Start by marking “Come Little Children” as Want to Read:
Come Little Children

Come Little Children

A hidden town. A paranormal rumor. A family secret.

The Nolan morgue is more than just an ordinary funeral home. When their newest employee uncovers a supernatural conspiracy connected to a string of child murders, she must use every shred of her intelligence to stop a new breed of serial killer and escape the morgue alive.

Full Synopsis:

“There are strange things done in
Paperback, 1, 466 pages
Published October 30th 2013 by Bellwoods Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Come Little Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Little Children

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars

This was an intriguing novel that mixes horror with family drama. The best elements of the novel involved the mortician and cremation work. I personally love body horror so I enjoyed those deliciously gross and morbid scenes. The writing itself was quite strong with vivid descriptions. However, the character development and pacing of the plot were off. The ending felt rushed, failing to create enough suspense and then resolving too quickly to appreciate the final reveals. This was a nov
Nicky Peacock
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a surprisingly great book! I don’t tend to pick books like this, I prefer straight forward urban fantasy and paranormal romance as a rule, but this one really caught hold of my attention and did not let it go. In fact, I almost read it all in one sitting (but dastardly real life got in the way!)

I instantly loved the protagonist. In the opening scene she devises a plan to strap together corpses to survive a plane crash – which of course doesn’t happen. But the fact she went through thi
Raymond
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Jana Washington
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this as an ARC from Goodreads.

It says a lot that I rated a horror novel 4 out of 5. I don't read or watch horror. Ever. They just aren't very entertaining. I think it helped a lot that the main character, Camilla, was super quirky and morbid. At times, she's a little too curious for her own good. The novel has a very gothic feel to it. The entire first half of the book set up the action at the end. Camilla, a mortuary school graduate, gets a job at a funeral home in Alaska. While there, s
Cameron
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

Where to even start with this review? I’ll be honest and say that of all the books I’ve read this year, this one disturbed me the most, and I loved every minute of it! If you want a story that is guaranteed to creep you out and make your fur stand on end, this is the book for you. I have to give major purrs and tail waves of approval to Melhoff for writing a deliciously chilling tale. I only wish I could give it more than the allotted five paws. =^
Lindsey Albright
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lindsey Albright by: Teri Graham
This was a really intense book. I've been looking for horror stories that involve motherhood and children for a while because I think it's a really unique perspective that I certainly haven't seen willy-nilly. This particular story was really different and parts of it were hard to read because I had to really wrap my mind around what was going on.
The main character was intriguing. The love interest could have used a bit more oomph in the development department but he was believable enough. I fe
Michelle
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can't really put my finger on why I liked this book so much, but it was a very pleasant surprise. Despite the author's sometimes distracting overuse of descriptors, the characters and plot were compelling. What seemed at first to be just a mildly creepy ghost story built slowly and carefully up to flat-out horror, and the pacing was perfect. By the final chapters, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.
Tina
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I hated this book. The first half of this book just dragged. On more than one occasion I was tempted to give up on it. The second half was slightly better but I was hugely relieved when I finished it.
Regan
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First and far most, this is the second book to enter my "Best of 2014" Category! Holy crap this was awesome. Dark and haunting with a dry, quick wit that added the perfect combination of intrigue and interest.What a way to kick off the new year. D. Melhoff is a fantastic writer. Not only was I completely engaged in the book and characters, I was completely attracted to the words usage in the book. It is rare, with modern authors, that you find a novel that actually has me using the dictionary to ...more
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
*I won this book through Goodreads FirstReads Giveaways.*

Ok...wow, I'm not sure if I can write a proper review of this book because most everything I'm wanting to mention would definitely be a spoiler. But suffice it to say, I loved this book.

It was scary. And chilling. And disturbing. And yet, it also has some really funny moments (some of them were of the morbidly funny ilk, though). I was pretty much sucked in at the beginning and was instantly engrossed. If Mr. Melhoff's next book is as good
Taylor
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Come little children is a fish out of water mystery, with a girl coming into a town to work in the funeral home. Across the town the people stay away from the family that runs it, but we initially are not sure why. The main character, camilla, is aware of certain strange things going on, and dives in to solve her growing questions. She makes a decision for the sake of family, but the way she goes about it causes a terribly backfire.

Camilla is an interesting character; with a dark sense of humor
T.R. Horne
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*received as a Goodreads First Read giveaway*

I thoroughly enjoyed every page of Melhoff's gruesome, dark and humorous novel. The perfect layering of emotions and action make this long story (at 444 pages) an easy, fluid read. Camilla is the main character that finds herself questioning strange happenings at the mortuary she's been newly hired to as an embalming specialist. She learns the families secret after falling for Peter, a young, sweet member of the family. There are some moments in this
Melissa Chung
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle-books
I'm giving this book 4 stars because some of the adjectives were overused and there was an over abundance of shoddy metaphors.

