Start by marking “Postcards From the Edge (Suzanne Vale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Postcards From the Edge (Suzanne Vale, #1)

Postcards From the Edge

(Suzanne Vale #1)

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  13,022 ratings  ·  1,208 reviews
When we first meet the extraordinary young actress Suzanne Vale, she's feeling like 'something on the bottom of someone's shoe, and not even someone interesting.' Suzanne is in the harrowing and hilarious throes of drug rehabilitation, trying to understand what happened to her life and how she managed to land in a 'drug hospital.'
Just as Fisher's first film role-the preco
Published November 10th 2011 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Postcards From the Edge, please sign up.
Quercus virginiana Library. If not currently in your local library's collection then request interlibrary loan. Library will locate and borrow the book from another libr…moreLibrary. If not currently in your local library's collection then request interlibrary loan. Library will locate and borrow the book from another library for you. (less)

·  13,022 ratings  ·  1,208 reviews

Start your review of Postcards From the Edge (Suzanne Vale, #1)
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Carrie Fisher died today and now the interwebs are exploding with billions of fangirls who never watched a Star Wars movie until the Manic Pixies told them they should. That sounds hateful, but I don't really give a shit mean it to be . (Confession: I'm not a ginormous Star Wars fan myself.) I am a huge Carrie Fisher fan, though, and it's mainly due to this book.

Postcards from the Edge is a semi-autobiographical story about Carrie after coming out of a stint in rehab. I read this book when I w
Carol
POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE is the semi-autobiographical novel based on the turbulent life of Carrie Fisher.

The first third of the story recounting 30 days of actress Suzanne Vale's life in rehab was pretty intense and nerve-racking reading (for me) and if you can get through lives and stories of drug dealers, addicts and rather disgusting Hollywood types in those pages, the rest of the novel will be a breeze.

While I loved the movie with its witty and sarcastic dark humor, the novel came across (for

Matt
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In her first piece of fiction, Fisher seeks to relay some sentiments through this quasi-biographical story. Suzanne Vale is an actress who has succumbed to the horrors of addiction and finds herself in a treatment facility. While there, she recounts some of her views on fellow addicts and the trials of life on the inside. Released back into her real world, Vale begins the slow process of re-establishing herself, securing a new agent while trying to return to the life she knows so well. However, ...more
Calista
I enjoyed Carrie's first novel. It was witty and interesting. Suzanne is obviously based loosely on her life from other stories I have read of hers. I feel like this was one of the first behind the scenes of Hollywood. I'm sure there were things before this, but this was a big tell-all basically.

There was the rehab portion, the looking for love portion of the book and the part where she is trying to accept normal portion. I felt the dialogue was snappy, there were funny moments. I enjoy the stor
Erin
ok.

you know that moment, at the party-you-didn't-want-to-come-to, filled with the important-people-from-work-who-don't-really-like-you, standing in the corner-of-the apartment-marked-specifically-for-losers-and-the-apartment-cat (who is now drunk and stuffed on mini shrimp popper appetizers)? the moment where you realize that you didn't wear the right shoes, your dress is being worn as a shirt by the most beautiful woman in the room, and everyone in the entire WORLD is staring at you when they a
Jonathan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motherfucking goddam shit. Rest in peace Carrie, you were wonderful

******

Get better soon Carrie, you wonderful nutbag. Am listening to Hearts and Bones and sending thoughts and strength and health in your direction.
Rachel Aranda
This was Ms. Carrie Fisher's debut novel and it's a good one. It's honest, fun, and quite realistic of the struggles of being a recovering "pills addict" and famous actress who doesn't quite know what normal is but trying to find a sense of normalcy. Like everyone in the world, Suzanne has doubts about herself, her life choices, and career as a movie star and I understood and connected with that. I'm a worrier and Suzanne is a worrier too. The only thing I didn't quite like about the plot is how ...more
Naksed
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes I feel like I've got my nose pressed up against the window of a bakery, only I'm the bread.

In Postcards from the Edge, Carrie Fisher writes a part-fiction, part-memoirs account about the highs and lows of life in Hollywood. And by that, I mean the highs of drug consumption followed by the lows of withdrawal during the inevitable stay in rehab.

It is truly fascinating to listen to the her voice spewing the most intricate, absurdist, intellectual and insightful witticisms, trying to
Anna Bendewald
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was 20 and a movie was about to be made of it. Holy smokes! It blew the lid off my concept of fame and boundaries between mothers and daughters and threw propriety out the window --er, off the edge of the cliff in the title. How human Debbie and Carrie were. Boy, they were born with all the gifts and got to feel all the feels. Life isn't easy even when you've got it all and no one makes it out alive.
Maria
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I searched what became one of my favourite online bookstores for Carrie Fisher in the hope of finding a copy of Wishful Drinking. Instead, I found myself staring at a list of available titles that included Postcards from the Edge. And the question was, why not?

Postcards from the Edge mainly follows the story of an actress who found her way to a rehab clinic after losing – almost for good – her life to drugs. Suzanne has reached her thirties and, after her drug scandal, is having a hard time find
* A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mm, z-2018
1.5 Stars

Apparently, Hollywood ego is just not my cuppa, and I really couldn't motivate myself to care much about an insecure actress struggling with self acceptance and being happy.

I will give credit to the acerbic, smartly funny wit. However, the last chapter was the best and that's a long journey to go to get some goodness.
Stacey D.
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For someone who suffered from drug addiction and depression, Carrie Fisher was a force to be reckoned with when it came to being in touch with her feelings. She really puts them out there in the embodiment of Suzanne Vale, the novel's main character. Geez, she must have felt incredibly vulnerable doing so, too: both as a big celebrity presence and as a former addict. If anyone in Hollywood and America didn't know her story, they knew now.

