Start by marking “Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #1)

Once Upon A Haunted Moor

(Tyack & Frayne #1)

Gideon Frayne has spent his whole working life as a policeman in the village of Dark on Bodmin Moor. It’s not life in the fast lane, but he takes it very seriously, and his first missing-child case is eating him alive. When his own boss sends in a psychic to help with the case, he’s gutted – he’s a level-headed copper who doesn’t believe in such things, and he can’t help b ...more
Published October 31st 2013 by FoxTales (first published October 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon A Haunted Moor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon A Haunted Moor

Julio Genao
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
been saving this one for a bad day. a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency-feelz thing.

i'm so glad i did.

atmospheric, melancholy, and even a little bleak like some scandicrime thing—and then sweet as hell.

also a little creepy, but w.e. halloween.

outrageously short and nothing seemed to happen when i wanted it to—i wanted more lonely, more flirting, more investigating, more beastie on the moor—but honestly i just need to get over myself, bcuz this was quite simply nice to read.

my review of book two:
Vio
A spine tingling, spooky horror story. I wasn't sure what was roaming the moors but it was enough to scare the bejeebers out of me, unsettling and creepy, I liked it a lot. The anticipation was good, sadly the romance was minimal, a tiny bit disappointed there wasn't a couple more scenes of kissing and intimacy between Lee and Gideon. Overall an enjoyable and suspenseful read, perfect for a dark and stormy night.
Ingie
Review written January 30, 2016

4 Stars - Stunning intriguing and beautifully written, a great serial opener

Book #1

Andrea recommended this series over a year ago. I have more than just liked those three M/M romances by Harper Fox I've read so far. They were all both different with a unique feeling and all very memorable. Great recommended reads. It shall be good to explore this 'Tyack & Frayne' series. So far six shorter (75-100 pages) novella episodes in the crime / mystery genre with a new
Lois Bujold
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers interested in paranormal m/m romances with deeply British settings
Recommended to Lois by: random Amazon wanderings
Put this on my Kindle during one of my late-night Brownian explorations on Amazon; I read the first chapter but it didn't grab me, so set it aside for quite a while. Being in the mood again for some escape reading, I gave it another go, and found it picked up in Chapter Two when the second protagonist/future love interest arrived on the scene. (Some slight distraction from reading his name as "Tyvak", which is iirc the brand name of an American insulating house wrap, but I got over that.) Parano ...more
Sophia Triad
the actual story,
the atmosphere,
the creepiness,
the small dark village,
the mystery of the missing little girl,
policeman Gideon and psychic Lee,
their love story,
their dog,
the time period (Halloween)

I wish it was a longer book, but still it was good.
I am reading this series.
Nick Pageant
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This is a very fun little book with some sexy and some spooky. Perfect Halloween read. On to book 2 Tinsel Fish!
Barbara➰
Oh thank goodness for backups!!

Ugh! Deleted my review dammit! I reread this April 2019. Loved it just as much as the first time and it’s just as creepy.

Originally read August 2018

Holy crap on a cracker! This book was crazy! It was creepy, suspenseful and hauntingly beautiful. I honestly don’t know what to make of it all. There’s definitely a paranormal feel to it. But, the writing itself gives it an otherworldly vibe. The descriptions and flow all add to the mystery. I stayed glued to it because
Ami
This review will begin with this line: "In Vio I Should Trust"

Without her review, I would give this a pass. Simply because Harper Fox's writing makes me exhausted. But this one I really enjoyed. Vio told me that this felt more like Harper Fox's short stories -- and I think I'm good with her writing in small dosage, seeing that I seem to love her short stories better. So yep, this one, I apparently enjoyed as well.

I loved the portrayal of the disconcerting little village of Dark (what an appropri
Sofia

Fox's magic at it's best. A haunting well laid out short with the added benefit that I can get more Tyack and Frayne by reading the next stories in the series. These are a couple that grow on one. I like that Fox is writing an imperfect Gideon, trying to see himself, what's around him and how to go on.

At one point Gideon says:
"I don't want Dark turning into Midsomer."

I don't want that either but I have to admit that I did enjoy this like I devour and enjoy British whodunnits with that mix of d
Meags
4 Stars

I found myself quite enthralled by this beautifully written and mysterious little story.