This is an adult supernatural horror story about a 26 year old mortician named Camilla. She has graduated mortuary school and has been offered a job at a very old funeral home in Yukon, Alaska. Nolan is the town she is heading to and when a fellow passenger on her flight to Dawson City finds out she's heading there, he asks the logical question. "What's a cute girl like y
David
Oct 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a dreadful case of bait and switch. For those believing the synopsis on the back of the book, please don't! The actual book bears little resemblance. No serial killer. No slate of child murders. A plot so thin you could use it as tracing paper. Stock characters, ludicrous situations, a dazzling lack of logic, and a finale that is so stupidly unsatisfying you'll groan out loud. What a complete waste of time!
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this kept me completely hooked and on edge throughout. From the very beginning it grabs you and drags you into a world where macabre, dark events are unfolding. Totally compelling. I haven't read a book that has made me want to read peeking through splayed fingers in much the same way you might peek through fingers at a horror movie for a long time. Thoroughly recommend. A well deserved 5 stars. I don't know if the author has written anything else but if they have I will be reading it!!
Ahmed Saad
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Two thumbs up. The book is exciting and actually very funny, which I wasn’t expecting. Good descriptions, and a few really good scenes where we get a glimpse of what’s going on in Camilla’s head (I love the hearse song!!). On top of that, there are lots of twists and scary situations. Very strong story that thriller-readers will appreciate.
Brittney Mcfry
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the scariest most suspenseful book I've ever read!!! This author did everything right in my opinion. I have not one complaint. The plot was twisted and smart and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire read. I could not put this thriller down and the cliff hangers at the end of the chapters just made it that much harder. I would highly recommend this book!!!
Kristi Gibson
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To put it simply; ✮✮✮✮✮

The author makes you question the boundaries of love and compassion while taking you on a twisted journey that walks the line between right and wrong. I found myself wondering what I would do if I was in Camilla's place; that is if I would have lasted as long as her.

It's an amazing read.
Bobbie Grob
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. It was suspenseful and had a few plot twists, and I was pleased with the story overall. The characters really did not grab me as much as they could have. I would've enjoyed more depth and dimension in all of them. They seemed like one-trick ponies instead of real people with intricate thoughts, ideas, and motives.
Melissa
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A very gripping and gruesome story.
I very much enjoyed this book. Part 1 starts a little slow but WOW! Definitely worth reading. A life giving tree,zombies,murder,a mortuary. A little romance thrown in. What more could you ask for in this Sci-fi thriller?
This book will leave you chilled to the bone.
Ashley
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely a page turner. Super suspenseful read that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Out of the whole book only one thing happened that I thought would but not in the way I imagined..it was so much better. I was surprised to learn that this is the author's first novel. He seems like a seasoned writer. Look forward to reading his future works!!
Deeann
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
I won a signed copy of this book but had actually already purchased it on my kindle....so glad I did because I loved this book! You can never have to much of a good thing! Spooky and slightly bizarre is how I would describe this book ! LOVED IT !
David
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly good read, I bought this after reading all the positive reviews. I wasn't disappointed, a well written chiller with doses of dark humour thrown in for good measure. Thoroughly enjoyable, original novel. Looking forward to seeing what Mr Melhoff has in store in future publications!
Nicole Draeger
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Horror is my genre of choice & this is right up my alley. There are some incredibly weird turns, even for this genre & that's what I loved about it. It doesn't read like the same old, same old.
Nic Parenteau
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this different due to the fact that it is outside my usual genre of books. It reminded me of the time years ago when I read King, Koontz and Saul. Overall, wasn't too bad. I would read another of this Author.
Ashley
Jun 17, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own on Kindle.

FS: "The old hands worked carefully with the added confidence of having done this hundreds of times."

LS: "And as sleep washed over her, so too did the peace that came with knowing the nightmare was finally over."
Becky
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great. I was glad for a somewhat happy ending amid all the gore and chaos. I started out thinking Camilla was a little strange but she was nothing compared to the Vincent family. I really like her and Peter's relationship.
Amanda Konarek
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

Pretty original story. I liked it. Kids are always creepy. The last few chapters were a little bumpy but worth the read.
Susan
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, a great novel that sent chills up and down my spine! A terrific scary, nail biting novel!
Lissa
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and I'm not a fan of horror,

• The Floors
  • The Unseen
  • Little Sister Death
  • Oubliette: A Forgotten Little Place
  • Djinn (Djinn, #1)
  • In the Dying Eyes of Night (Graces of Faded Angels, #1)
  • Plaster Scene
  • Kill/Off
  • School of Shadows
**Please note: A limited number of complimentary ebook copies of THE EASTER WITCH are available for review. Please email me directly with the word "EASTER" in the subject line if you are interested: d.melhoff@gmail.com**

D. Melhoff is a master of making the fun and bizarre go hand in hand. Along with the rich, one-of-a-kind illustrations of Ariane Elsammak, his twisted tales are exciting, vintage-f