
Once again, I was sucked right in to Julia Crane's IFICS world, with Fractured Innocence. It definitely had a different feel then the first book, Freak of Nature, due to the tough subject matter. Crane takes you into the gritty & raw world of human trafficking in America. Something some people aren't even aware of happening.

In this book Kaitlyn is going on her first mission. She finally is going to be able to use her skills out in the real world & make a difference in doing so. She's fre
Potter's Copy Editing Services
I had a chance to Beta Read this book, and it does not disappoint!
Crane's writing style is so much different and unique in this book. It's still a Julia Crane book, but it's a new take and a new writing style. I loved it and can't wait for it to come out so this book can get the recognition it deserves!
Ginelle Blanch
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book had a subject matter that was hard to read and very graphic. It dealt with human trafficking. But, Ms. Crane did a fantastic job with it. Loved reading more about Kaitlyn, Lucas, and Erik. Enjoyed reading how Kaitlyn had grown a bit more into herself. Happy with how the book ended and eager to see where Ms. Crane takes Kaitlyn next.
Tina
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story blew me out of the water. The emotions felt while reading I was all over the place. The characters growth and new characters are purely amazing. The adventure even hard at times is well worth the read. Truly Julia Crane's best work yet.
Casey Carlisle
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Actual rating 2.5 stars.

I was hoping book two, ‘Fractured Innocence’ would redeem this series after my opinion on ‘Freak of Nature,’ the debut of this series, completely bombed. But unluckily, this was yet another lemon.

The beginning still had that annoying childish tone which did not gel well with Kaitlyn’s robotic nature, or the relationships and situations the novel started with. Not a good sign when I felt tense and squirmy with the first few pages...

Differing from the ‘Freak of Nature,’ thi
Kim
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fractured Innocence is the fantastic sequel in the IFICS series. It is is sci-fi, dystopia, romance, and thriller all wrapped up in one cyborg package. It is also a far darker and more intense read than was the first, Freak of Nature. In this book, Kaitlyn has come into her own and living her new life in the best way that she can. Her humanity and her creation to be a weapon have come together to make her what she is today... a black ops-style soldier on a mission of good.

The villain in this bo
a_tiffyfit
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
review to come.

Picking up nearly where we left off the first time, we are back with Harrington, Lucas, Kaitlyn, and Erik and headed towards their next mission. Vance Dasovik -- the target, not a threat. There IS a difference.

Aaliyah is walking her little brother, Darrius, home when both are abducted off the streets of Detroit. Soon, Aaliyah is thrust into the bowels of hell, her innocence taken from her, and subjected to a sick bastard's base desires and torture. Her only concern is to survive s
Natalie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW! That is my one word to sum up this book!! I was already a huge fan of Julia Crane and Freak Of Nature. It was different and very unique. It held my attention and was so intriguing.

With Fractured Innocence, I really had no idea where she would take us. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Kaitlyn would be going on a mission to stop a very vile man from continuing his disgusting ways of life in human trafficking.

A young girl named Aaliyah and her brother are kidnapped and thrown into a
Michelle Dodd
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an Incredible book. I was already a fan from the first book Freak of Nature, but Julia completely captured my attention in this riveting tale. I was in angst reading this book it wreaked havoc on my emotions and that was only 50% through the book. I loved how Kaitlyn and Lucas’s relationship developed and how confident Kaitlyn had become. She was just dynamite in this book like a robot Xena. Kaitlyn was deadly her assignment making her so which leads me to my angst human trafficking. I was ...more
Td
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to start this book and see what Kaitlyn’s first mission would be. As the book began, it was great to see that she was evolving even more as a person and in her relationships. Ailiyah’s journey through all the torture during the kidnapping, the abuses against her were unimaginable, sadly, these thing s happen to real children in this world. I sat through many parts of the story with my heart just crushed for Ailiyah. It was obvious that her inner strength was very great as she su ...more
Kelsey
This is a spectacular series! A breather of fresh air in the scifi genre. I had the privilege to by able to get an ARC of Fractured Innocence. It was in honest terms a gruesome story. The things that happens in Human Trafficking are scary and physical and emotionally scarring. I flinched when Aaliya did. She is a new character in the IFICS series. Things that happen to her made me sick to my stomach. This is an issue that needs to be addressed. She is brave and resilient. She deserves a much bet ...more
Heather Finley
I am so happy that I came across this series. The first book did a great job at setting up the sequel. Kaitlyn has quickly became one of my very favorite characters in fiction. She is smart and compassionate plus a total badass.

In addition to Kaitlyn being awesome, I loved how much the guys around her supported and believed in her. They were quick to defend her and had total faith in her which made for some interesting relationships. I loved that I could cheer for the whole team.

Not only do you
Jessica Bronder
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate is now partnered up with Erik and they are on their first mission, find Vance Dasvoik, a leader in illegal drugs, weapons, and human trafficking. But this story is also about Aaliyah, a young girl that is kidnapped on her way home and put into the sex trafficking market by Dasvoik. Kate learns about her and makes it her mission to save Aaliyah.