The characters were engaging and wholly likeable. And although the romantic aspect of the story was fast-moving, yet low on steam or relationship development, I was still thoroughly intrigued by the interactions between Tyack and Frayne.

The mystery portion of the story was simplistic yet riveting, and I couldn't help but speed read through this story to find out what would happen next.

The backdrop of
Vivian
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid mystery with hints of paranormal and possessing the quintessential Romanticism of Fox's writing, this time the wild spaces of Cornwall, Bodmin Moor. Small town cop and a moderately renown psychic are thrown together during the search for a missing child. Quick read with a few twists and nicely exploring the headspace of people in a small remote location.
Natasha
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautifully written. If I was physically half as beautiful as this book was written, I'd be a super model.

I liked the story. Just liked. But liking is more than good enough.

Plus, no one can put you right in the middle of some desolate location quite like Harper Fox.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Atmospheric and a little bit creepy - perfect for this time of year as the mystery is set against the backdrop of the eerie moors of Cornwall.

Small town cop, Gideon, is faced with his toughest case yet. A little girl has gone missing, and the hopelessness that surrounds the situation is slowly suffocating his sense of competence. All leads have dried up, and Gideon grudgingly accepts the help of self proclaimed psychic, Lee, because really, what does he have to lose? Lee is unlike anyone
Heller
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-pnr, mm-cops
I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. The moors were very eerie and I really enjoyed the descriptions, I've always liked that about Fox's writing. I just wish that it had been longer because I was really enjoying how the MC's interacted. That was a quietly intense romance that sneaked up between Gideon and Lee.

Even for the length I liked how Gideon wrapped things up with both the case and his personal journey.
Eugenia
Haunting mystery!

I loved this novella set in the Cornish Moors!! As always, the setting was a character in full force in Harper Fox’s mystery.

This one involved a missing girl. Gideon, the police constable in the small village of Dark, has been doing all he can to find her.

A psychic, Lee, offers his services, but while Gideon scoffs at his help, he uses him. Together, they solve the mystery.

I love the set up for this couple and can’t wait to see them in action in all the other books. They are
MLE
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, kindle-archive
I really liked this story. The characters were well drawn, and compelling, and I could really feel their connection. I loved the setting, and the mood. It really added a lot to the story, and it made it feel almost like a classic tale rather than a modern one in some ways. I liked the paranormal touches. They weren't too heavy, or overdone, and the air of mystery added to the scare for me rather than detracting from it. An excellent read on a cold day.
Emma Sea
Harper Fox is going to make me yearn to live in the sleepy little village of Dark, I just know it.

ETA: yep.
Caz
I've given this an A- for both narration and content at AudioGals, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Once Upon a Haunted Moor is the first book in Harper Fox’s series of mysteries with a paranormal twist set mostly around Bodmin Moor in Cornwall. The setting is atmospheric and integral to the story and is beautifully evoked by the author’s wonderfully descriptive, lyrical writing; and our two protagonists – the local ‘bobby’ (policeman), Gideon Frayne and Lee Tyack, a jobbing psychic (if there is
Adam

Beautifully written, a haunting setting, a riveting mystery, and a sweet romance. This novella has a lot going for it!

I really liked the setting of the Cornwall moors. There was something desolate and mysterious about it, which set the feel of the book.

description

It would be hard not to feel for Gideon Frayne, the lonely Cornish policeman who's buckling under the pressure of his latest investigation. He goes through a noticeable change throughout the book from surly to hopeful.

The change, of cours
Chris
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this... it had a real Broadchurch feel - Scottish life on the Moors... some kind of beast that roams the night and a missing child. Gideon is the ever careful cop, in the closet, or so he thinks, who is in charge of the missing child investigation. He lives in his parents old home which gives off the vibe of a mausoleum and he is still feeling the pain of his ex leaving him. In comes Lee - the psychic from another town to help with the investigation. Of course Gideon tries to blow ...more
Meep
Still love this story, the dark chill of the Baskerville moors, characters both interesting and likeable. The strength of feelings. Onto the next :)

-- --
While Harper Fox has a wonderful way with words, I often find her longer stories get out of control, so the short length of this attracted me. Its succinct; lots of atmosphere but no wasted page, I'm torn between seeing it as a little gem and wishing there was that bit more to it. Luckily there are already two sequels so the story hasn't ended
Mark
This little gem of a story is the ideal thing for a spooky Halloween night. It only takes a little under two hours to read it, but Harper Fox manages to pack a whole lot into a few pages.

