Start by marking “The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #2)

The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet

(Ellie Sweet #2)

For once, Ellie Sweet has it all together. Her hair now curls instead of fuzzes, she’s tamed the former bad-boy, Chase Cervantes (she has, right?), and her debut novel will hit shelves in less than a year. Even her ex-friends are leaving her alone. Well, except for Palmer Davis, but it can’t be helped that he works at her grandmother’s nursing home.

Life should feel perfec
Published October 27th 2013 by Playlist Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet

Start your review of The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #2)
Allyson
Gah, this book! <3 After my second read, it's still one of my favorites.

Highlights:

PERFECT Portrayal of Writer/Author Anxieties and the Writing Community
I've read a few other books and have watched movies that feature a writer as the main character, but they never quite capture the rawness of "author freakouts" as Ellie calls them. Whether you're indie or traditionally published, Ellie's anxieties over her debut novel are 100% relatable. The book also mentions how cut-throat the writing industry
Amanda
So...

Mrs. Morrill, if you see this, sorry it's taken me so long to write this review! I've had it on my to-do list whiteboard thing for months!

--Anyway, now that we've got that horrified apology out of the way...

THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME.

I liked the first Ellie book pretty well, with the exception of a few things that bothered me some. If you want to know, just...go read my review of the first book.

So when I first read this sequel, I summed it up something like this: Mrs. Morrill basically took ever
Jillian
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can always tell I'm reading a Stephanie Morrill book from the first page. Her voice perfectly captures the life and feelings of teenagers in such a unique way that makes her stories stand out. Morrill's books have yet to disappoint me, and The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet was no exception!

It was great to reunite with the main character, Ellie Sweet. She's kind, smart, and courageous with all the qualities of a perfect friend, yet she's still flawed and realistic. I adore her witty and humorou
Anna Schaeffer
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-book-reviews
Ellie has changed a lot since her debut in The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. Her writing life is no longer a secret (her novel is about to be published!), she's more confident in herself, and she's learned some valuable lessons. But along with all of the good things, Ellie also finds herself struggling to meet the demands of her editor, figure out the whole guy situation (which she thought she had under control), and learn to love her own, unique life story.

One of the hallmarks of a Stephanie Mor
Heather Manning
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Idea:
I absolutely love the idea of this novel. It is the sequel to the first Ellie Sweet novel by Stephanie Morrill, and it definitely did not disappoint.
Ellie has a boyfriend, Chase, and her debut novel is about to come out. Her life is perfect, right?
But things keep going wrong. After she goes through a series of stressful events, she experiences a bout of writer's block and worries if she is doing the right thing by publishing her book.
The Characters:
The characters are extraordinary. I c
Cookielover
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I'm filled with the sensation you get when you finish a great book. When you've fallen in love with the characters and the adventure and the beauty of it all. When you dread flipping that last page and reading the final words. When you're forced to leave the story, and you wish it had all been real." --Ellie Sweet

Another amazing book by Stephanie Morrill. I fell in love with the characters all over again, and I liked how I finished it thinking differently of everyone I had met before. There was
Roseanna White
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored the first book, but the sequel somehow managed to be even better. The wit was wittier, the sass was sassier...and the truths were truer. Morrill took what I loved about The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet, flopped it on its side, and made me realize there was MORE. That takes real talent.
Jade
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved Stephanie Morrill's books before and this series is no different. While a little predictable, I felt that it beautifully represented the anxious feelings that writers feel and did a good job of balancing the good and bad qualities of each character. There were times when I felt like there was too much going on and felt like it was hard to keep up with the plot, but I enjoyed seeing all of the character dynamics as the story unfolded. However, the romance left me feeling quite unsati ...more
Keturah Lamb
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Allison
again, super cute and fluffy. I loved the writing aspect, just like the first. although I feel like Ellie's journey to publishing is very easy....but it's a book ;).

like the first book, not too keen on the romance angle. I'm not a fan of romance in young adult books, partially because everyone's so young. Ellie's sixteen in this book (she turns seventeen in the middle). idk. just my opinion. ;)

also, I wish that Ellie's faith would be emphasized more. I love how authentic Stephanie Morrill's wri
Diana Day-Admire
Quite loved this one more

Loved the first o. But the second one even topped it.... I found Stephanie from the tee writing site go teen writers I am far from the teen stage, but will never grow up.
Reading about a writer is one of my favorite themes.
I remember those years with tears and fears. Ms Morrill did a fantastic job of capturing those times.. I find myself wanting the series to continue, could Ellie have a third one in the works?

Write On,
Diana
Joni
Better than the first one and the first one was great.
Diana Day-Admire
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Will there be a third in this series?
Kate Foley
Jessica Andrews
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly this book I’m reviewing is a sequel, I did a review of the first book (the revised life of Ellie Sweet) a while ago and just adored it and I have no idea what took me so long to read the next book. This series follows a girl named Gabrielle Sweet who is a teen writer, in the first book she over comes so much turmoil and I won’t go into the plot of this book too much in this review because spoilers might occur. So this book is called the unlikely debut of Ellie Sweet and once again Ellie ...more
Barbara Hartzler
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Do you have those books that you just love and know you'll read again, forever? Well I do, and Stephanie Morrill's Ellie Sweet sequel is going on my Read Again shelf with all the other awesome books that spoke to me on a spiritual level.