And was she funny! There are some truly memorable lines h
Suzanne
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I'll give it a 3.5. Not great literature, but entertaining, even if certain parts went on a bit too long. Fisher's writing style was definitely funny. I did laugh out loud several times, and not that many books make me do that.
debra
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know at the time I read this-I just loved it- and wouldn't stop reading parts of it to anyone who would let me. Don't know if it would be the same now-but at the time I thought it was just so funny and clever.
Davita
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
She's an excellent author, the subject matter just wasn't to my liking & I just couldn't get into it. I am interested in giving her other books a try, though. ...more
Julie James
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one--lots of wry, witty lines made all the better by Carrie Fisher's great narration.
Ashley
May 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Carrie Fisher.... Such a terrible book. It wasn't poorly written, just hard to care about any of the characters, the narrator in particular. Thankfully, it's a short read so you don't have to suffer for long.
Janine Urban
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up to see what all the hype was about. I should have left it. It wasn't my cup of tea.
Liz
So good. In the middle, I wondered how it was going to wrap up or touch back on how Suzanne progressed throughout the novel. Very well done.
Elisabeth
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
This book only furthered my belief that Carrie Fisher is a genius. The book is NOTHING like the movie, except for a small part in the middle, but since Carrie also wrote the screenplay it is all good. A lot of what she says in this book rang oddly true to me which was a little confronting, but only made me love it more.

Negative parts? In the beginning when alex narrates the story, he was sooooo annoying, but then again, he was a cokehead and those are known for being annoying. So point well mad
Andi
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
review to come...

EDIT:

So. Here is the deal, because there is not much to tell about this book because nothing seems to happen after the character gets out of rehab.

This book has no plot for 2/3rds. Sad, but true. I think Carrie Fisher is a great writer. She has a way of creating this characters that have a ton of flaws but are witty and real. I think Suzanne is her - this was her outlet, this was her way of writing out her feelings and not caring if a story came out of it.

Also, Alex... why were
Herb
What an awful book! Sheesh....nothing but an overly long series of ramblings (yes, dear hearts, I realize the protagonist is a recovering addict & addicts are supposedly prone to rambling sometimes), but I kept waiting for a point to be made until I realized the book had ended & that possibly there wasn't going to be one. Terrible. ...more
Kasey
Nov 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nope
Not really sure there was a plot in there....anywhere. I am planning to watch the movie. I'll bet it's nothing like the book.
And I was right! Watched the movie just yesterday & was amazed that the screenplay was written by the author & almost unrecognizable.
Not that it was any good either!
Wendy
Jun 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
maybe it's just me, but i didn't care about this book at all. i had high hopes, which may have been the problem. i found the characters and dialogue forgettable, and the action was limited. not impressed.
Louize
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Louize by: the movie
“Most people dream big, you dream small. It’s just whatever you haven’t got is what you want. It isn’t the life, it’s what you do with it. So, do something regular with your irregular life, rather than trying to get a regular one, ‘cause you’d just do something irregular with that.”

Driven by my fondness of the film adaptation, I grabbed this book from an on-sale bin from BookSale. I’m sure you’re all aware of the all-star cast movie; and of Meryl Streep and Shirley McLaine’s Golden Globe and
Ashleigh
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2020
Didn't realise when I read The Best Awful There Is a few years ago that I had actually read a sequel book and can't believe it's taking me this long to read the first book.

Carrie Fisher is, and has been for some time, a huge inspiration in my life. She's done incredible things for the world with her openness about mental health and addiction, and battling with mental health issues myself, I feel like I've been able to relate to her journey.

Postcards from the Edge is a semi-autobiographical stor
Tanya
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Carrie Fisher's first book, published when she was thirty-one—right after she did a stint in rehab, and only three years after she came to terms with her bipolar disorder diagnosis—is really best described as semi-autobiographical. I've read all her memoirs, and Suzanne Vale is an author surrogate if ever there was one, with the whole plot of Postcards from the Edge consisting of satirized real-life events from Carrie's turbulent life. In the resulting, highly-quotable novel, movie actress Suzan ...more
Juliana
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. I like how it started but it felt like a bunch of tangents after awhile
C.
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked-up “Postcards From The Edge” over a decade ago, a highly-regarded literary oeuvre and film. My cinematic cover erroneously suggests the tale of an inadvertently-upstaging famous Mother, which I thought that the story was. However, just one week ago: our world lost Carrie Fisher. I was content to hear-out any story she weaved. I am a “Star Wars” fan but respect her as an acclaimed authoress too, whom I looked forward to experiencing. She was always a riot in interviews, like the one with ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriftbooks
The structure of this book is kind of bizarre and it feels a bit like reading a string of writing exercises by a promising young writer. The segments are in first person stream of consciousness, diary entries, third person and maybe another. But almost the entire 2nd half is 3rd person which feels like the beginning was just an experiment and then she decided to finish it up more conventionally. The book focuses much more on drug use and romantic relationship problems than the movie does, which ...more

• My Girls: A Lifetime with Carrie and Debbie
  • Trials of the Diaspora: A History of Anti-Semitism in England
  • Spitalfields
  • Where Do You Think We Are?: Ten Illustrated Essays About Scrubs
  • The Imaginaries: Little Scraps of Larger Stories
Carrie Fisher was an American actress, screenwriter and author, most famous for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy. Fisher was the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds. She had one daughter, Billie Lourd (b. 1992).

Her final film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, was released on December 15, 2017 and is dedicated to her.

Suzanne Vale (2 books)