Set on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, a place already steeped in mystery, folklore and strange happenings, there couldn't be a more atmospheric place to write a great spooky chiller-thriller. A young girl has gone missing from the village of Dark. Now all the leads are running cold and the chances of finding her alive
Karen Wellsbury
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading my last book, which brought Wales to life very strongly, I wondered what I could read to follow it up.
I bought this book about 18 months ago, on the recommendation of a friend, and for various reasons never got round to reading it, and it is glorious.
In 80 pages Harper Fox made me feel like I was in Cornwall. I felt like I knew Gideon and Lee and I was so invested in them, in finding the missing girl, and the whole book that I read in one go - begrudging work and food for getting i
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Rating: 4.5 Stars

Even creepier via audio, especially the bits with the Beast. *shivers* (Which, it's implied the scary-ass thing is real, right? I'm not imagining that?) Again, the setting is so well-described, so essential to the story, that it feels like a side-character on its own. I've come to expect that from Harper's books, and it's wonderful...really adds to the charm of her novels.

Original Rating: 4.2 Stars

Harper's books are always so damn beautifully written. Eerily creepy and hau
Richard
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aaa
So yesterday I am on this ridiculously boring flight and needed something to read. So, rather than spending 2 hours choosing a book I, closed my eyes, pointed my sticky little finger to the iPad and pushed.

Note to self- stop spending hours trying to choose a book, close your fucking eyes and push.

And it’s a series! 2 more books!
Susan
I really liked this. It did suffer a bit from too-short-to-have-much-depth syndrome, but other than that, it was quite an intriguing mystery romance.

Gideon Frayne is a cop in a small town. He is investigating the case of a missing child who disappeared almost two weeks ago when she was playing on the moor. Gideon is tired and is slowly losing hope.

When the mother of the missing girl asks help of a so called medium, Gideon is angry. These charlatans only give people false hope. But… Lee Tyack doe
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: Tim Gilbert 3.8
Book Cover: 3.5

Well. This one made me refuse to go anywhere in the house after dark without hubby tagging along. A most curious thing to him seeing as I’m not usually a “scaredy cat” but the mist and the “Feel-it-before-you-hear-it” and the clawing made me a little ...careful. LOL
It was something out of my ordinary little box. I liked it ;-)
Alisa
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it

Omg....how had I not read this before? This was so stinking good. A cop and a psychic pair up to find a missing girl. And the thing in the moor? Scared the crap out of me. Especially when it follows you home. If you like paranormal stories this is a Must read. I can't wait to read the next one. This has the potential to become a favorite series.
Leanne
A wonderfully atmospheric little read with two real and likable MCs. My gran grew up in a village bordering the Bodmin moors but had no stories to tell about the strange beasties lurking there. What a shame! She did teach me how to make a killer Cornish pasty though. :)

Thanks Vio!
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Well, that was definitely a short story. A little too short. There was next to no time to really get to see Gideon and Leander form any kind of connection before they're falling into bed together *yawn* and just as I was settling into the story and the mystery, they were over.

And there may or may not be an actual monster on the moor. Since Leander is psychic, I don't know how far into paranormal/fantasy this series might go.

I did like Gideon and Lee, and at least they're not already moving in
Tyack & Frayne BR Ingela & Sofia starting 29 Jan 2016 197 26 Apr 04, 2016 12:11AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Once Upon a Haunted Moor by Harper Fox 4 27 Jul 31, 2015 12:56PM
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • The Parting Glass (In a Dark Wood, #2)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Irregulars
Harper Fox is an M/M author with a mission. She’s produced six critically acclaimed novels in a year and is trying to dispel rumours that she has a clone/twin sister locked away in a study in her basement. In fact she simply continues working on what she loves best– creating worlds and stories for the huge cast of lovely gay men queuing up inside her head. She lives in rural Northumberland in nort ...more

Tyack & Frayne (9 books)
  • Tinsel Fish (Tyack & Frayne, #2)
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • Guardians Of The Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #5)
  • Third Solstice (Tyack & Frayne, #6)
  • Preacher, Prophet, Beast (Tyack & Frayne #7)
  • Underhill: A Halloween Story (Tyack & Frayne #8)
  • Once Upon a Western Shore (Tyack & Frayne #9)