This is a well written book on a very touchy subject. Trafficking is one of those topics that we seem to know about without really knowing about it.
Lisa Markson
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have followed this author faithfully through each and every book that she has written. When she wrote Freak of Nature that became my favorite and thought she could never top it. Boy was I completely wrong this book has totally surpassed my love of her writing. She doesnt have all the rainbows and unicorns in this adventure. She deals with a very real and gritty topic that has been discussed in the news. She maintains decorum in handling this controversial topic and doesnt down play the serious ...more
Elizabeth Robbins
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resolution to the cliffhanger at the end of book one! This book is action filled, socially aware, wonderfully tragic, and, of course, brilliant! I wouldn't expect anything else from Julia Crane. Kaitlin and Eric are a unique special ops team. Mercenaries, they are not bound by the constrictions of government agents. In this story, they've joined forces with some other ex military men, to kill a rich human-trafficking kingpin. The story takes you back and forth between the IFICS people ...more
Sue Brooks
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fractured Innocence begins almost where the Freak of Nature ended. So, if you have not read Freak of Nature, you might want to read it first. It will give you insight on what happened to Kaitlyn and why she is the way she is!!

Fractured Innocence is not as focused on Kaitlyn and her transformation - but is about her using her abilities to help others. It does show how Kaitlyn has feelings (which is odd for a person in her state) and how she helps others because of these feelings. Julia Crane has
Patrick
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book fractured innocence continues where the first book left off in the hunt for Vance. In this book we see just how much evil this man can really do to a poor innocent girl named Aaliyah. My heart breaks for her and what she suffers in the book. I was also amazed by the courage and strength she has found by the end of the book. In this book we also see Kaitlyn and Lucas continue there relationship. We also meet several new characters Ace and Nick. I think this book overall was a very good b ...more
L.L. Hunter
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fractured innocence is quiet different from book 1 of this series. The plot focuses on the illegal trade of children for sex and slavery. At first when Aaliyah was introduced I didn't know if I liked it, but I kept reading. The more the book progressed, the more action packed it became and more enjoyable. I was rooting for Kaitlyn to rescue Aaliyah. Can't wait for the next book if there is one.
Coyora Dokusho
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it was really, really good

there were some typos

i teared up!!!

psychologically, very accurate.

I want human trafficking to stop... forever.
vakilo
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
In dem zweiten Band jagen der Cyborg Kaitlyn und Erik einen Mann, der Frauen entführt und verkauft. Vance der Verbrecher entführt Aaliyah, welche gerade ihren Bruder von der Schule nach Hause bringen will. So kommt die Geschichte etwas holprig ins Rollen. Die Entführung und der Verkauf von Frauen spielt in dem Buch eine große Rolle und wird beinahe wie eine Lehrstunde präsentiert.

Das Buch war leider nicht so gut, wie der Vorgänger. Vielleicht lag es auch daran, dass für mich so viel Zeit zwische
Jennifer Sepeda
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well that was a very emotional and action packed ride. I wasn't too sure how I'd feel about the switch in perspectives but they worked out beautifully. I actually started to tear up a bit, and that normally doesn't happen. Can't wait to get the next book.
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exhilarating

Kaitlyn's story is only beginning! I can't wait to see what's next for her, Aaliyah, and the rest of the team!
This is an amazingly written story. Syfi meets real world bad guys. But does good always win....?
Andrea
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Read the entire book on the plane ride back home! Pretty detailed which made it even better. Can't wait to read the next one ☺
Goodreads Librari...: please add publishing date 2 159 Dec 28, 2013 06:22AM
  • Severed (Starwalkers Serial #1)
  • Sycamore 2 (Sycamore, #2)
  • Edge of Truth
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • The Battle For New York (Invasion USA, #2)
  • Believe (Rules, #1)
  • The Human (The Eden Trilogy, #2)
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Underground (Terrestrials, #2)
  • Fast-Trapped (Fast-Track Trilogy, #2)
  • Time Burned (The Chronos Files)
  • The Restoration of Flaws (The Phantom of the Earth, #5)
  • We Are Savages
  • Drawing Down The Moon
  • Alibi's Ghosts, The Larger-Than-Life Small World of a Medium's Daughter
  • Pieces of My Heart (Pieces, #2)
Julia crane is the author of the Keegan’s Chronicles, IFICS. She has a bachelors degree in criminal justice. Julia has believed in magical creatures since the day her grandmother first told her an Irish tale. Growing up her mother greatly encouraged reading and using your imagination.

IFICS (3 books)
  • Freak of Nature (IFICS, #1)
  • Fatal Abduction (IFICS, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
“extend” 0 likes
“Lucas found this hypocritical, since God was the one that blessed Adams with a mind that was able to come up with such wonders. It could be argued that by not using his talents to extend his own life, perhaps he was going against God’s wishes. ” 0 likes