Just because success has come to Ellie Sweet, doesn't mean her life is any easier. She's still flawed and relatable, and the haters are piling up against her in both her school and writing life. This time she's learning to be humble enough to admit her mistakes,
Grace
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet, I had high hopes for its sequel, The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet.

The relationships in this book were really fun to read, from Ellie's friendship with her aunt, to the characters her grandparents are, and of course the complications with Chase and Palmer. I was kept entertained throughout and I was anxious to see how her life would turn out at the end of the story.

This book was more than an entertaining read, however. Ellie's journey is what resona
Rosie
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The exciting, long anticipated, sequel to The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet is out!

Technically, it came out a few months ago, but I didn't get a chance to read it until recently. Anyway, I don't exaggerate when I say I couldn't put my ereader down. Okay, so I did. But only because I was dragged from the house to go somewhere. Once I came home it was me, the ereader, and the recliner for the next couple hours.

I am amazed, yet again, at the strength of Ellie's voice. She's sounds so real. She sticks
Emily Parker
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Sofia Marie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Her debut novel close to being published and a great guy unmistakably liking her, Ellie Sweet should be happy. Doesn't she have it all? But strained friendships, a complex relationship with her boyfriend, and the stresses of editing grip Ellie with uncertainty and fear. Will anyone like her book? Will she ever regain lost friendships? And will Chase follow through with his hints at forever?

"The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet" is an amazingly captivating story with writing that will make you hunge
Julia Nashif
Another amazing novel from Stephanie Morrill! I love it.

Her relationship with Chase is brilliantly written. They both work really hard for it. I also like how it ended, and Chase showed that what he had been to her was an act.

Her relationship with Bronte is well written also. Bronte was so kind before, but it turns out she's a jerk. She posted a glowing review on her own book, and trash everyone else's. Doesn't she realize how this hurts other authors? Oh, Bronte...you sure were interesting.

The
Kate
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's just something about this series that really works for me - and I think it's Ellie Sweet. The continuation of the main plot (teenage girl writes a book, signs with a publisher, and has to work out the details) is a decent background - but what really steals the show here is the main character and how we follow her life. I'm very impressed with how most of the plot lines speak directly to some very real-life situations that teens can (and do) face. And frankly, there's a lot in here that ...more
Kasey Giard
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The day Ellie has been longing for is fast approaching: she is about to become a published author! But first, she has to wade through lengthy editor's notes, juggle school assignments, maintain a healthy relationship with her boyfriend Chase (who promised to be good), and comfort her grouchy post-surgery grandmother. It's a full plate for any girl. Complicating matters further, Ellie's ex suddenly wants to be friends. She's okay with this, but convincing Chase to relax isn't going to be easy.

Thi
Arlette
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet is the second book about Ellie Sweet, and I think I liked this one even a bit more than I did with the first one.
I love writing myself and all these tips and (fictional) experiences are therefore such a fun thing to read for me. Some things I can slightly relate to, sometimes I wish I could relate to it at some point if I would ever publih something myself. Also recognising some names of the GTW group is a fun addition too. Love that Stephanie Morrill add in tho
Rebekah Gyger
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book answered questions left from the first book, The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. Does Ellie get away with the things she wrote about her classmates? Does she end up with Chase?

Just as with the first, I was drawn into Ellie's story and her dramatic high school career. I just was not able to connect with her as much as in the first. I am not published, nor have I dealt with much of the same things as she did in this novel.

Yet I still enjoyed reading it. If there happens to be a third, I wil
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I loved Chase from the first book. Palmer, the guy Ellie originally liked is nice but a tad boring in book 1. However, not everything works out like it does in a book. (Pun intended)

As Ellie and Chase figure out how to balance their two very different backgrounds and outlooks, Ellie is also dealing with her debut novel releasing and its effect on her relationships.

I loved seeing Ellie grow in this book. My heart hurt for her, but I found the ending satisfying as she's learning to balance
Shannon
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely perfect sequel to The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. Blurbed this one. Here's what I said:

"With the compelling voice of a storyteller, Stephanie Morrill has done something special in The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet. She's taken a sweet, engaging read and given it depth. I felt every step of Ellie's journey, and when I closed the book it was with the impression that I was sending a cherished friend on her way in the world. I do wish her well."
Megan
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
TW
Shiloh
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)
  • I Hate You More
  • The Wrong Bachelor
  • The Running Back and the Prima Donna (The Ballerina Academy, #2)
  • Much Ado About a Boy: A Sweet YA Romance (Sweet Water High, #9)
  • Beastly: Lindy's Diary (Beastly, #1.5; Kendra Chronicles, #1.5)
  • The Quarterback and the Ballerina (The Ballerina Academy, #1)
  • Something New
  • The Wrong Costar (The Wrong Match Book 2)
  • Stain
  • Don't Kiss Your Lab Partner (Billionaire Academy YA Romance, #1)
  • The Nine Lives of Chloe King (The Nine Lives of Chloe King #1-3)
  • Falling for My Best Friend  (Sweet Water High, #7)
  • The Wrong Prom Date (The Wrong Match Book 3)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • It's a Prank: A Sweet YA Romance (Sweet Water High, #8)
  • The Kissing Tutor: A Standalone Sweet Romance (Sweet Water High, #11)
  • Challenge Accepted
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more

Ellie Sweet (2 books)